Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

posting because apparently there was a thread taht split and then I stopped getting notifications.

I am bummed. $85 is way to high and no genesis in Carrara for me. Guess I'll keep up with older figures....

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

I've got those with my C8 Pro but thy are missing from C 8 .5 C 8.5 Pro. I'm mentioning that those files are missing since if you don't have the older version you have no way to get them.

I don't use DIM to download and those files are not included among the Manual download for C 8.5.

DAZ forgot to put them in C8.5. They did the same thing with the Native Content . DAZ did fix the missing Native Content problem a few hours ago so you can download the C8 Native Content if you have 8.5. The C8 Native Content now shows as being included in both C8 & C9.5 Pro now in My Product Library

The still need to fix the other missing files.

DAZ also removed all the older versions of Mimic Pro for Carrara too and now only the 8.5 version can be downloaded, so they need to fix that too so all versions can be downloaded like before.

-_Milo_- said:
    Jay_NOLA said:
    So other files are still missing that were in C8 Pro from the C8.5 downloads

These are:

Howie's Snow Scene
    C8 After Effect plug in file
    DigitalPainters 3DPaint Brushes Sampler
    Digital Painters Shaders
    The V4 Shaders
    The M4 Shaders.
    V4
    M4
    V4 Morphs
    Armasedea Hair
    Jai Hair
    M4 & V4 basic clothing

are you using DIM? since those were already in the library they won't show up again.

• greysgreys Posts: 335
    edited December 1969

Anyone know what outfit the girl on the cover is wearing? :)

• WallytheartistWallytheartist Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I wish Architools gets an update.. it seems it has been taken over!

• UnseenUnseen Posts: 603
    edited December 1969

Frank__ said:
    Okay, owners of V5 Pro and M5 Pro won't get a discount on the update.

Maybe it would be possible to swap those two already bought packages to 1 (one) Aiko 5 or 1 (one) Victoria 6? So that the continuing supporters of DAZ don't feel like ....

And when you have them all? I have all the characters (pro bundles) and many, many, many... DAZ Originals.

• EventMobilEventMobil Posts: 11
    edited August 2013

No, not all is fine!
    I am really really pissed off as a longtime paying DAZ3D customer, plus annual Premium Member.

After owning already previous Carrara Pro versions, I decided to purchase C8.1 Pro only two months ago. I bought, because DAZ announced and announced and announced a "soon" release of the 8.5 PRO, and they wanted me to Beta test the 8.5 already in advance. Of course I assumed, that such an update (I don't see any justification to call it UPGRADE) would be free or some symbolic value like 19,99 Dollars. I assumed free update even more, after discovering that C8.1PRO was so unstable.

Now the long awaited and never planable update to 8.5 is there, and DAZ wants to charge me again with 85 Dollars. Meaning, if I had waited with my purchase for only 2 months, I would have had Carrara 8.5 PRO at exactly the same price which I paid for C8.1 PRO. But now, I am being punished for buying C8.1 with the promised update to 8.5 "soon", by paying 85 Dollars MORE than I would have paid when waiting 2 months.

On top of that, as a paying and active customer with DAZ3D since 2005, I had bought V5 PRO Suite and M5 PRO Suite already, at a total price of 272 Dollars. And I have read in this forum from many others, who see no value addition in this Addon-Bundle, because they bought it already before. The V5/M5 bundle is USELESS for us, because we own and PAID it already before!

It is nice if all those who never bought V5/M5 can be happy with an update price of 85 Dollars. Me, having already paid 272 Dollars on these "free items", I cannot be happy at all to pay another 85 Dollars in order to receive a Carrara version which runs stable. DAZ3D is again stupidly, brainlessly punishing especially those customers who are spending a lot of money to buy content. It happened already to me with DAZ Studio, later with Bryce.

Offer an update from 8.1 PRO to 8.5 PRO at a symbolic 19,99 Dollars without any free content which I don't need because I have bought it already for expensive money.

Short of that, I will never trust DAZ3D again, and will in future purchase my stuff elsewhere.

Post edited by EventMobil on
  • DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited August 2013

Well I didn't think update was going to be free, I know that people need to get paid for their work and I hardly ever see new features being given away for free from other software developers. Being one that's bought the Pro Bundles I have to wonder if I could've purchased the update cheaper were they not included but as they're marketed as a bonus I have no reason to believe their inclusion drove the price up, I've personally added free bonuses to my products that didn't affect cost and have had people ask me to remove them in order to lower prices so I know how that goes. I've also seen a lot of things on the market come up as cheap or free not long after I bought it (I actually paid full non-sale price for my Carrara originally which was $500+ here at DAZ), but I'm aware that's how the market is and know it's not much different than sales at Target. Only here I can return an item and get it for the lower price no questions asked within 30 days.

Post edited by DimensionTheory on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Well they must have fixed up the bugs so I got it for $85 I'm happy as !!!. One thing I will say program updates don't happen by themselves someone has the pay for the programing and resources to do it. Integrating the new technology would have been a huge job. So a big pat on the back for implementing all that, this is a huge upgrade plus I didn't have some of the free content :)

• EventMobilEventMobil Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

It is common standard, when you bought a software only short time ago, that you are subject to a free or "symbolic" update or upgrade. I bought the 8.1 PRO version only 2 months ago. And the offer of installing the 8.5 PRO Beta beside it to test the new version, implied for me that I was entitled for an upgrade to this, as soon as it is available.

DAZ should offer a free upgrade at least to those customers who bought C8.1 only recently, let's say 3 to 6 months ago. Because it is very clear, that these customers will feel very disappointed by DAZ selling them the old software at the same price as the new version which comes out only little later.

Don't you think that I would have waited for C8.5 PRO, had I known that DAZ will charge me another 85 dollars only 2 months later????

• DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Where was it said that you would be entitled to the upgrade for beta testing or purchasing within two months of the release? If it was said then you should certainly be entitled to it, I'm not aware of anything like that though.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 1969

oh shut up
    I paid $171
    because I jumped the gun
    $85 not too bad really

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

It is common standard, when you bought a software only short time ago, that you are subject to a free or "symbolic" update or upgrade. I bought the 8.1 PRO version only 2 months ago. And the offer of installing the 8.5 PRO Beta beside it to test the new version, implied for me that I was entitled for an upgrade to this, as soon as it is available.

DAZ should offer a free upgrade at least to those customers who bought C8.1 only recently, let's say 3 to 6 months ago. Because it is very clear, that these customers will feel very disappointed by DAZ selling them the old software at the same price as the new version which comes out only little later.

Don't you think that I would have waited for C8.5 PRO, had I known that DAZ will charge me another 85 dollars only 2 months later????

Try calling Customer Support and see what they can do for you.

Kendall

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Ehm ... excuse me?

Could somebody fix the store so that the ProBundle you didn't have before shows up as purchased after buying C8.5Pro?
    For example, I had M5 Pro Bundle, but not V5 Pro Bundle - M5 shows as purchased from before, but the V5 Pro Bundle page still says in green "add to cart".

Is it correct that the size of the Carrara 8.5 Native Content is 1.63 MB ?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited December 1969

No, not all is fine!
    Offer an update from 8.1 PRO to 8.5 PRO at a symbolic 19,99 Dollars without any free content which I don't need because I have bought it already for expensive money.

Amen on that.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

oh shut up
    I paid $171
    because I jumped the gun
    $85 not too bad really

But you bought before they fixed the price glitch. They should credit you the difference.

I would be delighted to personally give you that myself as your posts are so helpful to newbies and experts alike. Please pm me!

:) :) :) SileneUK

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Ehm ... excuse me?

Is it correct that the size of the Carrara 8.5 Native Content is 1.63 MB ?

M5 and V5 Shader Presets

edited December 1969

Thanks for answering!

OK, now for the
    Carrara 8 Native Content

C8 - Native Content (Mac) 184.80 MB download
    C8 - Native Content (Win) 179.23 MB download
    Carrara 8 Native Content 176.78 MB download

OK, I am on WIN, but what about the file with 176.78 MB????

Sorry, totally confused ...

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Thanks for answering!

OK, now for the
    Carrara 8 Native Content

C8 - Native Content (Mac) 184.80 MB download
    C8 - Native Content (Win) 179.23 MB download
    Carrara 8 Native Content 176.78 MB download

OK, I am on WIN, but what about the file with 176.78 MB????

Sorry, totally confused ...

I think the file size differences are due to the installers, and the last one is probably a zip file with no installer.

Maybe,,,

edited December 1969

Sounds ... sensible.
    Sensible? Here?
    LOL!
    Thanks !

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Sounds ... sensible.
    Sensible? Here?
    LOL!
    Thanks !

Even scarier...

Sensible? ME??

And without even mentioning The Millennium Cow ONCE??

I'm starting to worry now.

• edited August 2013

I can not believe v8.5 is a purchase and not a free upgrade , I`d been waiting for months this time for the bugs to be sorted out before updating . And version 9 is the version I`d been waiting for . Times must be hard , Daz couldn't even get my PC right and had even forgot to continue collecting my subscription .
    As I have been with Daz since the beginning of time ,I had not thought I`d been dropped my the PC. Anyway , point is , 8.5 was an expected Free update ( may be wrong but remember reading so in forum ) until version 9 to iron out the beta bugs . Come on Daz . . . .:cheese:

Note : Not a new member , joined 2003 ?

Post edited by erniewise2_bc325c8024 on
    edited December 1969

I can not believe v8.5 is a purchase and not a free upgrade , I`d been waiting for months this time for the bugs to be sorted out before updating . And version 9 is the version I`d been waiting for . Times must be hard , Daz couldn't even get my PC right and had even forgot to continue collecting my subscription .
    As I have been with Daz since the beginning of time ,I had not thought I`d been dropped my the PC. Anyway , point is , 8.5 was an expected Free update ( may be wrong but remember reading so in forum ) until version 9 to iron out the beta bugs . Come on Daz . . . .:cheese:

8.5 was always advertised as a paid update.

I'm surprised so many people missed all the speculation over how much it would be. Free was never once mentioned except as a request by those who didn't want to pay (myself included) (and no - I didn''t buy it).

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

8.5 was always advertised as a paid update.

I'm surprised so many people missed all the speculation over how much it would be. Free was never once mentioned except as a request by those who didn't want to pay (myself included) (and no - I didn''t buy it).
    Phew! Thank heavens! I thought I had hallucinated the past 6 months or so and all the posts and threads about how much the C8.5 uograde would cost. I half-expected to wake in the shower with someone whispering "it's free..." in my ear ;)

• SwitchbackSwitchback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I remember them saying "it will be a minimum charge"..........

• ArtFantasyArtFantasy Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

oh shut up
    I paid $171
    because I jumped the gun
    $85 not too bad really

Hey Wendy,
    same was done to me, I also paid 171, but ownned Carrara 8.1 and earlye since a long time, ans I'm a Platinum Club Member since years too.
    Opened a Ticket (since 23 Houers), but nobody answers...
    Klaus

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I too am seeing 8.5 pro native content as 157KB - which only seems to be shaders for V5 & M5 - guess we are supposed to use the carrara 8 native content then add this? or did someone forget to add the rest of the content ;)

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited August 2013

So, if I buy in, I will be part of this Platinum Club.

Am I correct in assuming I cannot use the $6 coupons on things like Fenric's Carrara stuff? (i.e. its only for things that have "Shop more by: DAZ 3D" above the picture?)

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Store straightened out enough that I could finally purchase it.

I also discovered that though I've been a member of Platinum Club for years and almost never used it (just had it autobilled month after month) about 2 months ago for no apparent reason Daz stopped autobilling me and - how convenient! - I was dropped from the Platinum Club. So I had to rejoin.

But actually thinking about it, it's not such a bad thing. I'm thinking of the hundreds of dollars I wasted on PC up til now, month after month rebilling and me almost never purchasing or making any use of it, especially since they changed the store and forums and I couldn't even log in for several months, and I'm thinking it's good thing they dropped me from the perpetual rebilling. I got the 3 month PC for this purchase, and once that runs out I highly doubt I'll ever rejoin. Except maybe to get Carrara 9, that is if there even ever is a version 9...

Brighter news, I also was able to get Philw's Portrait Studio, which I've been looking forward to. Hopefully after I get all the new stuff installed I'll get a chance to play with it :)

• Techrat3DTechrat3D Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

The following steps helped me:
    1. I put the Pro version in my cart, and went to the checkout without placing my order.
    2. Took a screenshot.
    3. Opened a ticket and attached the screenshot.
    4. 24 hours later the problem was fixed.
    5. Bought the Pro version at the right price.
    6. Uninstalled my old version of Carrara, including addons.
    7. Downloaded and installed the Pro version via DIM.
    8. Downloaded and installed the updated version of Mimic Pro manually (not DIM compatible yet).
    9. Posted this reply. ;)

Hope this helps everyone still having problems.

edited December 1969

By the way, for those asking how long the 50% off for former owners are working:
    For Two Weeks Only!
    From here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/sales-promotions/#carrara
    Look at the right ...