Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    Quasar said:

It seems there isn't much happening with this thread or the product right now. However, I'm activating the plugin for the first time since installing it on my current computer, and I'm wondering which of the four personal codes I'm supposed to choose for activating. Does it matter? Is the proper one listed in my DAZ account somewhere? I don't remember the number I used the very first time I activated the plugin.

I forget the exact steps, but there is some kind of process where the activation area in DAZ Studio links you to a place on Alessandro's website, where you have to put in your serial number (from your account here), and then use whatever code that other website gives you, plus the serial code, to activate the login. If you're copying/pasting, make absolutely sure you're not picking up any extra spaces before or after the activation code from the other website, and make sure you're putting the serial code in the slot intended for it (in plugin activation area in DS) and ditto the activation code. Good luck!

• Quasar said:

It seems there isn't much happening with this thread or the product right now. However, I'm activating the plugin for the first time since installing it on my current computer, and I'm wondering which of the four personal codes I'm supposed to choose for activating. Does it matter? Is the proper one listed in my DAZ account somewhere? I don't remember the number I used the very first time I activated the plugin.

Hi, it doesn't matter what Personal Code you pick, each one is fine. To activate check the manual: https://www.furrythings.com/LAMH1.5/LAMH.manual.1.5.zip , or follow the instructions on the activation window: basically you have to visit the web link displayed there, enter the data and get the activation key.

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 568
    edited December 2018

Thank you both for the help! It's up and running. Now I have to figure it all out again lol. 

I do have another question though. The plugin wouldn't work until I created a new folder directory in "E:\Users\Wesley\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\Content". That isn't where my content is located though. Is there a way to change the directory in LAMH to my actual content folder or will it still let me save to any content folder I choose?

Post edited by Quasar on
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    JOdel said:

I have seen that the most recent of AM's creatures are optimized for the Catalyzer these days. But I'm still watching for new releases of critters with standard LAMH presets included. 

I've picked up most of them, usually on release, but there are some woodland creatures which I have a potential need for, but which do not seem to exist yet.

For example, with the rodents series, some new mice, or rats. A hamster would be welcome as well. I've got Noggins's old one, but it doesn't have fur. 

Other creatures; a ferret -- various people have wanted one of those for years. And I find myself with a potential project that is going to need a badger. (An oppossum would also be welcome, since those tend to show up even in suburbs.)

Are there any plans to build any of these on the general to-do list?

Have you ever been able to use LAMH with other products have it work?  It always crashes for me.  I did also purchase the Catalyzer, not realizing that it was only for AM's creations.  I thought it was going to help with all LAMH creations.  So much potential use, but I haven't been able to use it.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,247
    edited December 2018

I didn't purchase the Catalyzer. I'd mainly only used the free player, although I did purchase the full program yonks ago, and I think that is what I'm running now. I don't do Iray, so I wasn't really the audience that I think the Catalyzer was meant for. 

I have been able to use the presets that have been made for varying animal models. As well as certain morphs for human models like RawArt's ApeWorld for I think it was G2M.

It gets a bit tricky once you have more than one animal in the scene that you want to put fur on. But it can be done. 

I had some problems for quite a while where I couldn't get more than just the guide hairs to render, but that seems to have been due to having both the player and the full version installed at the same time. It cleared up with a deinstalll of both and a reinstall of the full program, even though I have yet to try to build anything like a preset of my own. 

(If this actually attached -- there's no indication that it did -- these are both using Sayaness's freee presets for the Hivewire cat.)

14-Cats.jpg
    799 x 706 - 365K
    Post edited by JOdel on
  • Quasar said:

I know you use the DAZ one and then you will go to the LAMH site where you will get another one. BOTH of those are needed to activate the plug-in the first time after install or re-install.

• Hello,

I purchased a license back in Jan, I activated and it worked. After not using DS for a while, on starting LAMH, it is asking for activation again. The "Personal code" is not the same as last time (in fact, in the drop down menu there are 6 different personal codes, none are the same as original). So the question is, does LAMH need to be ativated on a regular basis with a different personal code? It will be a pain since the PC it is used on is not connected to the internet.

No, LAMH does not need reactivated at regular times.  However, sometimes Windows 10 updates will trash the computations needed for verification.  Send a request for a fix.

Kendall

Hi Kendall,

So what is the fix for the trashed computations on Win 10 64bit? Can you post the fix here for everyone to see? I am thinking of purchasing LAMH full, but reading through this entire thread has me very nervous that it will be a waste of time and money. I am running Win 10, DAZ Studio 4.10 is installed on a different drive, and my content library resides on a NAS. Thanks in advance! I really just want to put some cute fur on the HW House Cat. :(

• Hi, I havn't read through so if this is covered else where forgive me. I just got the full LAMH plug in and it wont install, the installer looks like it has run corectly but there is noting showing up any where in daz studio and when I ran a system wide serch for it there was noting on my computer at all.

I have never had any other version of LAMH installed.

I am installing manually as the art computer does not have internet capability.

I am on a windows 7 pc with DS 4.9.

I have tried rebooting after installing, redownloading the installer in case its was borked, tried installing with DS open and shut, tried both the recomended install configeration and custom every thing has the same result. 

I am at the point of cutting my losses and just getting a refund and binning the program 

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

did you look in your plugins?

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited December 2018

Hi, I havn't read through so if this is covered else where forgive me. I just got the full LAMH plug in and it wont install, the installer looks like it has run corectly but there is noting showing up any where in daz studio and when I ran a system wide serch for it there was noting on my computer at all.

I have never had any other version of LAMH installed.

I am installing manually as the art computer does not have internet capability.

I am on a windows 7 pc with DS 4.9.

I have tried rebooting after installing, redownloading the installer in case its was borked, tried installing with DS open and shut, tried both the recomended install configeration and custom every thing has the same result. 

I am at the point of cutting my losses and just getting a refund and binning the program 

I was having a similar issue. In my case I think I was expected something to be in places other than it was. First check under Help - About Installed Plugins and see if it is listed there and then be sure it has a green plug next to it and if so then try checking the following two places:

LAMH2.png
    2048 x 2048 - 813K
    LAMH1C.png
    2048 x 2048 - 856K
    Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

Lookat the "Help" tab for "About installed Plugins " scroll down until you find "Look at My Hair" plugin if it is installed  it will have either a red or a green plug shap if it's red you need to register it if it's green it's all good ,then you need to go to the "Window" tab and open "Panes" scroll down to find "Look at My Hair" click on it to open that window .....

• I just want to poke my head in and say... I still use LAMH, I reinstall it (and copy the plugin files) over to every version of DS). I use it on older critters, A LOT. Like noggins rat, like housemouse, the Millenium cat, etc. The on l y difference is that for Iray, you have to export to fiberhair if you do your own non-catalyzer presets. Many of Alessandro's animals have their own catalyzer presets, which I adore, but currently other peple can't use them. ALso make sure figures you use LAMH on are A: not parented to something and B: have regular non iray shaders, i think it helps. Also not subdivided. 

I need to remember how to save and share my LAMH presets and make some of them available... I'm also working on a "fuzzy" hair displacement for a rodent mouse for Alessandro's rodentia because it's so small :) I've got a "temp" mouse morph (which I'm not sharing because it blew the rigging to crap, sigh) that i'm using for mouse pics until Alessandro finishes the mouse he's started (yes, guys, he started a mouse, and no, i haven't stopped pestering him for it, either! Hahahaha!)  For those that forget, I'm obsessed with mice :) 
    I've gotta share the noggins rat and house mouse LAMH presets and oso fuzzy presets for Christmas.

And, if anyone has the veeeeeeeery old CP lab mouse (white lab mouse) I may share that too. Below: Noggin's Rats and House mouse, last is the CP mouse and free JT mouse (which uh has awful rigging but can be somewhat used?) with OsoFurry shader geoshells. I keep dreaming of getting Alessandro's new mouse shape... it's all I want for Christmas!!! (besides health insurance, new glasses, a trip to the dentist, and a coat for my son).... :P

mice.jpg
    652 x 520 - 210K
    mice.jpg
    652 x 520 - 210K
  • ...until Alessandro finishes the mouse he's started (yes, guys, he started a mouse, and no, i haven't stopped pestering him for it, either! Hahahaha!) 

Ooh that's great news!

Awesome mice renders, too =)

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

I'm using an animal and trying to attach an lmh preset to it.  The preset is 3dl, and has tail fur, body fur and hair fur.  I was told to select all those fur parts and just apply the defalult Uber shader to them. So, now they're all Iray, but I'm using the old lamh plugin.  I try to use the 'to obj' which I was told to do, and it won't ever do it. You can click over and over and it won't work.  If I do the 'attach preset' and the green hairs attach to the animal, the shave drop down only shows 'shave1' It won't let me add any shave sets for the body/ears/tail.  If I render it as is, it renders, but the hair doesn't show. I go to where my presets are supposed to be, and there's no geometry since it wouldn't work with 'to obj', and there's no preset either.

I'm going nuts with this. Help please.

• Not sure how much, or even if it should make a difference, but the times I've tried a LaMH Iray render, I've converted to Fibermesh instead of to obj, then apply the Uber shader. Note that it does take some time (several minutes) to complete the conversion, but I've never (fingers crossed) had a LaMH or D|S crash yet. Not because of this, anyway...

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

Wait... you can convert to fibermesh?  

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,247

Er... I *think* I recall Redz having said that she builds her hairs starting from LAMH, and then converts them during her workflow. I know that the ones she sells usually have both 3DL and Iray materials.

• You can export as fibermesh with the full LAMH, but not with the LAMH player.

In order to render in 3DL, you do not have to export to either obj or fibermesh.  In order to render in Iray, you have to export to one or the other.  Exporting to obj takes ages (literally hours, sometimes, depending on your computer's power), and results in enormous file sizes (2-4 gb for a single figure's hair).  Exporting to fibermesh takes less time (perhaps 1-20 minutes, depending), and generates smaller file sizes (500 mb - 2 gb).  In either case, DAZ will freeze while it processes the request.  If you are using the full LAMH, I have always gotten better success rates by exporting to obj/fibermesh from the editor dialogue box than from the LAMH docked pane.  The export process will run separately for each shavegroup, and you have to hit "ok" between each step, which is a bit of a nuisance, but if you cancel one of the steps, the whole process stops.  If you are only getting one shavegroup exported, then that is why.

If you apply the Uber shader to the exported hair preset, remember to hold down "Ctrl" when clicking, and then ignore maps.  I personally prefer to use the hair shaders from Mec4D's "Unshaven" product, but without overwriting the maps.

edited December 2018

How would I know if the fur is fibermesh?  And I assume fibermesh is Iray? And I don't have zbrush, so how would I export as fibermesh?  I've only seen attach preset and to obj as the choices.

I have the full lamh. I bought it here when it first came out years ago.  My computer specs are in my signature.  I thought it would be enough.  I've worked with fur in the past and it went fine on my old 32 bit desktop but that was before Iray days.

I have a computer that's about 5 yr old, but it has a 650 w power supply and a new Nvidiaa 1070 Ti.   I had no trouble using it for the free long and short cat furs from HW. Pretty sure those were Iray...at least all the renders I did of them were Iray.

I'm confused about how to export it as fibermesh, then at what point do you add the iray shader?   I thought that had to be done while the fur (all the green lines) were still on the animal in the viewport.  But as I said before, I get a message there's only 1 shave area and I can't do separate ones for fur, body and ears.

Post edited by sapat on
  • HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,879
    edited December 2018
    sapat said:

How would I know if the fur is fibermesh?  And I assume fibermesh is Iray? And I don't have zbrush, so how would I export as fibermesh?  I've only seen attach preset and to obj as the choices.

I have the full lamh. I bought it here when it first came out years ago.  My computer specs are in my signature.  I thought it would be enough.  I've worked with fur in the past and it went fine on my old 32 bit desktop but that was before Iray days.

I have a computer that's about 5 yr old, but it has a 650 w power supply and a new Nvidiaa 1070 Ti.   I had no trouble using it for the free long and short cat furs from HW. Pretty sure those were Iray...at least all the renders I did of them were Iray.

I'm confused about how to export it as fibermesh, then at what point do you add the iray shader?   I thought that had to be done while the fur (all the green lines) were still on the animal in the viewport.  But as I said before, I get a message there's only 1 shave area and I can't do separate ones for fur, body and ears.

If you have the full LAMH then click on 'Show LAMH Editor'. When this opens there is a blue button to convert to Fibermesh at the top.

LAMH02.jpg
    1001 x 1043 - 189K
    LAMH01.jpg
    624 x 650 - 96K
    Post edited by Haruchai on
    Haruchai said:
    sapat said:

If you have the full LAMH then click on 'Show LAMH Editor'. When this opens there is a blue button to convert to Fibermesh at the top.

OMG, it's that easy?  Geez. Thanks so much!!  That's an enormous help.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

It's not fibermesh. It's fiberHAIR.

It's not exactly the same thing.

Oso3D said:

But will it work?  I keep hearing everyone talking about exporting it as 'fibermesh'.  If it's fiberhair, how does it get onto the animal?  I am now confused!!!

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    sapat said:
    Oso3D said:

But will it work?  I keep hearing everyone talking about exporting it as 'fibermesh'.  If it's fiberhair, how does it get onto the animal?  I am now confused!!!

It will load in the same position as the LAMH hair it's based on, just not parented to anything. The fiberhair pieces *can* be parented to the animal once created, but you need to be careful to select them and not the similarly named LAMH pieces, because the original LAMH components do not like being parented in my experience, and will crash the program.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,879
    edited December 2018
    sapat said:
    Oso3D said:

OK, to continue my earlier example.

In the editor click on FIBERHAIR (thanks for clarifying Oso3D). You will then get an export window. See pic below.

Choose a quantity/quality, best to go high, I just left it on the default for now. Click the EXPORT FIBERHAIR button. It will covert.

You then have a LAMH Group below your figure in the Scene tab. Highlight this, and in the Surfaces tab, and convert it to Iray using the standard DAZ Iray Shader preset. See pic called Convert.

Render, and if all went to plan it will now render in Iray. Mine is a very rough render just to show it working. I have also attached a crop of a picture I did of the Fox tail from the Genesis 2 Kibri Dress converted and rendered at a higher resolution.

Export.jpg
    620 x 540 - 76K
    Convert.jpg
    326 x 540 - 19K
    Render.png
    555 x 451 - 187K
    Fox.png
    385 x 329 - 202K
    Post edited by Haruchai on
    edited December 2018
    Haruchai said:
    sapat said:
    Oso3D said:

OK, to continue my earlier example.

In the editor click on FIBERHAIR (thanks for clarifying Oso3D). You will then get an export window. See pic below.

Choose a quantity/quality, best to go high, I just left it on the default for now. Click the EXPORT FIBERHAIR button. It will covert.

You then have a LAMH Group below your figure in the Scene tab. Highlight this, and in the Surfaces tab, and convert it to Iray using the standard DAZ Iray Shader preset. See pic called Convert.

Render, and if all went to plan it will now render in Iray. Mine is a very rough render just to show it working. I have also attached a crop of a picture I did of the Fox tail from the Genesis 2 Kibri Dress converted and rendered at a higher resolution.

Ok, now it makes sense. I'm def gonna save this thread so I can have it handy and refer to y'alls great explanations and help. laugh

Post edited by sapat on
  • Hey! I'm kind of new to Daz so it's probably a really simple thing but I bought Look At My Hair from the Daz store and downloaded it through the install manager and can't find how to open it anywhere in Daz. I tried "help"--> "about installed plugins" already and it still isn't showing up anywhere 

• LAMH is not working for me, I can't make an obj out of the hair.

I'm following this tutorial  to get this tiger to work in iray https://www.daz3d.com/white-tiger-for-daz-big-cat-2

1.  load the LAMH - White Tiger 
    2. Click at to OBJ in the LAHM Window and then this Window comes up > 
    3. A new window comes up asking me where I should save it?
    4. Then DAZ3D is unresponsive for a while.
    5. Then I get an .obj to the place where it asked me before but the OBJ is 0 mb big and nothing in my scene changed

What am I doing wrong here?
    I've been waiting for like 2 hours for it to do anything but the OBJ stays at 0 mb.

• Hey! I'm kind of new to Daz so it's probably a really simple thing but I bought Look At My Hair from the Daz store and downloaded it through the install manager and can't find how to open it anywhere in Daz. I tried "help"--> "about installed plugins" already and it still isn't showing up anywhere 

First you have to make sure the plugin is registered, which is under "help -> about installed plugins," but in order to run the plugin, you have to open it in "Windows -> Panes (Tabs) -> Look at my Hair.

•  

What am I doing wrong here?
    I've been waiting for like 2 hours for it to do anything but the OBJ stays at 0 mb.

Sometimes the export to obj process can be an overnighter, depending on your computer; it often is for me.  As long as DAZ is still frozen, the plugin is still working.  The file starts out as 0 MB, but then jumps to the full size only once the export is finished.

To test if it is in fact working, but without waiting all day, try changing the number of hair follicles to something like one or two hundred instead of the default hundreds of thousands.