Golden Rules of Composition V1.5 UPDATE Now LIVE.

Comments

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Weebees, Jad :)

And congrats on the modship :cheese:

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank ya Bandit. Your one of few that have even noticed. I'm still just Jad... I think. :cheese:

edited April 2013

Jaderail said:
    Thank ya Bandit. Your one of few that have even noticed. I'm still just Jad... I think. :cheese:

And a good thing that is, too ;-)

I've been ill since Sunday; my temp yesterday was 39.4 :-S Fortunately it's 37.4 today :)

Against the Giant is rendering after lots of tweaking, I hope to share it fairly soon :-P

And this post makes me an active member :cheese:

EDIT: I guess not :lol:

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

251 did, You Active now. Sorry to hear the temp thing feel top notch soon. I'm so wanting to see the final. TY.

edited December 1969

Thanks Jad :cheese:

Had to tweak and it's re-rendering now; I'll let it do that for the rest of the day. While I am feeling better,best not to take things for granted with a presentation tomorrow ;)

edited December 1969

Am pretty happy with this now :)

Against_the_Giant_Mountaintop_forums.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    edited December 1969

And now that I've been given the go ahead...

After JGRS was released I was asked to do promo art :cheese:

Afterworld_Promo_1_Out_of_the_Frying_Pan_forums.png
    2000 x 1600 - 5M
    Afterworld_Promo_1_Figure_Layer.png
    1000 x 800 - 326K
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Beautiful work, banditcameraman -- I especially like the lighting in both of 'em.

I used the Golden Spiral and . . . okay, I forget what the lines are on this one. Finished version's up in my deviantART gallery here.

PCI20130409-GrandmasSwimCap-Composition.jpg
    622 x 776 - 231K
    edited December 1969

Wonderful work you two. Thank you for the images and links.

Silly question time: When I wrap up this DS4.0 version this weekend should I release it as DS4.0 GRv1.5? It has all the updates in it.

edited December 1969

If it has updates v.1.5 doesn't it should be v.2.0 for DS 4.0 :)

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Wonderful work you two. Thank you for the images and links.

Silly question time: When I wrap up this DS4.0 version this weekend should I release it as DS4.0 GRv1.5? It has all the updates in it.

Thanks! And I'd recommend keeping your upgrade designations for both versions congruent, even if it means skipping.

Used RoT again in my latest PCI entry. (Finished version up in my deviantART gallery here).
    PCI20130416-SeekingFire-Composition.jpg
    659 x 821 - 183K
    edited December 1969

Beautiful work, banditcameraman -- I especially like the lighting in both of 'em.

I used the Golden Spiral and . . . okay, I forget what the lines are on this one. Finished version's up in my deviantART gallery here.

Thank you so much, KA :)

The finished version is stunning :-) What postwork did you do, if it's ok to ask :P

edited April 2013

Thank you so much, KA :)

The finished version is stunning :-) What postwork did you do, if it's ok to ask :P
    You're welcome, thanks, and sure! Even through LuxRender I'm usually not satisfied with the sunniness of my outdoor renders, so I'll normally hit them with some version of the steps in my Bright Sunlight Mini-Tutorial (in this case it was one Saturation Overlay layer at 50% opacity and two Contrast Mask layers, one at 100% opacity and the other at 50% opacity). Before that I composited two LuxRender results (single distant light as “sun sky2”, run to almost 500 S/p {overnight}, first one on Auto Linear and the other Linear>Estimate, in GIMP top layer to 50% opacity to restore some washed-out detail, and yes this method sets some of the purists' teeth on edge but I was in a hurry) and a layer-masked 3Delight render at 50% opacity because even with the car's glass material set to glass2 the windshield didn't reflect the fence in LuxRender, I haven't figured out why not yet.

Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

Wow! Thanks for the info, KA :)

I haven't tried for any reflections yet so I won't be much help but will the angle of the fence cause a reflection. A number of times when I was a cameraman we'd have to cheat angles to get something to appear as a reflection :-P

edited December 1969

Wow! Thanks for the info, KA :)

I haven't tried for any reflections yet so I won't be much help but will the angle of the fence cause a reflection. A number of times when I was a cameraman we'd have to cheat angles to get something to appear as a reflection :-P

You're welcome!

Re the reflection, it's the exact same angle in the LuxRender as in the 3Delight render, so that's not the problem. The glass material's Reflection property probably isn't on in the LuxRender, I just haven't figured out why not. If you want to try reflections yourself, DZFire's Real Metals Tutorial explains reflective surfaces in DAZStudio and provides dial-spin recipes. (You can find the old forum topic on this here.) He later worked this data up into an easy-to-use product here.

• tonymousetonymouse Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

This is really awesome, I wish there was an equivalent out there for poser.

edited April 2013

Major Announcement Time and I'm sorry it came to this.

After 8 weeks of trying, that's two months of swapping DS4.0 in and out of my PC, I can not seem to get the DS4.0 version of the Golden Rules to work properly in DS4.0. I am at a loss as to what the issue is. On my Win7 64 bit OS the Mat files used to swap the overlays and the Rotate presets both have problems. For no reason I can find they will just stop functioning at random times and random uses.

I here by offer the community of DS4.0 users, I have let down, my working texture sets and any other help needed if anyone wishes to develop a version that is stable on a system other than mine.

I have Tried people but for me the BUCK Stops here. I need to just move on and stop beating my head on my keyboard.

Jeff.

EDIT: If anybody wants the files just PM me.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Really? Nobody? Um, okay... The offer still stands. Golden Rules is FREE as in do with it as you please. I'm still very NEW at this making items thing and really would love a DS4.0 user to step up and get this out for all DS4.0 users that would like it.

I know the Idea is being ported to another App at this time. But I'll not spoil the fun and say which. I do not think it has gone live yet.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Really? Nobody? Um, okay... The offer still stands. Golden Rules is FREE as in do with it as you please. I'm still very NEW at this making items thing and really would love a DS4.0 user to step up and get this out for all DS4.0 users that would like it.

I know the Idea is being ported to another App at this time. But I'll not spoil the fun and say which. I do not think it has gone live yet.

New app? Really?! Cool!

edited December 1969

Given the strong diagonal lines, Rule of Thirds might not've been the best choice for this one. And I double-focused again. :red: But the main problem with this is the lighting, I'm pretty happy with how the composition came out. Finished version up in my deviantART gallery here.

screenshot.02-05-2013_00_.28_.47_.jpg
    655 x 818 - 168K
    edited December 1969

Rule of Thirds, yet again with the double focus. :red: Finished version up in my deviantART gallery here.

Wizards' Duel: the Bell Toll

screenshot.08-05-2013_01_.55_.02_.jpg
    656 x 819 - 384K
    edited May 2013

KickAir you never fail to amaze me with how you use the GR's. Thank you for your example.

If any care to look at my Prim project so far, still working on it by the way, every image was done using the GR's.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    If any care to look at my Prim project so far, still working on it by the way, every image was done using the GR's.
    Well-composed, if somewhat chilly. :grrr:

KickAir you never fail to amaze me with how you use the GR's. Thank you for your example.

Thanks! In this next one I used the Rule of Thirds grid to improve the vertical composition on a horizontally-centered subject. Final version's up in my dA gallery.
    screenshot.12-05-2013_11_.58_.57_.jpg
    657 x 822 - 429K
    edited December 1969

Not the best screenshot, sorry -- which one is this, Golden Sections? Anyway, finished version up in my deviantART gallery here.

PCI20130514-MidnightSilkDropBucket-Composition.jpg
    656 x 820 - 169K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,107
    edited May 2013

The Golden Rules of Composition are now available for Bryce as well. Jaderail kindly sent me the masks and I created some more. Though the Golden Rules of Composition are available in the store, they are free and are therefore priced at $0.00.

There is no required additional product necessary other than Bryce 7.1 and a program that can play mp4 movies, there are two videos, one by David Brinnen and one by myself, and a reader for pdf documents. Here is the link:

Golden Rules Composition Helpers for Bryce.

Thanks go to Jaderail for the masks and to chohole for making me aware of the Golden Rules of Composition for Studio. Without these two Moderators, there were no Golden Rules for Bryce. And thanks to DAZ 3D for hosting this free product in the store.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Thank you Horo, I'm glad to have helped a little. From what I've seen though not many Bryce artist needed it. WINK.

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much, I can't wait to try these!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Thanks go to Jaderail for the masks and to chohole for making me aware of the Golden Rules of Composition for Studio. Without these two Moderators, there were no Golden Rules for Bryce. And thanks to DAZ 3D for hosting this free product in the store.

Thanks go to you and David for "picking up the banner" and running with it for Bryce. Grabbed it first thing this morning.

@Jaderail - I tend to agree with you, but every tool helps, as the saying goes, especially for Bryce n00bs. ;-)

edited December 1969

Okay, this has Pushed me to shove aside my other projects for a bit (not going to fast anyway) and do a better updated DS4.5 4.6 version. It will include all the Overlays the Bryce version does and the Multi Overlay option as well. And I will update my files and Notes for the Third party that has shown interest in doing a DS4.0 version. With luck all versions should be Full to the Bryce standard when released. Off to the Drawing board so to speak.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Okay, this has Pushed me to shove aside my other projects for a bit (not going to fast anyway) and do a better updated DS4.5 4.6 version. It will include all the Overlays the Bryce version does and the Multi Overlay option as well . . .

Excellent work from all of you! In the meantime I'm plugging away -- below's the composition render of my latest PCI entry, finished version up in my deviantART gallery here.
    PCI20130521-GR.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 225K