Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@mollytabby  Yes, I only do Iray now. So anything you see is Iray. And yes, I can see the film star in her looks. Very chic and elegant.

@fishtales   Amazingly awesome. Hope the cattle move away from any steel fenceposts, with that lightning coming!

@sueya   Aldo has really nice character lines, I agree it's nice to have some weathered folks in our gene pool. His hands really add to the render, makes me wonder if he is concentrating hard, doesn't want to be bothered, or what else is going on. Thanks for showing him!

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Thank you @Novica, I'll add Fairy Haven to my wishlist.

My studio has crashed two times when I started rendering Chinese Courtyard. Anyone else having this problem? I haven't EVER had my studio crash when doing a render, and it has happened twice. I don't have anything else running, and only two tabs open which are static pages. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

Mine usually crashes when it runs out of memory. Some of the new sets are very big with memory expensive textures which destabilize studio and cause crashing.

My computer has tons of memory, so when you say the studio runs out of memory, what does that mean? I took all my content and put it on an external drive, so yep, I have plenty of memory. Is studio memory different than computer memory? (Duh.) 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Novica said:

My studio has crashed two times when I started rendering Chinese Courtyard. Anyone else having this problem? I haven't EVER had my studio crash when doing a render, and it has happened twice. I don't have anything else running, and only two tabs open which are static pages. 

I've actually had this happen 3 times in the last week.  Once with just a character in the scene, no hair, clothing etc. straight base character, not even make up.  The other two are fairly memory intensive however, I have rendered them before and my new laptop has a handy little tab that shows my memory usage for both cpu and gpu.  Not maxed out in any way.  I'm also having issues with several saved scene that I have rendered before all of a sudden crashing and no matter what item I remove, or even if I remove most of the items, it crashes.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

The log file will tell you what causes the crash, if you know how to read it. (I don't). Sometimes these big sets, push your computers memory and GPU to the maximum. I'm not sure why. I have 40 GB of ram, and a videocard with 8 gigs, and I find nowadays, studio will run out of memory, and crash...

I never had these issues before, but newer files are much bigger and somehow the systems aren't coping nearly as well at rendering them as we once were able to do.

I'm not sure if that is your issue- but its mine. I can turn on GPU rendering, but it takes a lot longer. So I usually deal with the sporadic crash. Often these crashes seem to be related to certain HDRI. I find some HDRI, are just too much for my computer- I can't tell if this is the case for you though.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    Novica said:

Funny you should mention this. Last week I had several crashes after doing an Iray render and then starting a second one. Several different scenes. Something I haven't had happen in quite some time. I wondered if this was something that came with all the recent essential upgrades. I did go ahead and upgraded my GPU drivers and it seems to have gone away.

Fishtales said:

Thought I might need some cow herd images so made up a billboard as a filler. There are three in this image.

Awesome! That's a great use of billboards.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
    jakiblue said:

I'm a bit confused by what you are saying - are you saying that you don't have an "unzipper" for windows? So you can't unzip a manually downloaded file? 

there are a few free "unzippers" for windows available -  i have "winrar" which is free, and also "7-zip" which is also free, although I use Winrar the most. It works on .rar files as well as .zip files. Don't pay for an "unzipper". 

Also, don't unzip directly into your DS file structure - always unzip into a dummy folder and then manually cut'n'paste the folders over, so you can know exactly where something goes, and fix a folder name if you need to. 

I still don't know how to add content without DIM. On my Mac, for Poser, I just click on the zip file to unzip the folder, redo the folders, remove vendor names, etc... then drop the whole folder onto an app that places everything correctly into Poser. But with DS, I don't know how to "extract" zips into the library. I thought it was a Windows thing, but even in Windows I tried control clicking and everything else and have not figured out how to "extract" a zip into a folder. When I Googled it, I found a page for "WinZip." Do you have to purchase that to install content into Daz if you don't use DIM? I'm obviously not a Windows person and only use it for DS, everything else I do on my Mac.

When I click on a zip file, (in Windows 8) it opens so you can see what's inside but you can't use the files until you copy them to somewhere else. I'm afraid to move or change anything in DS because it might screw it up. In Windows you can move a folder on top of another folder and it will merge, but on a Mac it overwrites the other folder. So I've been manually opening each file and having to look where each item goes and put in each one manually (from other stores) which is a PITA. But I keep seeing instructions to "extract" the zip file into your studio library and the only way I see to do that is by purchasing WinZip... I do have a product that is supposed to put everything (from other stores) into DIM to install them, https://www.daz3d.com/content-package-assist,  but haven't tried it yet and it doesn't work on a Mac. I work both on a PC and Mac and I have separate external hard drives for each so I have to download and install everything twice.

jakiblue said:

i have no drinking poses. I need drinking wine, drinking beer, drinking coffee poses. I spent about three quarters of an hour trying to get a wine glass in V7's hand and then another half hour trying to make it look like she was drinking from it...utter fail on all counts. 

I would seriously buy hand poses for drinking that match maclean's awesome "everyday drinks". I would buy them now. 

For me there is a lack of everyday kinda poses. I do have a fondness for couples poses of both genders but usually the female ones are overdone with the spinal sway they look deformed. I have a real hard time with those. Fortunately pas like feral fey doesn’t do that.

I have recently begun to think there are a lack of food and eating poses. There are restaurant poses but nothing with say... chopsticks and a character putting noodles in their mouth. There isn’t any food on a fork either or eating pizza or popping the tab of a beer or coke, or drinking from a sports drink or toweling ones foruead off...etc,

With chairs I tend to adjust the x and y scale a lot. I haven’t done many though, I shall have to try. I

I do like poses of characters in bed and have done about half a dozen and will likely do more. 

I also really like playful poses. 

I can no longer use the modeling poses flexing. Poses or like the ones where the character is posing and then the set reverses. I have dozens of those.

V4 has a forearm side/side dial that is missing in the Genesis models. I don't know why they removed this, it makes it so much harder to pose the arms! It drives me crazy! Is there a way to add a side/side function???

Yeah, just turn off limits/unlock the side-side rotation.

Wait, what? I didn't know you could do that! I'm rendering something right now, but will check soon. What body part do I turn limits off of though? Forearm bend?

Forearm Bend Z Rotate.

Is there a way to turn limits off the whole character?

Right click on figure root in the scene tab, do Select Children. Then Edit>Figure>Limits>Limits Off (Rotation) and Edit>Figure>Lock>Unlock Selected Node(s) Pose.

And people's arms do move side to side, why is it a hidden function? 

Because in real life, your forearm moves side to side by rotating your upper arm, the same way DAZ figures are set up. Your forearm is actually locked very firmly in place and shouldn't be able to move side-side without your upper arm doing it.

Thanks! I was able to turn limits off the whole character but could not find a Forearm Bend Z Rotate. I looked everywhere, clicked unhide, checked parameters, couldn't find it anywhere! 

One of the main reasons I am so aggressive in keeping my custom categories updated is the fact that the file structure drives me bat s*** crazy.  I literally cannot work with it like that.  I was spending so much time finding stuff I never had time to actually do anything.  Doing the custom categories is the only thing that allowed me to save my sanity.  I only have to find things once, then its put into a place that makes sense to be and I know exactly where to look for it.  Need a medieval room?  Its under building and scenes/fantasy medieval, interiors.  Need a sleek modern dress for genesis 2?  Its under people/Genesis 2/ Female/Clothing/Dresses/Modern.  Its a major pain to put together (I just got a new laptop and decided to do the custom categories from scratch and clean things up a bit instead of copying over from the pc) especially if you have a lot of stuff, the new laptop conversion is on week three as far as getting the categories done, but its worth the effort as far as I'm concerned.  And I am still pissed off about them taking away the blue bars to find new stuff.  I can't find the old stuff most of the time, much less the new content!

How do you do that in DS? I have my Poser files organized perfectly but have no idea how to do that in Daz, I usually use the smart pane because my content pane just lists everything by alphabetical letters. I don't even know where people are finding "character" to list their first G3 characters. I just have a list of folders with numbers, then letters, but everything is listed, not separated out as characters or whatever...

You can do it jsut like you did in Poser, at least that is how I did it. From the content folder you can create new folders. For example, under Genesis 2 Female I have the clothing folder and then in there I have it all broken down into sub catagories like pants, dresses, shoes, sports wear, ect ... It jsut takes a bit to keep up when you buy stuff. I download everything to a seperate folder and remove all the vanity folders then add it to my main content folder so I can keep everything orginized.

I hope that helps you out. 

I still don't know how to add content without DIM. On my Mac, for Poser, I just click on the zip file to unzip the folder, redo the folders, remove vendor names, etc... then drop the whole folder onto an app that places everything correctly into Poser. But with DS, I don't know how to "extract" zips into the library. I thought it was a Windows thing, but even in Windows I tried control clicking and everything else and have not figured out how to "extract" a zip into a folder. When I Googled it, I found a page for "WinZip." Do you have to purchase that to install content into Daz if you don't use DIM? I'm obviously not a Windows person and only use it for DS, everything else I do on my Mac.

Oh boy ... my wife is the MAC user, but I can certainly help you with the windowsx portion of that since you are running DS on a windows emulator it sounds like. I am at work right now (+10 hours on your time zone right now) I can take some screen shots to help you out and make a brief tutorial if you like? Do you have a DA account? if so you can note me at shadowhawkone and I can stash the iamges for this ... if not we can do it over the PM's here if you prefer. Unless no one has an issue of me posting it here. 

No, I have separate Mac and Windows machines...  OMG, I just found the extract option on Windows! I don't know how I missed it! Now I still have to figure out a way to get stuff into DS on my Mac...

I use a Mac..  Download from Manual Download -- it will take you to a page where you just click on the DOWNLOAD button.  That should download a zip file to the Downloads folder on your Mac.  It should unzip automatically using the Archive Utility that comes with OS X.  The zip file then goes to the trash and you're left with the unzipped files to install.  From there it is a mater of going to your Daz libaray and dropping the folders into the right place in the heirarchy.  

But that takes forever, going to each folder one at a time and into subfolders... You can't drop a folder on another without it overwriting it. There should be a way to extract everything at once into their correct folders on a Mac... I use DIM for Daz products and have an app specifically for Poser for Poser items but no way to do it with DS items into DS (from other stores.) 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260

One of the main reasons I am so aggressive in keeping my custom categories updated is the fact that the file structure drives me bat s*** crazy.  I literally cannot work with it like that.  I was spending so much time finding stuff I never had time to actually do anything.  Doing the custom categories is the only thing that allowed me to save my sanity.  I only have to find things once, then its put into a place that makes sense to be and I know exactly where to look for it.  Need a medieval room?  Its under building and scenes/fantasy medieval, interiors.  Need a sleek modern dress for genesis 2?  Its under people/Genesis 2/ Female/Clothing/Dresses/Modern.  Its a major pain to put together (I just got a new laptop and decided to do the custom categories from scratch and clean things up a bit instead of copying over from the pc) especially if you have a lot of stuff, the new laptop conversion is on week three as far as getting the categories done, but its worth the effort as far as I'm concerned.  And I am still pissed off about them taking away the blue bars to find new stuff.  I can't find the old stuff most of the time, much less the new content!

How do you do that in DS? I have my Poser files organized perfectly but have no idea how to do that in Daz, I usually use the smart pane because my content pane just lists everything by alphabetical letters. I don't even know where people are finding "character" to list their first G3 characters. I just have a list of folders with numbers, then letters, but everything is listed, not separated out as characters or whatever...

You can do it jsut like you did in Poser, at least that is how I did it. From the content folder you can create new folders. For example, under Genesis 2 Female I have the clothing folder and then in there I have it all broken down into sub catagories like pants, dresses, shoes, sports wear, ect ... It jsut takes a bit to keep up when you buy stuff. I download everything to a seperate folder and remove all the vanity folders then add it to my main content folder so I can keep everything orginized.

Oh boy ... my wife is the MAC user, but I can certainly help you with the windowsx portion of that since you are running DS on a windows emulator it sounds like. I am at work right now (+10 hours on your time zone right now) I can take some screen shots to help you out and make a brief tutorial if you like? Do you have a DA account? if so you can note me at shadowhawkone and I can stash the iamges for this ... if not we can do it over the PM's here if you prefer. Unless no one has an issue of me posting it here. 

No, I have separate Mac and Windows machines...  OMG, I just found the extract option on Windows! I don't know how I missed it! Now I still have to figure out a way to get stuff into DS on my Mac...

There's a free version of stuffit expander for Mac

Novica said:

Grimwood Manor

@rgcincy  I'm getting ready to run errands, but I'll check out the other cameras that are presets and render them for you. Might as well, they can render while I'm busy doing other things. I'll add them to this post, but once I have the other one (or more) done, I'll post and remind everyone to pop back here if there are other posts in-between. 

Someone posted it was snowing where they are. It's 77 degrees here and climbing. Ugh, and the humidity kicked in. Yesterday was in the 70's but it was very pleasant, low humidity. Glad I worked out in the garage then! 

EDIT  OMGosh you're going to love this next one. It's by the house, shooting up past a broken down wagon. It's awesome! The moon is behind the steeple and gorgeous. One thing I would change is having the trunk of the tree somewhat aligning with the vertical line of the mansion. You'll see when I post this. Will be a few hours, headed out the door. Edit: Here it is. Started another one and out the door.

Again click to enlarge and click again. Look at the detail of the brick lining up on that top turret. The bricks coming around line up perfectly with the other bricks. Kudos! 

Here you go with camera 3 (these are the defaults. Easy smeezy setups!)  Again, it appears dark here because the image is big. Click then click again to see the details. Doing camera 4 now. (Last one.) 

Wow! Looks amazing! Another thing to add to my wishlist...

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited April 2018
    Novica said:

My computer has tons of memory, so when you say the studio runs out of memory, what does that mean? I took all my content and put it on an external drive, so yep, I have plenty of memory. Is studio memory different than computer memory? (Duh.) 

Geeks don't call hard drives "memory" even though technically, they are a form of memory. Unfortunately, they often just say "memory" when speaking of either the RAM on a video card, or the system RAM. Think of your drives as long term storage, and RAM as short term. If you have a video card, it will have some video RAM. If you have an Nvidia card and are running Iray, the card's memory will be used for all the information for the scene to render unless the information needs more room than you have on the card. In that case, the video card gets bypassed and the CPU does all the work. Your scene information will be put on system RAM instead. Either way, when the render is complete and you've saved the image, the information gets removed from RAM.

Some programs have trouble removing all the information from system RAM. When that happens, it's called a memory leak. Imagine your system memory is mason jar. It will hold only so much and then there is no more room. Now imagine one third of the jar is filled with small pebbles. (That's your Windows computer Page File, memory you cannot access even if it isn't actually in use!) Now imagine DS needs 1/3 of that jar to run. But when you close an image and open another one, instead of using 1/3 of the jar, DS is now using 1/2. Close the image and open another one, and now DS is using 2/3. It's like adding water to your jar, and then pouring out what you can without losing the pebbles. There's going to be some water left in the jar. Except every time DS "empties the jar" it leaves even more behind. At some point, DS needs more room than the jar can provide and it crashes.

This is a very simplistic explanation and the techies can blow holes all through it. But it should help you to understand to some extent what it means for Daz Studio to "run out of memory" and crash.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

Funny you should mention this. Last week I had several crashes after doing an Iray render and then starting a second one. Several different scenes. Something I haven't had happen in quite some time. I wondered if this was something that came with all the recent essential upgrades. I did go ahead and upgraded my GPU drivers and it seems to have gone away.

What version Drivers are you using? (I'm always reluctant to change drivers when the one I have is working. I've updated and had things stop working correctly and then had to go back to the previous driver.)

Novica said:

For Shiney. 

Click, click again. These are dark here.

Read the Read Me to see what is included, it's very impressive.

Gorgeous renders and a perfect memorial for Shiney. So sad she had to die but it seems she was happy and pampered till the end...

Fishtales said:

Thought I might need some cow herd images so made up a billboard as a filler. There are three in this image.

Settling the Herds

2018-04-03 10:45:39.406 Total Rendering Time: 8 minutes 26.33 seconds

Click on image for full size.

Wow! Amazing! How did you make your own billboard???

Does that extract to a directory of folders? Macs are able to open zips natively.

edited April 2018

This is a test render of Elliandra. I usually love Mousso's girls but this looks more like a doll than a person. The nose is way too chiseled and the lips are very fake looking. I'm surprised coming from Mousso! I rarely use characters as is, so hopefully when mixed in with other characters, she won't look as bad... (The eyelashes were from Josie because hers were barely visible.) 

elliandra sopkia hair sunday afternoon top cu 02.png
    800 x 1067 - 2M
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

@Novica, I recently put a ticket in for the exact same issue - system crashed a few times in a row just when I hit "render."  I put in a ticket, and these were the instructions I was given, in case they help you.  I didn't follow them, as I've had no other crashes, but I saved them just in case.

From Daz:

One possible solution is to clear the DS and DSON cache.

By default, they are located here:
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp
    and
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\dson\cache

If you can not see your AppData folder, type %appdata% in the Start menu and Windows will open the hidden folder.

Simply delete the files in these folders.
    This article may also be of some assistance:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/23049988-trouble-shooting-render-crashes-in-daz-studio-4-5

Please let me know your results.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

jakiblue said:

i have no drinking poses. I need drinking wine, drinking beer, drinking coffee poses. I spent about three quarters of an hour trying to get a wine glass in V7's hand and then another half hour trying to make it look like she was drinking from it...utter fail on all counts. 

I would seriously buy hand poses for drinking that match maclean's awesome "everyday drinks". I would buy them now. 

For me there is a lack of everyday kinda poses. I do have a fondness for couples poses of both genders but usually the female ones are overdone with the spinal sway they look deformed. I have a real hard time with those. Fortunately pas like feral fey doesn’t do that.

I have recently begun to think there are a lack of food and eating poses. There are restaurant poses but nothing with say... chopsticks and a character putting noodles in their mouth. There isn’t any food on a fork either or eating pizza or popping the tab of a beer or coke, or drinking from a sports drink or toweling ones foruead off...etc,

With chairs I tend to adjust the x and y scale a lot. I haven’t done many though, I shall have to try. I

I do like poses of characters in bed and have done about half a dozen and will likely do more. 

I also really like playful poses. 

I can no longer use the modeling poses flexing. Poses or like the ones where the character is posing and then the set reverses. I have dozens of those.

V4 has a forearm side/side dial that is missing in the Genesis models. I don't know why they removed this, it makes it so much harder to pose the arms! It drives me crazy! Is there a way to add a side/side function???

Yeah, just turn off limits/unlock the side-side rotation.

Wait, what? I didn't know you could do that! I'm rendering something right now, but will check soon. What body part do I turn limits off of though? Forearm bend?

Forearm Bend Z Rotate.

Is there a way to turn limits off the whole character?

Right click on figure root in the scene tab, do Select Children. Then Edit>Figure>Limits>Limits Off (Rotation) and Edit>Figure>Lock>Unlock Selected Node(s) Pose.

And people's arms do move side to side, why is it a hidden function? 

Because in real life, your forearm moves side to side by rotating your upper arm, the same way DAZ figures are set up. Your forearm is actually locked very firmly in place and shouldn't be able to move side-side without your upper arm doing it.

Thanks! I was able to turn limits off the whole character but could not find a Forearm Bend Z Rotate. I looked everywhere, clicked unhide, checked parameters, couldn't find it anywhere! 

That's super weird, I see it just fine with no hidden parameters.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited April 2018

@Novica, I recently put a ticket in for the exact same issue - system crashed a few times in a row just when I hit "render."  I put in a ticket, and these were the instructions I was given, in case they help you.  I didn't follow them, as I've had no other crashes, but I saved them just in case.

From Daz:

One possible solution is to clear the DS and DSON cache.

By default, they are located here:
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp
    and
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\dson\cache

If you can not see your AppData folder, type %appdata% in the Start menu and Windows will open the hidden folder.

Simply delete the files in these folders.
    This article may also be of some assistance:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/23049988-trouble-shooting-render-crashes-in-daz-studio-4-5

Please let me know your results.

Slightly relevant tip: you can jump directly to AppData\Roaming by typing %AppData% into your Start search bar (or into Run).

Post edited by agent unawares on
    L'Adair said:

What version Drivers are you using? (I'm always reluctant to change drivers when the one I have is working. I've updated and had things stop working correctly and then had to go back to the previous driver.)

I don't upgrade my drivers either until I need to (usually a game or Daz starts acting funny or someone mentions in the forums you need to). I was using a driver from last fall (November timeframe I think). The new one is 391.35 which came out March 23rd. So far it's been running fine.

RGcincy said:
    L'Adair said:

I don't upgrade my drivers either until I need to (usually a game or Daz starts acting funny or someone mentions in the forums you need to). I was using a driver from last fall (November timeframe I think). The new one is 391.35 which came out March 23rd. So far it's been running fine.

Thank you. I've been having some issues lately, so I think I'll give that driver a try.

• cismiccismic Posts: 629
    Novica said:

When studio crashes for me it's something with the video cards' then I check drivers and yup nVidia with another driver update. And, Dforce...A lot. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,126
    edited April 2018

I'm very happy with the flexibility of the new PC+ product Wild Wind Hair for Genesis 8 Female(s). It has LOTS of morphs and even has bones for posing the hair. I didn't purchase the colors addon pack, because I heard it had missing file(s). I may pick it up sometime in the future, or just use hair shaders I already own. I played around with the morphs and bones and came up with several different looks.

Charlotte 8 Alexandra 8 NYE shirt pants Wild Wind Hair.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 2M
    Charlotte 8 Alexandra 8 NYE shirt pants Wild Wind Hair_001.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 2M
    Charlotte 8 Alexandra 8 NYE shirt pants Wild Wind Hair_002.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 2M
    Charlotte 8 Alexandra 8 NYE shirt pants Wild Wind Hair_003.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,255
    jakiblue said:

I'm a bit confused by what you are saying - are you saying that you don't have an "unzipper" for windows? So you can't unzip a manually downloaded file? 

there are a few free "unzippers" for windows available -  i have "winrar" which is free, and also "7-zip" which is also free, although I use Winrar the most. It works on .rar files as well as .zip files. Don't pay for an "unzipper". 

Also, don't unzip directly into your DS file structure - always unzip into a dummy folder and then manually cut'n'paste the folders over, so you can know exactly where something goes, and fix a folder name if you need to. 

When I click on a zip file, (in Windows 8) it opens so you can see what's inside but you can't use the files until you copy them to somewhere else. I'm afraid to move or change anything in DS because it might screw it up. In Windows you can move a folder on top of another folder and it will merge, but on a Mac it overwrites the other folder. So I've been manually opening each file and having to look where each item goes and put in each one manually (from other stores) which is a PITA. But I keep seeing instructions to "extract" the zip file into your studio library and the only way I see to do that is by purchasing WinZip... I do have a product that is supposed to put everything (from other stores) into DIM to install them, https://www.daz3d.com/content-package-assist,  but haven't tried it yet and it doesn't work on a Mac. I work both on a PC and Mac and I have separate external hard drives for each so I have to download and install everything twice.

On a Mac in Sierra and High Sierra: Merge two folders with the same name. If you have two folders with identical names at two different locations, you can merge them into a single folder. Press and hold the Option key, then drag one folder to the location that contains a folder with the same name. In the dialog that appears, click Merge.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260

Does that extract to a directory of folders? Macs are able to open zips natively.

If I remember correctly you can tell it where to extract to

This discussion has been closed.