The older generation: Victoria 2/3, Michael 2/3 and their children renders

Comments

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    Redfern said:
    You did a truly amazing job emulating the Cyclops! I've often wished there were a standalone figure for that movie monster and am still kicking myself for not buying a real posable verion of the Cyclops years ago when prices were reasonable.

Are you referring to a series of "action figures" based upon various Harryhausen creatures?  Given they were made and initially sold in the late 90s or early 00s, it's no surprise they are now demanding premium prices.  I never bothered buying any, either, but if I had, I probably would have selected the 6 armed Kali statue and/or the Naga styled Medusa.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Redfern said:
    Redfern said:
    You did a truly amazing job emulating the Cyclops! I've often wished there were a standalone figure for that movie monster and am still kicking myself for not buying a real posable verion of the Cyclops years ago when prices were reasonable.

Are you referring to a series of "action figures" based upon various Harryhausen creatures?  Given they were made and initially sold in the late 90s or early 00s, it's no surprise they are now demanding premium prices.  I never bothered buying any, either, but if I had, I probably would have selected the 6 armed Kali statue and/or the Naga styled Medusa.

Sincerely,

Bill

That's the line I was thinking of. I remembered seeing the Cyclops in person as well as the Medusa, which is my second-favorite Harryhausen monster after the Cyclops. I think they were being sold at Tower Records, which is long-defunct. It was around the era when McFarlane (amongst others) was releasing a lot of highly-articulated action figures intended for collectors. 

I didn't know that Kali was part of that line. That was my favorite scene in Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

I saw "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" when it debuted in theaters, 1973.  I was just 10 at the time, a little too young to understand, but seeing Caroline Munro caused me to experience some "funny feelings".  ;-)  But, yeah, the the Kali statue's dance and sword fight were the most intricate sequences in the film, doubling the number of limbs Ray had to pose.  And, as you probably already know, his role of the villain Koura caught the attention of the BBC, allowing Tom Baker to land the title role in "Doctor Who", arguably one of the most recognized and beloved incarnations!

Concerning that dance sequence, I can imagine "Robot Chicken" spoofing it, having the statue "twerking" and grinding, acting quite tawdry.  Hey, RC has "zinged" other iconic Harryhausen sequences like the Kraken from "Clash of the Titans", so anything is possible.

Sincerely,

Bill

• I first saw most of the Harryhausen films (save for Clash of the Titans) on TV, often in highly edited formats so they would fit neatly in a 90 minute slot. So, oftentimes, they had whole subplots removed.  I did remember Tom Baker being in Golden Voyage, but somehow thought Caroline was in Eye of the Tiger. Memory can play some strange tricks on us! 

Clash of the Titans was something I saw in theaters and I was just as excited to have seen that at as Raiders of the Lost Ark. Along with 7th Voyage, that's the Harryhausen fantasy film that really stands out in my imagination as being amazingly unique. A true genius when it came to creature design and character animation.

• This is a terrific thread, and I hope it keeps going.

Victoria (V1) and The Gremlin head, with a Freak 3/Devourer body.  Rendered in Carrara with no postwork.

V1 is still available here.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited April 2020

Well its been over a year with no pretty pictures so I give you:

Mother Earth

MotherNature.jpg
    600 x 971 - 421K
    Post edited by DollyGirl on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Niiiice! Strange - and nice! I like her!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited April 2020

great thread, I have been loading all my Xurge outfits and have a fair few M3 and V3

generation 3 Xurge outfits.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 691K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Thank you Kerya. I think she is Roxanne with the Aliana texture that was free from DAZ. I was installing a bunch of freebies and paid stuff. AprilYSH's wings from the DAZ magazine, A Bevy of Butterfiles by Rebel3d, horns from the Monster Parts 1 from Traveler, JoeQuick's hair from StreetLVL Justice and a very other things. So she came to be. 

Wendy, I so do like Xurge's stuff. I just reinstalled some of the V3 and M3 sets the other day, but I don't think I have as many as you. Love the wood godess on the far left.

edited April 2020

Because he has an inherantly rugged chin, I reasoned Michael 2 would work well for Ash Williams, the central character of the "Evil Dead" franchise.

Hopefully what "sells" the pieces is the authentic "stump" mounted chainsaw, an XNALara model extracted from a video game I founf at Deviant Art.  Because the "blades" are a series of texture maps rather than geometry, I was able to use PaintShop Pro to create a "blur" effect, both to the texture and the transparency map.  When rendered, it gives the illusion the chain mounted blades are whipping around the length of the blade.

Sincerely,

Bill

M2-Ash-Williams-J-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 95K
    M2-Ash-w-Saw-J-3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 81K
    Post edited by Redfern on
    DollyGirl said:

Thank you Kerya. I think she is Roxanne with the Aliana texture that was free from DAZ. I was installing a bunch of freebies and paid stuff. AprilYSH's wings from the DAZ magazine, A Bevy of Butterfiles by Rebel3d, horns from the Monster Parts 1 from Traveler, JoeQuick's hair from StreetLVL Justice and a very other things. So she came to be. 

Wendy, I so do like Xurge's stuff. I just reinstalled some of the V3 and M3 sets the other day, but I don't think I have as many as you. Love the wood godess on the far left.

yeah she borrowed M4 Woodgod headdress from DAZ instead of a hair wig, they are all bald devil

great thread, I have been loading all my Xurge outfits and have a fair few M3 and V3

Wow - they are looking good!

I do have some Xurge3d stuff, but not as many as you ...

Kerya said:

Wow - they are looking good!

I do have some Xurge3d stuff, but not as many as you ...

then there are the M4 and V4 ones blush

I still only have half of his products devil

Redfern said:

Because he has an inherantly rugged chin, I reasoned Michael 2 would work well for Ash Williams, the central character of the "Evil Dead" franchise.

Hopefully what "sells" the pieces is the authentic "stump" mounted chainsaw, an XNALara model extracted from a video game I founf at Deviant Art.  Because the "blades" are a series of texture maps rather than geometry, I was able to use PaintShop Pro to create a "blur" effect, both to the texture and the transparency map.  When rendered, it gives the illusion the chain mounted blades are whipping around the length of the blade.

Sincerely,

Bill

Scary!!!!!!!!

edited April 2020

Redfern, I like him! Definitaly has a fine jaw for superman as well. Here is a wardrobe promo I did for Rapheal by Kirisute. The character and outfit are free.

Kirisute-Rapheal.png
    500 x 647 - 369K
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,047
    edited April 2020

I played about with Glamorous Vickie3 by Jim Burton (https://www.daz3d.com/glamorous-vicki-set-for-victoria-3-0) in iRay trying to improve the skin shader, and added a model of a double interlocked mobius strip from green glass. May have to do something for SSS, displacement maps and normal maps. However, without any of that she doesn't look too bad.

Its a Mobius Strip, Officer.jpg
    943 x 876 - 78K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on

Very pretty richardandtracy. 

•  Thanks. I really can't get over how much iRay has done to improve these elderly models (looking back, I purchased GV3 in December 2004). If it weren't for the joint limitations - particularly elbows - I could almost be happy to continue using them. Well, maybe. dForce & auto fit are so useful they're almost impossible to live without...

Looks good!

edited April 2020

Another with V3.

Reclining Princess Ardala.jpg
    800 x 450 - 447K

Woooow! Nice one!

edited April 2020

Thought I'd try Glamorous Vicky 3 in Stonemason's Willow Creek. I reckoned it would be interesting to try using dForce hair, and popped in Linday's SLMH,. Strangely enough, auto-fit doesn't work between V3 and G8F hair, so I had to position it and hope in the simulation. Other thing used was a rock by Adam Thwaites.

Anyway, doesn't look too bad, I think.

Regards,

Richard

GV3 on rock R01.png
    1500 x 750 - 3M
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Thought I'd try Glamorous Vicky 3 in Stonemason's Willow Creek. I reckoned it would be interesting to try using dForce hair, and popped in Linday's SLMH,. Strangely enough, auto-fit doesn't work between V3 and G8F hair, so I had to position it and hope in the simulation. Other thing used was a rock by Adam Thwaites.

I think you did an extremely nice job :)   

the older figures to me here look every bit as good as renders using Genesis 8 yes

edited April 2020

I think the best things about G8 are the auto-fit on the clothes & hair and the joint quality. V3 had/has a limited range of joint angles that look OK. Outside that range you need to choose the camera angle to hide the problems. In the image of mine above, the thigh-hip bend problem is starting to be visible if you know what to look for.

However, I have to admit that I think the rendering improvement since 2006 has given these older figures a whole new lease of life.

Regards,

Richard.

Regards,

Richard

I think it looks lovely!

Thanks Kerya for the comment. Richard a lovely composed picture and V3 looks great.

• Thankee kindly for all your comments. Just love the [excuse] opportunity to play with DS! So much more rewarding to get pretty pictures than the 2d monochrome drawings that are the end result of my normal 3d modelling for engineering purposes wink.

• GafftheHorseGafftheHorse Posts: 567
    edited April 2020

Been putting some effort into getting my head round the Awe shaders, and finally getting the knack of good skin conversions.

Mil-3 skins are so much less complex to deal with that later skins, so I've been going through my (albeit small collection of Mil-3 characters)

Shahara is a lovely skin, I only wish I'd a few more old V3 morphs for variety.

And Laura... I only came to Daz end of 2016, so missed my opportunity to get the Mil Young Teens head and body morphs, but luckily, these are two that don't need them (Vivien and Ashlyn - look like thorne girls to me, and no longer available in store now either)

Rendered with scripted 3Delight with Awe Shaders.

GoldenShahara_Shahara_faces_scaled.jpg
    1100 x 550 - 670K
    Laura-Vivien_Ashlyn_scaled.jpg
    1100 x 880 - 971K
    Post edited by GafftheHorse on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Been putting some effort into getting my head round the Awe shaders, and finally getting the knack of good skin conversions.

Mil-3 skins are so much less complex to deal with that later skins, so I've been going through my (albeit small collection of Mil-3 characters)

Shahara is a lovely skin, I only wish I'd a few more old V3 morphs for variety.

And Laura... I only came to Daz end of 2016, so missed my opportunity to get the Mil Young Teens head and body morphs, but luckily, these are two that don't need them (Vivien and Ashlyn - look like thorne girls to me, and no longer available in store now either)

Rendered with scripted 3Delight with Awe Shaders.

Very nice indeedyes