Not So Fast! A Contest For Mischief Makers

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

One interior one exterior here too. Time to get creative!

Will my computer be able to handle everything?

Thank goodness for the Scene Optimizer and Photoshop compositing!

• Yes you're right!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I've been signed out multiple times in the past week & without store purchases so something is being changed on the servers I think.

edited August 2018

I don't know why the forum SW is doubleposting on my lately either...so this was a doublepost before I edited it to say this...

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2018
    Novica said:

Is anyone else having the sign in constantly problem again? That was fixed for me a LONG time ago, and I've had to completely re-sign in three times since this morning.  

The sign-in problem was never, ever fixed - I have to use the utmost restraint to prevent myself from posting sarcastic comments every time it's mentioned on the "Using The New Forums..." thread (latest reports around 4th July)...

...devil....

...I think it's just par for the course in this post-video-recorder-remote-control age, where the de facto standard is to overcomplicate and obfuscate things beyond all reason !

But then again, if I wasn't randomly signed out here every day or so I'd be worried... (positive thinking: it helps prevent me from forgetting my password !)

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 401

I think I'd prefer an indoor and an outdoor set to my two. Talk about a surfeit of tables! 

One of my ideas would require me to chop one of the items in two, but I'm not sure whether this would be allowed.

• I was thinking of splitting the item in two in Blender and importing the two halves separately.
    • An alternative (which might be more likely to be permitted?) would be using two copies of the item and DIY transparency maps.
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

One of my ideas would require me to chop one of the items in two, but I'm not sure whether this would be allowed.

• I was thinking of splitting the item in two in Blender and importing the two halves separately.
    • An alternative (which might be more likely to be permitted?) would be using two copies of the item and DIY transparency maps.

There's no restrictions on HOW you use the items :) 

edited August 2018

And once your entry has been posted to the entries thread I assume that's it. No changing it and uploading a tweaked (or different) image ?

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

I'd say if you want to do one or two minor changes to the same image, that's fine. Not an overhaul or major changes.  Otherwise it becomes a WIP. Everyone has through the 31st so it'd be nice if everyone would get what you need done before you post, there's no rush. 

I might change the skin shaders on the Pachys to be knit fabric and I might introduce an extremely bright 1000K light source off camera to make it look more like sunset than it does now (to make it look more dramatic and less pedestrian) but that would be as major a change as I make (and I probably won't). 

@nonesuch00   That's perfectly fine :) 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Got most of mine set up, all the items are in the scene.  I still need to add one more character, some filler stuff and then start on the lighting. 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I have not yet started on mine yet because been having ISP problems, going to get started on it today though.

I have not yet started on mine yet because been having ISP problems, going to get started on it today though.

I just started mine last night!  Thankfully we still have plenty of time!  I'm really excited to see what everyone comes up with!

Mine is done, but I'm just waiting in case I change my mind.
    edited August 2018

The Grape Xscape Chess Bar

Under the Eternal Companion Spell, IceDragonArt and Old Hagred engage in a lot of activities. See the description over in the Render Thread. :)   In my Art Studio thread, I'll discuss a couple of the technical aspects. This only shows part of the set, the entire thing was done because I wasn't sure of the angle (the bar is completely stocked!)  My studio crashed a couple times but I just kept reloading it and it rendered the entire scene in an hour ten minutes! I use the Mitchell filter, not Gaussian, and lower it from 1.50  to 1.35 for sharper details.

And thanks to @knittingmommy for describing Sonja's hair for me. I knew they had met so I got the lowdown on the hair. :)  My partner in crime. 

Grape Xscape Chess Bar 2.png
    858 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

I think I'd better get to work ! Within a day or so of the items being set I had loads of ideas, and got several test renders done. But then I was sideswiped by a bout of apathy, and shortly thereafter got distracted onto bookshelves.

But there's still six days to go, right ?

edited August 2018

You have until Daz Midnight, August 31st. :)  Looking forward to seeing everyone's work! 
    Edit: Remember, only one image in the Render thread. If you'd like to post more, those go in this thread please. :) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • @Novica love it! You made up a great story will all the needed pieces. Poor IceDragonArt!

I am working on my render. I don't know if it will be any good but I am having a very good time working on it and that's the most important part to me.So thanks Novica.

good grief that scarily looks like me.  (the red head not the old hag lol)  I'm a little bit older and not quite so skinny but wow....

(the red head not the old hag lol)

That's good!
    Novica said:

Under the Eternal Companion Spell, IceDragonArt and Old Hagred engage in a lot of activities. See the description over in the Render Thread. :)   In my Art Studio thread, I'll discuss a couple of the technical aspects. This only shows part of the set, the entire thing was done because I wasn't sure of the angle (the bar is completely stocked!)  My studio crashed a couple times but I just kept reloading it and it rendered the entire scene in an hour ten minutes! I use the Mitchell filter, not Gaussian, and lower it from 1.50  to 1.35 for sharper details.

And thanks to @knittingmommy for describing Sonja's hair for me. I knew they had met so I got the lowdown on the hair. :)  My partner in crime. 

I love those, especially the wider shot! Very funny. 

edited August 2018

LOL @icedragonart   I think we KNEW that. Knittingmommy was  :) :) :) so hard when I told her why I needed to know what hair in the store resembled yours the best. 

I had a weird thing happen with the render- part of the water rendered transparent- sorta. I could see the checkered squares AND the water. I had to import the render onto a light blue square so the water would be blue and present!  You can see the blue in the closeup second render (no sky, it's just all blue!) , but that was just done for a quickie fun one to get a closeup of the gals. And the frog! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Novica said:

Oh, I like how that turned out! I've never been described as a partner in crime. I think I like it. :)

good grief that scarily looks like me.  (the red head not the old hag lol)  I'm a little bit older and not quite so skinny but wow....

The nice thing about art is age and weight can be fudged a little. Besides, I've seen you. You aren't that much older or heavier. You look great in person!

Novica said:

LOL @icedragonart   I think we KNEW that. Knittingmommy was  :) :) :) so hard when I told her why I needed to know what hair in the store resembled yours the best. 

I've been smiling for days waiting to get to see the @Novica's image. It was well worth the wait. I'm very happy to have had a very small hand in it. :)

IceDragonArt said:

The nice thing about art is age and weight can be fudged a little. Besides, I've seen you. You aren't that much older or heavier. You look great in person!

Aww thank you!

barbult said:

(the red head not the old hag lol)

That's good!

Right? Lol

Knittingmommy was  :) :) :) so hard when I told her why I needed to know what hair in the store resembled yours the best. 

I bet she was!  Partner in crime indeed!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Novica, you made it look so easy fitting all the different items together. Even the X naturally fits in. Great composition! .

edited August 2018

Thanks!  It made me wish there really was a tropical chess bar where people could just relax and play. I don't play chess myself, but since beaches are supposed to be relaxing and chess takes time, it would seem like a good fit. Perhaps it's like bowling- the more snockered you get on alcohol, the better you play? 

We now have four fabulous PA judges and I just sent the invites out a couple hours ago. I'm headed to bed (2am here) so hopefully will hear from more tomorrow.  If any PAs are reading this who would like to be a judge, just PM me. You simply look at the render thread then on Survey Monkey, pick your top five in order. There's going to be slightly over 10 renders to look at. The PAs are looking forward to seeing the renders! 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2018

We have 16 PA judges so far, and they think this is going to be fun to see the renders you come up with. 

Post edited by Novica on

I looked at Kismet2012's combination and got a good laugh at the indoor/outdoor combination. We sure didn't make it easy, did we? I can picture the employees toting the laser arcade game inside every time a thunderstorm rolls in.

I'm looking for the Porta Potty though. Am I just not seeing it?