Genesis Fan Club

Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
edited August 2013 in The Commons

Welcome to the Genesis Fan Club - a place to share tips and tricks for working with the (original) Genesis figure; discussion about products for Genesis; information on using non-Genesis products with your Genesis characters; and various formulas, experiments, and challenges to help you get the most out of the Genesis platform. I'll also be posting links to some useful freebies and helpful tutorials here--and I hope you will share some that you have enjoyed also.

While I'd like this to be a place for open conversation on all aspects of the Genesis figure, I do ask that you keep your comments focused on Genesis (1). If you wish to discuss other figures (or even if you wish to compare Genesis to other figures) I ask that you do so elsewhere, and NOT in this thread.

All Genesis users, from beginners to experts (including PAs) are welcome here, and to start things off I'll be sharing one tutorial for beginners and another aimed at more advanced users.

Links to other related threads:
Custom Character Workshop and Render Thread (for custom-dialed characters based on Genesis as well as other figures)
Set The Stage With the Spectacular World of Genesis - Render Thread! (for your final Genesis renders)
Genesis Custom-Dialed Character Contest (the contest is closed, but check out the entries...this is the thread that spawned this one)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

If you're just starting out with Genesis...or if you want to learn more about what the basic, free Genesis figure can do...I think you'll find this interesting: Fun with Genesis Base, by Greywulf.

Among other things, this tutorial covers how to morph the Genesis figure (using the free morphs included in Genesis Starter Essentials), how to ignore limits and dial morphs beyond 100%, and how to find morphs located in various regional groups.

Greywulf has some other helpful DAZ Studio tutorials on his site, aimed at beginners and early-intermediate users.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

One of the things that I absolutely love about Genesis 1 is the ability to make families.

I start with the clay "unisex" Genesis, and then dial in those elements (eye shape, nose height, jaw line, or whatever) that I want to be common to the family, save as a shaping preset, and then dial in M5, M4, V4, Reby Sky, or whoever. Load in a new Genesis, apply the Preset, and do it over again with different proportions and with some minor adjustments to the face settings. Lather, Rinse, Repeat for as many characters as you need.

When paired with skins from the same vendor, it can make a coherent family. (Most vendors have a signature "look" that provides the necessarily unity between figures.)

And if you do it right, you can really push what sort of family you're making.... (All skins are by Raw Art)

Family_Time.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    edited August 2013

...And something for the more experienced users who want to experiment with creating clothing or other content for Genesis:

Simplified guide to Genesis content creation, by Hellboy

Hellboy's done some of my favorite renders of the Genesis figure, and he's also been involved in the creation of some Genesis content, including the elite Valerie skin textures for V5, I believe. In this post he discusses the process of modeling clothing for Genesis, including steps like adjusting weight maps and adding bones. If this is something that you (like me) have wanted to experiment with, this brief tutorial will help get you started.

Edited to add...while I'm on the subject of Hellboy I really should mention this cool freebie hair for Genesis he made: http://www.sharecg.com/v/67275/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/SOTOs-Flat-Top-for-Genesis

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

Hellboy created Valerie fo V5??
    I had no idea.
    That texture was one of those early purchases that sold me completely on Genesis 1 and soon made it my absolute model of choice.
    Wouldn't change a thing.

I don't really have any tips or tricks off the top of my head.
    Genesis 1 is SO easy and fun to work with and with the entire V4 and Genesis library at your disposal with very little effort?
    Ridiculously wonderful.
    Nothing even comes close in my very humble and solitary opinion.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

I absolutely love Genesis, and love creating for it. So far, everything I am working on is for Genesis, but I won't specify since that is not the purpose of this thread. Genesis is one of those things that will stick around, I truly believe that, just like V4. That's not to say that I have no intentions of expanding my interests to others, but I truly love Genesis. This coming from someone who absolutely refused to even try it when it first came out.

If I get some time, I would be happy to contribute a tutorial or two about a topic of interest. Lighting (though not Genesis specific), clothing creation, adjusting materials for a good render, whatever. Just give me some ideas and a little time.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

Hellboy also did the Philip texture that comes with M5.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I love Genesis too because it is so easy to make clothing for. One basic shape to model around and clothing fits most of the morphs you want to change Genesis into. So easy to rig too.:-)

I've made loads of clothes for Genesis and shall continue to do so.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Huge fan of the Genesis. Very versatile for creating clothing and morphs.

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

OK, count me in on this fan club. I've been feeling left out lately. :( I only came to this at the beginning of the year so everything I have is Genesis (Classic). I see no compelling reason yet to abandon that.

Slosh and Wilmap, I'm so glad to see content creators who will continue to support Genesis.

I'd like to add a couple of Genesis-related recommendations:

1. I've been learning to make clothes for Genesis in Hexagon, thanks to Fugazi's video tutorials in store here at DAZ. They are an excellent resource. (I'll also check out Hellboy's thread as there is still much to learn.)

2. I never see much about S5. Well, I'm not into idealistic pin-up girls, and I'm probably unusual in that I bought Stephanie instead of V5. MaleM3dia's fantastic head-body morph set for her has made her so much more versatile. Highly recommended for getting more from her.

Looking forward to seeing the tutorials and contributions to this thread.

• whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
    edited December 1969

I'm going to post so I'll get notified when this thread changes lol.

I love the Genesis figure. I was broken into twice and everything stolen so kind of gave up on 3d stuff in general for a long time. And then when I did come back YT5 was on sale (I've been back since then) and I bought the bundle along with all of the M5 and V5 stuff.

My goals would be to have characters from age 0 to 100+ with everything in between. I think the figure is very versatile.

I'd love to make some of my own clothing and stuff even if it is simple to get the process down. I just can't seem to get into it so far. I get overwhelmed easily.

I really like the Genesis character for the realistic looks and feel to it. I've tried to create families also.

I'm interested in taking my Genesis to the next step.

1) Making a character (both unique and dialed)
    2) Creating hair and clothing
    3) Making new textures for current stuff I have
    4) Trying to make my own makeup, tattoos, tanlines, etc.

Anyway with such a figure, there's still a ton of stuff I can learn to do with it. Like I said I think it is very versatile so count me in if anything for lurking. :)

• vienastoksvienastoks Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Count me in, please! :)

Unfortunately I'm not content creator myself - just an user. Still, I love Genesis for versatility and inspiration that the original model and unlimited morphs provide.

I don't think I have any knowledge that others miss, but if you are interested there are some tips that brought me surprisingly exciting results:

1) do convert several sets of expressions for V4 or M4 into dialable morphs for Genesis (using Generation X plugin). By combining and mixing these morphs you can achieve almost unlimited expressiveness of Genesis face. Simple magic, but works and will surprise you pleasantly (just avoid dialing-in maximum values).

2) when converting clothing from Gen 3 or Gen 4 sometimes deliberately not use any projection template (writing from memory, sorry if they're named differently). When I tried pantyhose with boots or pants template, I got all kinds of undesirable results, when I used "none", I've got a perfectly working Genesis product. "None" also works wonderfully with some dresses, that get mangled by the default "dress knee high" template or even custom add-ons from SRMS.

Have fun!

• ServantServant Posts: 754
    edited August 2013

I started with DAZ with the Gen 3 figs. I felt they were adequate for their time (and are still quite useful). Gen 4 just blew those away, but the costs were just too much once you get a certain point. When Genesis arrived, I was hooked. Here's a base figure that literally provides you with thousands of options with the built in morphs alone in the essentials and freebie morphs (most notably by DieTrying). Add some of the commercial morphs like the Evo and Creature Creator bundles, and your options skyrocket into the unlimited territory. Male or Female. Fantasy or scifi. Young or old. Beautiful or monstrous. Literally limited only by your patience and imagination.

I have nearly all of the major morphs and characters (Gen 5, Iconic, Creatures, etc.) and I will likely never be able to exhaust what I can create from them in my lifetime.

I may not have much to contribute when it comes to Genesis tips, but I'm definitely on the fan club. ^_^

Post edited by Servant on
  • JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

Count me in. I looked into DAZ before Genesis and the whole thing was cost prohibitive to me do to having to buy separate everything. I came back with the release of Genesis 1 as that was more in line with budget and I quickly fell in love with all the capabilities.

I am looking forward to what I can learn here. Thanks for starting this one.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I love Genesis. There are so many possibilities that haven't been investigated yet. I too am posting so I will get notifications.

edited December 1969

Just noticed that RAMWolff has released his "Ultimate Morph Pack for Genesis 01." (and it's free!)

Includes his female morphs that were previously released, and the Genesis version of the Bruno character he made for V4, and a bunch of other good stuff...I can't wait to try it out. Thanks, Richard! :-)

You can read all about it here, and go download it here.

edited December 1969

And since they've been mentioned already, I wanted to give links to two more of my favorite free resources for Genesis: wilmap's clothing collection, (also see the forum thread here) and SickleYield's Genesis conversion of the 182 DieTrying Morphs for V4.

Wilmap's clothes are great...don't assume that "free" means "inferior." I don't use them as much as I probably should, but I have gotten good results from them and will post a render here later when I get a chance. She's done many different styles including a lot of historical clothing, for which I'm very grateful.

The Genesis DieTrying morphs I use all the time. I find them invaluable for custom character creation (especially the brow morphs, which are hard to come by in commercial morph sets). If you haven't bought any morph sets for Genesis, these will be a great addition to the Genesis base that will enable you to create a wide variety of characters. And if you do own a bunch of other morph sets, I recommend adding these to supplement them.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited December 1969

The Die Trying morphs are a Godsend. They really helped get my characters fleshed out. I work exclusively with Genesis figures for all of my characters. Even though I have V4 and M4, as well as A3 a,d H3, I never use them. The only time I ever load a V4 figure is to do a Gen X conversion, and, so far, the only Gen X conversions I've done were for some Genital morph conversions, which is really what I had bought it for. I've done some content creation as well, though it's all been "proprietary" content for my own exclusive use designed for the characters in question.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited August 2013

One of the things that I absolutely love about Genesis 1 is the ability to make families.

I start with the clay "unisex" Genesis, and then dial in those elements (eye shape, nose height, jaw line, or whatever) that I want to be common to the family, save as a shaping preset, and then dial in M5, M4, V4, Reby Sky, or whoever. Load in a new Genesis, apply the Preset, and do it over again with different proportions and with some minor adjustments to the face settings. Lather, Rinse, Repeat for as many characters as you need.

When paired with skins from the same vendor, it can make a coherent family. (Most vendors have a signature "look" that provides the necessarily unity between figures.)

And if you do it right, you can really push what sort of family you're making.... (All skins are by Raw Art)

Wow. Awesome render . I wondered how raws skins would look on genesis. That looks great!

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

I am still really new to DAZ but I love using Genesis. Wilmap's clothes are wonderful.

edited August 2013

Cool family, and useful method...I've usually done it in reverse (apply FBMs first and then specific tweaks) which has made for some duplication of effort...each time I add someone to the family I have to manually apply the "genetic" morphs again. Next time I'll try it your way!

Here's a family portrait I've done...the Tudor family. It's Henry VIII and two of his children (the future Edward VI and the future Elizabeth I). Still kind of a WIP. One thing I did to make sure they look related is to take the character head morphs I used on the dad (namely Braxton and Thomas) and use them at a lower strength on the children.

Oh...Edward is wearing an outfit by wilmap. :)

tudor5a.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 795K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Cautionary note on using Shaping Preset. If you switched off or changed a morphs limits the setting for the morph will be recorded in the preset but the preset will not look right when the preset is applied to another fresh Genesis. Unlike Pose Presets that asks if you want to override joint limits, Shaping Presets don't have that options.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    Cautionary note on using Shaping Preset. If you switched off or changed a morphs limits the setting for the morph will be recorded in the preset but the preset will not look right when the preset is applied to another fresh Genesis. Unlike Pose Presets that asks if you want to override joint limits, Shaping Presets don't have that options.

Oh that's what's going on ... except I was trying to use it on a legacy M4 figure [trying to find a way to save legacy morphs] and the funniest thing happened ... it turned out to look like Genesis Female!!!!

Not one for fast changes either, it took me awhile to install D/S4.0 and no sooner had I done that that it was upgraded to 4.5 of course. Eventually installed one of those ... and you know what happened next, 4.6 [not installed]

I have already made some tutorials, a few of which are in my DA Gallery ... couple for making clothes for Genesis and one on morphing.

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Love this thread already. :)

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

I got into using Genesis for 2 reasons. 1 I bought the facegen target morph creator to create original characters and she moves a bit easier the V4 within studio. http://bobvan.deviantart.com/art/135-391848181

9467924023_7d29cc1ac1_c.jpg
    800 x 426 - 153K
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

I LOVE Genesis! More so than any other figure DAZ ever released. I came into DAZ very shortly before Stephanie 4 Elite was released for Victoria 4. But I never cared for Gen 4 much as much as I liked Gen 3. Then Genesis came a long, and even though it wasn't that much interesting at first, as much as I tried to make it work for me. But once the Gen 4 & 3 Iconic Shapes came along, I abandoned all previous figures and most of their content all together without looking back. What was a tiresome struggle for me to find decent male content was significantly balanced when PA's made unisex clothing or clothing that could have been used as unisex effortlessly. This is why Genesis 2 greatly upset me at first and why to this day I use Gn1 far more than I do G2F.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969
    9467924023_7d29cc1ac1_c.jpg
    800 x 426 - 237K
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited December 1969

Definitely count me in the Genesis fan club ;)

GenesisArcherSolo1.jpg
    1329 x 1284 - 220K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

...ummm,..you have my attention.

• scal.64.psscal.64.ps Posts: 140
    edited December 1969

you can count me in the Genesis Fan Club, she's my favourite character here @Daz and definitively not intend to replace her by the younger sister G2F of the cousin Dawn

something i'd like to learn is how to create clones, it's pretty hard to find how to

edited December 1969

Welcome to the party, everyone! :)
    @scal.64.ps: Kattey has some instructions on making a G2F clone here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/357032/

(Here's a link to the beginning of that thread, which also contains some information on getting Genesis morphs converted to G2F, and other good stuff)

Thanks, Kattey, for figuring that stuff out, and for posting the instructions!