[Released] IBL Master - Image Based Lighting control for both renderers & a new IBL for 3Delight

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2018
    barbult said:

I know I asked this earlier in the thread but I can't find my question, or an answer if one was given. Will this convert 3DL skies to Iray?  Its a moot point since I already bought it lol, but I would still like to know.

No

Actually it does! Loaded IBLM, loaded a 3DL skydome into the scene, plugged the skydome image into base color of the control sphere and hid the skydome. Rendered in IRay:

3DL skydome IRay render.png
    1200 x 675 - 628K
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited March 2018
    It doesn't convert a 3Delight skydome to an Iray HDRI. In your image, it appears that you are just using a JPEG image in the Iray render settings environment, courtesy of IBL master. With that technique you will get a low contrast washed out look. You will not have the dynamic range of an HDRI.
    Post edited by barbult on
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

Dropping the shading rate  to .20 seems to have fixed it...

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

Yeah, see how bright the clouds are, which indicates there should be a bright sun, but there aren't any bright highlights or dark sharp shadows in the image. This is the downfall of low dynamic range lighting.

You can cheat to "fix" it in Photoshop (or pick your poison) by converting to 32-bit and painting in an appropriately super-bright sun disk in the correct location. The clouds etcetera will still have low dynamic range, but you will at least get your proper shadows and more appropriate highlights/reflections.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    hacsart said:

I have started using IBL master instead of UE2 for car/HDRI renders... its a definite speed improvement.. but....I get these lines in refelctive surfaces?  Any ideas?

Render uses IBL master, plius one stick DAZ distant light.. note the lines on the hood and fender..

That's funny, I just did this the other day, but used only the IBLM with no additional lights.

It was rendered using progressive mode, it would be nice to know your render settings. If not progressive, what was the shading rate? What ray trace depth did you use? Is it possible you had it set too low?

ETA: And another thougth, what is the shader for the car body? Everything looks smooth except for the reflections, is it something like the UberSurface shader and is it possible you had some reflection blur that'd require more samples?

Great render!

hacsart said:

Dropping the shading rate  to .20 seems to have fixed it...

Ok, good!

barbult said:
    It doesn't convert a 3Delight skydome to an Iray HDRI. In your image, it appears that you are just using a JPEG image in the Iray render settings environment, courtesy of IBL master.

Yup, exactly what I did:)

barbult said:
    With that technique you will get a low contrast washed out look. You will not have the dynamic range of an HDRI.

I understand the dynamics thing, consider it a useless piece of advice from a dedicated 3dl userlaugh

Yep.. shading rate makes all the difference.. still lots to learn with this product... love it!

D1F1379E-2BE6-433D-9135-FD8AEE188639.jpeg
    1680 x 1050 - 419K
    hacsart said:

Yep.. shading rate makes all the difference.. still lots to learn with this product... love it!

Allright now you're talkinsmiley, very nice!

Is there a way to increase the shadow effect to make dark, sharp shaodws? Or a better way to control shadows? Sometimes I find its hard to even get good shadows, as the ground plane seems to not catch them..

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    barbult said:

I know I asked this earlier in the thread but I can't find my question, or an answer if one was given. Will this convert 3DL skies to Iray?  Its a moot point since I already bought it lol, but I would still like to know.

No

Thanks!  Its still an incredibly useful script and I am quite happy with it

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    barbult said:

No

Actually it does! Loaded IBLM, loaded a 3DL skydome into the scene, plugged the skydome image into base color of the control sphere and hid the skydome. Rendered in IRay:

This could still be quite useful though depending on the project being worked on.  I quite like how this turned out so its nice to have the option.  Thanks!

hacsart said:

Is there a way to increase the shadow effect to make dark, sharp shaodws? Or a better way to control shadows? Sometimes I find its hard to even get good shadows, as the ground plane seems to not catch them..

Hmm, you can make shadows lighter easily, haven't yet tried to set limits off for shadow strength but it could work. It works for AoA spots and distant lights, I use that quite often. Basically it's up to the dynamics of the HDRI being used, so you should pick a high contrast HDRI for the job. Or use a HDR that only emits indirect light + an AoA distant light or a DS standard light.

Thanks.. will experiment using the AoA lights.....

Hi Parris,

First off. thanks for IBL Master - its a definite keeper. so much to learn though.. My one though and question regards the new shader model you concocted that speeds up 3DL.. Could this shader be applied to a generic 3dL light to improve performance in cases where one does not want to use IBL? Or should one use IBL with apropriate HDRIS as a general approach to scene lighting?

Thanks

Harold

• I found that Iray seems to render faster with IBL Master. Must be the other lighting I've been using slows it down a little.

• SamanthieSamanthie Posts: 308

For 3delight according to the guide there should be an intensity multiplier option under the light tab but for me it isn't there. I only see color and under that intensity.

Samanthie said:

For 3delight according to the guide there should be an intensity multiplier option under the light tab but for me it isn't there. I only see color and under that intensity.

Did you expand the IBLM in the scene tab and select lights? With lights selected you will find the intensity multiplier in parameter pane

Hi Sven, This is what I see even if I go to lights in the lights tab. I have installed it both manually and through DIM same result. 

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited April 2018

I'm thinking you didn't get the complete download. I think I had to install it through DIM. You should have 7 files in Content Library.

IBLMasterFiles.jpg
    569 x 677 - 86K
    Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited April 2018

You should be seeing these settings and more for the light...

IBLMasterExpanded.jpg
    310 x 844 - 75K
    Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on

You should be seeing these settings and more for the light...

Thanks, I am going to go check my downloads. I installed it manually then noticed missing options and installed it through DIM. I guess I should try and uninstall it and reinstall it again. 

• ParrisParris Posts: 392
    hacsart said:

Hi Parris,

First off. thanks for IBL Master - its a definite keeper. so much to learn though.. My one though and question regards the new shader model you concocted that speeds up 3DL.. Could this shader be applied to a generic 3dL light to improve performance in cases where one does not want to use IBL? Or should one use IBL with apropriate HDRIS as a general approach to scene lighting?

Thanks

Harold

Good Questions, Harold. Thank you for bringing them to this thread.

Can it make other lights faster?: Technically IBL Master doesn't speed up 3DL in general. It just calculates image based light much faster than older 3DL IBL shaders. So no, I'm afraid it can't be applied to another light type and it won't improve the rendering speed of other lights.

Should one generally use IBL (pretty much always)?: I think it depends on your objective. If you're after something more artistic in terms of lighting and you aren't particularly concerned about being physically accurate, then a 3 point light setup may serve you well and be faster than an IBL render. On the other hand, if you want your renders to be more believable, then yes you need IBL.

Think about it this way: In traditional art, drawing what you see transcends many methods/styles. So even in impressionist work, the artist may capture the complexities of bounced light. To do the same in a render, you either need to set up a complex lighting array (which could take a render guru all day to set up), or you need some form of global illumination. IBL is faster to setup and renders faster than an adequate lighting array (hundreds of lights), and it renders faster than full blown global illumination.

There are two downloads in my product library. The first one will download with DIM but the 2nd one (IBL Master for Daz Studio (2of2) will not open at all in DIM. So downloaded it manually yesterday. The hierarchy for the folder is DAZ Studio/scripts/shaders. I don't have a folder named Daz Studio, mine content folder is.. My Daz Studio Library . It must be how I am placing this folder manually. Where do I place the folder? I think that may solve the problem..hopefully. Thanks!

edited April 2018

Samanthie,

DIM should be installing both, and I'm at a loss to understand why it isn't doing that for you. But the default location for the scripts and shaders folders on a PC should be where DS is installed, specifically C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\. Also be sure that you have at least the minimum supported version of Daz Studio, which is 4.10.0.113.

Post edited by Parris on
    Parris said:

Samanthie,

DIM should be installing both, and I'm at a loss to understand why it isn't doing that for you. But the default location for the scripts and shaders folders on a PC should be where DS is installed, specifically C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\. Also be sure that you have at least the minimum supported version of Daz Studio, which is 4.10.0.113.

Thank you that's what I was doing wrong. I placed the folder following your path and all the options are there now.

edited April 2018
    Samanthie said:
    Parris said:

Samanthie,

Thank you that's what I was doing wrong. I placed the folder following your path and all the options are there now.

yes You're welcome. FYI: The most complete (and easiest to navigate) documentation will always be here: https://www.chrisparrishdesign.com/ibl-master/

You can find the FAQ that was compiled from questions in this forum at the bottom of the page.

Of course this should not discount the fact that Sven Dullah, Kevin Sanderson, and others have been tremendously helpful. My thanks to all. That said, I just recently discovered 22 new comments, as I had stopped getting notified by the system. Seems like Sven has been working overtime in my absence. Way to go!

Post edited by Parris on
    Parris said:
    Samanthie said:
    Parris said:

Samanthie,

yes You're welcome. FYI: The most complete (and easiest to navigate) documentation will always be here: https://www.chrisparrishdesign.com/ibl-master/

You can find the FAQ that was compiled from questions in this forum at the bottom of the page.

Of course this should not discount the fact that Sven Dullah, Kevin Sanderson, and others have been tremendously helpful. My thanks to all. That said, I just recently discovered 22 new comments, as I had stopped getting notified by the system. Seems like Sven has been working overtime in my absence. Way to go!

Bookmarked, thank you for your help and for this product. I am learning about boost lights now and I love that they do what they are supposed to do. For ex I needed a boost of light from the right and turned it on and adjusted intensity and it does what I'd hoped. No other added lights in the scene so far. yes yes

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I guess there will be a few more buyers for this product as it is on sale today. I have just bought it however I'm not convinced that it is helping me with IRay very much. The first thing I notice when loading the IBLMaster is that the OpenGL Preview immediately becomes hyper-bright and high contrast which is not a help but a hinderance. At least, without it, I can see what effect my spotlights have on the scene but now I can't. When I render (IRay - I don't use 3DL these days) it looks the same as before I loaded the IBLMaster so it is just affecting the OpenGL viewport.

Having said that, I have only just installed it and am working through the PDF so there are probably techniques I need to learn.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    marble said:

I guess there will be a few more buyers for this product as it is on sale today. I have just bought it however I'm not convinced that it is helping me with IRay very much. The first thing I notice when loading the IBLMaster is that the OpenGL Preview immediately becomes hyper-bright and high contrast which is not a help but a hinderance. At least, without it, I can see what effect my spotlights have on the scene but now I can't. When I render (IRay - I don't use 3DL these days) it looks the same as before I loaded the IBLMaster so it is just affecting the OpenGL viewport.

Having said that, I have only just installed it and am working through the PDF so there are probably techniques I need to learn.

Ahh .. please ignore the problem I just mentioned. I'll leave it there just in case anyone else is tripped up by the initial lighting but I now see that it loads something called the IBLM Light which I think is only for 3DL renders. I switched that off and all is back to normal.

Sorry for the confusion - as ever, RTFM.