DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Jon said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Quick question about DIM. When there are updates do those overwrite the older zips or do I end up with zips that I don't need or want to save? I really hope that it's the former. I don't need or want redundancy in my downloads save folder. Takes up too much space.

Older zips are overwritten, so if you don't have it delete the zips after installing them, you will only have one zip per installer.

Great, that's a relief! :-)

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited June 2013

Just got the update via DIM but DIM did not put it to the location the former version was/is.
    And yes, I set the Application path in DIM to the former version of Studio.
    DIM just put it to C:/Programm Files/...

EDIT:

Just found the .exe in the Product Library

Post edited by EddyMI3D on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Jon said:
    Daz Studio, as of earlier today, can be downloaded and installed through DIM. Like other things, it only really knows about what it has installed.

All very well, but this is an extreme example of what a lot of people have been asking ever since we know what DIM's features would be. Is there a way to tell DIM "yes, I already have x installed, I don't want it downloaded again if there isn't actually an update" — if not, people with limited bandwidth or slow/unreliable connections will be less likely to stay on the DIM bandwagon. (FWIW, this lack of an "already got it" flag is one of the reasons I feel DIM is not suitable for me, I get along perfectly well without it.)
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,346
    edited December 1969

all you have to do is select the things you have installed and right click and select hide selection and it won't download

edited December 1969

Is that hide option overridden when an actual yes-something-really-changed update turns up?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Jon said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Quick question about DIM. When there are updates do those overwrite the older zips or do I end up with zips that I don't need or want to save? I really hope that it's the former. I don't need or want redundancy in my downloads save folder. Takes up too much space.

Older zips are overwritten, so if you don't have it delete the zips after installing them, you will only have one zip per installer.

Although in some cases the file names do change, so the old ones wouldn't get overwritten.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Is that hide option overridden when an actual yes-something-really-changed update turns up?

No, because it doesn't know what version you have.

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited June 2013

No, because it doesn't know what version you have.
    Hmmmm, in that case this hide function doesn't help a lot, right?
    So the best thing to do is let it install just everything...*gasp*... in the default folder (which I won't use anyway) and then delete everything (but the InstallManagerFileRegister.ini) because I have my own folder structure.

Love, Jeanne
    edited to ask: Shouldn't this be mentioned in the DIM thread?

Post edited by Jeanne M on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

Daz Studio is still crazy buggy and unstable. After MUCH work and effort i got 4.6 working, somewhat.

But it crashes EVERY TIME I TRY TO DIAL IN AN EXPRESSION facial morph, such as "smile simple" or brow up or any of those expression morphs in genesis' head morphs.

I'm going nuts not having any expressions on poor deadpan genesis. :( * 8 crashes into tonight and really really to throw Daz Studio out the window for all teh trouble it's caused me for the last few weeks!

edited December 1969

Crash again, this time using hair morphs. Udane hair.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I am so sorry you have these problems - because 4.6 is stable and faster than 4.5 for me.

What kind of graphics card do you have?
    Do you have the newest driver?
    Are you sure there was no Windows update that sneaked really old graphic card drivers on your system?
    What are your settings in Preference / Interface / Display Optimization?

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I am so sorry you have these problems - because 4.6 is stable and faster than 4.5 for me.

What kind of graphics card do you have?
    Do you have the newest driver?
    Are you sure there was no Windows update that sneaked really old graphic card drivers on your system?
    What are your settings in Preference / Interface / Display Optimization?

I've been helped with all these already. Nvidia GE force card, updated drivers in the last 2 weeks. Windows update is off. Display optimization turned off.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

And everything else (software) works fine?
    When you went back to 4.5, it worked without problems?
    I am wondering about maybe the RAM being instable or something like that.
    Sorry, I am really trying to find a solution.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I had a lot of crashes when posing or changing morph dials when 4.5 was first released and changed viewport display optimizations, but that all went away when I changed Display Optimization to 'Best' (4.5 initially had it set to 'None'). The crashes I was getting were all in the Nvidia driver. 4.6 has been stable for me.

• KalisxKalisx Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

Did I miss some information ??

This morning I decided to use DIM installer to reinstall DS and all my DIM downloaded items.

So I uninstalled DS 4.6 (x64) and CMS to get a clean situation. Then I installed DS 4.6 from DIM, open DS and went to Smart Content tab ... and nothing.
    CMS in not in DS 4.6 DIM file.

Is DIM file incomplete ? Will CMS be provided as separate DIM file ?

Thank for your help.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,707
    edited December 1969

The CMS is now installed with the Install Manager itself, not DS, so that peopel with Carrara etc. don't have to install DS to get it. Reinstall DIM and you should get it back.

edited December 1969

the expressions also caused crashes in 4.5 and sometimes so did hair morphs. I will try the display optimization but won't that slow everything down a lot?

edited December 1969

It does sound as if you may have some bad files somewhere - if you have the zips for the Genesis Starter Essentials unpack them to a new, empty, location and then set up a new content directory set that points only to that location (or rather the Content folder inside it) and see if the morphs then work. Of course if that is the issue tracking down the bad file or files will be extremely hard.

• KalisxKalisx Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

The CMS is now installed with the Install Manager itself, not DS, so that peopel with Carrara etc. don't have to install DS to get it. Reinstall DIM and you should get it back.

THANK you Richard. CMS is back.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

the expressions also caused crashes in 4.5 and sometimes so did hair morphs. I will try the display optimization but won't that slow everything down a lot?
    Display optimization 'Best' is better than 'None'...
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Display optimization 'Best' is better than 'None'...

But not always more stable, depending on the hardware.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,131
    edited December 1969

Can you clarify: are you really saying I can't get the CMS in DS4.6 unless I've installed the DIM? If so, what happened to all the comments in the past along the lines of "you don't have to use the DIM" - do you have to install it even if you don't use it?
    edited December 1969

I suppose you do, though you still don't have to use it (it doesn't do anything unless you tell it to).

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Sorry if this has been answered before but my Content Library window looks totally different in the 4.6 version, and I can't see any folders to browse! I have included a snapshot of the screen. I am wondering if I have accidentally selected an option, but can't work out what. HELP!

Content_Library.jpg
    581 x 900 - 94K
    edited December 1969

It looks like the top and bottom sub-tabs (for searches and item info) have been opened on the Content Library tab that many people ignore and very few actually use fully. See those two thin horizontal bands about 1/3 and 2/3 down the tab with what looks like a wide "=" in the middle? That's the switch to open the sub-tabs, and they're way too easy to click on accidentally. Click on the "=" and the sub-tabs will collapse, you should be left with the usual Content Library. (Note if you miss and click/drag on the band itself, that's for re-sizing the sub-tabs.)

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Yes it is option tab, do not worry,click around the middle of each border.
    when you hover mouse around border, it may trun bright yellow, then click.

edited December 1969

Slight oops — I was looking at D|S3 when I wrote that. In D|S4.6 the separators have a little up or down arrow in the middle, not a wide "=". And to confirm, I dropped the two separators in my Content Library tab and got exactly what you're seeing. So all you have there are two sub-tabs that you can safely collapse and might not ever need anyway.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Did something dramatic change with preview renders in the most recent update?

I've just tried several times to use the preview render tool to do a spot render of a portion of a scene, just to see how it would look under current conditions, and each time DS has given me the progress popup (as depicted in my attachment), and then... nothing. Timer continues to count up, and no spot render is made.

Running this on OSX 64-bit version if that matters.

Screen_Shot_2013-06-27_at_12.08_.41_AM_.png
    429 x 371 - 122K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Many thanks - I have now found my folders!!

edited December 1969

Did something dramatic change with preview renders in the most recent update?

I've just tried several times to use the preview render tool to do a spot render of a portion of a scene, just to see how it would look under current conditions, and each time DS has given me the progress popup (as depicted in my attachment), and then... nothing. Timer continues to count up, and no spot render is made.

Running this on OSX 64-bit version if that matters.

It's getting stuck optimising images - it does that sometimes. Use Edit>Preferences to check the location of your temp folder and either go there to delete its current contents, then reload the scene and try rendering, or try changing the location and again reload and try rendering.