Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247

Yeah I'd like to see more of the older style architecture from the 20's through the 60's

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

Thanks for the info. I don’t have much use for background products as I have to be mindful of space I use with renders.... I’m glad I asked.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

@jakiblue did you get the PM I sent a few days ago with the Gift Code prize? Check your inbox if you don't have it yet.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Between Collective3d, who does smaller, older Craftsman houses, and Dreamland, I do like the mix of suburban homes we have. I'd like to see a really varied street-layout prop set, with cul-de-sacs and other neighborhood oddities to scatter these houses along. Something more interesting than the long straight rows you can get so far.

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

Between Collective3d, who does smaller, older Craftsman houses, and Dreamland, I do like the mix of suburban homes we have. I'd like to see a really varied street-layout prop set, with cul-de-sacs and other neighborhood oddities to scatter these houses along. Something more interesting than the long straight rows you can get so far.

Collective3d's Long Island Mansion is particually well done with some interior detail.  It would be great to see different types of neighborhoods, but I'm guessing this is a small niche market.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited August 2018

Unfortunately the ones here are McMansions...    Over at R his older sets can be converted to Iray, but you have to get rid of the trees and bushes.  They mostly 40s and 50s vintage, which is an era i use often. Rather than a house you get a full block.  I'd like to see updated DS versions...

I really like those city blocks too. You can see an overview of five of them being used in Daz Studio here. You can even take a drive through part of it. Here tells how to use the Single Homes Iray shaders on his older sets.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

There was a thread in Commons and I can't find it so will post this here. Best Buy has an 8TB external hard drive for 50% off (150 dollars.)  Type in WD-easystore 8TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive- Black  

I use Easystore and have for years, never had a failure. I really like WD. So this is 150 instead of 300.00 and thought I would mention it. 

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

Collective 3d's Neighborhood Block 1 is currently on sale. I picked it up when it came out and am generally pleased except the trees seem way too big for me.  You can fix that with your own trees (low polygon if possible) and get a nice looking result.  With enough work uyou could go in and make some of the doors and windows open for a more realistic effect.   The block arrangement allows for a T intersction or straight streets if you prefer/

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I have both Collective 3D's Neighborhood Block 1 & the Long Island Mansion & they are outstanding. Unfortunely the Long Island Mansion wallops DAZ Studio responsiveness (maybe I should try my onld trick of changing from a viewport gizmo to the Geometry Editor to get rid of that lag for the long Island Mansion)!

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Thanks for the heads up on the hard drive, Novica.

Hopefully later tonight I will get a chance to read the LONG instructions re Not So Fast.  I may not render/participate as a player, but a quick glance showed that it will be a rollicking good time.

Thanks for the heads up on the hard drive, Novica.

Hopefully later tonight I will get a chance to read the LONG instructions re Not So Fast.  I may not render/participate as a player, but a quick glance showed that it will be a rollicking good time.

I'll walk you through it if you want to play. The instructions seem longer than what they really are because I put examples in there. Someone else summarized it in one post :)  Bottom line, you do 2 sets, 3 props, 1 character using certain pages in your Product Library. Then you choose that same amount (2 sets, 3 props, 1 character) again but from anywhere in your Product Library. Then you can choose any combination you want (sets, props, characters) and add ten more from anywhere in your Product Library. You then go through the two master lists and copy/paste what you own in a post to me so we know who can interact with you, or what they can make you do with other players. (Wah ha ha)   

If you're thinking about using that $4 off, the Industrial Garage starts at 51% off and goes to 68% off. It's a New product too.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

For anyone feeling a bit intimidated by the directions to play, just take it one section at a time, and it ends up not being anywhere near as complicated as it seems.  and once your own list is done, its pretty quick to get through the what do I own from everyone else.

edited August 2018

We've got a motley crew to play the game, it's going to be SO much fun. I did change the deadline to enter to midnight Daz time tonight. There just wouldn't be enough time for all 11 (or more) players to go through a newcomer's list of products and for me to get it ready to launch within minutes or an hour of the deadline. Play will start Friday night, if all goes as expected. 

I've added a fun aspect to the game, one that I remember as a kid. That Old Maid - you don't want to get stuck with her,right? Well, we have someone going through the thread, passed along in the same manner. And she makes the Old Maid look like a lovely lady. Whoever gets stuck with her has to add another product to their final render (decided on by the participants.) I did start the game thread (setting it up) and you can see her there, and see how the game will be played once we start. Please do NOT make any posts in that thread, it's a massive undertaking to set it up so I had to launch it. The bystanders won't be posting in the thread anyway, it's strictly for game moves. 

The challenging aspect was making the game so it can continue when someone isn't participating/ online. I managed it!  I don't think anything like this has ever been done before (which was my goal) of having forum members interact, and the game not being slowed down if someone isn't there. Whew. The participants have been great to help each other, and I appreciate their support and willingness to get involved. Oh and yeah, RGcincy and I are already eyeballing each other. He joined last night and I remember my wizard turning him into a crab and he STILL rendered cities. Just wait Rich. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Novica said:

We've got a motley crew to play the game, it's going to be SO much fun. I did change the deadline to enter to midnight Daz time tonight. There just wouldn't be enough time for all 11 (or more) players to go through a newcomer's list of products and for me to get it ready to launch within minutes or an hour of the deadline. Play will start Friday night, if all goes as expected. 

I've added a fun aspect to the game, one that I remember as a kid. That Old Maid - you don't want to get stuck with her,right? Well, we have someone going through the thread, passed along in the same manner. And she makes the Old Maid look like a lovely lady. Whoever gets stuck with her has to add another product to their final render (decided on by the participants.) I did start the game thread (setting it up) and you can see her there, and see how the game will be played once we start. Please do NOT make any posts in that thread, it's a massive undertaking to set it up so I had to launch it. The bystanders won't be posting in the thread anyway, it's strictly for game moves. 

The challenging aspect was making the game so it can continue when someone isn't participating/ online. I managed it!  I don't think anything like this has ever been done before (which was my goal) of having forum members interact, and the game not being slowed down if someone isn't there. Whew. The participants have been great to help each other, and I appreciate their support and willingness to get involved. Oh and yeah, RGcincy and I are already eyeballing each other. He joined last night and I remember my wizard turning him into a crab and he STILL rendered cities. Just wait Rich. 

I used to love that Old Maid card game. It was funny.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

If anyone is interested, AntMan has asked an interesting question in his Iron Orc thread about spending and price points.  If anyone wants to contribute you can go to this thread.  Its a good question and I'm also curious.

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2018

All Dead, All Dead by Queen always felt like an apocalyptic song to me, probably because I was a kid staring at the cover of "News of the World," when I first was exposed to the album. Anyhow, today it played on my shuffle on the way home, and I had this image pop into my head. 

I used Orestes Iray HDRI Skydomes Vol 3 - Vega System
    FLS Filthy Dirty Iray Shaders
    Emma For Genesis 3

Stonemason's After the War
    Victorian Parlor
    Distressed Dress for G3F
    And the M4 skeleton.

With Zev0's growing up morphs

I don't have my monitors calibrated, and on some it is too bright and others too dark. Hopefully on yours it looks just right. :) 

000aldead000a.jpg
    1478 x 881 - 711K
    Post edited by donovancolbert on

If you are getting the max off the stores, Gwendolyn is going to 75% off. (Not a glitch.)  Remember, you can use her morphs and not the skin, or use the skin on another character. 

edited August 2018

I rarely suggest scene combinations but I just happened to see winter outfits and this gal.  A snow alien type you can imagine coming out of the drifts or in an arctic environment - Enaria   (in the sale for $7.19, 64% off if you have bought the required number of products.)  The winter outfits are on sale too $7.54 and 64% off  (here's the female)   and you could use those on people in the scene with Enaria for the Ice Hotel setting (and that vendor also has indoor sets for the hotel)

Post edited by Novica on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    moonbeach.png
    910 x 881 - 889K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247

Beach going on the moon Cool 

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Beach going on the moon Cool 

Well, she is an alien...

That is really a creative take on how to use aliens!  Extremely clever.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666

This is sacreligious! I've never seen this thread (the active one) on the second page before surprise I'm going to remedy this and post.

Trish

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

This is sacreligious! I've never seen this thread (the active one) on the second page before surprise I'm going to remedy this and post.

Trish

LOL

edited August 2018

Yeah, off my thread six days. That's what happens when Novica spends 15 hours a day running a contest :)  (And never again!)  There's something in the works for the next one, we may be able to automate some of it. We'll see what happens. There will be set times for gameplay, and it will vary so folks in different time zones can play. It will be in much shorter time chunks and not continuous play. 

It's also going to be either just for fun or mostly sponsored by other folks next time. Much as I'd love to sponsor again,  we just got an air conditioning unit which costs us $10,000 and we have to replace our fence in September, another $4,000. And that's if nothing ELSE comes up. You know how that goes. (The washer is also on the blink. Sigh. Of course that happens AFTER the Sears store closed, offering 40% off discounts.) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

That's what happens when Novica spends 15 hours a day running a contest :)  (And never again!)  There's something in the works for the next one, we may be able to automate some of it. We'll see what happens. There will be set times for gameplay, and it will vary so folks in different time zones can play. It will be in much shorter time chunks and not continuous play. 

It's also going to be either just for fun or mostly sponsored by other folks next time. Much as I'd love to sponsor again,  we just got an air conditioning unit which costs us $10,000 and we have to replace our fence in September, another $4,000. And that's if nothing ELSE comes up. You know how that goes. (The washer is also on the blink. Sigh. Of course that happens AFTER the Sears store closed, offering 40% off discounts.) 

I don't know if this will help or not, but a few years back I bought a new washer from Home Depot… Online! Paypal was one of the payment options, and I was able to use Paypal Credit. The washer was on sale, with free delivery and setup, and I got 6 months with no interest and no payments. (Paid in full at the end of 6 months, too.) Paypal Credit still has the no interest if paid in 6 months, but they've started requiring a minimum monthly payment.

Still, it might help to push that expense out half a year, when the time comes to get the new washer… And Home Depot isn't the only place you can buy appliances online… Just a thought, anyway.

Our big upcoming expense is a new roof in September to the tune of $9300. Home "maintenance" can sure be expensive.

Oh heavens, I forgot about the roof. We need that too. 

I personally think that houses have silent communication within parts. Because it seems to coordinate everything going ka-put at the same time.

ROOF:  If we time this right, I can have a shingle shift so the roof leaks.
    WASHER: Okay, give me about 20 cycles then it's a go.
    DOORBELL:  That'll be about 3 rings for me. Not much company nowadays.
    TOILET:  Well, I'm busy. Don't know how many flushes that will be. I'll just wait until I hear someone cussing that the doorbell went out.
    DOORBELL: Deal.
    FENCE: When I see the men on the roof, then I'll know I can lose my planks.

This discussion has been closed.