WIP Thread for June New Users Contest.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Thx Jaderail

I know, I know I should have been here earlier but I am having some serious personal issues at the moment. I did it to help for the future to be honest.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm just hoping the next contest will be about something I understand and can help with. If it's not I might learn as the others get tips.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:

Another tip - for the key light; use raytraced shadows as they are more realistic than the deep shadow map.

Thank you! There are some really nice compositions here that are ruined by trying to take short cuts with the render options. All the well placed lights in the 3D universe will just look washed and flat if you try and get away with using the lowest possible render settings, such as shadow buffers, etc.

That's not to say that you have to use the very best render settings, but you need to make educated decisions based on the needs of the image.. In this case, the needs are primarily lighting due to the contest, so that's the last place I would look to take a shortcut.

Keep up the good work guys. As I said there are some nice compositions here.

• Haaru_WindwalkerHaaru_Windwalker Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Very useful stuff. I feel like I'm learning loads... :)

Doesn't look like I'll have the time to finish my work before the deadline unfortunately, but at least I'll have learned some stuff ready for the next one. I'll still try though xD

Love what's already been done by people.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Post what you have already, if you don't get any edits done. You do still have another 3 days.

edited December 1969

I want to see, please!!

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I'm just hoping the next contest will be about something I understand and can help with. If it's not I might learn as the others get tips.
    I would say you have helped loads in this thread.
    edited December 1969

Szark, thanks for the links and the info. I love the black and white portraits of kylumi, and I love the picture of yours. Very compaling !
    http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=506&aid=5934_LPthmQMFAwp4OLHTNive&board_id=1
    My pleasure and thank you.
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Jaderail said:
    I would say you have helped loads in this thread.You are too kind Jedi Master. I'm just parroting things I learned in the old forums. No need for the current users too hunt for all those old topics.
    edited December 1969

Well that is what we all do isn't it? :) Pieces of eight.

Oh and I maybe a jedi but no master. :P

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Well that is what we all do isn't it? :) Pieces of eight.

Oh and I maybe a jedi but no master. :P

... he say's to the Padawan.
    edited December 1969

hehehe.

edited December 1969

Pardon my ignorance here, I'm a Carrara user and not a D/S user. I've seen several posts in this thread where the artist has had extremely long render times using objects that are transmapped. What I'm wondering is, if D/S has the ability to exclude/include specific objects from the lights?

For instance, in Carrara I've been coincidentally playing around with portrait lighting (before I had come across this thread). My goal was to try and create a decent likeness of M. Monroe from a morph package I had forgotten that I DLed. Part of my goal was to try and use Carrara's dynamic hair. Dynamic hair is great, but if you want to use raytraced soft shadows it's a real time vampire. I learned a trick sometime ago that I could set up duplicated lights, with the exact same position, intensity, color value, etc. and set one up with raytraced shadows and the other without. The one with the raytraced shadows lit everything except the hair, and the one without the raytraced shadows lit only the hair. My pictures took about 2.5 hours to render at 1536x2048 on a Power Mac G5 1.8Ghz Single Core computer. Raytraced soft shadows and Global Illumination would have increased the render time to tens of hours.

Which leads me to another suggestion: Try and fake Global Illumination where you can. Use low intensity spot lights with high fall-off zones to simulate reflected light. You'll be amazed at the speed bumps.

The image I'm posting has no postwork such as levels. The only thing I did was composite a background and reduce the size for the forum. This is just a standard render with no Global Illumination (indirect light).

MMonroe-no_caust-no-post.jpg
    600 x 800 - 224K
    Picture-4.jpg
    800 x 500 - 289K
    Picture_1.png
    248 x 507 - 36K
    Picture_2.png
    244 x 495 - 35K
    Picture_3.png
    234 x 248 - 13K
    edited December 1969

Here's the postworked version:

MMonroe-test02.jpg
    600 x 800 - 195K
  • FobokFobok Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, at least that I'm aware of, (I am new at this), you can't select objects to be hit by lights in DS. (You can make objects not cast shadows, and be invisible, but not block specific lights from hitting them.) Also, I think to have light fall-off you need to buy the UberSpotlights, from what I've been able to gather.

I recently watched a video about lighting from Dream-lounge that demonstrated both those features in Lightwave, so I can definitely see how useful both features would be, so if they are in DS4 I'd love to find them. :) (And UberSpotlights are definitely in my wishlist.)

edited December 1969

Man, that would be a bummer!

edited June 2012

Okay folks remember tomorrow mid-night DAZ time is the end. Get your renders into the WIP and Contest thread. Nevermind the WIP thread just get your renders in the contest if you wish to enter. That means you Mr. EvilProducer.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Okay folks remember tomorrow mid-night DAZ time is the end. Get your renders into the WIP and Contest thread. Nevermind the WIP thread just get your renders in the contest if you wish to enter. That means you Mr. EvilProducer.

Despite my low post count, I've been here quite awhile and don't consider myself a new user. I don't think it would be fair to the new people learning the software. I was just posting a bit of a tutorial to try and show people that you don't need to turn down your render settings all the way to get decent renders and decent render times. Hopefully I've helped a little bit.

edited June 2012

Jaderail said:
    Despite my low post count, I've been here quite awhile and don't consider myself a new user. I don't think it would be fair to the new people learning the software. I was just posting a bit of a tutorial to try and show people that you don't need to turn down your render settings all the way to get decent renders and decent render times. Hopefully I've helped a little bit.Opps, I should have known from the renders and tips. But you never know just what some of the New Users have went out on thier own and picked up along the way. Thanks for joining the fun and helping. I learned from your tips and hope to see you when the next contest starts.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Despite my low post count, I've been here quite awhile and don't consider myself a new user. I don't think it would be fair to the new people learning the software. I was just posting a bit of a tutorial to try and show people that you don't need to turn down your render settings all the way to get decent renders and decent render times. Hopefully I've helped a little bit.

It's really nice of you to pop in and give tutorials and hints and tips like this.

Thankyou very much.

And Jaderail knows we owe him a big vote of thanks as well, for the way he has been keeping up with all this, despite his own situation, healthwise.

SO everybody give 3 hearty cheers for Jaderail.

edited December 1969

How about one big cheer from me. Cheer

edited December 1969

All right folks! That's enough of that. You all know I do this just because I enjoy posting. If I can be of use when I post it's just a accident most of the time. :red:

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

Hip Hip Hooray:coolcheese:

• Haaru_WindwalkerHaaru_Windwalker Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

I'd like to thank everyone for all the advice contained within these pages. It'll probably be a little while until I make some sense of it all though :P

I changed the plant because, damn, that thing took ages. And so it cut the render time down by about 20 hours. O.o

I don't think I've got the lighting quite right, to be honest, and the shadows are a little confusing because of the screen that you don't really see to his right that's kinda see through. I'm relatively happy with it though... any tips to improve it will be greatly received :)

Haven't really done a portrait before. Ok for a first try I guess. :)

samurai2.png
    618 x 800 - 639K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    All right folks! That's enough of that. You all know I do this just because I enjoy posting. If I can be of use when I post it's just a accident most of the time. :red:
    Dude you are just going to have to get used it. Most of us here do this for the same reason as you and some are in the same boat as you health wise etc. But it is nice to feel appreciated. And why not give praise when it is due. There is not enough of it in my opinion.
    edited June 2012

I'd like to thank everyone for all the advice contained within these pages. It'll probably be a little while until I make some sense of it all though :P

I changed the plant because, damn, that thing took ages. And so it cut the render time down by about 20 hours. O.o

I don't think I've got the lighting quite right, to be honest, and the shadows are a little confusing because of the screen that you don't really see to his right that's kinda see through. I'm relatively happy with it though... any tips to improve it will be greatly received :)

Haven't really done a portrait before. Ok for a first try I guess. :)

What I like about this image and the post is that A, it is a great first attempt, seriously I am not just saying it and B, yiu are starting to analise aspects of the image yourself. Good start.

I would be interested to see what your light set up is and what your render settings are. Until we get an idea of what lighting you are using we can't really advise.

Post edited by Szark on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

The contest is now complete. We will give a extra two hours from the time of my post here to enter your image into the contest thread if you haven't already.

edited December 1969

Great contest! I enjoyed it much. And Thank you to all for the praise even if I do find it a bit embarrassing.

edited July 2012

And I did one just for fun yesterday. This is four spots following almost a three point setup with a distant light pointing up with no shadows to add ambent fill light.

!01-Tired.png
    790 x 790 - 792K
  • home and hearthome and heart Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

That's one cool render, jaderail! Love it. Thanks for posting and all your help.