Art of the Promo

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220

If you like your post apocalyptic dystopian future fiction,  that often results in survivors congregating after any number of possible SHTF scenarios, you'll appreciate the Survivors outpost by Ansiko with all the atmosphere and destruction. 

They may just have their sights set on a little global domination with Orestes new Scifi construction building set.

Not everyday we get to see comicbook art included in product Promos,  but today's ComicBook Creation Foundations tutorial by Drew Spence offer just that.  Good Stuff.

edited October 2018

Little bit of scifi ingenuity with  with the tunneling rig by DavidBeinnen and ForbiddenWhispers.  Time for a little diggin'  some great color mixing on this.

Post edited by FirstBastion on

Kindred Arts new STORM promo,  featuring some inclement weather F/X.  Something big this way comes...

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Kindred Arts new STORM promo,  featuring some inclement weather F/X.  Something big this way comes...

I love this thread and every time it surfaces I'll have a look to see what's new. I like looking at the promo images and are wowed by plenty of them, but I've never felt moved to post anything here until I saw the above image. As soon as I saw that the thread had seen new activity, I knew that you'd beaten me to it - I think it's absolutely awesome :)

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,217

Hey! Thanks @Astracadia and @FirstBastion of course! I really enjoyed making these and i'm so glad people appreciate them. I've attached the original 3440x1440 version with no watermark if anyone want's it smiley

KAIS Popup_4.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 1M
  • Hey! Thanks @Astracadia and @FirstBastion of course! I really enjoyed making these and i'm so glad people appreciate them. I've attached the original 3440x1440 version with no watermark if anyone want's it smiley

adds that to the backgrounds rotation

• Hey! Thanks @Astracadia and @FirstBastion of course! I really enjoyed making these and i'm so glad people appreciate them. I've attached the original 3440x1440 version with no watermark if anyone want's it smiley

Any chance to get a tutorial on how you made these? 

Perspective and wider landscape tend to confound a lot of people and this picture is so well done, I just *need* to know how you managed the depth and background

Perspective and wider landscape tend to confound a lot of people and this picture is so well done, I just *need* to know how you managed the depth and background

I'm sure KA will eventually anwser with more details,  I can tell you that the scene is set on the Rural Crossroads  full landscape. https://www.daz3d.com/rural-crossroads

The camera is placed at the mouth of the mountain tunnel facing outward.  A default daz studio camera has a 65 mm focal length but this looks to be opened wide,  atleast 25-35mm,  the traffic signs, telephone poles,  pavement dips, dead trees,  bridge railings,  and concrete are all part of the rural crossroads set.  KA made these promos for  showcasing his IRAYstorm rain product so it is creating the rain and pool of water on the pavement.  Some houses are added in the mid distance,  I don't spefically know which ones,  but they could be Collective3D homes. There's a nice variety in the catalog.  The giant mech,  only going on silhuette is possibly either a Stonmason's or DzFire's robot sized up atleast 800-1000% and placed further down the road. 

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,217

Hey! Thanks @Astracadia and @FirstBastion of course! I really enjoyed making these and i'm so glad people appreciate them. I've attached the original 3440x1440 version with no watermark if anyone want's it smiley

Well i'm flattered that you're interested, I'll do my best! Bastion pretty much summed up my set-up above (thank you!), It's rural crossroads, DZ's mech (scaled up), and the law enforcement outfit for G3M. The houses are just low poly meshes i whipped up for the scene, i didn't have any full C3D houses sad, oh and this is the car. The weather effects are from my storm set obviously. I think that's about it for content.

Other than that, my advice is a little bit abstract. Color and composition is pretty much key here, as it is for most of the renders i do (...and so should you!). I'm actually trying to draw your eye's to the officer in this scene, otherwise there's very little in the scene to enforce the size of the mech. I used a limited complementary palette with the brightest, warmest area of the screen being the officer. The officer is also in the foreground, further guiding the eye towards him. Even the set itself is guiding the eye towards him with the concrete barriers. Once the viewer has seen the car/officer, they can judge the scale of everything else in the piece, including the mech which is obviously the most important element. You really don't need massive, complex scene's to convey scale, you just need a point of reference. Once you have your point of reference, use color, light and framing to draw the viewers eye. You can even see it in FB's signature (on the right), there's a character in the foreground to give perspective and scale to the background.

Here are some great videos by Andrew Price that explains Color and Composition and how to use them effectively, they really aren't very long but are immensely helpful. Even if my ramblings above don't make any sense, watch these, they're worth the time.

I'm really not the Mr Miyagi of the Art world but i hope the above was useful, if you have any more questions, let me know. Good Luck!

• Balancing one's Karma with a more peaceful scene here. Chinese Temple Gate by AntFarm could be a still from an animated movie.  Worth having a look at it full size on the page. 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited November 2018

These are a couple of the amazing Promo's from @Strangefate's and Roguey EuroApt it is an amazing Apartment by far!

EuroApt-07-Daz3d.jpg
    1304 x 748 - 281K
    european-style-apartment-05-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 731 - 119K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • Wow spooky Tv.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited November 2018

@Darwinsmishaps new charactor Jared just came out today and I thought it deserved a spot in this thread for awesome 3d art!!

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Epic Last Wave by Marshian.  Not looking good for the folkes on the yacht.

• Everything old is new again while taking a drive on some Rural Crossroads out in the country amidst the Roadside Flowering plants by Martin Frost. 

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

This is such a fun image.  And shows a small portion of the props available in the new Nights of Romance set by ARTCollaborations.

edited December 2018

Orestes Graphics Angry Heavens HDRI skys suggests inclement weather in the forecast,  and looking at this empty playground,   the words tornado and the storm shelter come to mind. People running,  a bit of mayhem,  very evocative of the possibilities.

This one is awesome too against the breaking waves.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • Purely a nostalgia post.  I have a couple of these oldies sitting on a shelf so the retro vibe is strong here. Merlin has captured a bit a history.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

What a fun image.  It made me smile.

• Allessandro AM new chimpanzee has some great promos today.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

The promo images for KindredArts' Iray Blizzard are really cool! https://www.daz3d.com/iray-blizzard

I especially like this one - it looks almost like a still from a chase scene in a movie.

Outstanding work! :)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited December 2018

There's something about the promo images for the Exile Poses by Shimuzu that are so magnetic. https://www.daz3d.com/exile-poses-for-nix-8-and-genesis-8-male

I don't usually get so drawn in by the promo imagery for pose sets, but these are beautiful, imo.

Post edited by 3Diva on

If you're liking sci-fi movies,  HH Raveger Drone harkens to one of the classics tough battle beasts.  Dust,  dirt and death.  Cool promo.

• Brown Bear by AM  One with nature.

Have you been watching Brother Bear.... seems like it.

David Brinnen and Forbiddenwhispers steampunk airship takes to the setting sun sky and possible adventures.

Andrey Pestryakov's Medieval lands is just majestics with the castles and terrain.  Creative way of generating a large epic environment to tell a story.  Details up close cool visuals on the horizon.

• SloshWerks masterwork of details in the Triple Woods Moon cottage

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Thanks so much for the spotlight! I was going for epic, that for sure. 

Epic Last Wave by Marshian.  Not looking good for the folkes on the yacht.