Old Dog New Tricks

Comments

• I've been scrolling through this thread for an hour now. The images are stunning. Truly incredible. 

Thanks for posting them. 

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    edited July 2018

Here's a piece I did for a book cover that had a lot of background images in it. I really enjoyed the challenge on this one and had a lot of fun putting it together. 

Here's all the images I put into it - there are also some brushes that are not in the before image. The top two photos are from pixabay but the rest are mine

grail-images.jpg
    800 x 1353 - 413K
    Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Wow, that looks like a lot of work! The result is nice.

• Show not TellShow not Tell Posts: 206
    edited July 2018

I have been playing with poser and then daz for 14 years. I still stink at it.

Post edited by Show not Tell on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I so agree with @barbult on the last image!!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Gorgeous cover

Thanks everyone. Putting everything together in photoshop took much less time then the posing and rendering in Daz. :) 

edited July 2018

A couple of recent renders I have technical questions on so hopefully some of  you smarter Daz people can help me out. Here is the before version of "Circle of Friends" Notice the darker black line coming off the tree directly behind the tombstones. That didn't show up until I added the atmosphere prop and fog, it's caused by the light I'm using on Floyd, but the light was completely invisible before I added the fog. I couldn't figure out how to make it go away in Daz so I took care of it in post. But I know there will be a time when that would be over something with more detail and might not be as easy to removed in post so I would like to know how to make it go away in Daz - my guess is to move my light out of camera view, but I'm hoping there is another way so I don't have to recalibrate my lighting every time I add fog.  

Here's the post worked version. 

Circle-of-FriendsBEFORE.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 223K
    edited July 2018

I was also going to ask about the bloom filter that I used in the following render and how exactly it worked but I found the answer, but if anyone wants to go into further detail please feel free. :) 

Before: 

After:

the very short but useful bloom filter explanation: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/new_features/4_8/start

It does have a very useful illustration:

PortraitOfATrollBEFORE.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 361K
    edited July 2018

The Apple

Before postwork

TheAppleBefore.jpg
    1000 x 821 - 413K
    edited July 2018

John Coffey and Mr. Jingles

Before

What happened to the overall buttons? I fitted the overalls to G3 using @sickleyield's tutorial to go from G8 to fit G3, and it worked really well, it did do the thing where it pushed the arms back but I wanted a short sleeved shirt anyway. :) However in post I noticed that the buttons that hold the straps were missing, what did I do wrong? 

I should note that in these before images I'm posting the png images, but I actually use the canvases so they are much better bases to start out with then they look in the before, I'm just to lazy to go back in and edit the canvas again to get it into a format to show on the internet. :) 

JohnCoffyBEFORE.jpg
    1000 x 801 - 699K
    edited July 2018

I forgot this one, it was the 1st one I did with my new 1080ti. I'll post the before png image, but I actually used a beauty canvas and several light canvases to get the final look. 

oh yea, and it's inspired because I thought Teen Josie looked like Camren Bicondova (Selina Kyle from Gotham)

Here's the before png

kat2.jpg
    1000 x 618 - 204K
  • Wonderful images! I love to see your before and after.

And learned a lot from your Youtube tutorials, I'd like to see more but I know it's time consuming and a lot of work.

I still struggle with putting together images from different sources. What you did with the mouse is amazing to me.

My postwork skills improve little by little (very little) and you're a great inspiration!

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562
    edited July 2018

A couple of recent renders I have technical questions on so hopefully some of  you smarter Daz people can help me out. Here is the before version of "Circle of Friends" Notice the darker black line coming off the tree directly behind the tombstones. That didn't show up until I added the atmosphere prop and fog, it's caused by the light I'm using on Floyd, but the light was completely invisible before I added the fog. I couldn't figure out how to make it go away in Daz so I took care of it in post. But I know there will be a time when that would be over something with more detail and might not be as easy to removed in post so I would like to know how to make it go away in Daz - my guess is to move my light out of camera view, but I'm hoping there is another way so I don't have to recalibrate my lighting every time I add fog.  

Out of curiosity, is the atmosphere prop you're using a bunch of intersecting/overlapping planes? If so, what is your Max Path Length set to? (found under Render Settings -> Optimization)

Try setting it to -1 (which amounts to unlimited). In some circumstances, having it set to something lower can speed up rendering, but it can also have some unwanted effects, too. 

Hope this helps.

- Greg

BTW, fantastic artwork, as usual!

Post edited by algovincian on
    edited July 2018

Wonderful images! I love to see your before and after.

And learned a lot from your Youtube tutorials, I'd like to see more but I know it's time consuming and a lot of work.

I still struggle with putting together images from different sources. What you did with the mouse is amazing to me.

My postwork skills improve little by little (very little) and you're a great inspiration!

Thank you, I'm trying to get back to them, My daughter moved back in with her new baby and the other daughter and her friends hang out at the house in the summer so it's  hard to find any quite time as I don't want all their noise in the background. :) 

Out of curiosity, is the atmosphere prop you're using a bunch of intersecting/overlapping planes? If so, what is your Max Path Length set to? (found under Render Settings -> Optimization)

Try setting it to -1 (which amounts to unlimited). In some circumstances, having it set to something lower can speed up rendering, but it can also have some unwanted effects, too. 

Hope this helps.

- Greg

BTW, fantastic artwork, as usual!

Thanks Greg, I'm using Atmocam and it looks like one big giant dome. I usually only use the atmosphere part of it as it's the last thing I add so I already have my own camera set up for the scene, if that makes a difference.   

I commented on a couple of these on facebook but have to say I just love these newest ones.  Snow white is amazing, and the goblin portrait is just stunning.

edited July 2018

This one was giving me fits in daz. It would render about 20 minutes and just be looking really good, and then fireflies would pop up all over the skin. I tried to figure it out but couldn't so I just finally stopped the render before they showed up. 

SkulFairyB.jpg
    1765 x 1431 - 526K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I'm always amazed when I come into this thread at the stunning images you pull off. Very nice work. :)

I commented on a couple of these on facebook but have to say I just love these newest ones.  Snow white is amazing, and the goblin portrait is just stunning.

Thanks Sonya

I'm always amazed when I come into this thread at the stunning images you pull off. Very nice work. :)

Thanks KM 

edited July 2018

Circe & Odysseus's Men

No before images on this one because it's not finished, if I ever finish it I'll post the before images. :) 

edited July 2018

Unicorn Gorge

BEFORE - you can click to see larger if you want

I used multiple canvases for this and layered them using different layer modes, then a lot of rons brushes and photosop techniques. The main and tail got some help from Main and Tails 2 from rendo, this gives a great painted base, although they still need to be tinted, shaded and sometimes warped into position so that they blend with the work. The look 100 times better then the rendered hair and having that base is a huge time saver because I hate to paint hair! :) 

Also I really like the main light image as it is, so I might do another night time verson using just that file. 

BeforeGroup.jpg
    1854 x 2328 - 2M

I do hope that you finish Circe, although I really like it the way it is.

The unicorn is stunning, really beautiful!

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

Also I really like the main light image as it is, so I might do another night time verson using just that file. 

Look! Ugly one-horned mule! (bonus points if you're old enough to remember what movie that's from)

Your unicorn looks fantastic, and I was thinking a night image would look great when looking at your accent/back/main lights all lined up next to each other.

Please do one - sure I'm not the only one who would love to see it!

- Greg

• Totally love this one! Wish you had been at the DAL Webinar!

Unicorn Gorge

BEFORE - you can click to see larger if you want

I used multiple canvases for this and layered them using different layer modes, then a lot of rons brushes and photosop techniques. The main and tail got some help from Main and Tails 2 from rendo, this gives a great painted base, although they still need to be tinted, shaded and sometimes warped into position so that they blend with the work. The look 100 times better then the rendered hair and having that base is a huge time saver because I hate to paint hair! :) 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I just love unicorns! This one is fantastic. I really enjoyed seeing the different canvases. As for the other one, not sure what else you could to it as it looks great.

I do hope that you finish Circe, although I really like it the way it is.

The unicorn is stunning, really beautiful!

Thanks Sonja, Circe is a panoramic with more boars and some Koi in the pond, but there are so many pieces I started getting board of boars. lol I may get back to it some day.

Look! Ugly one-horned mule! (bonus points if you're old enough to remember what movie that's from)

Your unicorn looks fantastic, and I was thinking a night image would look great when looking at your accent/back/main lights all lined up next to each other.

Please do one - sure I'm not the only one who would love to see it!

- Greg

Thanks Greg, It might be an interesting challenge to use the same canvases and do a completely different image with them. 

Totally love this one! Wish you had been at the DAL Webinar!

Thanks Tiffany, I wish I could have made it, I did try! I think I got my ticket to late as I had forgotten that I needed to get that 1st, so I never got an email to tell me where to go to get in. Live and learn, maybe I can make the next one.

I just love unicorns! This one is fantastic. I really enjoyed seeing the different canvases. As for the other one, not sure what else you could to it as it looks great.

Thanks KM. I actually used all of them but the beauty canvas. For example putting the back light one on over top of the environment one then setting it's layer mode to lighten turned all the back light a pinkish tint, then I just pushed up the saturation on just that canvas to get the pink to show up even more. 

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071

Circe & Odysseus's Men

No before images on this one because it's not finished, if I ever finish it I'll post the before images. :) 

Love this one- very well done

Circe & Odysseus's Men

Love this one- very well done

Thanks Darwin

edited August 2018

Two versions, the more illustrated style and a more realistic style. I'm partial to the more illustrated one, what do the rest of you think? 

Run.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 500K
    Run-NRR.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 701K