edited March 2018

Comparisons of various Aiko characters.  

Aiko comparisons 1.png
    1200 x 778 - 645K
    Aiko comparisons 2.png
    1200 x 778 - 634K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

It seems like A8 contains more Asian flavour then the previous versions.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    edited March 2018

Shame about the toes, just a quickie render using Aiko 8 with Infinity Cove 3, post-work Topaz Impression. Edit to self - adjust the shadow next time !!!

Aiko 8 -1 TopazImpression 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited March 2018

​You are right, Veronika.

What I like about Aiko 3 is the exaggerated facial feature proportions, the V shaped chin, and the lack of detail in the cheeks and jaw.  The eyes are very large, especially vertically.  Although I like Aiko 8 on its own terms, the Aiko generations have steadily moved away from the niche that Aiko 3 fills.  For me, the Aiko 3 and Aiko 4 characters were not so much about being used for an Asian character as they were for being used for a toon character of any ethnicity.  I like Aiko 8 very much, but to me it fits a different kind of style.

I am probably not explaining myself well, so maybe these examples will demonstrate the different niches that I think of for Aiko 3 and Aiko 8.  I could see Aiko 3 in Josie and the Pussycats, and I could see Aiko 8 in the old Flash Gordon and Dale Arden comics.

In the recent challenge, I referrenced Dan DeCarlo's style, which was used for the Archie comics, Betty and Veronica, and Josie and the Pussycats. These characters have faces with very exaggerated features, especially big eyes for exapressions.  There are important differences from Aiko 3, particularly the chin and mouth, but I could see Aiko 3 in "Josie and the Pussycat" type sci-fi adventures.

I've also expressed my admiration of the old Flash Gordon comics and serials.  Although Flash Gordon and Dale Arden had comic proportions, there was much less exaggeration in their facial features. The vertical distance of the eyes is much less.  I could see Aiko 8 in this type of sci-fi adventure.  My Moxie character is intended to be between Dale Arden and Betty, but closer to Dale Arden.

betty and veronica.jpg
    284 x 400 - 31K
    dale arden 1.jpg
    342 x 374 - 62K
    dale arden 2.jpg
    415 x 500 - 79K
    josie_72original.jpg
    1106 x 1600 - 534K

Very cool render, Bunyip.  Going to have to creatively hide G8F's feet in general.

Bunyip02 said:

Shame about the toes, just a quickie render using Aiko 8 with Infinity Cove 3, post-work Topaz Impression. Edit to self - adjust the shadow next time !!!

edited March 2018

I wonder how a morphed Aiko 3 would cross with Aiko 8 ?, will try in DAZ Studio, if it works I'll try and set the morph up so it can be read by Carrara, I currently have a Hidden Clone morph of Aiko 3 with G8F - Carrara is not picking it up.

Edit - Quick Iray render from DAZ Studio - Aiko 8 100% with Aiko 3 100%

Aiko 8 Aiko 3 cross.png
    500 x 650 - 187K
    Diomede said:

Very cool render, Bunyip.  Going to have to creatively hide G8F's feet in general.

Bunyip02 said:

Thanks Diomede, I angled the front foot down a bit so it looked like her feet were digging into the sand.

Bunyip02 said:

I wonder how a morphed Aiko 3 would cross with Aiko 8 ?, will try in DAZ Studio, if it works I'll try and set the morph up so it can be read by Carrara, I currently have a Hidden Clone morph of Aiko 3 with G8F - Carrara is not picking it up.

Did you make the Aiko 3 for G8F clone yourself?  I did not know there was a clone.

edited March 2018

Tried the Aiko8-Aiko3 morph in Carrara - toes again !!!!!

Aiko8-Aiko3 toes.png
    1918 x 1042 - 465K
    Diomede said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Did you make the Aiko 3 for G8F clone yourself?  I did not know there was a clone.

Made the clone myself following the method by mtl1 https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/193296/freebie-how-to-create-a-v4-clone-and-transfer-other-figures-for-g8f/p1

Great - thanks for that!

Bunyip02 said:
    Diomede said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Made the clone myself following the method by mtl1 https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/193296/freebie-how-to-create-a-v4-clone-and-transfer-other-figures-for-g8f/p1

There is also Redz method that is very similar. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2532336/#Comment_2532336

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I agree that the Aiko range of characters has gradually gone away from the Anime / Manga characters that I think were the original inspiration, to become a more realistic general Asian character. That is not bad for me personally as I tend to like the more realsitic charcters, but a shame in other ways as some of the diverse range has been lost.

edited March 2018

The good news is that it seems just to be a name.  Sakura 8 seems to more closely fill the old Aiko 3/4 role.  In my opinion, it is bad marketing, but I admit I am no marketing expert.  Maybe it is genius to change names.

They seem to have replaced Aiko 3 with Sakura 8.  Exaggerated narrow V-shaped chin, little detail to the cheeks or jaw, big eyes (especially vertically), and spherical crown to the head.  So, if I want to fill the niche occupied by Aiko 3, but use a figure with all the improved bending etc. of G8F, I should avoid Aiko 8 and use Sakura 8.  I suppose the next Freak 8 will be a lean distance runner type figure instead of a muscle-bound bodybuilder.

I do want to emphasize that I like Aiko 8 very much. 

Here is Sakura 8

Sakura 8.jpg
    2400 x 3106 - 2M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

good stuff Diomede - going where no man has gone before

I tried A8 myself. Aiko 8 head, Josie's body. Native render.

Doc5.png
    1300 x 1782 - 1M

Very cute.  They make a good combination.

I like Aiko 8 face but dislike both A7 and A8 bodies: extremely narrow shoulders, short arms, unnatural waist and hips, even for stylized character. Josie's body that I applied here is much prettier for me.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited March 2018
    Vyusur said:

Ted, thank you for the explanation. I will be looking for "hair display" option next time.

Thank you for asking this, VeronikaI had the exact same problem with the display percentage when working with an animal's fur. Must try again!  yes Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited March 2018

Here is a quick render of Ollie 8 mixed with Edward 8 using Misty's G8 Carrara character.  Threw some Carrara hair on him.  Wish the HD morphs worked.

ollie edward mix.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 140K

Beautiful, Ted!

Diomede said:

Here is a quick render of Ollie 8 mixed with Edward 8 using Misty's G8 Carrara character.  Threw some Carrara hair on him.  Wish the HD morphs worked.

Nice work !!!

Thanks, Veronika and Bunyip.  And special thanks to Misty, who made it possible.

I have started a new thread in the Art Studio forum.  I will still keep this "No One Asked Me" thread going for Carrara-specific projects and interests.  However, I will be posting more general stuff over there if anyone ever wants to check it out.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/244076/diomede-s-notepad-sketchpad-and-chilling-pad#latest

I have been poking around with PD Howler.  At some point I hope to broaden my approach to include more 2D.  Hopefully, that point will be sooner rather than later.

Looks good !!!

edited April 2018

Another Plant Modeler Reminder - Using Ramified and Hybrid Tree Shapes

I keep forgetting how to control the advanced tree shapes so I am repeating it here.  In the plant modeler expert tab, the default tree shape is "centered", which has a central vertical trunk.  The options for ramifed and hybrid allow the ability to split the trunk for a more spread tree.  By default, the number of generations of sub branches is very small and does not respond to just increasing the number of generations.  To get the additional generations of sub branches, you also have to go to the tree shape tab, where the drop down menu is disabled.  Increase the ramified threshold to get the additional generations of sub branches.  If the plant modeling room display doesn't show you the changes, check the display to see if it is set to show you all the branches and full detal mesh.

aa01b tree shape hybrid how make sure get more sub branches question.jpg
    1885 x 1016 - 700K
    aa02b number of generations of sub branches is ramified threshold.jpg
    1887 x 1016 - 571K
    edited April 2018

This came up again because I was trying to use the plant modeler to create the trunks and branches for some toon trees.  I converted the tree to an obj and then did a fresh UV map.  I created shader domains for the branches.  That way, can model branches and leaves and then replicate them along the branches.

bb01 toon tree no leaves or sub branches.JPG
    1809 x 768 - 158K
    bb03 tree test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K
    bb02 tree modeled and uv mapped.JPG
    1873 x 857 - 152K
    edited May 2018

T is better than A

Maybe if I used fully rigged custom characters more often, it wouldn't make a difference, but I am finding it much harder to set up and adjust the ball joints and constraints for my most recent custom figure modeled in the A pose than I have for the characters modeled in the T pose.  The joint rotation order (XYZ vs XZY) for elbows and shoulders does make a difference and it is more of a challenge when the X axis is at 45 degrees rather than 90 degrees.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I think if you approach things from a figure perspective then a T pose has advantages. However I think from a clothing perspective - and particularly with dynamic clothing - then an A pose looks better. Take a look at almost any (real life) clothing item when laid out, and it makes an A shape and not a T shape. So particularly the shoulders look wrong if they are modelled in a default T pose. But it can have its complications on the figure, but not insurmountable. 

edited May 2018

Thanks Phil.  You are absolutely correct.  My issue is entirely with rigging the initial figure within Carrara's bone skeleton system, and the troubles that arise in trying to align the joint constraints when the bone is not at 90 degree angles.  Once an acceptable skeleton with non-90 degree angle skeleton exists, it can be copied to a skeleton for associated content, such as clothes.  The shoulders definitely look better in the A pose than the T pose; however, the issue is choosing the joint rotation order (X,Y,Z vs X,Z,Y, for example) for each joint that is not a 90 degrees.  I was just expressing exasperation and frustration for something that I could have finished much more quickly if I had used the T pose.

Bottom line - if you have good reason to use the A pose, then ignore my previous post.