FLUIDOS plugin for Carrara -- version 1.4 update

Comments

• animaToyanimaToy Posts: 6

Only the progress bar, Carara is still useful, works well...

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,873
    animaToy said:

It happens to me only when I stop the simulation by pressing ESC and only when the simulation is really heavy.
    It sounds like the plugin simply stopped working and the interface didn't refresh... Try to put every parameter to its minumum and retry!

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381
    animaToy said:

So, it's a plugin failure only...

No error message?

DUDU said:

I noticed that the memory used or available for Fluidos is very low what cause a crash for the elaborate scenes.
    There is not only the fluid itself, but also the objects which take part in the simulation.

Imago said:

I think it because of the "uncompatible" file format Fluidos works with (the .PLY files it generates), maybe the CPU or the GPU are asked to "do something more" to handle them and they simply surrender.

The 1.1 version has a bug in FluidS modifier that causes a memory leak at each new frame during rendering, Interactive Rendered included (3D View). A rendering of movies of complex fluids simulation could cause a huge memory drainage

It's fixed in the new version.

DUDU said:

A render in images sequence is always better

I agree.

Alberto said:
    The 1.1 version has a bug in FluidS modifier that causes a memory leak at each new frame during rendering, Interactive Rendered included (3D View). A rendering of movies of complex fluids simulation could cause a huge memory drainage

It's fixed in the new version.

Ah, this sounds nice! Can't wait to see it! Those new functions really allures me!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    Imago said:

Yay, thanks man! laugh I can't wait to grab the new version and start experimenting!

About the file... I thought it was a issue for me only! Every time I render a movie Carrara freezes! The only way to render is Image Sequence and then use VirtualDub to make the movie clip.

It's something inside the file, then?

I have issues with movies in Carrara too

mine end up a jumbled offset mess even though the temp image files look fine and promptly vanish for ever after it done

learnt to render to image series long ago

I have the same issues in DAZ studio and Poser but not Blender or iClone

it is possibly codec related

Alberto said:
    animaToy said:

So, it's a plugin failure only...

No error message?

Yes, no error message. Otherwise it would be easier, because now I don't know what the problem is.

Imago said:
    animaToy said:

It happens to me only when I stop the simulation by pressing ESC and only when the simulation is really heavy.
    It sounds like the plugin simply stopped working and the interface didn't refresh... Try to put every parameter to its minumum and retry!

I've tried, but nothing changed 

So you just have to wait the new patched version.

Imago said:

So you just have to wait the new patched version.

I'm waiting ^^

*Dried-out human-like figure crawls slowly*
    Fluuuuuiiiidssssss.... Please, gib mii fluuuuuiiiidssss..... crying
    *Drops on the ground breathless*

Sorry, it came out by itself! cheeky

Alberto, any news? Not pushing you, anyway! blush

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    Selina said:

What a wonderful plugin this will be ... my initial experiments show that

1. it has a habit of breaking through models - so proxies have to be used or smaller particle sizes greatly increasing calculation period
    ​2. it will somehow lose volume over a short period of time - can't find a work around for this one
    ​3. it has a nasty habit of miscalculating shaped areas so they vanish for a frame or two and then reappear

..what I'd like to see if possible

4. liquid cohesion with not so many holes appearing if the volume isn't high enough to compensate - some kind of metaball attraction?

All in all, a very exciting plugin for carrara users. I'm positively anxious to see the next incarnation... wink

Thank you for the review!

1. Yes, this is because these models are thin in comparision of cell size. The plugin converts the mesh models in cells in a grid. So, if the grid is coarse, some details in the model will be lost. Proxy is good idea. Although the proxies don't need to be low-polygon ones, only "fatter". The simulator is not affected by the polygon count.

2. and 3. These are artifacts due to coarse grid (high cell size). They can be corrected with small cell size or higher Level of subdivision (sadly, both increase calculation time). The animated solids can produce a higher loss of fluid because when they move, replaces the fluid cells instead of pushing aside; this is a limitation of the simulator: it can be reduced by increasing the FPS.

4. The holes can be reduced by reducing the cell size or increasing the Level of subdivision. Both increase calculation times, but the later method is faster than the former.

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

Selina said:

..well I'm back from the lab...

https://youtu.be/DwqQ_Utzax0

1. Even with a greater subdivision, the resultant mesh does not flow and bits drop out (on the linked video towards the end the mesh looses substantial mesh around the edges and then bits appear and disappear making the animation look messy)
    ​2. The floor level is not at the bottom of the designated area and the resultant mesh has to be moved to compensate
    ​3. Scalling seems to need to be in all three dimensions with 'z' taking priority (my initial area was scaled 200 x 200 x 100) the new area for the modifier was scaled the same, but the resultant mesh was wrong so had to be scalled 100 x 100 x 100 to look right)

I don't know if this is helpful as PhilW is already beta testing - but I add it anyway :)

Selina

you can embed your videos if you click source and paste the link enlightened

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi Selina

the Fluid "visualiser" doesn't need to be scaled,. it's an auto-fit type of situation,.

once the main fluid container is created,. you add the fluid (visualiser) and align it to the first,. (select 1st object,(target) . Shift select object to move,. go to Edit/Align, then click the three axis arrows.)

that should position the fluid visualiser, to match the main fluid sim.

Hope it helps :)

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

While Fluidos models well the movement of fluids on static surfaces, it does not do so well with moving objects, they tend to absorb the liquid rather than displace it as you would expect. I'm not sure that there is anything that Alberto can do about that at the moment, I know he is aware of it.

edited March 2021

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited April 2018

I raised an issue with Alberto a few days ago and I haven't heard from him since - maybe he's working on it or even taking a well deserved break?!

P.S. Yes, I believe it is a limitation of the algorithm so it is out of his hands.

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited April 2018
    PhilW said:

While Fluidos models well the movement of fluids on static surfaces, it does not do so well with moving objects, they tend to absorb the liquid rather than displace it [...] Alberto [...] is aware of it.

Yes, sadly the plugin doesn't like moving objects. I guess it depends on how the cells are processed... For exampe in cell 1x1 there is a drop and in cell 1x2 there is the external surface of the container. If the container moves to cell 1x0, the drop suddenly finds itself inside the mesh and the plugin simply deletes it.

This happens especially with forces applied, when the fluid adhere to the surface and the mesh moves slighlty, you see the drops disappear suddenly. It would be SUPER if the plugin (or the base algorithm on which it works) if the fluids can recognize a surface as "stay here and don't move unless there are no other drops next to it".

But I guess it depends on the base algorithm not the plugin itself!

Post edited by Imago on
    Selina said:

Alberto, ¿Esta trabajando duro? ¡Claro que sí!

Me pregunto si es posible tener el agua dentro de la caja pequeña, o no...

Saludos,

Selina

Hola, Selina.

Justamente, sí, he estado algo ocupado.

Deberia ser posible, pero hay que agregárle a la caja pequeña una fuerza superficial (Surface force), para empujar el líquido, porque el sólido en sí no lo hace (limitaciones del motor de simulación original).

Hasta luego.

edited March 2021

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited April 2018

Despite my best effort I have not been able to get Fluidos to run on my machine [ .dll will not load - see previous posts]

So, not to take away anything from Alberto for his efforts with the plugin and his help given me, I have been looking to Blender and this Flip Fluid plugin which should be out next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiB1GL2ltnQ&feature=youtu.be

Post edited by 0oseven on

0oseven, I don't know If you already tried... But somewhere I found something about "signing" DLLs to bring Windows load them with less issues.

Give a look in the net!

0oseven said:

Despite my best effort I have not been able to get Fluidos to run on my machine [ .dll will not load - see previous posts]

So, not to take away anything from Alberto for his efforts with the plugin and his help given me, I have been looking to Blender and this Flip Fluid plugin which should be out next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiB1GL2ltnQ&feature=youtu.be

The Blender plugin is a R. Guy simulator, derived from GridFluidSim3D, the same simulator FLUIDOS is based. Therefore, the Blender plugin uses OpenCL too. Be sure your system has OpenCL installed (I think this is the problem in your machine. I noticed that error in a computer without a videocard OpenCL capable).

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited April 2018

Thankyou Alberto.

I'm afraid i'm an 'out of the box' kind of guy wink I have very little understanding of what goes in to making 3d applications work.

I learned that my grphics card - Nvidea gtx780m - does support Open CL. I checked the KHRONOS website and a few others in an attempt to find out HOW to get and install Open CL  which I understand must be a graphic programming library or something. I didn't find an answer so maybe I can trouble you or some one else to help. 

Open 'GL' as as used in Carrara and othe programs seems to be installed along with the software  OR is it within the Nvidea drivers and called from there ? I'm just guessingblush By the way have the absolute latest Nvidea driver 397.31 released 25 April 18.

I really would like to solve this and use Fluidos

PS will be interesting to see, when it is released , if the Blender Fluid plugin works for me

Post edited by 0oseven on

I played a bit with export to DAZ studio and iray and posted on facebook and the DS users are so jealous

0oseven said:

Thankyou Alberto.

I'm afraid i'm an 'out of the box' kind of guy wink I have very little understanding of what goes in to making 3d applications work.

I learned that my grphics card - Nvidea gtx780m - does support Open CL. I checked the KHRONOS website and a few others in an attempt to find out HOW to get and install Open CL  which I understand must be a graphic programming library or something. I didn't find an answer so maybe I can trouble you or some one else to help. 

Open 'GL' as as used in Carrara and othe programs seems to be installed along with the software  OR is it within the Nvidea drivers and called from there ? I'm just guessingblush By the way have the absolute latest Nvidea driver 397.31 released 25 April 18.

I really would like to solve this and use Fluidos

PS will be interesting to see, when it is released , if the Blender Fluid plugin works for me

Maybe an OpenCL CPU-only Runtime Package can help you: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#latest_CPU_runtime.

edited April 2018

I uploaded FLUIDOS version 1.2

These are the new features:

• Viscous fluids simulation available.
    • Some advanced features are now available.
    • FluidS modifier is faster.
    • The triangle diffuse particles geometry is fixed.
    • Triangle particles can be oriented to camera now.
    • A memory leak in FluidS was fixed.
    • And some other bugs was fixed.

The updated manual explain details. I add two scenes in the files. In addition, there is a template for texture maps in shaders for the diffuse particles triangles.

The version is for Windows 64 and 32 bits

Thanks to PhilW and Imago for the beta testing.

Post edited by Alberto on