?? Philemo plugin dynamic hair to mesh ??

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Looks great, Phil.  If you have not done so yet, you should also start a thread in the PA Commercial forum.  

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Phil, this is an excellent classic bob with a fringe! This hairstyle really suits Stephanie.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    Philemo said:
    Phil, You're making my day ;-)

I owe you for your wonderful plugin!

Diomede said:

Looks great, Phil.  If you have not done so yet, you should also start a thread in the PA Commercial forum.  

Now done!

Tim might know if this kind of stuff works, but he has an ongoing coming soon thread, a Facebook presence, etc.    I follow his Daz forum coming soon thread in the PA forum so sometimes get notified when it gets updated. 

Any hints on what the unique morphs are?  Are they for styles, or for wind, both, other?  

Diomede said:

Tim might know if this kind of stuff works, but he has an ongoing coming soon thread, a Facebook presence, etc.    I follow his Daz forum coming soon thread in the PA forum so sometimes get notified when it gets updated. 

Any hints on what the unique morphs are?  Are they for styles, or for wind, both, other?  

There are both style and wind morphs. Because it starts as a Carara dynamic hair, I have used brushing, cutting, wave, frizz and kink parameters to generate a range of interesting morphs, which give great variety to the hair both individually and combined. Some of these would be very difficult to achieve with conventionally modelled polygon hair.

Veronica, do you have a coming soon thread in the PACommercial forum?  If not, should consider the next time one of your products is close to hitting the store, and consider keeping it longer term. Of course, I wouldn’t know, and it might be a waste of time, but it does seem like it could help a little without too much risk or effort.  Again, encourage Tim to correct if I am being naive.

Ted, my idiosyncracy is never to say anything in advance, just out of superstition.

Vyusur said:

Ted, my idiosyncracy is never to say anything in advance, just out of superstition.

i am a firm believer in “if anything can go wrong, it will, at the worst possible moment.”  Also known as Murphy’s Law., I always respect people being prudent.  

smileyyes

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    Diomede said:

I *seem* to sell less if I don't post about it, although I don't have definitive numbers, and there are lots of other factors in play (like March Madness etc. events, for instance) . . .
    I vacillate between having a single thread for everything, and having a thread per product. Last year I had a single thread; this year I'm back to separate ones. I don't know if this makes a difference. (this is for the thread in the Commons). With a single thread you need to keep changing the title, or it isn't relevant, and then people can't find discussions about earlier products. With multiple threads, people are not automatically subscribed, so may not see it. Decisions, decisions!

I usually post in this forum a few days before I post in the Commons, mostly because my thread here gets more engagement, and often I'll post different images (more Carrara-specific stuff here, for example). We don't generally know the release date until about a week before, and there's no point posting before you have a date, cos people will forget. We're discouraged from saying what the actual release date is.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Alexandra 8 with Paige Hair smiley

Alexandra 8 with Paige Hair smiley

I like it!

A couple more promo images to show alternative styles that are included.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Looks excellent, Phil!  I applaud your creativity in using Philemo's genius plugin, and turning Carrara hair into a sellable DS product. :)

A few months ago, you said:

"This plugin has come on tremendously over the last few weeks and is now much more reliable and useful for producing polygon based hairs. Doing this strand by strand (which is how most hair models are still done!) is tedious in the extreme, and so this method provides a much more natural and easy way to make hair models, which can be used in any other program (including Daz Studio and Poser). I wouldn't be surprised if this plugin by itself attracts quite a few people to using Carrara."

Does this now open the gates for other PA's to follow your lead?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    PhilW said:

A couple more promo images to show alternative styles that are included.

lovely work PhilW congrats!

Looks excellent, Phil!  I applaud your creativity in using Philemo's genius plugin, and turning Carrara hair into a sellable DS product. :)

A few months ago, you said:

"This plugin has come on tremendously over the last few weeks and is now much more reliable and useful for producing polygon based hairs. Doing this strand by strand (which is how most hair models are still done!) is tedious in the extreme, and so this method provides a much more natural and easy way to make hair models, which can be used in any other program (including Daz Studio and Poser). I wouldn't be surprised if this plugin by itself attracts quite a few people to using Carrara."

Does this now open the gates for other PA's to follow your lead?

Potentially yes. I have to say that there is still a fair amount of work to go from the output from the plugin to getting to something saleable - but it is a lot easier and faster than doing it all manually!  So yes, I hope that it does attract the attention of hair makers to try out Carrara.

edited March 2018

Well, I finally decided to take a stab at creating a transmap for prop hair.  For my first attempt, I grew some hair on a grid, turned the grid upside down, applied a white-to-gray gradient for color with vertical scan lines, adjusted the length variation and density, and rendered to a black background.  OK , not the greatest, but it was just the first test.

Back in the days of Poser 4, I had a prop hair tutorial.  I think it was by Kozaburo.  Having a hard time finding it on my HD again.  From what I remember, the author of the tutorial created a 3-4 dot brush and then in photoshop drew vertical lines, stopping before the bottom.  The author then did some layering of colors between gray and white.  It seems I should start with the draped result from my dynamic hair grid, then do more adjustments in Photoshop along the 3-dot brush approach.  

Just a first try of the drape dynamic result without adjustment in an image editor.

hair tile resaved 1 test render.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 107K
    hair tile resaved 1.jpg
    496 x 483 - 183K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2018

Quick Tip - Have a horizontal black bar at the very top of your transmap. Otherwise, the frayed edges of the hair will have a blocked off end.

Comparison with top black horizontal bar and without

hair tile resaved 3 test render 333.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 306K
    hair tile resaved 2 test render 2b.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 282K
    hair tile 44444 render photoshop adjust.jpg
    496 x 483 - 182K

A little preview of a new product that I am working on which also started life as a Carrara hair, converted with Philemo's wonderful plugin and here modelled by Alexandra 8 HD and rendered in DS with iRay.

edited April 2018

@PhilW, you have really shown the best uses of this amazing plugin.

However, I want to show how a toon fan might put it to use.  I started this for a monthly chllenge but other things got in the way.  I am posting the hair related tests here.  I want hair for a toon character that is going to start curly, dive in water, and then be wet/draggled.

I created a silly toon character.  I created a hair cap and grew and brushed some hair.  I used the frizz and kink shaders to give the hair an interesting look.  I reduced the hair display percentage.  I then used Philemo's hair plugin to convert to an obj.  That created the base toon hair.

I then returned to the dynamic hair.  I entered the hair modeler and used the dynamic function to straighten the drape.  I edited the shader to reduce or eliminate the frizz and kink.  I used the conversion plugin again to create a new draped mesh.  I saved this new version as a carrara file and note the location.

I returned to the scene and selected the first converted hair object.  I entered the modeling room.  I selected all and created a morph area.  I created a new morph.  I selected edit morph and clicked "load" and browsed to my saved draped mesh.

The hair can now be morphed or animated for getting wet.

uu01 hair room display percentage and settings.JPG
    1676 x 953 - 204K
    uu02 hair shader frizz and kink.JPG
    1890 x 953 - 177K
    uu03 hair converted using philemo.JPG
    1549 x 967 - 143K
    uu04 drape hair and convert.JPG
    1346 x 916 - 144K
    uu07 create morph area create morph edit morph load fro file save and valid.JPG
    1539 x 966 - 169K

Some examples of toon renders using the morph dial

uu10 another morph setting.jpg
    640 x 480 - 31K
    uu09 toon render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 31K
    uu11 anoher setting.jpg
    640 x 480 - 28K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Super sweet - thanks for posting your experiments and explanantions!

@Diomede - thanks for your kind comment and a good description of using it to set up a morph.

Does anyone know (because I have tried and failed) if it is possible to export a morphed object as a new OBJ when you have set up the morphs yourself? For example with the hair above, let's say you have created several different morphs using the mthod that Diomede has outlined, each loaded from a separate OBJ.  Now you put together a style by combining several of the morphs, and you want to create a single morph for that style. You SHOULD be able to export that shape, using the "Morphs and Skinning" option in the OBJ exporter, but it doesn't seem to work with your own morphed objects. Any advice welcomed!

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

How many polys is too many polys?

As with many things, the answer is "it depends"!  If you aim for a poly count of up to 100k, most systems will be able to handle that without any problems. If you are coming up with over a million polys, most systems will struggle with that number, although some programs are more adept at handling large poly counts than others. Between those two, I would take a "suck it and see" approach depending on how you are using it - if whichever program you are using is starting to be slow and unresponsive while using it, aim for a lower poly count.

I have a new hair coming out in about a week's time, and like my last couple of hairs, it started life as a converted Carrara hair using Philemo's plugin, so I thought that I would share a little preview here.

Looks great, Phil.  The plugin may be a good start, but your skills make the magic.  Congrats to Philemo and yourself.

Don't know why I am only now seeing your previous question about the morphs.  If I get a chance this weekend, I will do some tests unless you already have it sorted out.

Does anyone know (because I have tried and failed) if it is possible to export a morphed object as a new OBJ when you have set up the morphs yourself? For example with the hair above, let's say you have created several different morphs using the mthod that Diomede has outlined, each loaded from a separate OBJ.  Now you put together a style by combining several of the morphs, and you want to create a single morph for that style. You SHOULD be able to export that shape, using the "Morphs and Skinning" option in the OBJ exporter, but it doesn't seem to work with your own morphed objects. Any advice welcomed!

Diomede said:

Looks great, Phil.  The plugin may be a good start, but your skills make the magic.  Congrats to Philemo and yourself.

Don't know why I am only now seeing your previous question about the morphs.  If I get a chance this weekend, I will do some tests unless you already have it sorted out.

Thanks for the kind words. And yes, if you can find a way around this, I'd still be most interested.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited June 2018

Congratulations Phil, on another fine product!  It has a very nice shape. 

I do have a question for hair experts like yourself. The hair seems very flat.  Are you going to add highlights/shininess?

Here is a pic of a real model to illustrate what I mean.

1518917702-golden-chocolate-brown-hair-color-1000-ideas-about-medium-brown-hair-color-on-pinterest-medium.jpg
    736 x 1104 - 128K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on