Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited August 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    WandW said:
    Price just showed correctly for me... :)

...I'm still seeing it for 171$ even though I'm a PC member and signed in.
    Showing where?
    ....ach, went back and read the first several pages, put it in my cart just to see, and yes it now shows 85.50$. I really wish that would be shown up front for it's a bit confusing.

Considering that the M5 bundle alone (which I do not have) costs slightly more by itself and I get Genesis compatibility to boot still makes this a good deal.

Thankfully the offer is good for the next two weeks so I can use my Sept PC coupon and hopefully a GC from one of the challenges to knock the cost down a bit more (bad time to be unemployed).

Experimented with bringing my Genesis/Leela character into the Beta and she looks good. Have most of the Howie Farkes sets ready to go as I plan to use them and the Forest Building Kit for illustrations relating to the story I am working on.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited August 2013

It was my understanding that it would pick it up where ever it is, but atm it is a runtime dir, are you saying I have to have to different runtimes, or if I tell Carrara that they are all content folders will it pick up the poser content as well?
    You are in a runtime directory, which will give you the CR2 because that is what is there. If you are in the folder that doesn't say runtime, that is where the DUF file is. Carrara reads both types of files, but the CR2 is not a true CR2 so Carrara can't read it but it will try to.
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

If my purchase went through as $170 when I'm part of platinum club and own the previous versions, what is the best way for me to rectify it? Should I cancel the order and return it before buying another copy or should I ask for them to replace the cost difference?

edited December 1969

If my purchase went through as $170 when I'm part of platinum club and own the previous versions, what is the best way for me to rectify it? Should I cancel the order and return it before buying another copy or should I ask for them to replace the cost difference?
    File a support ticket and they will refund the difference.
  • NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Just ask them to refund the difference.
  • agdepagdep Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can't believe it, for the first time the discount appeared without surprises, I'm happy :) The goblins from the site are not against me!

I´m using the unlucky DIM to install, and only see carrara 8.5 (32 & 64) and carrara 8.5 native content (std & pro), It's because I had V5&M5; Pro already installed in DS 46? I had to reinstall all the genesis content in carrara 8.5?

Thanks

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:

Note that Autofit will not work, yet, between TriAx Figures, so not between Genesis and Genesis2 Female. And Victoria 4 shoes will not work on Genesis 2 Female, if you have the V4 UV and clone set for Genesis 2 Female.

Is this something that will be coming in the near future, or closer to the release of C9?

Unfortunately I don't know. There are a couple things higher on the priority list of the known issues and it is definitely something that is not trivial.

Thnaks for the response. Is there a way to see a list of known issues? I looked through zendesk--I must be overlooking something. I'm just curious to know what I should avoid.

edited December 1969

agdep said:
    I can't believe it, for the first time the discount appeared without surprises, I'm happy :) The goblins from the site are not against me!

I´m using the unlucky DIM to install, and only see carrara 8.5 (32 & 64) and carrara 8.5 native content (std & pro), It's because I had V5&M5; Pro already installed in DS 46? I had to reinstall all the genesis content in carrara 8.5?

Thanks

You shouldn't need to reinstall any Genesis content, but you will need to make sure your content directories are mapped in Carrara.
  • NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

agdep said:

Thanks

yes you should just point Carrara towards your DS content folder no need to reinstall the same content twice
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    Salem2007 said:

Note that Autofit will not work, yet, between TriAx Figures, so not between Genesis and Genesis2 Female. And Victoria 4 shoes will not work on Genesis 2 Female, if you have the V4 UV and clone set for Genesis 2 Female.

Is this something that will be coming in the near future, or closer to the release of C9?

Unfortunately I don't know. There are a couple things higher on the priority list of the known issues and it is definitely something that is not trivial.

Thnaks for the response. Is there a way to see a list of known issues? I looked through zendesk--I must be overlooking something. I'm just curious to know what I should avoid.It was supposed to be in the Readme. Getting that fixed for you.

• DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    Just ask them to refund the difference.

File a support ticket and they will refund the difference.

Thank you!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,199
    edited August 2013

For those of you wanting to use Genesis, Genesis 2, Horse 2 and the other exciting, up and coming Triax stuff...
    You should consider having Daz Studio Pro as one of your tool garages. The new DS Pro really helps open up our creative possibilities for figure work in Carrara 8.5 Pro. Amazing software for carving an amazing future! ;)

Oh... and we have DAZ_Spooky and his kick ass team to thank for it! so...
    Thanks Spooky!!! ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

...and This Is Not a Free Version... it's just Free 'for a limited time'. So I would suggest to not wait. Buy it while it's free even if you wait to download it. But I think you'll really enjoy how easilyyou can create content to fit Genesis (and Genesis 2) using both software applications together as a kit! ;)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

thanks Daz, glad you are still working on Carrara ;)
    looking forward to Car 9

• RendernowRendernow Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Well.....its been interesting ----I was up at a little before 3:00 AM this morning eastern time and saw the upgrade and price seemed wrong -----returned around 8:00 AM and saw folks paying the wrong amounts and the chaos surrounding that.....in my account price was still off ---returned back at 1Pm price still off but went ahead and signed up for PC membership. came back now and all is good----- price finally was correct and even used the august coupon for platinum and so hey --Im good. Smiles.

Downloading now ----see how that goes . So I hope everyone now is getting the right price to upgrade and or buy.

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It was my understanding that it would pick it up where ever it is, but atm it is a runtime dir, are you saying I have to have to different runtimes, or if I tell Carrara that they are all content folders will it pick up the poser content as well?
    You are in a runtime directory, which will give you the CR2 because that is what is there. If you are in the folder that doesn't say runtime, that is where the DUF file is. Carrara reads both types of files, but the CR2 is not a true CR2 so Carrara can't read it but it will try to.

So I need twice as many folders, one for Poser content - one for Genesis - what a PITA - also seems you need to have essentials installed in any folder that has genesis stuff otherwise it complains about not being about to find stuff.

So far I am not loving this upgrade :vampire:

• MoviehawkMoviehawk Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

OK .. got it for the right price! But, am I missing something .... My downloads only show a 64bit version. Is that true, or am I just not seeing it. I could really use a 32bit version.
    Tks Allen

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Will Dawn work in Carrara 8.5?? My guess is the DAZ version of her might work.

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,040
    edited December 1969

I havent read anywhere what's the difference between standard and pro versions other than getting the V5/M5 starter bundle with one and the v5/M5 Pro bundle with the other. I really wish there was an easy to find feature comparison between the 2 different versions of Carrara 8.5.

David

Here's a compare list for C8.0 - I would expect that nearly all the differences apply to C8.5 as well.

http://www.daz3d.com/products/carrara/carrara-tech-specs/

Features for Pro version are highlighted on that page. Maybe not be perfectly accurate for C8.5 - but it should give you an idea.

No, it's not helpful. I would prefer a chart for 8.5. One that compares the standard version versus the pro version, not compare the 32-bit versus the 64-bit.

DavidA little further down the page lists the features in Carrara 8. Standard does not include the features that say Pro only. All the features that are new for Carrara 8.5 are, I believe, in both.

As I said, not helpful at all.

David

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

Okay, owners of V5 Pro and M5 Pro won't get a discount on the update.

Maybe it would be possible to swap those two already bought packages to 1 (one) Aiko 5 or 1 (one) Victoria 6? So that the continuing supporters of DAZ don't feel like ....

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    Will Dawn work in Carrara 8.5?? My guess is the DAZ version of her might work.

Yes, Dawn does work in Carrara 8.5. Your guess is correct, it MUST be the DAZ version.

edited August 2013

As I said, not helpful at all.

DavidWell, it certainly CAN be, if you have a look through them - as that really does, fairly plainly, spell out the differences. For example, I didn't get very far through the 'blue' listings before I realized that Standard just won't cut it for what I need.

• 64 bit is only available in Pro
    As are the rest if this list that I gleaned from that link:
    • Ocean Primitive
    • Render time displacement on terrains
    • Symmetrical Modeling
    • Displacement Modeling
    • Displacement & Microdisplacement Mapping
    • Bridge Tool
    • Edge Extrusion
    • Editing of non-Zero'd Figures
    • Irradiance Maps
    • Vector Motion Blur
    • Network Rendering
    • Normal Maps
    • Multi Pass Rendering
    •Negative Lights
    •Photometric (IES) Lightingpro only
    •Graph Editor
    •Rigid Body Dynamics (using the Bullet physics library)
    •Soft Body Dynamics (using the Bullet physics library)
    •3D Paint
    •UV unfolding
    •Real Display of Bumps and Specularity

•RPF Export
    •After Effects Camera Export
    •Match Mover Tracking
    •FBX Export

...and I'm not trying to be a smarty-pants... just trying to help you see the difference.

The 64 bit one really took me from the start. I like having access to my many GB of RAM.
    But then I start to see things that I really want. The Ocean Primitive self animates with the check of a box! I often really need to model symmetrically and I am intrigued with the idea of displacement modeling. 3D Paint, UV unfolding, dynamic physics and all of the animation enhancements... I need that stuff!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

This may have been asked before, and if so, I apologize. If I don't buy 8.5 (but still have C8Pro) will I still be able to get upgrade pricing for C9Pro?

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    Salem2007 said:

Thanks for the response. Is there a way to see a list of known issues? I looked through zendesk--I must be overlooking something. I'm just curious to know what I should avoid.It was supposed to be in the Readme. Getting that fixed for you.

The ReadMe? You mean I'm actually supposed to look at those! :-) Just kidding. I'll check the ReadMe after I get things installed....

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

So other files are still missing that were in C8 Pro from the C8.5 downloads

These are:

Howie's Snow Scene
    C8 After Effect plug in file
    DigitalPainters 3DPaint Brushes Sampler
    Digital Painters Shaders
    The V4 Shaders
    The M4 Shaders.
    V4
    M4
    V4 Morphs
    Armasedea Hair
    Jai Hair
    M4 & V4 basic clothing

• senyacsenyac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yesterday I was seeing $280, today its $285 With PC it was $166 now its $171 lol
    This release is such a joke , but its what I have expected from DAZ ,
    looks like 8.0pro was my last Carrara upgrade , I have the V5 pro stuff and this small update is not worth the asking price .
    paying mainly for more DAZ content support in Carrara so they can sell more DAZ content to Carrara users is what this update is all about .
    When DAZ took over from Eovia with Hexagon and Carrara I hoped Daz would improve both programs as the users wanted , But they Have just about killed any hope for Hexagon and are now turning Carrara into just another content selling program like DAZ studio .

Well its time for me to take Modo more seriously .

• WallytheartistWallytheartist Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

all the programs now are charging high.... because they borderline of what everyone wanted... my hopes is that it comes close to what "The Plant Factory can intertwine with, and how good Vue can render. Otherwise its becoming obseolete again... I think the autofit has some sort of competition with Marvelous Designer i think... since there is triax and quad drama over there at MD lol

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,040
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    I havent read anywhere what's the difference between standard and pro versions other than getting the V5/M5 starter bundle with one and the v5/M5 Pro bundle with the other. I really wish there was an easy to find feature comparison between the 2 different versions of Carrara 8.5.

David

It's buried, and I don't think it's yet been updated for 8.5...

http://www.daz3d.com/products/carrara/carrara-tech-specs/

Well then I wont bother until they update it. I cant make an informed decision until they do.

David

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Do you plan to make a trial for this version available in the near future?

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    So other files are still missing that were in C8 Pro from the C8.5 downloads

These are:

Howie's Snow Scene
    C8 After Effect plug in file
    DigitalPainters 3DPaint Brushes Sampler
    Digital Painters Shaders
    The V4 Shaders
    The M4 Shaders.
    V4
    M4
    V4 Morphs
    Armasedea Hair
    Jai Hair
    M4 & V4 basic clothing

are you using DIM? since those were already in the library they won't show up again.