Linwelly's Grove

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

I didn't share my latest works from my webcomic yet one again my main charater and Master Xiu. I'm having too much fun with giving that guy screen time. He is part of the main cast after all as well ;)

As well I'd like to point out a webinar for people who are interested in making comics/graficnovels with DAZ by Digital Art live. You can find more in this post here in Bee's thread

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3761546/#Comment_3761546

• mach25mach25 Posts: 256

very nice webcomic,I only made one short strip before ,with a Boss,symbolic stairs where he kicks down everyone who tries to climb the stairs,not good,but you have to start somewhere

mach25 said:

very nice webcomic,I only made one short strip before ,with a Boss,symbolic stairs where he kicks down everyone who tries to climb the stairs,not good,but you have to start somewhere

Thank you so much! Its a good thing to start on a small scale, sometimes I have the feeling I chose my story a bit too large as its the first time for me making a comic as well. But I try to keep going.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Looking good!  Lots of work, I can tell. It’s paid off. 

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

It's progressing really well, @Linwelly ! Your style fits the storytelling and enhances it.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,074

I really do enjoy your works; very distinct and I usually know your renders when you post them.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Yes you are definitely developing your own style.  I'm enjoying your story very much!

Thank you so much everybody for the kind words! I'm really glad because that is a great reward to hear

Getting this thread out of the celler again, here is my entry to the last month Lola Lanes render challenges "Array pointer"

Aside from that I can now tell you what I have been up to these past week, some may have been at the book cover webinar and know already though ;)

So I had the chance to create the visuals to Neil Mossparks cool character Olivia Thorne, private investigator in a scifi dystopian Toronto in his book series Dark Crypto. The images will be used for the covers of the books. She was great fun to create and having the photo session with her.

find more about all of that on my dA page https://www.deviantart.com/linwelly/journal/Olivia-Thorne-by-Neil-Mosspark-758444323

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Oh, that's intriguing.  You have that funky, sci-fi / magic black hole, Tron thingy going on.  I like the way it's warping.  The emissive arrow lends some nice contrasting lighting to an otherwise cool color scheme.  Nice job!

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,074

I agree with dracorn- very cool effect and choice in contrasting lighting!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Wow how exciting! Congratulations! Love the mix of fae with sci fi its beautifully done!

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

Not exactly sure what the Array Pointer is, but it looks good smiley

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I'm just catching up. I love your stone statue renders. Very nicely done.

Linwelly said:

I didn't share my latest works from my webcomic yet one again my main charater and Master Xiu. I'm having too much fun with giving that guy screen time. He is part of the main cast after all as well ;)

This is my favorite character in your webcomic! I love what you do with him. He looks awesome.

Linwelly said:

Your main character is hands down one of the coolest characters I've seen in a while. She's very riveting and her eyes are amazing. 

Linwelly said:

As well I'd like to point out a webinar for people who are interested in making comics/graficnovels with DAZ by Digital Art live. You can find more in this post here in Bee's thread

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3761546/#Comment_3761546

Oh, just heard about this! I plan to be there. I just signed up for that. Sounds like fun!

I went a bit out of the loop and now I'm lagging behind here, there are some new pages of my comic, some of which are not exactly DAZ gallery material ;) (though I've seen more revealing rendes there)

There is s strech that doesn't look like much with the single panels but now I arrives at Level one in my story and I'm damn proud of that place. Its been a ton of work and the renders are way too slow for me to be happy but anyway here is one I really love for the way it turned out.

Ideally I'd have far more people there but that just wont do with the render time.

I've been thinking about rendereing in layers but that would take a lot of time as well. And the insta crowds are just not looking the way I need them. I would do instances if I could and I did for plants and everythign possible but with diverse people that's not an optio either. So any suggestions for lots of people are welcome

It's a great render - love the lighting and the shadows.  Interesting how you decided to focus on the foreground plants instead of your character.  Makes for a very unique view.  

I'm not sure how to help your situation without lots more work... or the purchase of a product.

You could remove maps from your background characters and objects - just leave the base color maps.  Also, you could reduce the quality on those maps as well. 

On the surfaces tab, you could turn off Cutout Opacity for parts of people that are not showing - faces especially take lots of time to render.  

Thanks a lot for the feedback @dracorn ! I usually put some things together in groups and hide them as soon as they are not affecting the render arey anymore, as well I hide clothes and things like that which are not seen, so in some of my renders people are running around half naked (which always causes lots of laughter when one of my kids come looking over my shoulder). I didn't "remove" parts of bodies yet, but maybe that could work.

Making smaller textures would work for some characters but others will be close on one render and far in the next. switching all the textures would be rather bothersome. and I would probably forget, as I sometimes do whith subD.

Maybe I shoule export some figures and reimport in lowpoy as objects but then they don't move anymore...

• Thats a beautiful render!  I don't have an answer for the issues of too much stuff yet either although I will say that I use the billboards for background people quite a bit.  They are useful for filling in, and once I figured out how to use the script to rotate them the way I needed them, they worked much better.

Thanks a lot @IceDragonart

I've been oogeling the billbord people for some time and I can imagine the billbords fit lots of situations but with my rather specific setting I would need to fill the billbord with my own characters and clothes.

• Linwelly said:

Thanks a lot @IceDragonart

I've been oogeling the billbord people for some time and I can imagine the billbords fit lots of situations but with my rather specific setting I would need to fill the billbord with my own characters and clothes.

There is a billboard that you can do that with.  This one. 

@ IceDragonArt  Oh, I didn't know that, that might come in handy indeed, do you have an example where you used one selfmade?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I use my own quite a lot if there is a need. Making them isn't too difficult just takes a bit of time.

In this one it is the Buffalo herd in the background.

Click on image for full size.

In this one it is the herd of horses behind the wagon.

In this one all the cows are in three billboards.

I have others but I can never find things when I am looking for them :)

@Fishtales thanks a lot for those examples! So you basically make a render of what aou would like to have in the billbord but without any background and add that to the billbord plane? Like for the bisons you rendred one and put it on multiple times. Is that the way it works?

What I did was set a scene with the animals and posed them. I then turned dome and draw ground off so that they were on a blank canvas. Rendered it and saved as a .jpg. Took it into PS and, usingthe selection tool created a black and white mask, black background and white figures, and saved that as the trans map which goes in the cutout opacity. Load a plane into the blank scene, add the .jpg into the diffuse and the trans map into the cutout and save it as a Prop. When creating the billboard have the figure right at the bottom of the render frame so that when you make the billboard prop and use Ctrl/D to drop it to the floor the feet are on the ground and not hovering above it that way the shadow from the scene lights wont be below the feet but should come from the feet as normal. Sometimes the white shows around the figure so take it back into PS and shrink the selection by 1 pixel, save and try it again

Sounds harder than it is.

• Thank you Fishtales, I haven't actually done it, I just knew I had a product that I COULD do it on lol.   Too many products, not enough time to learn how to use them all!

Wow thanks Fishtales and IceDragonArt !  I had not thought of that idea, and didn't realize that I could create my own billboards.  That would really save time for backgrounds, especially forest scenes, etc.

Linwelly said:

Thanks a lot for the feedback @dracorn ! I usually put some things together in groups and hide them as soon as they are not affecting the render arey anymore, as well I hide clothes and things like that which are not seen, so in some of my renders people are running around half naked (which always causes lots of laughter when one of my kids come looking over my shoulder). I didn't "remove" parts of bodies yet, but maybe that could work.

Making smaller textures would work for some characters but others will be close on one render and far in the next. switching all the textures would be rather bothersome. and I would probably forget, as I sometimes do whith subD.

Maybe I shoule export some figures and reimport in lowpoy as objects but then they don't move anymore...

Just save your reduced map size people as a scene subset and label them as such.  That way you have your full rez map characters and low rez map characters.

I realized I should have asked this sooner :o  Thank you so much for those suggestions!

Those billbord things seem like a good thing to make aktually, thanks a lot for the detailed deskription @Fishtales I will start trying that and will post the results here!

@dracorn that is a pretty good idea as well to save time and render space. And they still have more flexible moves that the billbord people.

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    Linwelly said:

I went a bit out of the loop and now I'm lagging behind here, there are some new pages of my comic, some of which are not exactly DAZ gallery material ;) (though I've seen more revealing rendes there)

There is s strech that doesn't look like much with the single panels but now I arrives at Level one in my story and I'm damn proud of that place. Its been a ton of work and the renders are way too slow for me to be happy but anyway here is one I really love for the way it turned out.

Ideally I'd have far more people there but that just wont do with the render time.

I've been thinking about rendereing in layers but that would take a lot of time as well. And the insta crowds are just not looking the way I need them. I would do instances if I could and I did for plants and everythign possible but with diverse people that's not an optio either. So any suggestions for lots of people are welcome

Can't offer any suggestions sadly, but this is a nice render, unusual viewpoint and framing via the plants.

Hide the bright light at the top right. Any bright patches like that increases render time.

Check all the surfaces for translucency and remove it from surfaces that don't need it and lower it on the others.

Lower the glossiness on all surfaces that don't need it, don't turn it off, set it to .1 or it increases render time if set to zero. ( I don't know why, it just does)