I'm having issues with rigging my ponytail.

2»

Comments

• XadeXade Posts: 236
    edited August 2018

I was rerigging the model and found an oddity. This is the same section side by side, Daz on the left, Blender on the right. There is no little "rook" effect in the model itself. For some reason, Daz did this by itself and I want to know how to fix it., as it shall affect the weight painting when the time comes.

Alex Pony 14.png
    1337 x 696 - 664K
    Post edited by Xade on
  • Those are group boundaries in both images? Have you tried looking at the mesh in a third application - e.g. Hexagon?

Those are group boundaries in both images? Have you tried looking at the mesh in a third application - e.g. Hexagon?

it is the same as in Blender. I actually fixed it within Daz itself with the geometry editor. I haven't had a chance to work on it recently. I'll reply if I need help. Thanks Richard.

edited August 2018

I got to thinking, and examining other articulate hair, like zed hair, an oldie but goodie, and I noticed that it's actually low polygon with a little bend on the previous joint, with a large red part once I convert it to triax weight mapping. See image.

Anyhow, my question is this. how many polygons per segment should I use for smooth bending? I tried a lot and got rather bumpy results, see the second pic. Then I remembered how the Genesis models have a low resolution and a high resolution and wondered if I could do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Man I miss the old 4 rigging :(

Alex Pony 15.png
    385 x 600 - 268K
    Alex Pony 16.png
    680 x 547 - 174K
    Post edited by Xade on
  • Blender Vertex Groups as the name implies are not the same like DazStudios Face Groups. See this post about this issue here: Blender imports - missing vertex groups (randomly)

However these few polygons should make no big difference for the weight map and smooth bending joints.

A good advice is to keep the mesh densety as low as possible. The smooth shading angle (can be set in the Surfaces pane 89.90 degees is the default for imported objects) will do its best to have the mesh look like a smooth surface even the mesh consists of very few flat facets and the subdivisions of the Sub-D modifier will smooth out the rest.

With a low resolution mesh you not just save resources like the memory that is needed for the scene but also the whole content files with the morphs will consume less disk space and last but not least its eaier to create/paint the weightmap.

The bumpiness comes from the high res mesh where every vertex point has its own joint weight value and the Smooth Selected command didn't smooth it enougth - there is a slider for percentage and iterations in the dialogue you may have to turn up further.

In the zed hair screenshot I see there are only two or three edge loops for the smooth gradient between the weightmaps that should be enouth for smooth bending.

Since you are using Blender I would add the subdivisionsurface modifier there to the low res mesh to see what it will look like in DS with Sub-D applied. You can add it to your figure or object with this Edit>Figure>Geometry>Convert To Sub-D.

edited August 2018

The lower polygon version imported correctly. In the original version, I simply used the geometry editor within Daz studio. The new version is doing much better. I think the ponytail is done, besides the ERCs. Once I'm done with this I'll work on the bangs then tidy up and convert it to the other genesis models before triying to release it to the daz store.

Alex Pony 17.png
    428 x 544 - 155K
    Post edited by Xade on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

this might help  .....