FLUIDOS plugin for Carrara -- version 1.4 update

Comments

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    Selina said:

FLUIDOS - Now with Viscosity...

What follows is a series of tests to show the values involved in getting good results with Fluidos - Thanks to Alberto for all his hard work!

Key to general info:

1. CS: - Cell Size
    2. LS: - Level of Subdivision
    3. FC: - Force
    4. VT: - Viscosity
    5. HP: - Higher Precision

Happy Fluidosing!

Selina

Stunning work Selina, as others have said, those are beautiful examples, with extraordinary grace.
    Where have you been hiding all these years?  smiley

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

Philemo, Alberto, Misty and now Selina..what a dream team for carrara! yessmiley

can't wait to seeing more

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

@Selina - I have a feeling that you're going to be teaching us old dogs some new tricks! I've been very impressed with your work so far.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

..Ditto  :)

Geat work Selina

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Philemo, Alberto, Misty and now Selina..what a dream team for carrara! yessmiley

can't wait to seeing more

"More" would include seeing Magaremoto release those incredible realistic light sets which use almost no resources.

smileysmileysmileysmileysmiley

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

smiley

I would have done more and devoted more time to carrara but daz policies caused me to move towards more "solid" challenges

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Thank you for these tests Selina,
    I made also some tests by using this new function of viscosity, very well but I unchecked "Activate" after 50 images, although I use the physical engine of Carrara, there are many blobs which remain fixed in the air.
    Is there somebody who has a good trick to stop the particules emission without having this problem?

Thanks.

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    DUDU said:

Thank you for these tests Selina,
    I made also some tests by using this new function of viscosity, very well but I unchecked "Activate" after 50 images, although I use the physical engine of Carrara, there are many blobs which remain fixed in the air.
    Is there somebody who has a good trick to stop the particules emission without having this problem?

Thanks.

You could set on Higher Precision in Viscosity in these cases (this was the reason it was incorporated). 

Or you could  increase the Marker Particle Scale (in Advanced Properties).

The physical engine do not affect the fluids in the simulation.

Hi Alberto!
    I made my tests with and without hight precision, the liquid is more compact in hight precision but the problem persists.
    I also increased the marker particle scale (may be to much…) and the fluid is not visible any more (about 1Ko per .ply file)…
    Impossible to retrogress, I must start again my scene from zero.
    I had already noticed that when one did too many simulations after modifications, Fluidos did not react any more and it is necessary to start again since the beginning.
    Is it possible to increase/decrease the production of particles in a progressive way?
    I tried to re-scale the FluisS emitter, but that didn't work.
    For what is used the boutton “Physical Engine”?
    Thanks!

Hi Dudu!

DUDU said:

Is it possible to increase/decrease the production of particles in a progressive way?

If you're talking about the fluid emitted by the source, yes, the velocity is animatable.

DUDU said:

It's for external physics objects (not parented to Fluid Domain)  can react to the fluid simulation in the FluidS, although the fluid cannot react to this object this way. 

E.g., you can get an object to float over the fluid.  

It's an animatable feature, but it's very time costly as the Physics engine try to run its simulation from the start of the time whenever it's called. So, it's advisable to set ON only at discrete times in the sequencer: that is, set ON in one frame and OFF the next frame. Here is an example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16qIl3wDbwIiytdyFv4VaBo9qqFvLiZrU/view?usp=sharing

DUDU said:

Are you referring to the FluidS modifier?, or the source emitter?

DUDU said:
    I made my tests with and without hight precision, the liquid is more compact in hight precision but the problem persists.
    I also increased the marker particle scale (may be to much…) and the fluid is not visible any more (about 1Ko per .ply file)…

1 Kb per .ply file is generally no geometry at all.

May I see the scene?

DUDU said:
    I had already noticed that when one did too many simulations after modifications, Fluidos did not react any more and it is necessary to start again since the beginning.

What happens?, Is it locked?

Sometimes is the FluidS modifier that must be reenable to get it to update the number of files in the folder. Or if the first simulation is longer than the second, the FluidS modifier reads too the files not replaced (it can be manually deleted).

I hope we can solve this.

edited May 2018
    Alberto said:

Hi Dudu!

DUDU said:

If you're talking about the fluid emitted by the source, yes, the velocity is animatable.

Yes, the force change with the keyframes but not the rate of the flow.

DUDU said:

It's for external physics objects (not parented to Fluid Domain)  can react to the fluid simulation in the FluidS, although the fluid cannot react to this object this way. 

E.g., you can get an object to float over the fluid.  

It's an animatable feature, but it's very time costly as the Physics engine try to run its simulation from the start of the time whenever it's called. So, it's advisable to set ON only at discrete times in the sequencer: that is, set ON in one frame and OFF the next frame. Here is an example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16qIl3wDbwIiytdyFv4VaBo9qqFvLiZrU/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for this explanation!

DUDU said:

Are you referring to the FluidS modifier?, or the source emitter?

It's the Fluid Source (or sink).

DUDU said:

1 Kb per .ply file is generally no geometry at all.

For sure! But I've tried with a value of 6 and without hight precision and it's OK now (Should it be a default value?)

May I see the scene?

DUDU said:

No, this scene is unrecoverable, I'm working on a new one.

What happens?, Is it locked?

Sometimes is the FluidS modifier that must be reenable to get it to update the number of files in the folder. Or if the first simulation is longer than the second, the FluidS modifier reads too the files not replaced (it can be manually deleted).

I always delete manually the .ply files before a new simulation to avoid this problem, is it another place to edit (log file)?

I hope we can solve this.

Conclusion: I cannot change the flow rate with any parameters except when I uncheck "Activate" but it's not progressive, it's a clean cut.

A workaround could be a container with an animated hole?

Thanks again!

Post edited by DUDU on

A little tip: I tried to convert as vertex the simulation but that didn't work, then I tried to export an "image" as .obj, I have a .obj and a .mtl file but nothing when I import it into Carrara.

I found a little free program to convert the .PLY files into .obj (and others) and it work fine!

https://www.nchsoftware.com/3dconverter/index.html

edited March 2021

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

Drop that, Dudu! It works only at half, the OBJs loses the spatial positioning!

Better export from Carrara and keep the positioning.

edited March 2021

Alberto said:

Hi Dudu!

DUDU said:

Yes, the force change with the keyframes but not the rate of the flow.

You're right. I have to review the engine to to find out what is going on.

Alberto said:

May I see the scene?

DUDU said:

No, this scene is unrecoverable, I'm working on a new one.

Sorry !

DUDU said:

I always delete manually the .ply files before a new simulation to avoid this problem, is it another place to edit (log file)?

No, it's the only one. There is an autosave but it doesn't activate unless you ask "Continue saved state". 

DUDU said:

A workaround could be a container with an animated hole?

Yes, it'll work fine.

But an easier solution is to block the source itself with an invisible mesh. Move the blocker at some velocity over the source and this will be closed slowly.

This is a simple example: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NbeGeDZiDl2b8qHZUbu89CLsZxJRxDjf

DUDU said:

Thanks again!

You're welcome!

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    Selina said:

FLUIDOS - Now with Viscosity...

What follows is a series of tests to show the values involved in getting good results with Fluidos - Thanks to Alberto for all his hard work!

Key to general info:

1. CS: - Cell Size
    2. LS: - Level of Subdivision
    3. FC: - Force
    4. VT: - Viscosity
    5. HP: - Higher Precision

CS: 0.500
    LS: 2
    FC: -32z
    VT: 0.00
    HP: No

VT: 0.10
    HP: Yes

VT: 0.50

VT: 0.50 animated to 1.00

CS: 0.250
    VT: 0.01

VT: 0.10

VT: 1.00

VT: 2.00

FC: -64z
    VT: 2.00

VT: 4.00

VT: 25.00

VT: 100.00

Also, you may or may not realise the potential but here's a short video where I exported the fluidos shape and created a new show for the camera to pan around it - great for modelling liquids don't you think?

Happy Fluidosing!

Selina

The last one made me go "Ewwww..." lol

I haven't had much success yet, but I want todo ab bigb waterfall. Any pointers?

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

I'm happy today because I finally got Fluidos to work for me  - BY ACCIDENT !!!

Had another problem with python27.dll that was in my windows 64 bit systemfolder as it was supposed to be. When I copied it to the Windows 32 bit system  folder the problem went away - much to my surprise Fluidos worked after that too.smileylaughyes

Thanks to all the people who tried to help solve my problem. Now to see if I can  make some nice fluid !

My first attempt at making a waterfall --and first time using fluidos -- i used a source or sink. it geysered waaayyy up into space, past the limits of the fluid domain.

i failed. next...

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    0oseven said:

I'm happy today because I finally got Fluidos to work for me  - BY ACCIDENT !!!

Had another problem with python27.dll that was in my windows 64 bit systemfolder as it was supposed to be. When I copied it to the Windows 32 bit system  folder the problem went away - much to my surprise Fluidos worked after that too.smileylaughyes

Thanks to all the people who tried to help solve my problem. Now to see if I can  make some nice fluid !

Glad you sorted it out, that and the "other problem" wink.

Yes, in windows 64 bits, the "System32" directory is for 64 bits DLLs and the SysWoW64 directory for the 32 bits DLL. I confess the logic is not obvious to me, but Microsoft certainly did it as a feature laugh.

edited March 2021

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I know it's not using Fluidos, but I shared a particle based waterfall (and fairy dust!) a while ago:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/87117/browse/5/3D-Model/Carrara-Particle-Effects-Waterfall-and-Fairy-Dus

To do it in Fluidos, I'd use a source at the top and a sink at the bottom or have a pool at the bottom.

My first attempt at making a waterfall --and first time using fluidos -- i used a source or sink. it geysered waaayyy up into space, past the limits of the fluid domain.

i failed. next...

It's as PhilW said. I recommend to use a low velocity for the source. (I used 1.00 for mine)

This is a skinny waterfall. 

https://alvin-bemar.deviantart.com/art/Veils-Falls-new-version-744998534

An animated version:

Do i need to have two Source or Sink objects in the scene -- one serving as a sourcs, one as a sink?

Do i need to have two Source or Sink objects in the scene -- one serving as a sourcs, one as a sink?

Yes.

The sink isn't indispensable, but the simulation is faster if the fluid don't accumulate in the domain. And it avoids floods (unless you want one).

That kind of is what I'm trying for. The water comes down and rushes sway downstream.

Will this overwrite my .ply files? it's kinda tough having to delete them after every test.

Will this overwrite my .ply files? it's kinda tough having to delete them after every test.

Yes, the plugin overwrites the .ply files. It's no necessary to manually delete them (except if you shorten the number of frames of the simulation).

Coolio!

i have a problem. I think there's a ghost in Carrara. My fluid domains keep moving by themselves.

Hot point stays at 0,0,0; object goes flying off somewhere.

edited May 2018

Coolio!

i have a problem. I think there's a ghost in Carrara. My fluid domains keep moving by themselves.

Hot point stays at 0,0,0; object goes flying off somewhere.

Do you mean the fluid domains with the FluidS modifier applied?, these acts as visualizers of the simulation. Their bounding boxes follow the geometry of the result, so they normally move.

On the other hand, there is the main Fluid Domain, the one used to run the simulation. A FluidS modifier mustn't be applied to this one.

Post edited by Alberto on