Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.335! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited July 2018

This thing is annoying, My C drive is a solid state, I don't install stuff like this on it. I have 5 terabytes of space on other hard drives I use for things like this.  
    This stupid installer just relentlessly insists I download and install everything to my solid state drive as soon as I run it no matter how many times I try to clear the que or stop downloads. Just complaining to find something to do while I wait on all this stuff to download and install to somewhere I am just going to turn around and uninstall it from. Have a nice day

Using DIM?

Click the gear icon, top right. Select the "Download" tab, then browse to where you really want the downloads to go in the "Download to" path.

Click on the "Installation" tab, then the '+' sign lower left, and add the directory you really want to install to (NOT the same as the download directory from the previous tab); this becomes a selectable install directory. If you wish, you can delete the supplied default after creating your new path. Be sure to define the new path to Studio.

Post edited by namffuak on
  • AntManAntMan Posts: 2,019

Well I worked it out but i have no idea what I did. ; )

• CGHipsterCGHipster Posts: 241

Hi, can I ask what are the notable improvements that people are seeing and also what are the present bugs, I'm not sure I'm going to rush to try it yet since it will leave me wanting to use it and risk becoming frustrated with any present bugs but I would like to live vicariously through others experience in the time being.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

I saw that you can import and export polylines and use them with dForce. So I've been able to create polylines and import them into DS and see them in the viewport but what are they used for? They don't render so are they intended only for using to make dForce add-ons?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    RGcincy said:

I saw that you can import and export polylines and use them with dForce. So I've been able to create polylines and import them into DS and see them in the viewport but what are they used for? They don't render so are they intended only for using to make dForce add-ons?

At this point, I think that is all you can do with them. Have you had any success using polylines as dForce dynamic add ons?
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2018

Non-rendering polylines in dforce... sounds like a step towards dynamic hair.

Post edited by prixat on
  • GallCommTVGallCommTV Posts: 239

For this build you need to leave limits on, Daz is aware of the issue and fix is listed for DS 4.11.0.174 http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_11_0_174

Understood, Thank you for that info Richard, Though I dont remember dissabling the 'Remove Limits' popup, and the programme isnt warning/asking me to dissable limits.

Anyway, I'll just dump this version of the beta and stick with the reiable ol' 4.9 version

• For this build you need to leave limits on, Daz is aware of the issue and fix is listed for DS 4.11.0.174 http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_11_0_174

Understood, Thank you for that info Richard, Though I dont remember dissabling the 'Remove Limits' popup, and the programme isnt warning/asking me to dissable limits.

Anyway, I'll just dump this version of the beta and stick with the reiable ol' 4.9 version

The prompt can be turned off/on in Edit>Preferences>Content tab, Pose/Shaping Preset Loading.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    barbult said:

Have you had any success using polylines as dForce dynamic add ons?

Not yet. I've tried twice but haven't seen any effect. But I really don't understand how a add-on works, so I'm probably not setting them up correctly. Have you come across any tutorials or write-ups that describe how to use add-ons? I know Mada was planning something at one point and you posted how you were able to keep panels on a dress.

RGcincy said:
    barbult said:

Have you had any success using polylines as dForce dynamic add ons?

Not yet. I've tried twice but haven't seen any effect. But I really don't understand how a add-on works, so I'm probably not setting them up correctly. Have you come across any tutorials or write-ups that describe how to use add-ons? I know Mada was planning something at one point and you posted how you were able to keep panels on a dress.

No, I haven't seen any tutorials. I don't think @Mada has posted anything yet. I had success with polygons, following the tips she gave. I will go back to your thread where we discussed this and try to post what I did to get it to work. I haven't tried using your hand created polylines technique yet.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,855

I'm still playing around with the add-ons and figuring out best uses which is why I haven't made a video yet - what Barbult posted before already covers it pretty well. You need the support vertices to be in the exact same spot as the geo you're supporting, keeping it as simple as possible and then use the transfer utility to fit the add-on to the figure you're supporting. When you simulate it should keep the geo closer to the original shape than before.

• Mada said:

I'm still playing around with the add-ons and figuring out best uses which is why I haven't made a video yet - what Barbult posted before already covers it pretty well. You need the support vertices to be in the exact same spot as the geo you're supporting, keeping it as simple as possible and then use the transfer utility to fit the add-on to the figure you're supporting. When you simulate it should keep the geo closer to the original shape than before.

Could an add-on be used to create soemthing like a hoop skirt?

• MadaMada Posts: 1,855

I haven't tried it, maybe? I did have decent results with making a base mesh underneath to keep it more in shape but I didn't quite like how the folds squished flat on top.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    prixat said:

Non-rendering polylines in dforce... sounds like a step towards dynamic hair.

This.

Laurie

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982

DOF-weirdness in interactive mode...

If I have a scene that has DOF, and I use the interactive mode, it gives me the blur just fine in the preview window render, but it doesn't work in the actual render.

Question: Is DOF supposed to work in interactive mode, or not?

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Any word on the issue with Dforce not working for some of us?  I spent a lot of money on this laptop so I could run Dforce on it, I bought is specifically for rending with Dforce because the old one couldn't do it.  It was working perfectly until this beta version.  I want to be able to use the newest version but obviously, I can't if Dforce isn't going to work.  I can keep using 4.10 but at some point, it will become obsolete and I will be out of luck.  The beta works on my 7 year old desktop - the pc has win7 and the laptop has win10.

• Any word on the issue with Dforce not working for some of us?  I spent a lot of money on this laptop so I could run Dforce on it, I bought is specifically for rending with Dforce because the old one couldn't do it.  It was working perfectly until this beta version.  I want to be able to use the newest version but obviously, I can't if Dforce isn't going to work.  I can keep using 4.10 but at some point, it will become obsolete and I will be out of luck.  The beta works on my 7 year old desktop - the pc has win7 and the laptop has win10.

It is being looked at. In the meantime, please submit a bug report so that it is in the system. Do attach a full log (the log.txt file) which will give us more information. Thanks.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103
    edited August 2018

Any word on the issue with Dforce not working for some of us?  I spent a lot of money on this laptop so I could run Dforce on it, I bought is specifically for rending with Dforce because the old one couldn't do it.  It was working perfectly until this beta version.  I want to be able to use the newest version but obviously, I can't if Dforce isn't going to work.  I can keep using 4.10 but at some point, it will become obsolete and I will be out of luck.  The beta works on my 7 year old desktop - the pc has win7 and the laptop has win10.

I got it to work in CPU only mode by installing this 

http://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/irc_nas/12512/opencl_runtime_16.1.2_x64_setup.msi

on my AMD CPU/Radeon GPU setup. I found it on this page https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#cpu-win64 that was in a few links Emma sent me in response to my bug report.

It adds an "intel Opencl" option on the "Opencl Device" drop down menu on the Simulations tab under Advanced. Yes, it's much slower than the GPU kernel, but it does function correctly so far for me.

I've not received any word on a fix for the AMD/Radeon compile time problems yet.

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    IceCrMn said:

http://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/irc_nas/12512/opencl_runtime_16.1.2_x64_setup.msi

on my AMD CPU/Radeon GPU setup. I found it on this page https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#cpu-win64 that was in a few links Emma sent me in response to my bug report.

It adds an "intel Opencl" option on the "Opencl Device" drop down menu on the Simulations tab under Advanced. Yes, it's much slower than the GPU kernel, but it does function correctly so far for me.

I've not received any word on a fix for the AMD/Radeon compile time problems yet.

Okay thanks!  I do have a Nvidea card, I got this laptop specifically for the dforce so to find it not working in the new build was a bit of a shock.

It is being looked at. In the meantime, please submit a bug report so that it is in the system. Do attach a full log (the log.txt file) which will give us more information. Thanks.

I will get it over tonight after work.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    IceCrMn said:

The older version, DAZ Studio 4.10.x, of DForce already worked on the GPU of intel integrated graphics GPUs if your GPU is intel HD Graphics 2500/4000 or newer and those types of GPUs are 7 years old so the number of customers with only intel CPUs is very small. The requirement of openCL 1.2 and openGL 4.0 isn't very cutting edge but not with DAZ Studio 4.11.+ dForce is broken but DS says I don't have the openCL 1.2 support.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103
    IceCrMn said:

The older version, DAZ Studio 4.10.x, of DForce already worked on the GPU of intel integrated graphics GPUs if your GPU is intel HD Graphics 2500/4000 or newer and those types of GPUs are 7 years old so the number of customers with only intel CPUs is very small. The requirement of openCL 1.2 and openGL 4.0 isn't very cutting edge but not with DAZ Studio 4.11.+ dForce is broken but DS says I don't have the openCL 1.2 support.

I don't have an integrated intel GPU.

My mother board is an Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0. My CPU is an AMD FX-8350 Black Edition, and my GPU is a Radeon R9-200x. Not the best setup in the world, but it's been suitable for my needs so far.

The workaround I posted just gets dforce to work in the current beta.I'm sure the Daz team is working on a fix for dforce for us, so I'm sure we won't need this workaround for long.

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

I just started using this today, and I love it so far but some of my Daz iray shaders are missing such as the Iray uber base shader and emissive shaders, did I miss installing something? 

• I just started using this today, and I love it so far but some of my Daz iray shaders are missing such as the Iray uber base shader and emissive shaders, did I miss installing something? 

You need to install the Default Resources for DAZ Studio 4.9+ package.

• I just started using this today, and I love it so far but some of my Daz iray shaders are missing such as the Iray uber base shader and emissive shaders, did I miss installing something? 

If this is your first beta you will need to reinstall most shaders, since they drop files in the application folder and the beta folder wasn't there when you originally isntalled them; this is also true of some scripts. Plug-ins also put their core files in the application folder, but the Daz plug-ins already include specific beta versions (which I assume you have installed where relevant) and not all third-party plug-ins support the betas.

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Thanks, I'll take a peek at my folders and see if I can figure out where they go. :)  

• Thanks, I'll take a peek at my folders and see if I can figure out where they go. :)  

If you install via DIM everything should be set up for you.

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited August 2018

One oddity... "Architectural sampler" does not seem to be a valid option for rendering, but it can be selected. Apparently it is depreciated and "removed", but still exists as a selectable option. (As per the logs warning)

Also, I noticed that only one card works for the denoiser, in the logs. I hope this is not the case with an actual "Volta card", otherwise there is no point in buying multiple cards if they will not "stack" for faster rendering. (When using Titan-X and two Titan-Xp cards, only card 1 {Titan-Xp}, was noted as rendering with the denoiser, in the logs.)

I am also getting a lot of failures, at times, randomly, on the same scene being loaded. Rendering with denoiser, firefly and architectural and caustics, daz crashed after around 2800 iterations. (I set the denoiser to render after 200 iterations, 8 is waaay too taxing.)

Also, I would still like to see a seperate page of settings for the "Iray preview", versus the actual "Render" settings. Iray preview is tied to the render settings, but I want to render in HD, not preview in HD. Daz3D is almost unusable if I set my settings to what I want to "Render", if trying to preview, and if I set it so the preview looks good and fast, it is not acceptable for actual rendering. Thus, I have to keep changing all sorts of settings before actual rendering, and that results in the preview changing also, which is where the death of Daz3D comes into play.

For example... Rendering, I want slower update intervals, and denoising... but not in preview. Denoiser brings daz to a stand-still in preview mode, totally unresponsive to any input. As for the update intervals, I don't need to waste time drawing the screen every second, when rendering. That slows-down rendering. I update the screen every minute, because that is all I need to see, to know when it is done.

Similar for the minimum update iterations and maximum update iterations. In preview, minimum should always be 1 and maximum only needs to be about 20-50, for a fast preview that doesn't choke Daz and my cards. However, for rendering, I use a minimum of 500 iterations and a maximum of 10,000, which kills the preview window.

Also, the image resizing would not be the same for preview, versus samples in the live preview. I render with 4096 as the min/max image threasholds, but that kills the iray preview, where the defaults of 512/1024 is fine. (I actually prefer lower, for a live preview.)

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • Deprecated means marked for removal, not currently removed.

edited August 2018

In DS 4.11-0.171 Beta, when I have a character that is translated away from the origin (z=-100 instead of z=0), Instancing Optimization = Memory causes dark artifacts in the character's eyes. Changing the Instancing Optimization to Speed eliminates these artifacts in this scene. I don't even have any instances in this scene, so why does the Instancing Optimization setting have any affect on my render at all?

This same scene does not have the artifacts in DS 4.10.0.123. In DS 4.10.0.123, a character has to be moved much further from 0,0,0 to have any of these dark artifacts show up. The fact that my particular scene works fine in DS 4.10.0.123 but not 4.11.0.171 concerns me. Has some prior fix gotten lost?

I have submitted a Request #277321 with renders and the scene file attached.

4.11.0.171 Instance Optimization memory causes eye artifacts when character translated.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    barbult said:

In DS 4.11-0.171 Beta, when I have a character that is translated away from the origin (z=-100 instead of z=0), Instancing Optimization = Memory causes dark artifacts in the character's eyes. Changing the Instancing Optimization to Speed eliminates these artifacts in this scene. I don't even have any instances in this scene, so why does the Instancing Optimization setting have any affect on my render at all?

This same scene does not have the artifacts in DS 4.10.0.123. In DS 4.10.0.123, a character has to be moved much further from 0,0,0 to have any of these dark artifacts show up. The fact that my particular scene works fine in DS 1.10.0.123 but not 4.11.0.171 concerns me. Has some prior fix gotten lost?

I have submitted a Request #277321 with renders and the scene file attached.

I also had the same trouble with multiple renders in DAZ Studio Pro Beta 4.11.+ and had to resort to moving the characters to (0, 0, 0) or as near as (0, 0, 0) as i could manage & it didn't solve the problem & I couldn't change the optimization as when I optimized for speed DS wouldn't render the scene at all then. 

This discussion has been closed.