3Delight Laboratory Thread: tips, questions, experiments

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...yes but will the it (ver. 13) work with the current RIB plugin we have? 

I think this is something Daz needs to seriously look into..

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

As far as I can tell, version 13 will be fully NSI and OSL, ditching the Renderman spec (RIB and RSL) completely. If DAZ is still on support, they will likely have access to the 3delight Cloud and version 13. But DAZ probably need to implement support for NSI. I guess I'll submit a feature request then.

..excellent.  I used to code I left it two decades ago because of severe burnout. Not into having to write my own interface/plugin.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

Rendered in 3delight

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

COOL!  

..nice.  The transformation looked excellent and love the fog effect.

I also recognise that bench with all the chemical apparatus on it.

Chemist final.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 486K
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

Thanks Guys it was jusy something fun I did to get me in the mood for Halloween devil

@KK yes that is dryJack's mad scientist table over at sharecg.com you have a good eye for props :)

...I have a lot of Dry Jack's freebies.  Very useful.

edited September 2018

...the aweShading Kit 1.0 just hit the store tonight.  Have to wait until next week when I get my benefits cheque.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Yay! Finally! I hope I get some time this weekend between family stuff to try it out.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 742

Can anyone report experiences with the aweShading kit? I didn't jump on it immediately because I'm not experienced enough with 3DL to judge it, and wanted to hear from the experts.

(I like the look of 3DL renders, and I'd love to ditch Iray forever because it drops back to CPU rendering so often that it hardly seems worth it--what did I spend all that money on a GPU for?--but in my experience 3DL renders have always been interminably slow. I'd love to learn that the new shaders and lights make it competitive with Iray.)

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited October 2018
    Inkubo said:

Can anyone report experiences with the aweShading kit? I didn't jump on it immediately because I'm not experienced enough with 3DL to judge it, and wanted to hear from the experts.

(I like the look of 3DL renders, and I'd love to ditch Iray forever because it drops back to CPU rendering so often that it hardly seems worth it--what did I spend all that money on a GPU for?--but in my experience 3DL renders have always been interminably slow. I'd love to learn that the new shaders and lights make it competitive with Iray.)

It's definitely going to be faster than Iray on CPU. =) Expect twice as fast at least. SSS will still be the slowest part, but not _that_ slow at all.

As compared to Iray on your GPU - obviously no idea (it all depends on what your GPU and CPU are).

You could always get the freebie first and see for yourself: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/277581/awe-surface-shader-a-new-physically-plausible-shader-for-daz-studio-and-3delight

It doesn't come with click-on presets for figures, though, so you'll need to try your own hand at getting the skin to your liking. 

Post edited by Mustakettu85 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Mustakettu: Why do you think it will be faster than Iray on CPU? Not a challenge, honestly curious.

I tried the free thing and at least when I played with it (granted, not an expert), Awe seemed pretty on par with Iray in CPU.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited October 2018

As long as it is not slower like AoA vs Omni Uber, I'm sure it will be very nice. It has been too long and I've been busy, my apologies for not being around. If it will work (it does, cool) in Studio internal 3DL render, I'm in, when the 3rd rolls around.

Hello Ketttu and Y'all, hope all is well.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • InkuboInkubo Posts: 742

Thanks, Mustakettu!

• I'm looking forward to the up to 2x faster speed using the AWE AreaPT Light shader. Still going over the documentation and hoping for some free time this week.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Inkubo said:

I posted a couple of testrenders in the "show us your 3Delight renders" on the art forums. This is huge, if you ask melaugh

..bugger haven't been getting any notifications for that thread lately (and i'm subscribed to it).

edited October 2018

I'm looking forward to the up to 2x faster speed using the AWE AreaPT Light shader.

To be honest, you should be able to have the same render times with mustakettu's Radium AreaPT. smiley

One note on the 2x faster thing - absolutely no point/spot/distant light in the scene. Having just one will kill the performance. So if you care about render times, don't use any of the old lights. Build your scene using geometry area lights and (optionally) an environment sphere. The simpler your emitter geometry, the faster the render. That old subway station I used a long time ago renders at 20 minutes with just area lights applied to the existing geo for lights. When I used a simple plane (instanced many times) as a replacement, render times goes down to 9 minutes.

I posted a couple of testrenders in the "show us your 3Delight renders" on the art forums. This is huge, if you ask melaugh

Not as huge as this.

3Delight Cloud

Render interactively and seamlessly — using thousands of cores. 3Delight Cloud is currently in private beta. It will be made available as a public beta in October 2018.

I'm already salivating at the prospect of running my shader(s) on AMD Zen 2, but thousands of cores? At 2 cents per minute, that's going to be like a dollar and quarter for a 1 hour render. Would have to crank pixel samples to 16x16 to render that long. Still would like a Threadripper 2950 though..

Nice to see they're still mentioning DAZ Studio.

Post edited by wowie on

...looking forward to that.

• Thanks for the info. wowie! Time saving is very important.

edited October 2018
    Oso3D said:

Mustakettu: Why do you think it will be faster than Iray on CPU? Not a challenge, honestly curious.

Because even my custom 3Delight shaders on my CPU render at least twice as fast as Iray stuff does on the same CPU of mine (see signature for specs).

I mean figures with prominent SSS, closeups, clearing up to an acceptable noise level. So that you'd have to put in 30+ minutes (3Delight edition) or 1+ hour (Iray).

As compared to my stuff, aweSurface has a gazillion optimisations. It just has to be faster. (and you can't really abuse SSS with it, while with my stuff, I do it all the time, and SSS is the slowest part in both renderers)

If you test with simpler surfaces, long shots and a faster CPU, so that your times are down to minutes for both renderers, you may not "notice" the difference.

...And here's the engineering point: we're talking NVIDIA Iray, a renderer built to harness GPU power. And we're talking 3Delight, a workhorse production renderer, used to render VFX on Linux workstations with multicore CPUs. 3Delight _is_ CPU-optimised to the fullest. It's where their money is. Iray... ummm this has never been a development priority.

// and of course we are talking about 3Delight raytracer, not the obsolete REYES module that DS still has as the "default" in the vanilla render tab. Forget that. Use scripted rendering. //

Post edited by Mustakettu85 on

As long as it is not slower like AoA vs Omni Uber, I'm sure it will be very nice.

It has a different approach to SSS, you'll need to bear this in mind. All those older shaders just add diffuse and SSS. aweSurface has this way of "balancing" them that takes a while to get used to. The presets supplied look good on humans, but for aliens you're on your own =)

edited October 2018
    Oso3D said:

Because even my custom 3Delight shaders on my CPU render at least twice as fast as Iray stuff does on the same CPU of mine (see signature for specs).

I mean figures with prominent SSS, closeups, clearing up to an acceptable noise level. So that you'd have to put in 30+ minutes (3Delight edition) or 1+ hour (Iray).

As compared to my stuff, aweSurface has a gazillion optimisations. It just has to be faster. (and you can't really abuse SSS with it, while with my stuff, I do it all the time, and SSS is the slowest part in both renderers)

If you test with simpler surfaces, long shots and a faster CPU, so that your times are down to minutes for both renderers, you may not "notice" the difference.

...And here's the engineering point: we're talking NVIDIA Iray, a renderer built to harness GPU power. And we're talking 3Delight, a workhorse production renderer, used to render VFX on Linux workstations with multicore CPUs. 3Delight _is_ CPU-optimised to the fullest. It's where their money is. Iray... ummm this has never been a development priority.

// and of course we are talking about 3Delight raytracer, not the obsolete REYES module that DS still has as the "default" in the vanilla render tab. Forget that. Use scripted rendering. //

..even the Daz version was much quicker than Iray in CPU mode as I saw on my test scene, using IBL Master SBP with SSS, and a couple low intensity distant lights to fake bounce lighting (14 min).  Haven't tried scripted rendering yet as I don't know much about scripting which I imagine would make it even more efficient.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:

Haven't tried scripted rendering yet as I don't know much about scripting which I imagine would make it even more efficient.

The render script is bundled with the freebie shader. The only input needed from a user stand point is selecting 'Scripted 3delight' from the Engine pull down menu, then select either the 'RaytracerDraft' or 'RaytracerFinal' in the Render Script pulldown.

All the complicated stuff is in the script, written by mustakettu. So you only need to select the script and change some of the settings to your liking. Most of the options are the same options seen in the standard Renderer Settings.

And this little preset is a shortcut to enabling "gamma correction" in the vanilla render tab - without going into the tab.

Scenes get saved with their render settings by default, so if you load some older scene where GC is off, fail to notice that and the setting persists, you will get wrong results. So it's just good practice to click it before rendering =)

duf
    duf
    Enable Linear Workflow.duf
    567B
    edited October 2018

With 8x8 pixel samples (RaytracerFinal) and motion blur - 31 minutes 14.54 seconds

RaytracerFinal without motion blur - 29 minutes 32.47 seconds. Without reflection - 19 minutes 6.65 seconds.

With 4x4 pixel samples (RaytracerDraft), no motion blur and no reflection - 9 minutes 16.79 seconds. With reflection - 15 minutes 17.30 seconds.

31 minutes 14.54 seconds.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 423K
    29 minutes 32.47 seconds.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 426K
    9 minutes 16.79 seconds.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 428K
    Post edited by wowie on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    wowie said:

With 8x8 pixel samples (RaytracerFinal) and motion blur - 31 minutes 14.54 seconds

RaytracerFinal without motion blur - 29 minutes 32.47 seconds. Without reflection - 19 minutes 6.65 seconds.

With 4x4 pixel samples (RaytracerDraft), no motion blur and no reflection - 9 minutes 16.79 seconds

Very nice!

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 833

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you.

Didn't expect those 3 examples & times.  Might be able to do more in 3DL if i7 cpu prone to overheating. 

thanks again

--Bruce

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

And this little preset is a shortcut to enabling "gamma correction" in the vanilla render tab - without going into the tab.

Scenes get saved with their render settings by default, so if you load some older scene where GC is off, fail to notice that and the setting persists, you will get wrong results. So it's just good practice to click it before rendering =)

Thank you for this @Mustakettu85 smiley

Which folder should I put this in (in Daz Studio)?