?? Philemo plugin dynamic hair to mesh ??

Comments

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited January 2018

Philemo said:

Edit...Here is an old sculpt of "Meg" with converted hair and rendered in 3DCoat.

@stu sutcliffe

May I use your picture in the sourceforge screencopy page?

Of course you may Philemo!

Post edited by stu sutcliffe on
  • Philemo...Im probably gonna retread a few other old hairy creatures when I get the time, if you check my Artstation page occasionally I will probably say if I have used your plugin, feel free to grab em! ( if you think they are worth grabbin' that is...)

• Here is another oldie Ive blown the dust off.

Im pretty convinced the root and tip value inputs are reversed in the plugin, anynoe else?

Not a problem though.

This one worked a treat, may retopo and paint and send this to Daz Studio for some Irays.

Tarkin Screen Grab Process001.png
    728 x 947 - 1M
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

That is a wondereful model / characature!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Ah, the Cushing! yes

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

Here is another oldie Ive blown the dust off.

Im pretty convinced the root and tip value inputs are reversed in the plugin, anynoe else?

Not a problem though.

This one worked a treat, may retopo and paint and send this to Daz Studio for some Irays.

Damn, that's nice!

Although time has been tough to find, I did manage to dig in and have a quick look at the new plugin, but I left the roots and tip equal because of how I need to play with the visible (Alpha) strands throughout. I'll try the settings though to see if I can verify.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Here is another oldie Ive blown the dust off.

Not a problem though.

superb!

here's one from me - I used hair on a flat terrain and converted it - then used that as the base for a surface replicator (cant use hair for that apparently) 

so I replicated the leaves and flowers

on two lots of converted hair of different lengths

iit's a 2400 pixel image

thanks again for the plugin!

Looks Awesome, HW!

• Finally finished this.

Philemos plugin did sterling work.

And I cant believe 3dcoat retopo-ed it and even unwrapped it to UV it.

Mr Tarkin65.png
    780 x 1040 - 1M

Fantastic!!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

how cool.... yes

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    head wax said:

here's one from me - I used hair on a flat terrain and converted it - then used that as the base for a surface replicator (cant use hair for that apparently) 

iit's a 2400 pixel image

I like this. Good approach !

beaut work stu sutcliffe , hard doing a characterisation in 2d let alone 3d.

Alberto said:
    head wax said:

iit's a 2400 pixel image

I like this. Good approach !

Thanks Alberto , always fun to distort tools to our own evil  means .

Next maybe a city made of hair strands :)

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Great hair plugin! Thank you very much, Philemo!

2018-03-11_1421.png
    722 x 764 - 148K

I have a new product which started life as a conversion from Carrara Hair to polygon hair with this plugin - quite a lot of work after that but it would not have been possible without Phileno's wonderful plugin. It has passed testing and just waiting on getting a release date allocated.

Good luck with your new product, Phil!

Vyusur said:

Thank you Veronika!

My pleasure!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    PhilW said:
    Vyusur said:

Thank you Veronika!

Good luck, Phil.

On a related note, I have your hair lustre shader for Iray.  https://www.daz3d.com/hair-lustre-shaders-for-iray    Two thumbs up.  But do you have any sugestions or  best practices for applying it to a Philemo-converted prop hair?  I am porting my Egypt hair to Studio but the ends need to be frayed.  Doesn't seem to be getting a transmap.  But to be honest, I'm not even sure I am applying it correctly   https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3418516/#Comment_3418516

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited March 2018

Here is Veronika's new Tanya character with the hair prop I converted with Philemo's plugin then exported to Studio.  I have PhilW's black lustre applied as the shader to the hair, but you can see I still need to work on the transmaps for the fringe.

tanya g8f with egypt freebie hair with phil lustre shader.jpg
    800 x 615 - 292K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Wow, beautiful hairstyle! Ted, you have to complete the hair with transmaps.

I have taken the approach that if you set the number of visible hairs to 1% - so that say 100,000 Carrara hairs will convert to 1,000 polygon strands - then you need a transmap with 100 hairs on it in order to get back to mimicing the same density of hair. A setting of 2% will need 50 hairs and so on. It's not a hrad and fast rule but it is a starting point.

In order to generate the transmap, you can also use Carrara's hair. Load a single rectangular polygon and populate it with the number of hairs that you want. You can brush them and set kink, wave and frizz so that they aren't just straight, set them to pure white and the background to pure black, set ambient to 100%, frame the hairs and render a nice looking transmap (you may need to play with scaling etc to get the look you want).

Phil, thank you for sharing your experience. It seems extremely interesting, but I'm not sure that I clearly understand all the details. I have to try this technique myself.

V (can I call you V?) - yes if you try it for yourself it might become clearer - let me know any questions.

Thank you once again!

edited March 2018

So my new hair product should get launched on my Daz store this week, so I thought I'd preview it here first. It is a conversion of one of my most popular Carrara hairs for V4 - Paige Hair - but using Philemo's plugin, I have produced a polygon version for G8 for use in Daz Studio. There was quite a bit of work to get it to saleable standard, but it wouldn't have been possible without that starting point. And I learned a lot from doing it so the next one should be easier to do. Here are a couple of my favourite promos for it (DS renders as it is for Genesis 8 Female).

Promo01 Blonde Head Back.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 310K
    Promo13 Pink Hair Laugh.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 365K
    Post edited by PhilW on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Wow, Phil...no more bad hair days! (wish I had one of these)  Look forward to it.  yes Silene

• Phil, You're making my day ;-)