Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited March 2018

I purchased the black leather jacket without realising what it was! My fault.

It's easy to do a basic rig (and you can always use dForce I suppose) but there is only one black texture and what makes it look so good it that texture.

If you use a simple leather shader it doesn't look good at all.

essai blouson cuir.jpg
    800 x 527 - 270K
    Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

I also want to mention a big yes to @Lyoness for putting the Sorrell character only in the "correct" folder in the Content Library. After we pointed out the problems with the duplicated character thumbnails is some previous products, she said she would try to fix that going forward, and she has! heart

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I like the tire set. I bought it to genderbend... But looks fun. I like poses which include props! smiley

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

I like the tire set. I bought it to genderbend... But looks fun. I like poses which include props! smiley

Yes, it makes it much easier. When a pose set has poses for things like mopping the floor, but doesn't come with a mop, it is harder to find appropriately sized and shaped props to go with the pose. How many sitting poses do you have that don't fit any chairs that you have? I've found that very frustrating.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610
    barbult said:

I also want to mention a big yes to @Lyoness for putting the Sorrell character only in the "correct" folder in the Content Library. After we pointed out the problems with the duplicated character thumbnails is some previous products, she said she would try to fix that going forward, and she has! heart

YES!

I heard you!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@lyoness   heart  You're good at listening and taking care of your customers!  So thanks from me, too.

I also got Sorrell, haven't had time to do anything with today's purchases though. She's lovely!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    barbult said:

Yes, it makes it much easier. When a pose set has poses for things like mopping the floor, but doesn't come with a mop, it is harder to find appropriately sized and shaped props to go with the pose. How many sitting poses do you have that don't fit any chairs that you have? I've found that very frustrating.

And how !!!

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I've got tonnes of sitting poses I never use cos I can't find a chair that fits. Other than using a cube, i can't figure out what to do with them. So I rarely use sitting poses. Or lying poses.  About the only time in recent months I've used a sitting pose was for this image I did for 3darena's gorgeous textures for Lully's poet dforce shirt. I lucked out in that I found that stool.....but cropped the image cos I had to move the stool up off the ground... scaling it just didn't work. I often wonder WHAT chair the vendor is using when they do those poses. 

barbult said:

For me there is a lack of everyday kinda poses. I do have a fondness for couples poses of both genders but usually the female ones are overdone with the spinal sway they look deformed. I have a real hard time with those. Fortunately pas like feral fey doesn’t do that.

I have recently begun to think there are a lack of food and eating poses. There are restaurant poses but nothing with say... chopsticks and a character putting noodles in their mouth. There isn’t any food on a fork either or eating pizza or popping the tab of a beer or coke, or drinking from a sports drink or toweling ones foruead off...etc,

With chairs I tend to adjust the x and y scale a lot. I haven’t done many though, I shall have to try. I

I do like poses of characters in bed and have done about half a dozen and will likely do more. 

I also really like playful poses. 

I can no longer use the modeling poses flexing. Poses or like the ones where the character is posing and then the set reverses. I have dozens of those.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

i have no drinking poses. I need drinking wine, drinking beer, drinking coffee poses. I spent about three quarters of an hour trying to get a wine glass in V7's hand and then another half hour trying to make it look like she was drinking from it...utter fail on all counts. 

I would seriously buy hand poses for drinking that match maclean's awesome "everyday drinks". I would buy them now. 

For me there is a lack of everyday kinda poses. I do have a fondness for couples poses of both genders but usually the female ones are overdone with the spinal sway they look deformed. I have a real hard time with those. Fortunately pas like feral fey doesn’t do that.

I have recently begun to think there are a lack of food and eating poses. There are restaurant poses but nothing with say... chopsticks and a character putting noodles in their mouth. There isn’t any food on a fork either or eating pizza or popping the tab of a beer or coke, or drinking from a sports drink or toweling ones foruead off...etc,

With chairs I tend to adjust the x and y scale a lot. I haven’t done many though, I shall have to try. I

I do like poses of characters in bed and have done about half a dozen and will likely do more. 

I can no longer use the modeling poses flexing. Poses or like the ones where the character is posing and then the set reverses. I have dozens of those.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145
    edited March 2018

I bought and played with FaceOff  which uses LIE overlays to put masks onto your G8F characters.  It is a fun product and has lots of options, but I have a feeling there are never enough options (because its just so fun swapping looks).  One thing that did not work for me was the "remove diffuse overlay," which meant I had to use "undo" when going from one mask to another.  I may put in a ticket in case this is a fixable bug.  Other than that, it is a very fun/enjoyable product.

In the following tests, I used some of the options on Elliandra for G8F.  She is wearing Mystical Hair which has a lot of shaping options and is pretty awesome.  Glad I discovered it in my run time.  

I also tried the product on G8M Kieron who is wearing Commander Hair.  It seems to work fine on G8M, and to the extent there may be slight issues at the hairline or along the edge of the face, it is very easily fixable in photoshop or another photo editing program.

Face off test group 1.jpg
    3000 x 1288 - 3M
    Face off test group 2.jpg
    3000 x 1288 - 3M
    Face off test group 3.jpg
    3000 x 1288 - 2M
    Post edited by Worlds_Edge on
  • MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Oooo...those look like fun @Worlds_edge . I didn't look at that one very closely when it came out. Your renders are really interesting. One to take a second look at I think.

@cismic and @L'Adair , thank you. I probably wouldn't have used Thyme much before, but this 10 G3F challenge is really good. Her promo's show her to be more of a pale and interesting 'almost goth' character, but she would make a great 'girl next door' or fashion model. She's a lot more versitile than I thought. 

I picked up Sorrel and the Tyre poses as well. I too struggle with chair / seated poses. When I try to scale chairs they tend to end up looking out of scale to the model. Now I'm going to watch out for a good set of dungerees or overalls, though I do have lots of jeans.

jakiblue said:

i have no drinking poses. I need drinking wine, drinking beer, drinking coffee poses. I spent about three quarters of an hour trying to get a wine glass in V7's hand and then another half hour trying to make it look like she was drinking from it...utter fail on all counts. 

I have maclean's everyday drinks. If you can show me a picture of what you are looking for pose wise, and for which generation I may be able to cook something up.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261

Vehicle posws are another one of course part of that is sometimes the scale of the vehicle is off

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

Serene and Jaki - These poses might be useful for you, unless you already have them of course :) - https://www.daz3d.com/have-a-drink-on-me-poses  I only used them once if I remember correctly so don't remember how they worked out

edited March 2018

LY Sorrell HD for Genesis 8 Female        Viola Braid for Genesis 8 Female

@worldsedge  thanks for showing all those. Quite the variety!!!

@barbult  I did Sorrell this morning while working on the garage and forgot to post her! I like yours a lot, the camera angle is really neat.

I like the braid, you can select different sections and rotate it, etc. And it's so soft-looking!  The lips are lip color 3, but I added a green-yellow to the base color and changed the glossy to a light yellow. I wanted something a little less pink. There is a very nice variety, it just wasn't what I personally wanted. 

Click to enlarge.

Sorrell Viola Braid.png
    750 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

That's a beautiful render @Novica

@mollytabby   Thanks so much! I've got to head to bed (going on 4am here and I've got a full day tomorrow. Won't be online much.)  And btw, your avatar is a cutie!

I think sorrel is one of the nicest looking females I’ve seen in a while.  I don’t typically comment on female characters since they usually look alike to me, but she has a nice face and old-style movie actress appearance.

• I think sorrel is one of the nicest looking females I’ve seen in a while.  I don’t typically comment on female characters since they usually look alike to me, but she has a nice face and old-style movie actress appearance.

That was my thought - the outfit did immediately suggest a heroine (or villain) from a Hammer film, but she could also be in any number of 60s/early 70s films or TV series.

• cismiccismic Posts: 629
    edited March 2018
    Friends Hanging Out.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 710K
    Post edited by cismic on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713

Not because it's a great image or anything, but yay, my new laptop* can fit two characters and an environment into a scene and barely break a sweat (and Owen is wearing Vinnuth Kriegor, which pretty much brings the desktop to its knees). I'm sure I'll find its limit, but wow!

Old laptop and desktop are both eight years old, upgrading the desktop runs into high prices/unavailability of GPUs, so I started wondering if it's even worth it to upgrade the old beast. Long story short, I now have a shiny new laptop with a 1080 GTX angel

test.png
    995 x 881 - 1M
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

@Novica Sorell looks great, but I love that braid and you're right, it is because it looks soft and touchable.  

@Nath  Congrats on the new laptop, always exciting.

@cismic Nice render.  Love the background and how it blends in with the colors of the characters (whether it is via photoshop or DS lighting).

• cismiccismic Posts: 629

@Novica Sorell looks great, but I love that braid and you're right, it is because it looks soft and touchable.  

@Nath  Congrats on the new laptop, always exciting.

@cismic Nice render.  Love the background and how it blends in with the colors of the characters (whether it is via photoshop or DS lighting).

@Worlds_Edge, this was done entirely in DAZ no external photoshop except for converting *.tiff to *.jpg.  The background is Theory of Light - Energy Flow Iray Lights, HDRIs and Props By: fabiana @ renderosity and I used the heart mesh light from ultra genesis studio lighting. And, I used .20, .20, .20 for white point with saturation at 1.5 and that's about it for the lighting on this image. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    edited April 2018

jakiblue said:

I would seriously buy hand poses for drinking that match maclean's awesome "everyday drinks". I would buy them now. 

V4 has a forearm side/side dial that is missing in the Genesis models. I don't know why they removed this, it makes it so much harder to pose the arms! It drives me crazy! Is there a way to add a side/side function???

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

jakiblue said:

V4 has a forearm side/side dial that is missing in the Genesis models. I don't know why they removed this, it makes it so much harder to pose the arms! It drives me crazy! Is there a way to add a side/side function???

Yeah, just turn off limits/unlock the side-side rotation.

I'm using some of my gift card on two things that may go together, for an exterior and the interior. Check out 

FG Old Cabin (which has an interior too)  and perhaps the Outlaw Hideout  to use as the interior. The windows look similar so I think it would work if you needed indoor and outdoor scenes.

edited April 2018

Mildred for Aiko 8        Linda Ponytail Hair (Gen3/ Gen8)    dForce Eastern Nuance (Gen3/ Gen8) 

I really dislike it when vendors don't separate the eye makeup from the lips for the makeup options. I may not want those dark lips, but want the eyeliner. It's not just a question of using another makeup then darkening the lips, the dark lips one is the only one with that eyeliner.

Mildred has the no brow option for each of the makeups, and a high gloss lip option, and more bump for the lips for closeups. (That's a nice option. Haven't seen that much.)  The light blush option is awesome, it is indeed light and perfect. 

mildredAiko8LindaPonyt EastNuance.png
    750 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

That’s a lovely render of Mildred, and the dress is beautiful. I have her wishlisted, because my budget didn’t stretch to buying her when I bought my Aiko package. I’m hoping to pick her up in a sale some time.

This discussion has been closed.