Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

One of the main reasons I am so aggressive in keeping my custom categories updated is the fact that the file structure drives me bat s*** crazy.  I literally cannot work with it like that.  I was spending so much time finding stuff I never had time to actually do anything.  Doing the custom categories is the only thing that allowed me to save my sanity.  I only have to find things once, then its put into a place that makes sense to be and I know exactly where to look for it.  Need a medieval room?  Its under building and scenes/fantasy medieval, interiors.  Need a sleek modern dress for genesis 2?  Its under people/Genesis 2/ Female/Clothing/Dresses/Modern.  Its a major pain to put together (I just got a new laptop and decided to do the custom categories from scratch and clean things up a bit instead of copying over from the pc) especially if you have a lot of stuff, the new laptop conversion is on week three as far as getting the categories done, but its worth the effort as far as I'm concerned.  And I am still pissed off about them taking away the blue bars to find new stuff.  I can't find the old stuff most of the time, much less the new content!

How do you do that in DS? I have my Poser files organized perfectly but have no idea how to do that in Daz, I usually use the smart pane because my content pane just lists everything by alphabetical letters. I don't even know where people are finding "character" to list their first G3 characters. I just have a list of folders with numbers, then letters, but everything is listed, not separated out as characters or whatever...

You can do it jsut like you did in Poser, at least that is how I did it. From the content folder you can create new folders. For example, under Genesis 2 Female I have the clothing folder and then in there I have it all broken down into sub catagories like pants, dresses, shoes, sports wear, ect ... It jsut takes a bit to keep up when you buy stuff. I download everything to a seperate folder and remove all the vanity folders then add it to my main content folder so I can keep everything orginized.

I hope that helps you out. 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    Novica said:

Mildred for Aiko 8        Linda Ponytail Hair (Gen3/ Gen8)    dForce Eastern Nuance (Gen3/ Gen8) 

I really dislike it when vendors don't separate the eye makeup from the lips for the makeup options. I may not want those dark lips, but want the eyeliner. It's not just a question of using another makeup then darkening the lips, the dark lips one is the only one with that eyeliner.

Mildred has the no brow option for each of the makeups, and a high gloss lip option, and more bump for the lips for closeups. (That's a nice option. Haven't seen that much.)  The light blush option is awesome, it is indeed light and perfect. 

As a workround, apply the makeup, select Lips in surfaces, then ctrl-click to select another makeup and pick 'Seleteced' for Surfaces when the dialog appears.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133
    edited April 2018

One of the main reasons I am so aggressive in keeping my custom categories updated is the fact that the file structure drives me bat s*** crazy...

And I am still pissed off about them taking away the blue bars to find new stuff.  I can't find the old stuff most of the time, much less the new content!

@IceDragonArt - Which blue bars do you mean - the blue "New" on the icons? Or was there a way to actualy do a find on new content?

If the former: yesterday I had to reimport some metadata (a couple of products gone missing after product updates in DIM) and I noticed they all got marked "New" on the icons - I'd accidentally clicked the little box in the "reimport metedata" window to Mark as New, so it (sort of) stil exists..

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    MelanieL said:

One of the main reasons I am so aggressive in keeping my custom categories updated is the fact that the file structure drives me bat s*** crazy...

And I am still pissed off about them taking away the blue bars to find new stuff.  I can't find the old stuff most of the time, much less the new content!

@IceDragonArt - Which blue bars do you mean - the blue "New" on the icons? Or was there a way to actualy do a find on new content?

If the former: yesterday I had to reimport some metadata (a couple of products gone missing after product updates in DIM) and I noticed they all got marked "New" on the icons - I'd accidentally clicked the little box in the "reimport metedata" window to Mark as New, so it (sort of) stil exists..

In 4.8 (the version I started with) new content would show up highlighted with a blue bar.  It was very easy to find new content you just followed the blue bars.  No idea why they took it away.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I liked the blue highlight too. Just by opening the Content folder you could see where new content had been added.

edited April 2018

But I'm still getting them if I reimport metadata within DS - that was my point. (In DS 4.10.0.123) So the concept has not entirely gone away, it's just not automically done by DIM.

ETA: Has anyone actually raised a ticket about this? In the DIM .ini file there's an entry that says: MarkInstalledContentAsNew=true but DIM seems to be ignoring this (or it's marking it in a way that DS can no longer recognise). See final attachment.

Reimport.jpg
    285 x 595 - 46K
    Product Marked New.jpg
    455 x 459 - 51K
    All Content Marked New.jpg
    445 x 655 - 60K
    Capture.JPG
    659 x 282 - 41K
    edited April 2018

And I've just done a bit more hunting in DS - this may be the easier way to find your new Content for categorising. In Smart Content, pick All Products (unfiltered) then sort by Installed Date (recent first), pick anything you've recently bought (and want to categorise) then you can mark it and its contents New so you can locate the bits like you always did.

(Edit for typoes)

Manual Mark New.jpg
    659 x 455 - 95K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

It marked the categories blue that had new content not just the icon for the new items so when you opened My Library in Studio there were blue strips.

Ah, you mean in the Categories list in Content Library? (I just opened up my old copy of DS4.6 to see) Looks like that feature died then. What a shame.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    SimonJM said:

As a workround, apply the makeup, select Lips in surfaces, then ctrl-click to select another makeup and pick 'Seleteced' for Surfaces when the dialog appears.

For heavens sake, didn't know that. Probably the only one who didn't. I usually show the characters out of the box so out of habit I don't mess with them. Thanks @SimonJM

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

jakiblue said:

i have no drinking poses. I need drinking wine, drinking beer, drinking coffee poses. I spent about three quarters of an hour trying to get a wine glass in V7's hand and then another half hour trying to make it look like she was drinking from it...utter fail on all counts. 

I would seriously buy hand poses for drinking that match maclean's awesome "everyday drinks". I would buy them now. 

For me there is a lack of everyday kinda poses. I do have a fondness for couples poses of both genders but usually the female ones are overdone with the spinal sway they look deformed. I have a real hard time with those. Fortunately pas like feral fey doesn’t do that.

I have recently begun to think there are a lack of food and eating poses. There are restaurant poses but nothing with say... chopsticks and a character putting noodles in their mouth. There isn’t any food on a fork either or eating pizza or popping the tab of a beer or coke, or drinking from a sports drink or toweling ones foruead off...etc,

With chairs I tend to adjust the x and y scale a lot. I haven’t done many though, I shall have to try. I

I do like poses of characters in bed and have done about half a dozen and will likely do more. 

I also really like playful poses. 

I can no longer use the modeling poses flexing. Poses or like the ones where the character is posing and then the set reverses. I have dozens of those.

V4 has a forearm side/side dial that is missing in the Genesis models. I don't know why they removed this, it makes it so much harder to pose the arms! It drives me crazy! Is there a way to add a side/side function???

Yeah, just turn off limits/unlock the side-side rotation.

Wait, what? I didn't know you could do that! I'm rendering something right now, but will check soon. What body part do I turn limits off of though? Forearm bend? Is there a way to turn limits off the whole character? And people's arms do move side to side, why is it a hidden function? 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

One of the main reasons I am so aggressive in keeping my custom categories updated is the fact that the file structure drives me bat s*** crazy.  I literally cannot work with it like that.  I was spending so much time finding stuff I never had time to actually do anything.  Doing the custom categories is the only thing that allowed me to save my sanity.  I only have to find things once, then its put into a place that makes sense to be and I know exactly where to look for it.  Need a medieval room?  Its under building and scenes/fantasy medieval, interiors.  Need a sleek modern dress for genesis 2?  Its under people/Genesis 2/ Female/Clothing/Dresses/Modern.  Its a major pain to put together (I just got a new laptop and decided to do the custom categories from scratch and clean things up a bit instead of copying over from the pc) especially if you have a lot of stuff, the new laptop conversion is on week three as far as getting the categories done, but its worth the effort as far as I'm concerned.  And I am still pissed off about them taking away the blue bars to find new stuff.  I can't find the old stuff most of the time, much less the new content!

How do you do that in DS? I have my Poser files organized perfectly but have no idea how to do that in Daz, I usually use the smart pane because my content pane just lists everything by alphabetical letters. I don't even know where people are finding "character" to list their first G3 characters. I just have a list of folders with numbers, then letters, but everything is listed, not separated out as characters or whatever...

You can do it jsut like you did in Poser, at least that is how I did it. From the content folder you can create new folders. For example, under Genesis 2 Female I have the clothing folder and then in there I have it all broken down into sub catagories like pants, dresses, shoes, sports wear, ect ... It jsut takes a bit to keep up when you buy stuff. I download everything to a seperate folder and remove all the vanity folders then add it to my main content folder so I can keep everything orginized.

I still don't know how to add content without DIM. On my Mac, for Poser, I just click on the zip file to unzip the folder, redo the folders, remove vendor names, etc... then drop the whole folder onto an app that places everything correctly into Poser. But with DS, I don't know how to "extract" zips into the library. I thought it was a Windows thing, but even in Windows I tried control clicking and everything else and have not figured out how to "extract" a zip into a folder. When I Googled it, I found a page for "WinZip." Do you have to purchase that to install content into Daz if you don't use DIM? I'm obviously not a Windows person and only use it for DS, everything else I do on my Mac.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    Novica said:
    SimonJM said:

For heavens sake, didn't know that. Probably the only one who didn't. I usually show the characters out of the box so out of habit I don't mess with them. Thanks @SimonJM

I said the same thing as you did a while back, and someone pointed out to me too that I could just use a different lip colour on the Lips surface. On the one hand it was such a 'duh' moment, but on the other, the times when I learn something new are among my favourite things about all this. Even if it is something I feel like I should've thought of myself a bit sooner! :)

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited April 2018

jakiblue said:

i have no drinking poses. I need drinking wine, drinking beer, drinking coffee poses. I spent about three quarters of an hour trying to get a wine glass in V7's hand and then another half hour trying to make it look like she was drinking from it...utter fail on all counts. 

I would seriously buy hand poses for drinking that match maclean's awesome "everyday drinks". I would buy them now. 

For me there is a lack of everyday kinda poses. I do have a fondness for couples poses of both genders but usually the female ones are overdone with the spinal sway they look deformed. I have a real hard time with those. Fortunately pas like feral fey doesn’t do that.

I have recently begun to think there are a lack of food and eating poses. There are restaurant poses but nothing with say... chopsticks and a character putting noodles in their mouth. There isn’t any food on a fork either or eating pizza or popping the tab of a beer or coke, or drinking from a sports drink or toweling ones foruead off...etc,

With chairs I tend to adjust the x and y scale a lot. I haven’t done many though, I shall have to try. I

I do like poses of characters in bed and have done about half a dozen and will likely do more. 

I can no longer use the modeling poses flexing. Poses or like the ones where the character is posing and then the set reverses. I have dozens of those.

V4 has a forearm side/side dial that is missing in the Genesis models. I don't know why they removed this, it makes it so much harder to pose the arms! It drives me crazy! Is there a way to add a side/side function???

Wait, what? I didn't know you could do that! I'm rendering something right now, but will check soon. What body part do I turn limits off of though? Forearm bend?

Forearm Bend Z Rotate.

Is there a way to turn limits off the whole character?

Right click on figure root in the scene tab, do Select Children. Then Edit>Figure>Limits>Limits Off (Rotation) and Edit>Figure>Lock>Unlock Selected Node(s) Pose.

And people's arms do move side to side, why is it a hidden function? 

Because in real life, your forearm moves side to side by rotating your upper arm, the same way DAZ figures are set up. Your forearm is actually locked very firmly in place and shouldn't be able to move side-side without your upper arm doing it.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

jakiblue said:

Wait, what? I didn't know you could do that! I'm rendering something right now, but will check soon. What body part do I turn limits off of though? Forearm bend? Is there a way to turn limits off the whole character? And people's arms do move side to side, why is it a hidden function? 

Technically, it's the muscles in our upper arms that control the side-to-side movement.

With the Genesis figures, when you use Twist for the upper arm, it moves the forearm from side-to-side, much like our arms do. There may be technical issues with stuff like JCMs that make moving the forearm this way look more realistic.

As for which parameter to change, it will be the Rotate parameter that hasn't been renamed. You may have to Show Hidden to find it. It may also be locked, or have min-max values set to 0.

@astracadia   My problem too is I don't use something and then completely forget about it. I've had SO many "Heavens sake, I knew that." moments!  The rest of you have to be my babysitters LOL. That's why Art Studio is my favorite forum section. What a fantastic group of regulars. (Even you lurkers. We're so happy to have you stop in on a regular basis.) 

• MelanieL said:

In 4.8 (the version I started with) new content would show up highlighted with a blue bar.  It was very easy to find new content you just followed the blue bars.  No idea why they took it away.

It was done to speed up starting of the application, as I recall. Back then, it actually would check the file system dates to determine what had been installed recently, and that would cause Studio to take up to ten minutes to start on lower end systems.
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    MelanieL said:

It was done to speed up starting of the application, as I recall. Back then, it actually would check the file system dates to determine what had been installed recently, and that would cause Studio to take up to ten minutes to start on lower end systems.

Imagine how long it would take with over 14,000 items

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

Then they could make it an option that you could run when you wanted. Same as I do when I scan 4.8 for 3rd Party or Freebies so I can catagorise them, before exporting it so I can import it into 4.10 beta. If it was in 4.10 had this feature I'd upgrade and it would save me time.

It takes me a lot longer to find my new content than ten minutes.... Just saying... I can spend an hour and half trying to find new stuff especially if its on the Poser side of things.  They don't seem to have a problem introducing plenty of other things that lower end systems can't handle.  Like Iray...

It should at least be an option there a plenty of people who would love to have this back.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I'm a bit confused by what you are saying - are you saying that you don't have an "unzipper" for windows? So you can't unzip a manually downloaded file? 

there are a few free "unzippers" for windows available -  i have "winrar" which is free, and also "7-zip" which is also free, although I use Winrar the most. It works on .rar files as well as .zip files. Don't pay for an "unzipper". 

Also, don't unzip directly into your DS file structure - always unzip into a dummy folder and then manually cut'n'paste the folders over, so you can know exactly where something goes, and fix a folder name if you need to. 

I still don't know how to add content without DIM. On my Mac, for Poser, I just click on the zip file to unzip the folder, redo the folders, remove vendor names, etc... then drop the whole folder onto an app that places everything correctly into Poser. But with DS, I don't know how to "extract" zips into the library. I thought it was a Windows thing, but even in Windows I tried control clicking and everything else and have not figured out how to "extract" a zip into a folder. When I Googled it, I found a page for "WinZip." Do you have to purchase that to install content into Daz if you don't use DIM? I'm obviously not a Windows person and only use it for DS, everything else I do on my Mac.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

A genuine question that I'm asking cos I don't quite understand the need for the "blue bars/lines" for new content - do people want those blue bars because they're not sure where their new content is once it's installed? I think I'm confused because I know how to find my new content so my brain is probably blocking a reason they would be needed :) 

There are 3 ways of finding new content once installed:

If you use DIM, once it's installed, right click on the product and choose "show installed files" (or it says something like that, I havne't used it in so long I can't quite recall). A dialogue box will pop up showing the file paths of where everything went,and the file paths are clickable so you can click on it and it'll open up your folder where it was installed. Then you can see what the folders were called and know exactly where it is. 

If you download manually adn install manually, unzip to a dummy folder (on your desktop or wherever), so you can see exactly what the folders are called, where they are placed and you can change folder names if necessary (IE "!!!?BobSmith_FancyNewProduct" to "G8_BohemianSkirt" - the better to know what the product actually is if that is what you want)  and you can also do things like move the materials and/or hand/foot poses into the main outfit folder so you have them there exactly where they are needed, and you're not scrolling down to "Materials" folder etc. 

If you download and install via Smart Content, sort your products by "Installed First" and click on "All Products" and the new item will be right there at the top. 

If this has got nothing to do with why people want the blue bars, then please forgive me. I always hated those blue stars with 'new' as I found them distracting, so another point of view of why people want them would be greatly received. :)

• It should at least be an option there a plenty of people who would love to have this back.

It is; see attached image.

custom libraries and scan.png
    1920 x 1080 - 466K
  • jakiblue said:

I'm a bit confused by what you are saying - are you saying that you don't have an "unzipper" for windows? So you can't unzip a manually downloaded file? 

there are a few free "unzippers" for windows available -  i have "winrar" which is free, and also "7-zip" which is also free, although I use Winrar the most. It works on .rar files as well as .zip files. Don't pay for an "unzipper". 

Also, don't unzip directly into your DS file structure - always unzip into a dummy folder and then manually cut'n'paste the folders over, so you can know exactly where something goes, and fix a folder name if you need to. 

Windows has it built in for zip files; I usually use 7-zip for everything else. I usually select the zip files, right click and select the extract option, then do what you put in the last part of your post.

It should at least be an option there a plenty of people who would love to have this back.

It is; see attached image.

No, that's not what I'm talking about, The blue bars were on the file names so each line in the content library lit up like a trail of breadcrumbs. So MyDazLibrary would be blue, then People would be blue, then Genesis whatever on down to the new item.  You just follow the bread crumbs basically.   I have to know that I am looking for the retro heroine outfit and where it might be, wheras the blue lines would lead me right to it. Especially useful for Poser files where stuff is spread all over the place and you generally have no idea where it might be.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

Oh boy ... my wife is the MAC user, but I can certainly help you with the windowsx portion of that since you are running DS on a windows emulator it sounds like. I am at work right now (+10 hours on your time zone right now) I can take some screen shots to help you out and make a brief tutorial if you like? Do you have a DA account? if so you can note me at shadowhawkone and I can stash the iamges for this ... if not we can do it over the PM's here if you prefer. Unless no one has an issue of me posting it here. 

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

I use a Mac..  Download from Manual Download -- it will take you to a page where you just click on the DOWNLOAD button.  That should download a zip file to the Downloads folder on your Mac.  It should unzip automatically using the Archive Utility that comes with OS X.  The zip file then goes to the trash and you're left with the unzipped files to install.  From there it is a mater of going to your Daz libaray and dropping the folders into the right place in the heirarchy.  

edited April 2018

Grimwood Manor

Read the product description to get the real feel of what the presets can do. If you're not a lighting pro, you'll appreciate the presets for the individual lights in the house. (And even if you ARE a lighting pro.)  I picked this up for 62% off, paid $9.36. 

Time to render? It's 55% at 11 minutes. 78% at 17 minutes. At 20 minutes, 87%.  It uses instances so for those of you with slower connections, I think you'd be very pleased. 

LOVE that ground and the moody sky.  I don't like the foreground tree's branches- to me, some of the materials aren't going the right way, (the limb jutting out to your right) and that "Y" at top is distracting. A different camera angle may fix the Y. 

This is from one of the preset cameras- so easy to use. 

Obviously, to get rid of the hard line in the background, you can add a few things, but that's how flat lawns look in the distance. There's also a reflective lake (I think) in the background that can be seen when you tilt the camera. 

I did change the settings over to Mitchell from Gaussian, and turned on the noise filter (both found in Render pane, under Editor>Filtering.) Click to enlarge, this is VERY dark.

Grimwood Manor.png
    1000 x 1300 - 3M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited April 2018
    Novica said:

I really like that! Nice mood and the low camera angle adds to it. Added to my wishlist.

Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited April 2018

Grimwood Manor

@rgcincy  I'm getting ready to run errands, but I'll check out the other cameras that are presets and render them for you. Might as well, they can render while I'm busy doing other things. I'll add them to this post, but once I have the other one (or more) done, I'll post and remind everyone to pop back here if there are other posts in-between. 

Someone posted it was snowing where they are. It's 77 degrees here and climbing. Ugh, and the humidity kicked in. Yesterday was in the 70's but it was very pleasant, low humidity. Glad I worked out in the garage then! 

EDIT  OMGosh you're going to love this next one. It's by the house, shooting up past a broken down wagon. It's awesome! The moon is behind the steeple and gorgeous. One thing I would change is having the trunk of the tree somewhat aligning with the vertical line of the mansion. You'll see when I post this. Will be a few hours, headed out the door. Edit: Here it is. Started another one and out the door.

Again click to enlarge and click again. Look at the detail of the brick lining up on that top turret. The bricks coming around line up perfectly with the other bricks. Kudos! 

Here you go with camera 3 (these are the defaults. Easy smeezy setups!)  Again, it appears dark here because the image is big. Click then click again to see the details. Doing camera 4 now. (Last one.) 

Grimwood Manor2.png
    1000 x 1300 - 3M
    Grimwood Manor3.png
    1000 x 1300 - 3M
    Grimwood Manor4.png
    1000 x 1300 - 3M
    Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.