Updated Genesis & Genesis 2 Products List & Thing To Be Aware Of

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,354
    edited December 1969

His issue is that DIM uses the public library. All I can say is put in a feature request. It won't get changed or looked into if they don't know people want it to be.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

"all they have to do is what they should have done in the first place and make the folder location selectable by the user"

ermm... you can point the DIM to install content to any directory you like or just download and not install, in fact you can have as many install paths as you like and switch between them at will.

The only mandatory install paths are those for the DAZ software itself and plugins.

I know. No ermming required.

The DIM software itself uses a folder in Public documents for its own files. THAT is what I am opposed to. THAT is what is unnecessary, unacceptable and against standards. Not where the DS or Poser content is installed to.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    His issue is that DIM uses the public library. All I can say is put in a feature request. It won't get changed or looked into if they don't know people want it to be.

I've said it to them. They've read it. They ignore it.

It was a mistake of theirs in the first place, but I've noted a strong tendency in DAZ never to admit that they have ever made a mistake.

Like a certain PAs product that was released recently with some missing files that meant it didn't work. I posted in the forums and submitted a support ticket, in full detail including specifying the exact problem and the names of the missing files that could be read in the formulae in the DSON data files that were in the released product. The PA responded in the forum and went and fixed the product. DAZ support did not respond to the ticket until just AFTER the fixed version was released, and then replied not with 'Oh, it's been fixed, sorry that got through QA' but with 'I've ckecked the product and it works; make sure you have the latest version and read the ReadMe to make sure you really understand how the product is supposed to work and how you are supposed to use it' - not admitting they'd made a mistake packaging the product up, but implying the product hadn't worked because I'm an ignorant peon who never read the ReadMe (naver mind having read the ReadMe, read the filelist, then read through all the actual DSON data files to discover exactly how it was supposed to work and why it didn't so my support ticket gave chapter and verse).

I fully expect DAZ not to change DIM to comply with standards and accepted programming practices. That would be admitting they'd released something shoddy (and in certain circumstances a security risk) in the first place.

But what I would LIKE them to do is to live up to their repeated statements that we don't have to use the DIM and can rather install manually by putting BACK the one thing needed to manage the content manually which they have only very recently removed, which is the version number in the filenames of the content install downloads.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    "all they have to do is what they should have done in the first place and make the folder location selectable by the user"

ermm... you can point the DIM to install content to any directory you like or just download and not install, in fact you can have as many install paths as you like and switch between them at will.

The only mandatory install paths are those for the DAZ software itself and plugins.

I know. No ermming required.

The DIM software itself uses a folder in Public documents for its own files. THAT is what I am opposed to. THAT is what is unnecessary, unacceptable and against standards. Not where the DS or Poser content is installed to.

Just out of curiosity, speaking as someone who doesn't understand a thing about ye programming wizardry - but why is that a problem?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Anyone else wanting to pile on in my bug report here, feel free.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Updated & Added:

Asobi (DIM Asobi & ToXic Toon Amy Hair Textures) (Notes: DIM files last updated on 12-13-2012.)
    Asobi Bundle (See separate entries for each product in the bundle.)
    Asobi Outfit ((DIM) (Notes: DIM files last updated on 3-20-2013.)
    Super Hero Suit for Genesis 2 Female(s) and Victoria 6 (DIM) (Genesis 2 Female) (DSON) (Notes: DIM files updated on 6-19-2013.)
    SuperHero Poses for Genesis 2 Female(s) (DIM) (Genesis 2 Female) (DSON) (Notes: DIM files last updated on 6-19-2013.)
    The Candy Factory (DIM) (DIM files last updated on 5-27-2013.)
    Victoria 5 Elite Ponytail (DIM) (DSON) (Note: DIM files updated: 3-15-2013 for Core / 1-30-2013 for Legacy / 2-4-2013 for Poser CF.)

Update Notes: The DIM version of Asobi may not be an update from the last stand alone installer version based on the dates in the DIM files. Most current DIMs for a product with December 2012 date or earlier for files have the same files as the last stand alone installer made for the product and don't need to be updated.

Asobi Outfit is a newer version since the last version in a standalone installer.

Other Comments:

A few things about updates and DIM files that may not have been mentioned in previous posts by others

Just going by the date stamps in the DIM files also gives some problems with knowing if a product has been updated that hasn't been mentioned.

The DIM version may have been created latter and had no files updated since the older installer, but it will show up as being having a latter date because of the Manifest.dsx file that is in all the DIM files.

In some cases the DIM versions have been reported as missing files that were in the older installers and the DIMs had to get updated again to fix them.

For several items you were better off using the installers instead of the DIM version because of the missing files problems.

You don't need to install the DIM version if you have the older installer installed in many cases as nothing was changed.

In some case the newer DIMs do contain newer files and DAZ never bothered to update the installers long before they started to phase them out and the DIM got updated when they still were including installers. (A few of the Poser CFs got updated versions, but they were only in DIM versions and this was a few months back.)

The product Read Me pages often give no information about the update or give the wrong information on what was updated and when the update was done.

A few clothing items got updated a few months ago with new versions and some had new character fits added and the Read Me pages were wrong on what was updated in regards to fits.

A product was updated on a certain day, but the DIM wasn't uploaded till a few days latter.

The Read Me will say the product was updated on 6-30, but the files were actually updated on 6-26 when you look at them, so you are left wondering if another update is going to be out soon or if you got the current version because of this.

All of this makes trying to know what needs to be updated and what doesn't is a nightmare.

I've actually considered just getting completely out of working with 3D figures because of the constant updates and trouble of finding out what was updated and have been buying mostly older content for Gen 4 & Gen3.

I really wish they would have keep the older installers had had the date last downloaded for files and the way newer downloads would show up in your account the way it was before switching to the newer store.

edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    DavidGB said:

Just out of curiosity, speaking as someone who doesn't understand a thing about ye programming wizardry - but why is that a problem?
    It isn't really to do with programming, it's the way Windows handles its various Documents folders. Moving the content location to My Documents made a certain amount of sense, since the old location in Program Files has been specially protected since Windows Vista. (This caused many people problems when they moved their old D|S installation and content to a new Vista system and all their content was relocated with no forwarding address that D|S could follow.)

This puts the content in the user's (that's you) My Documents folder, which is protected in a different way by being behind your user account. This separation of program and data was always supposed to be a "good practices" standard going back decades, since long before Microsoft was a twinkle in Bill Gates' eye, but some programs ignored this until the program protection enforced it.

The problem with putting the DIM system — and, even worse, the content itself for people who didn't change the default settings (or don't realise they can) — is that the Public Documents are exactly that, hung out to dry outside the security of your user account. Anyone else accessing your computer under a different user account could also see them.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Apart from that the Public Documents are on C: - and my C: drive is an SSD, which I don't write to as far as possible ...

edited December 1969

...And it looks like my bug report has been closed again, marked "working as designed".

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    DavidGB said:

It isn't really to do with programming, it's the way Windows handles its various Documents folders. Moving the content location to My Documents made a certain amount of sense, since the old location in Program Files has been specially protected since Windows Vista. (This caused many people problems when they moved their old D|S installation and content to a new Vista system and all their content was relocated with no forwarding address that D|S could follow.)

This puts the content in the user's (that's you) My Documents folder, which is protected in a different way by being behind your user account. This separation of program and data was always supposed to be a "good practices" standard going back decades, since long before Microsoft was a twinkle in Bill Gates' eye, but some programs ignored this until the program protection enforced it.

The problem with putting the DIM system — and, even worse, the content itself for people who didn't change the default settings (or don't realise they can) — is that the Public Documents are exactly that, hung out to dry outside the security of your user account. Anyone else accessing your computer under a different user account could also see them.

Ah I get it! Thanks a lot for clearing that up :D

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

...And it looks like my bug report has been closed again, marked "working as designed".

Or, rather, working, unlike the manual system of version numbers, which was done inconsistently and haphazardly.

edited December 1969

YMMV — I had the impression the manual version numbers system was finally beginning to work properly when the recent massive torrent of fixes to badly set up metadata made it impossible to keep up.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

YMMV — I had the impression the manual version numbers system was finally beginning to work properly when the recent massive torrent of fixes to badly set up metadata made it impossible to keep up.

If you skim through this thread you'll see problems with version numbers going back to last July. The manual version numbers in file names starting with the first Genesis products has been the most rigorously done attempt I've seen here, but it still had frequent errors. While I would have preferred they keep doing it (and submitted my own feature request on it), I can understand not wanting to expend the effort on a manual system which is more error-prone than the automated solution.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

What they SHOULD do, however, is make the Product Library pull version information from whatever database DIM is pulling from and show it next to the manual download links.

And they're also really bad about consistency updating the release notes to say what changed, too. If the only changes in a product are "updated metadata", I see zero reason to re-install, since I don't use the Dumb Content tab anyway...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    What they SHOULD do, however, is make the Product Library pull version information from whatever database DIM is pulling from and show it next to the manual download links.

And they're also really bad about consistency updating the release notes to say what changed, too. If the only changes in a product are "updated metadata", I see zero reason to re-install, since I don't use the Dumb Content tab anyway...

Oh yes ... that would be great!

edited December 1969

Added & Updated 7-9-2013

Colors for Fishtail Braids (DIM) (DSON) (Notes DIM Updated:4-29-2013. Product is for Fishtail Braids and Fishtail Braids for Genesis.)
    Fishtail Braids for Genesis (DIM) (Genesis / Genesis 2 Female) (DSON) (Notes: DIM files updated on 6-28-2013.)
    Jazlyn for Genesis Bundle (see separate entries for each product in the bundle)
    Jazlyn for Genesis Character and Hair (DIM) (Notes: DIM files last updated on 1-28-2013.)
    Jazlyn for Genesis Clothing and Accessories (Notes: DIM files last updated on 1-28-2013.)

• MickyBeMickyBe Posts: 336
    edited July 2013

Updated :

Classic Pin-Up Sitting Poses for Victoria 6 (DIM)
    Classic Pin-Up Standing Poses for Victoria 6 (DIM)
    Philly Hair for Genesis (DIM)

New :

Hands for Genesis 2 Female(s) (DIM)
    Terri Hair (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    The Tourist for V6 (DIM)

Post edited by MickyBe on
    edited December 1969

The Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female (DIM) has had an update since the one listed in this thread. The date of the latest version is 27th June (the date of the manifest file and the folders, while the one new file in there is dated 26th June).

The change is not obvious. The update is not listed on the ReadMe page under the updates heading, the new feature is nowhere mentioned, and the new file is not listed on the File List page, but given the nature of the addition it fits with DAZ's usual coyness. What the change is is that the product now also includes V4 UVs for the Genesis 2 Female Genitalia, which it did not originally. I think that is the only change in the update, so anyone who doesn't have or want the Genesis 2 female Genitalia needn't bother with the update.

edited July 2013

Update :

Shape Shift for Genesis (DIM)
    Shape Shift for Genesis 2 Female (DIM)

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,812
    edited December 1969

Raiden M5 was updated yesterday to correct a texture error.

edited December 1969

Thanks MickyBel, DavidGB, and vwrangler. I got all of those added and updated. I included when things got updated when that was know from posts, the online Read Me, or by looking at files for ll the items I could.

edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    Thanks MickyBel, DavidGB, and vwrangler. I got all of those added and updated. I included when things got updated when that was know from posts, the online Read Me, or by looking at files for ll the items I could.

For the Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female product I posted about, you've added that only the DIM version has the new file, but you still have the last update as 6-22-2013 (and the ReadMe has 6-23-2013). The latest (DIM) version with the added file for the V4 UVs for the G2F gens is actually dated 6-27-2013 according to the datestamps of the manifest file and the directories.

I think DAZ just don't like to mention the male and female gens figures anywhere but in the store pages for the Pro bundles they're included with: with the G2F genitalia, there's still no ReadMe or file list in the document center, and that appears to extend to not listing the 6-27-2013 update to the Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female that adds the V4 UVs for the G2F gens in its ReadMe or file list either.

edited July 2013

Update :

New update of Shape Shift for Genesis 2 Female(s) (DIM) (7/12/2013)

edited July 2013

Thanks DavidGB & MickyBel I''ve updated all of those and re-fixed Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female

I'm checking some of the ones I updated yesterday as I did update Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female yesterday and it ought to have read as:

Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female (DIM) (Genesis 2 Female) (Notes: DIM files updated:: 6-27-2013 for DSON Core / 6-22 -2012 for CF.)

But for some the changed version didn't show up after I clicked the update post button for that part of the list for some reason.

I re-updated it and it is showing now.

The forums are a bit messed up it looks like as edits to posts aren't showing up it looks like. I had to re-edit and click update post like 2 times just to get the the 7-12-2013 date to show up as the date to show as the date the main list was edited and the getting the update to Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female to show up took 4 attempts today.

If you spot any others that I need to fix please let me know.

Post edited by Jay_NOLA on
    edited July 2013

New :

Casual Denim (DIM) (Genesis 2 Female/V6)
    Saucee Outfit (DIM) (Genesis 2 Female/V6)

• edited December 1969

MickyBel said:
    New :

Casual Denim (DIM) (Genesis 2 Female/V6)
    Saucee Outfit (DIM) (Genesis 2 Female/V6)

Anybody knows what's the hair used in the casual denim promo pics?

edited December 1969

Thanks MickyBel,

I got those added in to the list.
    l

edited December 1969

Not in the list :

Add on for Zombie (DIM) (Genesis)

edited July 2013

New :

Gia 6 Pro Bundle :

Alanna Hair (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    Aspen for Gia (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    Dream Hair (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    FW Neomi (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    Genesis 2 Female Genitalia (DIM) (Genesis 2) (No update, same file as Victoria 6 Pro Bundle)
    Gia 6 (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    Gia Fantasy Poses (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    Grecian Goddess Outfit (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    Hot Cabana Wear (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    Nightfever Hair (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    Sitting Pretty for Gia (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    The Fighter (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    The Jogger (DIM) (Genesis / Genesis 2)
    The Sheriff (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    Xanadu Hair (DIM) (Genesis 2)
    XDress (DIM) (Genesis 2)

edited December 1969

New :

Hand Details for Genesis 2 Female(s) (DIM) (Genesis 2)

Running Shoes for Genesis 2 Female(s) and Genesis (DIM) (Genesis / Genesis 2)