Victoria 6 has been released.

Comments

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Wow. Although I'm using 4.5, it was interesting to see the slider called "Weight" right after Voluptuous. You move that sucker and you have a sumo wrestler.

A sumo wrestler??? Now Vicky is finally, SLOOOWLY starting to make a bit of sense :D ;P!

Back to reality, I'm a declared Genesis user. A wise person advised me to get morph packages and resource kits as soon as possible, so I can tell the difference between V4/5, A3/4/5, M4/5, H3/4/5, S4/5 and so on. Still, Genesis is what lets me have a giant gorilla nursing a Tarzan tot and Anubis on a leash just by using a single figure. At first, I was very curious to see V6, but then... Disappointment came. Poses are okay, but they are what I need least (surprisingly, I have very little problems with creating different poses myself, which is strange as I consider myself a beginner). In fact, I only take real interest in Garden Party Dress (https://www.daz3d.com/garden-party-dress), Udane Hair (https://www.daz3d.com/udane-hair) and that Morph Bundle (http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/genesis-2-female-morphs-bundle). The dress, because it looks like it can be morphed from the ugly, "sexy" oh-my-I-went-to-the-office-in-my-tot's-pyjamas dress to a ballgown (I'm totally not into voluptous renders or whatever). The hair, because it looks both hippie and fantasy, so it can be adapted to medieval settings. As I work upon fantasy a lot (not only in DS, I wrote a thesis on fantasy genre, for instance), I search for such stuff. And morphs to create custom characters (Scott-Livingston, I'm eternally grateful for letting me into your contest!!!).

I wonder why there's V6, but The Kids are still Generation 4. There's not even a single Genesis-driven mermaid too.

• edited December 1969

Is there a way to tell by looking at the jpg of a texture if it is V4 or V5 because I know some of the Genesis skins really are V4. I tried comparing the images in the V4 and Genesis folder for one of the characters I have, but at least looking at them they look the same so I'm assuming they have the same UVs?

Also has anyone tried the new clothes fitting thing in Poser Pro 2014 to see how it works with V4/Gen1 clothes to Gen2? What about Gen2 clothes to Gen1 (in DS too)?

Thinking I'm going to go the route of just the morphs and get the skin converter for V4. I assume there will probably be clothes coming for Gen2 that are PC items so I will just wait. Love the one hair though.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Easiest is to check what the 'UV Mapping' parameter in the surface is set to after applying your Genesis skin to a Genesis figure. If it says anything other than "Victoria 5", it won't work. If it's a V4 skin, you can make it work with MallenLane's addon for G2F. If it's for any of the other Genesis UVs, then it won't work at all.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to tell by looking at the jpg of a texture if it is V4 or V5 because I know some of the Genesis skins really are V4. I tried comparing the images in the V4 and Genesis folder for one of the characters I have, but at least looking at them they look the same so I'm assuming they have the same UVs?

Also has anyone tried the new clothes fitting thing in Poser Pro 2014 to see how it works with V4/Gen1 clothes to Gen2? What about Gen2 clothes to Gen1 (in DS too)?

Thinking I'm going to go the route of just the morphs and get the skin converter for V4. I assume there will probably be clothes coming for Gen2 that are PC items so I will just wait. Love the one hair though.

In DS you can tell what texture set they are by looking in the surfaces tab. There is a property for UV set. it's toward the bottom usually.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2013

cwichura said:
    If it's for any of the other Genesis UVs, then it won't work at all.

That is pretty bad. I guess it's good most of my textures are V4. But it just goes to show having a million UV sets for females didn't work out so well. (for the end user)

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

4 more years! 4 more years! 4 more years!
    - Victoria 4

• BorgBoy7BorgBoy7 Posts: 102
    edited December 1969

As far as I can tell Genesis 2 will be a free model as always in DAZ Studio. The problem so far is the early release of Generation 6 characters before the release of Genesis 2 itself. I just can't see buying a new Victoria morph and not getting to use her right away. Is this the future of DAZ models, new Genesis releases every year and updates to all previous clothes props and morphs? That means more money out of my pocket to buy some things twice or more as the years go by. That gets expensive! No, that get even more expensive for those of us that still choose to buy models at DAZ.

On a side note, has anyone noticed how many sales there have been running year to date. They are almost near constant to drive spending up, and the sales aren't always that great. They are also dependent upon you buying one thing at a higher price (While on sale) to to get a lower percentage off on other models (Usually on DAZ originals only). Don't get me wrong, I like the DAZ community and the Store content but it seems to be going just too fast or in the wrong direction for me. I've already started getting picky about what I'm buying. If it's a genesis update to a past product I tend to not want to buy it. I like the idea of genesis but not how it has been applied.

In short I would recommend waiting to buy Victoria 6 at least until Genesis 2 has been released or updated.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

BorgBoy7 said:
    As far as I can tell Genesis 2 will be a free model as always in DAZ Studio. The problem so far is the early release of Generation 6 characters before the release of Genesis 2 itself. I just can't see buying a new Victoria morph and not getting to use her right away. Is this the future of DAZ models, new Genesis releases every year and updates to all previous clothes props and morphs? That means more money out of my pocket to buy some things twice or more as the years go by. That gets expensive! No, that get even more expensive for those of us that still choose to buy models at DAZ.

On a side note, has anyone noticed how many sales there have been running year to date. They are almost near constant to drive spending up, and the sales aren't always that great. They are also dependent upon you buying one thing at a higher price (While on sale) to to get a lower percentage off on other models (Usually on DAZ originals only). Don't get me wrong, I like the DAZ community and the Store content but it seems to be going just too fast or in the wrong direction for me. I've already started getting picky about what I'm buying. If it's a genesis update to a past product I tend to not want to buy it. I like the idea of genesis but not how it has been applied.

In short I would recommend waiting to buy Victoria 6 at least until Genesis 2 has been released or updated.

Genesis 2 is in your product library, ready to download and install. Genesis 2 female starter essentials.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited June 2013

BorgBoy7 said:
    As far as I can tell Genesis 2 will be a free model as always in DAZ Studio. The problem so far is the early release of Generation 6 characters before the release of Genesis 2 itself. I just can't see buying a new Victoria morph and not getting to use her right away.
    I don't know if you know but Genesis 2 now is gender-split (by some reason) figure. Female part (Genesis 2 Female, sort of basic) is added for free to your account.

On a side note, has anyone noticed how many sales there have been running year to date. They are almost near constant to drive spending up, and the sales aren't always that great.

Personally, those sales - along with release of V6 that feels (at my opinion) extremely rushed, - have an echo of desperation for me.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,197
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    51% off is right for 30% intro plus 30% PC, and 58% off would be yesterday's 40% PC carrying over to today possibly

Then I must have missed something, because when I checked in yesterday (22.00 GMT) it wasn't for sale.
    Ah, whatever, I just bought her.

There was an extra 10% on the Platinum Club discount for DAZ Originals yesterday - it's possible that it ran on into today. I have sent a query in to DAZ and if I get a definite answer I will let you know, but for now I think it probably was the end of the additional PC discount that you saw.

I'm afraid the 51% discount is correct - those who bought at 58% off enjoyed an unintended bonus.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

For those looking for Genesis 2 Female, it should already be in your account, if you have DAZ Studio in your account. Just open up Install Manager and it should already be there. (Or you can do it the hard way if you prefer and use the Product Library from the "my account" page.)

Mine didn't show up until I visited the account page and clicked on the button....

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Well that's just dandy and not at all fair to other buyers Richard. I'm afraid mistakes like these put an unfair disadvantage on people who didn't buy yet. Daz really should pick up the ball when this mistake is made, and honor it for at least the rest of the day! Very shabby. I'm sure Daz lost several sales with this. :(

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:

On a side note, has anyone noticed how many sales there have been running year to date. They are almost near constant to drive spending up, and the sales aren't always that great.

Personally, those sales - along with release of V6 that feels (at my opinion) extremely rushed, - have an echo of desperation for me.

I guess all those sales since April have been to shift all the genesis content out of the way to make way for Gen 2. Having all these sales is great but you can't retain new users without proper documentation. I've bumped into a couple of people who picked up DS because it was free then quickly dropped it because it was such a pain to learn - they weren't fond of trial and error, trawling the forums or watching youtube vids.

V6 is pretty and all but it doesn't really add anything for me and I don't really have disposable income to waste. Not when Gen 5 is fine for my needs.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited June 2013

edited

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited June 2013

Can someone explain this again?:

Why would a new user should pick Genesis 2 over Genesis?
    Or why me as a Genesis user would spend on Genesis 2 and the content needed to get (some of) the basic functionality of the original Genesis?

I mean, I can see the big disadvantages of Genesis 2 compared to the original Genesis, but what does it offers to compensate for them? I’m still missing it and the thread got long.

Post edited by Hellboy on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

Or why me as a Genesis user would spend on Genesis 2 and the content needed to get (some of) the basic functionality of the original Genesis?

I mean, I can see the big disadvantages of Genesis 2 compared to the original Genesis, but what does it offers to compensate for them? I’m still missing it and the thread got long.

Yes, i'm kind of wondering this too. It would be helpful if Daz was more proactive in explaining what makes the single-gendered Genesis 2 better for users? Other than the given being able to make clothes that specifically fit a female shape.... but considering most of people aren't really looking forward to buying an all new wardrobe, that's not the biggest selling point.

Will SickleYield's improved autofit templates work on Genesis 2?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Here is a thread from the creator of Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24152/

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    JOdel said:
    Well. I admit that I like the base figure. But I am not convinced that I *need* the base figure.

I sure don't need any of her outfits. I swear, there isn't anything *whatsoever* in the pro pack that I like, at all, other than the pose sets. Well, okay, I don't hate the hair. But I've already got plenty of hair models.

Sorry DAZ. Not this time. Or not now, anyway.

that's kinda exactly what I thought when I was checking out the pro bundle.
    I don't do contemporary outfits so that horrible skimpy dress is out - i LOVE fantasy outfits but i refuse to buy the ones that come with stiletto heels or pants that stop at the knee so you're limited to what flat boots you can swap the stiletto ones out with - i like one of the hairs but i already have one that is extremely similar to it, and to be honest, the poses are the ONLY thing I'd be interested in.

I think i will be passing on the bundles completely, and possibly just picking up the base figure and those two morph packs (why aren't they included in the bundles? are they required to be able to use new characters???).

And I can't quite work out what the Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female product does - is it required if you want to put your V4 skins on V6? Does it mean you can use V4 characters on V6 without using GenX?

Agreed. When I saw that Fantasy outfit, I was saying to myself, "Please don't come with high heels." But then I was very disappointed to see...it came with high heels. And I also don't like outfits that come down only to the knee.

I think DAZ needed to put more thought into Genesis 2 before release. I went ahead and downloaded my free copy of Genesis 2 Female. I liked what little I saw but because of the apparent "gender" split, I don't think I'll be investing much in the Generation 6 figures.

• HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Here is a thread from the creator of Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24152/

Thank you!!

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited June 2013

I still don't see a good answer to Hellboy's question.
    Genesis 2 can't morph into anything else than female. Has less morphs as of it now. Can't use V4 textures and clothes without additional purchase. If you aren't a big fan of manual transfers, all morphs or morph utilities like Gen-X will have to be bought again - for female only - and while V4 and M4 iconic shapes were together priced $20 no sale, new V4 alone costs $15 and add somewhat improved level of functionality that was in original Genesis at the first place. Meaning that M4 will cost another $15 if it would ever even appear.

I'm not personally seeing G2F bending noticeably better/more realistically or have noticeably better new UVs. Separate toes are nice feature but there are no pose controls for them (and none in hands either) and Genesis already can do it with Zev0 morphs. I don't see either how G2F is affected by supposedly gender-specific weight-mapping in a such degree that it would justify a gender-split of figures or can't be repeated with original Genesis. Expressions are more drastic, but again, not very believable, IMHO (just as Genesis expressions were - I'm yet to see expressions on any DAZ3D figures that can amaze me but this is my personal preference).

As for making "gender specific" clothes as a benefit... judging from V4 catalog on Renderosity in last two years it will be mostly skimwear. From experience of previous years I don't see how "gender-specific" outfits would benefit people who prefer to render non-females.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • chsmo69chsmo69 Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

We now know the DAZ plan to devolve Genesis 2 into separate gender models. I like the upside to this decision, but the so-called trade-offs are hard to stomach at the moment and I'm not even sure I believe the excuses we're given for this move.

My biggest concern is this- Will DAZ itself (not the PAs) continue to support Genesis 1 into the future? I'm talking about Genesis Essentials. Will future Studio versions support the "old" Genesis and continue to update the Essentials along with their New and Improved G2 models?

My "early adopter syndrome" has made me very cynical and I'd bet a stack of cash that support for Genesis 1 will end as soon as DAZ has worked out the kinks in G2. And when the inevitable Studio update comes that doesn't support that old G1 model... then the fat lady will sing for our friend and all those shapes and morphs in our library.

Before anybody says "Hey! DAZ wouldn't do that to us!"... go read the first sentence of this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24152/

MallenLane (PA responsible for Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female) states she created the V4-to-G2 item because "It wasn't going to exist otherwise"... In other words... Daz had no near term plans to add V4 compatibility into G2.

Once the male G2 version comes out and once the kinks have been reduced, do you honestly believe G1 Essentials will get the updates needed to work in Studio 5.0?

So yes... the clock on Genesis 1 is ticking.

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

I got to like Genesis (slowly) specifically because of it's extreme versatility in morphing options, my only problem with it was the severely reduced functionality in other platforms, like Poser, and Cararra (I haven't tried to see if it will import to Vue via the poser bridge). I tend to jump around program wise. For me, the poser platform (cr2/pp2/pz3) is highly versatile, I can use that in Poser, Daz, Cararra and Vue. DSON files don't cut it, even in C8.5 they are clunky as hell.

G2, seems to have taken yet another step backwards...same dysfunctions as Genesis plus a few more, but even less versatile. I'm lucky I managed to snag V6 pro bundle at the PC discount price, otherwise, this would have been no sale. On a positive note, I do like her overall look, the morphs are good, she renders well, but she's less backwards compatible than G1 is. So, hoping Rawart re-releases his creature morphs with updated textures, and GenX V2. I'm sure there's a slew of the exact same clothing bundles as we've bought before being re-released for V6.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

I'm happy for the gender-specific models. A lot of stuff built for the androgynous figure of Genesis just looked ridiculous on pronounced male or female [or both] forms because of mesh distortions. Now stuff built for female shapes should look nice in a wide range of female shapes, and the same goes for the males.

It does mean, unfortunately, that outfits which aren't really gender-aligned probably won't work out of the box on both figures, but I'm betting autofit between Genesis 2 female and male shapes will be close to spot on. I would have preferred to see DAZ simply introduce a way for outfits to be built for a certain morphed shape and tagged as such, so they would follow from that shape to base Genesis/the other gender/what have you, but this is cool.

I'm mostly sad that it's now going to be difficult to mix morphs. Genesis was amazingly fun for visualization in that you could spin dials for a nice male figure, then trade out whatever base male shape(s) were used for the female variants, and get a passable alternate universe variant/family member, and vice versa, plus even more possibilities when adding in creature shapes. I'll still use Genesis for such things, but the new joint improvements look nice enough I would have loved to see them turn up there.

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited June 2013

One of the major things that attracted me to Genesis was the ability of the figure to change into men, women, children, teenagers, monsters, aliens and even a Gorilla. Genesis provided a LOT of options. One mesh, one figure, no need to buy new clothes for multiple figures anymore. YAY!

Now that DAZ has released Genesis 2 along with Victoria 6, that's no longer the case. Now they will no longer have Genesis capable of changing into a man, woman, child, monster, alien, etc, in one mesh. Now, Genesis 2 will be two completely different meshes. One male, one female. Apparently, Genesis 1 can make men who are "good enough" but not "entirely" accurate. Really? REALLY?! You mean my Michael 5, David 5, Freak 5 DON'T look 100% completely MALE?! Bullcrap. They sure LOOK 100% male to me.

So, why exactly is Genesis 2 now going to have a gender split? So the vendors can make more accurate clothes for both males and females. So THEY can have an easier time. While that's understandable, it's also completely unnecessary. In the past, females got more clothing than men. I'm sorry, but I don't want to go back to spending money on one clothing set for a guy and wishing I could put it on one of my female characters or vise versa or wishing there was a female version of it! That was the great thing about Genesis, I didn't have to worry about that anymore. I could now avoid many headaches. Not so anymore with "Genesis 2"

Generation X, by Dimension Theory, will eventually get an update because the Vendor said it himself on these forums. Old morphs from Generation 3, 4 and 5 will be able to transfer over to Genesis 2. I'm reasonably certain that male morphs will then be able to be injected into Genesis 2 "female" and Female morphs injected into Genesis 2 "male". All this for a "close & good enough" look? As much I love Dimension Theory and his revolutionary GenX plugin, it remains to be seen wheather this will change my mind about "Genesis 2".

For now, the original Genesis is FAR more versatile, FAR more powerful and most definitely NOT worth the DOWNGRADE to Genesis 2.

Sorry, DAZ, but your not getting a dime from me until you give me a VERY good reason to buy into the new "Genesis 2 Gender Split" you've got going on. Don't need the headaches I had in the past.

Genesis2.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 210K
    Post edited by Knight22179 on
  • GigabeatGigabeat Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

Well I took the plunge and will play with G2V6 tonight. I'm a sucker for a sale and there were some great content. However I really don't like that there will be a separate male / female versions. That seems like a huge step backwards. Genesis 1 was revolutionary. Actually awesome in my opinion. What can be sweeter that dressing DAZ Gorilla in V4 tutu. Love it. So I really hope Daz doesn't break Genesis into separate parts.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

I don't think anyone is supposed to pick Genesis 2 over Genesis. As I see it, Gen2 is just a new figure, just as Victoria 4 was, Michael 4 was, Genesis was. There is room for both Geneses in the runtime. I do think a new name should have been chosen, as someone else mentioned earlier in this huge thread. This Gen2 is not Genesis. She does not look like Genesis Basic Female, nor the androgenous Genesis him/herself. It's another character to add to the arsenal that will, I presume, eventually have Aiko, Stephanie, Julie and other female shapes added. It's not often that I want to mix Aiko with Michael, so the gender split does not bother me. I wasn't following the forum during the V4 and M4 era, when you could suddenly dial V4 into A4, S4, Girl4, She-Freak4, etc. Was there a big fuss then, too? And, as I recall, you had to buy a unimesh fit package to make most of the older clothes fit universally. Same thing is happening here, but we've all become spoiled with the one mesh fits all idea.

As for the missing "basic child" morph, maybe there is a reason for that we have not thought ahead to... like new child figures, separate male and female, to go with their respective Gen2 bases.

Since Genesis 2 is a different mesh, with more polygons, there is no way to make all of our Genesis morphs transfer over to Genesis 2, even with Kattey's very clever method. We can approximate, much the way GenX does with Generation 4 figures to Genesis, but it will never be exactly the same. And if you try to move 1000 head polygons with a morph that was designed to only move 650, it isn't going to work especially since those polygons (vertices, actually) are not in the same 3d space. We should be no more upset that Genesis morphs don't work on Genesis 2 than we should be that they don't work on Aiko 3 or Stephanie 4 or Jasmin and Mavka (non Genesis versions).

And autofit is really not that bad. Come on. Shoes, yes, horrible (though some do transfer ok), but most of the clothes don't transfer any worse than they did with Autofit from Gen4 to Genesis.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to dissuade anyone from being angry or feeling "duped" for spending money on Genesis, only to now have Genesis 2 with nothing beyond base functionality. Fact is, I don't regret anything I've spent on Genesis because I still have Genesis. And I don't see vendor support going away anytime soon for such a fantastic figure. I have a product I am working on for Genesis that I just tried out on Genesis 2 and it works very well. It won't take much for me to add functionality to the product for Genesis 2. I think the same might hold true for other vendors, so maybe we give it a little time and see what they decide to do as far as compatibility and updates or upgrades. I just think it's a little too early to start lighting the torches.

I do, however, think it was inconsiderate of DAZ to hold off announcing that they were even working on another generation of Genesis, so that we, the buying community, could decide whether to spend money now on the multitude of sales and great deals, or wait and spend our money on Genesis 2/Victoria 6. Personally, I rarely ever use my V5 and had I know about V6, I would have waited and bought her instead, new Genesis 2 mesh and all. Why do I need/want 4 Victorias? I don't. I don't even want that many Michaels or Aikos. Well, maybe the Aikos because they have changed greatly over generations. Older Mikes and Vickies are kind of ugly now when you see them next to Gen4 and Gen5. But I have them anyway so that they are available should I need them for content creation. But ideally, I want one Vicky, one Mike, one Hiro, etc. Genesis let me have one figure and still get all the cool difference between each generation of characters without cluttering my runtime or my Figures folder. Love that. Genesis 2 will do the same, but maybe better. Love that, too.

I really like Genesis 2, but she will always be number 2 to me.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

This just in... DAZ releases G2F/V6..... Stock Market drops 350 points

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Well said Slosh!

I have thousands of products for Genesis and Gen 4, and they're not going anywhere. And before I upgrade to DS 4.6, I am making a copy to a hard drive of version 4.5. I'll be able to play for eternity (well not quite) regardless of what future versions come out and work with what. If I have v4.5 and Genesis/Gen 4s, 3's- I'm a happy camper! And unless people are millionaires and bought everything from all these different sites, there is more than enough content still left to buy for Genesis, Gen 4! Vendors aren't stupid, they know there are thousands of people using those models, so why on earth would they jump ship and stop creating clothes and stuff for Genesis/M4/V4? That is not logical IMO.

I feel sorry for newbies- this is going to be SO confusing for them.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Barubary said:
    ...It'll be interesting to see just how many content creators jump on the gen6-wagon and how many stay with gen5. Imagine a world where Genesis gets half the support of what (little) it does now and Genesis 2 the other half...

I suspect this will be the case actually, per my previous posts. I also pointed out why this isn't necessarily a bad thing in the same posts.

I did search the forum for your posts, but I can't really find anything related to this. If you have the extra time, maybe you could explain to me how splitting a very small amount of content between two figures in going benefit either of them in the long run. I honestly don't get it.