3Delight Laboratory Thread: tips, questions, experiments

Comments

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited September 2018
    RAMWolff said:

Hmm, OK, I'll check that out.  I was thinking that eye moisture was that little line of poly's that runs at the bottom of the eye lid geometry but if it's now a full coverage

It is, in G8.

UPD (clarification): covers the sclera not the cornea.

Post edited by Mustakettu85 on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Yup and that was the ticket for sure.  I had that solved and then forgot to come back and say that that idea worked!  

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575

...I find that IBL Master is incredibly faster than UE.  My test scene (the girls at the bus stop) renders in around 10 minutes. That is with three characters in the foreground all with SSS, a lot of transmaps transparency, and reflections. With UE it takes a couple hours.  True I don't get bounce light and true AO (which is what takes all the time to calculate) but I fake that with additional low intensity AoA Distant lights below the ground plane with shadows turned off.  I feel the results are pretty good.

bus stop bounce light.png
    1500 x 1125 - 3M
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    wowie said:

I've finished the shader and repackaged it for distribution. Those who want to test it out (the shader and customized mustakettu's script only), feel free to contact me via personal message.

Apologize if interrupting a conversation.  Just wanted to publicly post 'thank you' if AweShader still available via PM. 

I say 'if' because store isn't showing anything?  e.g. Lumina > click vendor > 'wowie' > 404 error

Search store by vender = 0

None of my business about store of course, but bookmark this topic for commercial release then?  Be my luck that I missed it. : (

Thanks for reading

--Bruce

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,029

The shader has not been released yet.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

I'm curious whether the AweShader will be allowed to be included in sold products...?

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Sorry.  My bad then.  From another topic, thought I'd read something along lines of, "Yeah, but with AweShader..."  so checked here. 

Can you tell I'm eagerly waiting?  ; )

Wowie did say, "Finished for those who want to test it out..." but maybe that was for beta testing?

Store an interesting question, but since still a relative newcomer, probably not a good idea to get into any of that!

best

--Bruce    

Maybe Wowie pulled of "his/her" products from the store to update them with the new shader system?  I sent a PM yesterday, nothing back so something's going to happen!  

surprise

• Oso3D said:

I'm curious whether the AweShader will be allowed to be included in sold products...?

It's a shader with its own installer, putting files in the Program Files dir of your DS install, - like UberSurface2, AoA EasyVolume or Advanced Distant/Ambient/etc. Not a shader mixer network. So you won't need to include the shader itself, just presets (material/shader presets) which will work if the user has the shader itself. 

If I can’t include the shader in my product and it is dependent on some third party site to use, it’s not something I can justify using in my products, is the thing.

Well none of us will know until Wowie resurfaces!  

• What would be great is if DAZ adopted it as the default 3DL shader, included it in the starter essentials, and PAs started including mats for it with their products.

- Greg

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

What would be great is if DAZ adopted it as the default 3DL shader, included it in the starter essentials, and PAs started including mats for it with their products.

- Greg

Wouldn't that mess up everything that has come before and uses the 3dl shader.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576
    edited September 2018
    scorpio said:

What would be great is if DAZ adopted it as the default 3DL shader, included it in the starter essentials, and PAs started including mats for it with their products.

- Greg

Other 3DL shaders could still be applied/rendered same as usual, so I don’t think it’ll mess anything up. What it would do, is encourage PAs to create content utilizing it.

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    scorpio said:

- Greg

Other 3DL shaders could still be applied/rendered same as usual, so I don’t think it’ll mess anything up. What it would do, is encourage PAs to create content utilizing it.

- Greg

Doubt they would, Ubersurface 2 was very rarely utilised, I can't see vendors going to the trouble of learning a new shader system for 3dl when most don't include 3dl settings anymore at all.

• scorpio said:
    scorpio said:

- Greg

- Greg

Doubt they would, Ubersurface 2 was very rarely utilised, I can't see vendors going to the trouble of learning a new shader system for 3dl when most don't include 3dl settings anymore at all.

Who knows… but I think maybe part of the reason PAs don’t include 3DL mats is that it’s not currently possible to get results comparable to Iray in 3DL now. This shader would change that.

- Greg

• Oso3D said:

If I can’t include the shader in my product and it is dependent on some third party site to use, it’s not something I can justify using in my products, is the thing.

Speaking specifically of your products, which have been primarily based on procedural textures IIRC, you wouldn't be able to do much in this vein outside Iray anyway - until DAZ does something about renderer-agnostic procedural texturing in DS, which is non-existent right now. 

• scorpio said:
    scorpio said:

- Greg

- Greg

AoA Subsurface, however, was used extensively. I may be wrong, but from what I gathered, artists were encouraged to by DAZ. It's a DAZ O, while UberSurface2 is not.

So Greg's initial suggestion makes sense.

Whether any of it is going to happen, though, it is impossible to predict. 

I also do figures, which could definitely use good 3dl shaders.

One reason I haven’t included 3dl shaders for some recent items is that I’ve used things like thin film and refraction in creative ways.

Trying to capture the same or even similar looks in 3dl was simply impossible.

A more robust shader in 3dl would be encouraging.

AoA Subsurface is viable mainly because it is freely included by Daz.

Again, if my product depends on a shader from a third party site, that’s going to diminish my sales, particularly since I don’t know if we’re even allowed to link to offsite stuff for content.

That and it makes my product reliant on a site I can’t guarantee will exist in a month.

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited September 2018

Hello everybody.

The commercial pack will be named AWE Shading Kit. It already passed DAZ QA and should be available in the store soon. I haven't heard back from DAZ when though.

The shader, as promised, will be free and posted in the Freebie section of the forum.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/277581/awe-surface-shader-a-new-physically-plausible-shader-for-daz-studio-and-3delight

For now, I'm just going to share it via Google drive. It comes with a customized version of mustakettu's script and some very base presets.

Enjoy. Feel free to post AWE Surface related questions or info in the above thread.

Post edited by wowie on
  • Ohhh !

Thanks a lot !! Could we have a price order range or ist forbidden by the TOS ?

Oso3D said:

Personally, I'm OK with it. Of course, if users already have it, you can simply just share presets you've made with the shader. Should be much smaller and easier.

scorpio said:

- Greg

That actually would be great, but that's not up to me. You could ask other PAs to use the shader. It's now publicly available and free to use for all, though it probably will take some time until they've understand how to use it.

The shader doesn't replace all other shaders already available. You can still use the old surface and light shaders if you want. AWE Surface is simply another tool in the arsenal for DAZ Studio users/vendors. As I noted though, you will need the new path traced area light shader such as mustakettu's Radium AreaPT light shader or my own AWE AreaPT light shader (included in the commercial pack) to get the most benefit in terms of performance and quality.

• I'll be looking forward to the commercial pack release!

I'd love to see an in-render 'draw lines between colors,' so that someone could do outlines around similarly colored shapes (for toon style stuff).

Is there a way in shader mixer to pull it off, or does it really require render or camera scripts?

I'm SO looking forward to your release!  

• Oso3D said:

I'd love to see an in-render 'draw lines between colors,' so that someone could do outlines around similarly colored shapes (for toon style stuff).

Doesn't LR9K do this via ColorID materials?

Q4 2018 is going to be exciting. Should be enough time for me to learn OSL and port my shader(s).

http://www.digitaleng.news/de/3delight-cloud-and-3delightnsi-debut-as-new-rendering-tools/

I wonder if the 12 core/thread restriction is only for the 3DSP 13 or will 12 be included as well.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575

...ohh if only we could get access to the free version through Daz for this.  So far it only looks like if you use Maya or Katana (through Steam).

kyoto kid said:

...ohh if only we could get access to the free version through Daz for this.  So far it only looks like if you use Maya or Katana (through Steam).

Actually, you can just download the 3delight Studio Pro standalone. The latest available standalone is still version 12 though. Here's hoping they'll offer the version 13 later on. As for the 3delight Cloud (using Amazon AWS), it looks like it will be accessible only through the Maya and Katana plugin for the moment.