Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 10

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,103
    edited October 2018

Dave - cool moon terrains, the default grey is often the best choice for such "moonscapes". I "discovered" the erosion brush option only a short while ago and didn't more than brush-around with it a bit.

I tackled another option: creating a terrain in the DTE. Here I used two components with different noise, applied different filters and combined them. The DTE is a cool tool to play around with and spend hours until you have the terrain you were looking for.

Sand World

I couldn't help to render an anaglyph as well.

Sand World Anaglyph

SandWorld.jpg
    1200 x 810 - 160K
    SandWorldAna.jpg
    1200 x 810 - 174K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

Thanks very much everyone.

@Dave. I like the first one best. I think it's the stars.

I've tried a few times using Bryce's star field but never been too impressed

with the results. They always seem a bit too blurry.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    StuartB said:
    @Dave. I like the first one best. I think it's the stars.

I've tried a few times using Bryce's star field but never been too impressed

with the results. They always seem a bit too blurry.

Thanks Stuart.

Bryce puts a haze around them (matching the colour of whatever haze/fog you've got set) so my tips for getting sharper stars are:

1: Switch Haze/Fog off

2: Use custom star field (the regular "random" Bryce ones are waaay too big). Just click the custom button and use the ball to move the stars around until you get a view you like.

3: Use the widest camera view that you can get away with to make the stars as far away as possible.

smiley

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,981

Horo - nice unusual terrains, the anaglyph is awesome.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited October 2018

Re: The stars' issue etc....they can look too 'dotty-like' at tiimes, but too 'sharp' also.

I sometimes turn on the fog/haze (at very low values), and then group all in the scene (that is, all objects including the camera), tilt the whole scene northwards or southwards for the foggy/hazy effect, adjust to suit. It kinda gives an increment-in-scale of fuzziness relevant to the scene. - horizon to zenith. 

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited October 2018

Thanks for comments on pig day :)

Dave Savage,

Did you model the pig yourself?

It was done several years ago when i attended courses on high-poly modelling, they were teaching us workflow/pipeline in which, for example, route could go: Maya -> Zbrush -> UVLayout -> Topogun -> Maya, for example. I pretty much need to start learning all that stuff again so i can at least recreate things i done there again and more. Maybe i should start with Hexagon for time being :)

-

Ok, i've been away for some time, it's good to return here and see all those new creations in this thread! Niiice to see.

Some additional comments:

Slepalex - at first, i was captured by first render with lake, but now i think that "forest after rain" enchants me stronger, you can almost feel you're breathing refreshing air after rain while walking deeper into this green mysterious world.

Dave Savage - from your terrains with water, the 2nd (first lighthouse) is soooo classic! I imagine recieving it as postcard or painting by friend. Also enjoyed your foaming water scene. Lunar landcscape is inspiring as well.

Electro-Elvis - while i'm far from understanding technical stuff you mention yet, it was nice to see those "city scene" experiments. Personally left image was closer to me, though cant compare them due to differences. Thanks for showing.

Mermaid - nice mood there!

Horo - interesting terrain/DTE experiments and nice snowy mountain with depth.

Jamahoney - ice age coming?

StuartB - wow, many tasty renders! Love how "storytelling" they are. My most favs are "Release the Drones", "Rescued" series, "A Day Out".

Post edited by akmerlow on
    edited October 2018

Horo, the above 3D effect shows reallly the distance, but the business-of-terrrain, I think, confuses: kinda looks like the normal view versus the 3D effect view is the same (understanding that you are a master of 3D).

Akmerlow...you're welcome. Cimate change (so soundly-boring at this stage) predicts we are going in the oposite direction - warm over cold.

Jay

edited October 2018

Dave: Thanks I'll have another go at the stars.

Jay:  Interesting , thanks.

akmerlow: Thanks very much for the kind comments.

Post edited by StuartB on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited October 2018

Still playing with the terrain editor, but this render shows the star glow effect generated by the Haze colour.

LunarSurface6.jpg
    975 x 975 - 384K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,092

Dave Savage : Great moon terrains and skies, the one with the glowing stars is awesome.

Horo : Excellent terrain and anaglyph.

mermaid - thank you.

akmerlow - thank you.

Jamahoney - thank you Jay. Yes, I agree. The 3D effect is there but in the end it is not better than the depth feeling of the regular render.

Dave - the terrain looks very elaborate.

adbc - thank you.

Cheers, Horo.

Lovely work, Dave...the fog/haze works beuatifully - horizon to zenith.

Jay

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754
    Horo said:

Hansmar - thank you. I know that the DTE (deep texture editor) can be used to create terrains to use in the TE (terrain editor), though it is a bit tricky. Are you really using the deep texture editor (DTE) to create terrains?

Sorry, nope, my mistake. One letter too many :) I meant TE.

Jamahoney: interesting ‘Iceland’ render. Funny sea colour.

Mermaid: nice misty sky.

Horo: Very good snow mountain. Also great sky colours. And I love that DTE-TE terrain!

Dave Savage: please keep being distracted, leads to wonderful scenes! And the terrain trials are also very good. Sky with hazed around stars is beautiful.

Stuart B: what a great selection. Recued 2 and fish and lobster are my favourites (at this moment; will be different tomorrow).

Thanks very much Hansmar.

edited October 2018

Cheers, Hansmar, and yes I suppose it could be toned down a tad. Well, you know what they say...'the water is always greener on the other side of the world'...(or words to that effect) devil

Jay

Hansmar - thank you. Yeah I thought so, but then, the DTE is quite an interesting tool for the TE and terrains can be generated in all resolutions up to 4096.

Akmerlow - thanks

Dave - I agree with Hansmar, your distractions produce awesome work

Hansmar - thanks

edited October 2018

I had another go with a DTE terrain. Difficult to create such a vortex in the TE. The ship is lost in the Maelstroem.

Maelstroem

Maelstroem.jpg
    1200 x 798 - 224K
    Post edited by Horo on

That looks great Horo - reminds me of a whirlpool I tried to do in one of the previous challenges. I ended up using photoshop.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited October 2018
    Horo said:

I had another go with a DTE terrain. Difficult to create such a vortex in the TE. The ship is lost in the Maelstroem.

Maelstroem

Excellent, Horo! Such a height map can certainly be created using KPT. I also remember David Brinnen’s lesson on creating a vortex cloud.

Шторм.jpg
    800 x 600 - 110K
    Post edited by Slepalex on

mermaid - thank you.

Slepalex - thank you. Well, maybe; I only have KPT 3, no newer one, and it is limited to 8 bit. The DTE, like the TE, can create 16 bit resolution. Yes, lovely clouds. We did some galaxies for deep space skyies with the DTE using the same vortex noise as a base.

edited October 2018

Fantastic vortex, Horo! I should try the DTE for terrrains at some time.

However, I've been playing with World Machine and came up with several renders. Nothing very special. Just to show a bit of variety that I made. I am sure most of this can also be done with Bryce. However, I think it is probably easier with World Machine. Changing some items in the tool can change the terrain substantially. I had fun, modifying inputs and settings, checking the results and modifying again. I generally do not have much 'play and fun' experience with the TE in Bryce, though I've seen it is versatile. Only in the moors, I added a little erosion in the TE in Bryce. For the others, it is just resizing, texturing, picking (and partly modifying) some sky and rendering.

winterriver.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    moors.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 890K
    snow ridges.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    terraces.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 982K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

These examples are very nice Hansmar, especially the last one -terraces

Hansmar - thank you. Nice examples from you.

StuartB said:

3 More.

Rescued 2.

Early Morning Training.

Rescued.

StuartB, a wonderful series of works. Very atmospheric!

Cool set of renders Stuart... I especially like the effect you've got on the helicopter rotors.

I actually managed to stick to my intention this time Ifor now at least) and have been playing with the brush effects and blending of terrain fractals in the Terrain Editor.

For years I've thought that the "Erosion" option in the brush effects didn't do anything, but it's actually quite cool. I'm still trying different things with it but flying blind so if anyone has any info (I'm probably talking to you Horo, but anyone else also), I'd appreciate links/videos etc.

I've not gone to town on the materials here, so thought a Lunar type surface and setting would best suit.

Dave Savage, great TE experiments! 

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,092

Horo : great vortex.

Hansmar : very nice examples.

Slepalex : superb images.

Slepalex - I've seen them before and they are all very beautiful; my favourite is the lonely oak at sunset.

This discussion has been closed.