October 2018 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge: Atmosphere

LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

New User's Contest - October 2018

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around

for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile

and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we

host our newest challenge.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Atmosphere"

Lets step it up a notch from last months theme "Focus /Depth of Field" and try to create atmosphere, make visible that there is something in the air, be it dust, smoke, or a certain mood.

Using depth of field will help but there are several other possibilities like godrays, fog or bloom in the iray render mashine

I will be checking in on the WIP thread as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need, so feel free to ask questions.

The Golden rules of rendering can be found:
Bryce  http://www.daz3d.com/golden-rules-composition-helpers-for-bryce
DAZ Studio http://www.sharecg.com/v/67783/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Golden-Rules-Camera-Prop-v1.5 

Also, DS has a built in thirds golden rule (just show thirds guide) See images below:
Here are various links to other things that may help you in this months contest. Credit is given to Szark for this wonderful thread.
Tutorials by Szark http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/

More info that will help with this months contest can be found:

for DAZ Studio:
http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Creating-Dust-And-Atmosphere-in-Iray-522291773
http://www.omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberVolume
http://rawart3d.deviantart.com/art/Raw-FogCam-535959358

for Poser:
Poser - Material/Lighting 203: Volumetric Atmospheres
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlfYmsUCJL0

for Carrara:
Atmosphere Test Scenes for Carrara http://www.sharecg.com/v/33708/related/5/3D-Model/Atmosphere-Test-Scenes-for-Carrara

for Bryce:
Artist’s guide Sky Lab page 759
Bryce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahiyabdeUBI DoF in Bryce by David Brinnen
Bryce 7.1 Pro Easy - Spooky trees in Dan's fog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-lDcqH78Is
Bryce Basics - Free content cloud over Big Sur https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs9490Co-XE

Atmophereic Basics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyLOZWevi8g A Blender tutorial but the first 46 seconds really give you an idea of what atmosphere can be like.

What are some other elements for creating atmosphere:
https://prezi.com/dmvb-nlsj_wr/creating-mood-in-art/
http://www.zevendesign.com/mood-lines-giving-designs-attitude/

Examples of Atmosphere

Some good examples can also be found in this thread: Scenes and landscapes 

An article in DS Creative Magazine (Page 40-41)

Don't forget to look at previous themed contests where information and hints are available.

October 2015's contest

October 2016's contest

October 2017's contest

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread : Challenge Rules

Closing Date: October 31, 2018

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

Comments

• Here we are with my start for this month.

oct2018a.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 645

Wow Shinji, that is a great start. I love the sinister and abandon atmosphere in this scene. yes

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    daybird said:

Wow Shinji, that is a great start. I love the sinister and abandon atmosphere in this scene. yes

I agree with Daybird.  A really good start Shinji

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161
    edited October 2018

Here's version B. I lifted the person up some because his feet were sinking into the ground, and gave him a cigar and lighter to give him some attitude.

oct2018b.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • Here we are with my start for this month.

I like it a lot, but I think the composition of the scene would be improved by shifting the camera to put the focus of the image on one of the third lines.  That is unless the only thing in the picture that isn't the hallway isn't the focus of the scene.

• dstuffle said:

Here we are with my start for this month.

I like it a lot, but I think the composition of the scene would be improved by shifting the camera to put the focus of the image on one of the third lines.  That is unless the only thing in the picture that isn't the hallway isn't the focus of the scene.

Thanks for the feedback dstuffle, thou I haven't an idea of where I'm going to go in the end with this one so we'll see what it becomes in the end.

• Version C here adding in a  second character. What I wonder is if the new guy is there to meet with the first, or are they just passing by on patrol?

oct2018c.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M

Version C here adding in a  second character. What I wonder is if the new guy is there to meet with the first, or are they just passing by on patrol?

I am getting the impression that the guy on patrol is wondering if the guy leaning against the wall is up to something. 

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

• Version D here. with some changes to the guy on patrol. He's been lifted up some so that his boots aren't sinking into the ground so much, and has been given a HUD to show by why of color what he thinks of the guy leaning against the wall. (In this case, yellow for cautious about him.)

oct2018d.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M

Version D here. with some changes to the guy on patrol. He's been lifted up some so that his boots aren't sinking into the ground so much, and has been given a HUD to show by why of color what he thinks of the guy leaning against the wall. (In this case, yellow for cautious about him.)

Looking good Shinji.  Not sure if you have anything in your runtime but I feel like there needs to be some kind of clutter or debris.

• Version D here. with some changes to the guy on patrol. He's been lifted up some so that his boots aren't sinking into the ground so much, and has been given a HUD to show by why of color what he thinks of the guy leaning against the wall. (In this case, yellow for cautious about him.)

Looking good Shinji.  Not sure if you have anything in your runtime but I feel like there needs to be some kind of clutter or debris.

I'll have to check when I get home from my friend's place after work tonight.

• dstuffledstuffle Posts: 38
    edited October 2018

My first entry for this month's contest.

I look forward to feedback on how to improve it.

Stopping the monster.jpg
    1800 x 1350 - 2M
    Post edited by dstuffle on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

@dstuffle , thats an impressive green place. I like the idea you are taking on here that the dankger becomes really visible thorugh the parts that are exposed to the light.

Most improvements I will suggest are from a compositional site: In the moment this looks a bit as if he is standing in front of a huge aquarium but is not actually in where the danger is. The  reason is that you cut off his feet but have a lot of empty space to the upper part of the render.

So my suggestion is to either get closer to your "hero" and let the danger loom over him or draw the camer out or mostly change the angle a bit more downwards so we see his feet and loose the empty space.

In terms of atmospheric look you made a good start. I would suggest to reduce the green a little so that the dark places outside the light are really dark and not just a derker green.

I hope that helps

• Version E here with dimmed lights in the passage way, wooded barracades of sorts and some dangling wires that are sparking blocking the passage.

oct2018e.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Version E here with dimmed lights in the passage way, wooded barracades of sorts and some dangling wires that are sparking blocking the passage.

Hi Shinji, I think you went a bit overboard with the darkness, I liked the light setting in the previous versions better

Linwelly said:

@dstuffle , thats an impressive green place. I like the idea you are taking on here that the dankger becomes really visible thorugh the parts that are exposed to the light.

Most improvements I will suggest are from a compositional site: In the moment this looks a bit as if he is standing in front of a huge aquarium but is not actually in where the danger is. The  reason is that you cut off his feet but have a lot of empty space to the upper part of the render.

So my suggestion is to either get closer to your "hero" and let the danger loom over him or draw the camer out or mostly change the angle a bit more downwards so we see his feet and loose the empty space.

In terms of atmospheric look you made a good start. I would suggest to reduce the green a little so that the dark places outside the light are really dark and not just a derker green.

I hope that helps

Funny, the water- or aquarium feeling was also my first imagination, but I must say this scene has a high potential.

Linwelly said:

Version E here with dimmed lights in the passage way, wooded barracades of sorts and some dangling wires that are sparking blocking the passage.

Hi Shinji, I think you went a bit overboard with the darkness, I liked the light setting in the previous versions better

Same here. I also liked the open tunnel much better. Because I have this idea, that you coult try somthing other. Instead to put the other guy in front, move him in the tunnel so that he was hidden by the wall.

Than put a lightsorce behind him, so that his shadow is visible on the left wall. I think, that would create a even better atmosphere, because the viewer would ask himself, who is comming... a friend, a enemy, a victim...?

• sueyasueya Posts: 824
    edited October 2018

This is the first version of my image. I have used RDNA fog props and a fog plane to create a mist in front of the dancers.

AslanDecoratmos2.jpg
    834 x 667 - 110K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • dstuffledstuffle Posts: 38
    edited October 2018

I've tried to make the adjustments that were recommended and decided that the green color was not really adding much to the scene.

So here's version 2.

Stare down.jpg
    1800 x 1350 - 2M
    Post edited by dstuffle on
  • Version F here with the lights reset, the patroller moved so that he was just starting to enter the frame from stage left, and added a vehicle as a light source behind him.

oct2018f.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
    sueya said:

This is the first version of my image. I have used RDNA fog props and a fog plane to create a mist in front of the dancers.

Will the fog props you are using allow some density changes in the fog?  It has a uniform look.  Perhaps a hint of mist?

I like your dancers but the heavy mist is hiding them somewhat.  Especially the female dancer.

They look well posed and I like your lighting.

Nicely done sueya.

dstuffle said:

I've tried to make the adjustments that were recommended and decided that the green color was not really adding much to the scene.

So here's version 2.

I like this version.  I can see details that were obscured in the first version.  It has a twilight feel I really like.

Is that pile of bones 1 prop?

Version F here with the lights reset, the patroller moved so that he was just starting to enter the frame from stage left, and added a vehicle as a light source behind him.

I enjoy watching the evolution of your images Shinji.

I am finding the leg of the guy coming into frame distracting.  I wonder if it would be better if he was either farther in or just the gun was showing.

• Version F here with the lights reset, the patroller moved so that he was just starting to enter the frame from stage left, and added a vehicle as a light source behind him.

I am finding the leg of the guy coming into frame distracting.  I wonder if it would be better if he was either farther in or just the gun was showing.

Thanks for your feedback Kismet, I decided to try having the pratroller just inside the frame with the vehicle's position adjusted some so as to make sure that the headlights are catching the patroller without the vehicle coming into the frame as well. (Also making sure that the patroller who had driven it to were it's located had room to pass in front from the driver's side of the vehicle.)

Don't mind the ramble it's about 4 in the morning where I'm at and I should be getting some rest for work later in the day.

oct2018g.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
  • dstuffle said:

So here's version 2.

I like this version.  I can see details that were obscured in the first version.  It has a twilight feel I really like.

It's from the "Them Bones Legacy Bundle with Iray Updates" product.

https://www.daz3d.com/them-bones-legacy-bundle-with-iray-updates

Version F here with the lights reset, the patroller moved so that he was just starting to enter the frame from stage left, and added a vehicle as a light source behind him.

Thanks for your feedback Kismet, I decided to try having the pratroller just inside the frame with the vehicle's position adjusted some so as to make sure that the headlights are catching the patroller without the vehicle coming into the frame as well. (Also making sure that the patroller who had driven it to were it's located had room to pass in front from the driver's side of the vehicle.)

Don't mind the ramble it's about 4 in the morning where I'm at and I should be getting some rest for work later in the day.

I like the adjustment.

dstuffle said:
    dstuffle said:

So here's version 2.

It's from the "Them Bones Legacy Bundle with Iray Updates" product.

https://www.daz3d.com/them-bones-legacy-bundle-with-iray-updates

Neat prop.

• LordGeneralLordGeneral Posts: 106
    edited October 2018

Celestial being??  Honestly lost my train of thought for that

a1.jpg
    750 x 948 - 147K
    Post edited by LordGeneral on

Celestial being??  Honestly lost my train of thought for that

I have done that while working on an image.  The original idea somehow gets lost and I have no idea where I am going with an image.

You have an interesting concept going by not showing her face.  I am curious to see where she ends up.

• Celestial being??  Honestly lost my train of thought for that

The colors make me think of a game, but I'm drawing a blank on which one. Good luck with it.