Golden Rules of Composition V1.5 UPDATE Now LIVE.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Excellent work from all of you! In the meantime I'm plugging away -- below's the composition render of my latest PCI entry, finished version up in my deviantART gallery here.
    Great Render on DA. Awesome example of the use of the rule. I might have followed the Spiral with the free hand but your pose is perfect for the Line. You understand these better than I do.
  • tonymousetonymouse Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

these are awesome! both for DS and Bryce. Is there any chance of a version for Poser???

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 2013

Jaderail said:
    Excellent work from all of you! In the meantime I'm plugging away -- below's the composition render of my latest PCI entry, finished version up in my deviantART gallery here.
    Great Render on DA. Awesome example of the use of the rule. I might have followed the Spiral with the free hand but your pose is perfect for the Line. You understand these better than I do.
    I wouldn't say I understand these better than you do -- the GR tool is seriously improving my compositions, but that doesn't mean they can't be done even better. In this one the g-triangles lines were my primary guides and I used the g-spiral mainly to help judge the best size for the flower & protective sphere. But given how some elements just happen to be following the spiral? I could've used his free hand to enhance that sweep without detracting much from the lines, you're right. Thanks!
    PCI20130521-GR.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 225K
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

Back to Rule-of-Thirds -- Final version up in my deviantART gallery here.

No Pedestal

PCI20130625-NoPedestal-GR.jpg
    400 x 500 - 68K
  • hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

Hi, Jaderail,

I'm a bit late to the party, but I can't thank you enough for these. I have them available once I get an actual render into Corel Painter, but having it in DAZ makes things SO much easier. I don't have to do hundreds of renders trying to get the composition right (and missing) anymore!!! Now I can do hundreds of renders trying to get the lighting right instead!

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!! :wow:

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

I realize you're busy Jad, being an admin and with a new computer on the way (or has it arrived in which case you'd be even more busy :-P ). Is there any word on the update which allows the user to use 2 overlays in one camera :) ?

edited December 1969

I'm not Fully happy with it Yet. I do have a Working Version on my PC but I'm still setting up the New Controls for both layers. Getting them to Move at once is the Issue right now. I'm trying Different things. But not happy with the Only solution so far.

edited December 1969

Wow that was fast! :bug: :)

Thank you so much for the update, Jad :-P The JGRC tool totally rocks and I always use it :cheese:

edited December 1969

I just happened to be checking the threads when you posted. I seem to have many users I never hear from. It's broken the 600 downloads mark and is still slowly growing in use. I'm only happy so many find it useful.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I seem to have many users I never hear from.
    which is normal
    edited December 1969

It's more than useful; it's dead indispensible when it comes to group shots ;-)

Finally figured out multiple overlays can be added to the same camera :red:

Sisters_Jump_forums.png
    1000 x 562 - 809K
    Sisters_JGRCP_smaller.png
    1000 x 562 - 673K
    edited December 1969

It's more than useful; it's dead indispensible when it comes to group shots ;-)

Nicely done!

My latest PCI entry, I used Golden Triangles. Finished version and products-used list up in my dA gallery here.
    screenshot.30-09-2013_02_.40_.36_.jpg
    680 x 850 - 160K
  • UltraRobUltraRob Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Awesome doesn't cover how great this tool is! Thanks Jaderail! :-) You're amazing!

Rob

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited December 1969

Yeah, i just tried it and it looks really good.

edited December 1969

Thank you. I was not expecting this to be linked to in the New Users contest. I just hope some find it useful.

I'm still fighting a new more user friendly version at this time. But I need to learn more about DAZ Studio scripting before I can finish it.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ...Your Welcome, but this is not my idea. It is just my version of an Item for DS3 that will not work in DS4.5. And mine is free unlike the item that inspired it.

There was an item like this for DS3? Where, pray tell? I'm stuck on DS3 for a while yet.
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ...Your Welcome, but this is not my idea. It is just my version of an Item for DS3 that will not work in DS4.5. And mine is free unlike the item that inspired it.

There was an item like this for DS3? Where, pray tell? I'm stuck on DS3 for a while yet.
    I sent you a PM and a link ...
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    I sent you a PM and a link ...

Thanks. I'll keep that on wishlist. March Madness is not far away!
    edited December 1969

LOL! You know links to items are allowed and believe me you can post it here. I do not mind. I still use DS3A and many items that are from that vendor. I wanted something like it in DS4.5 and asked about a update. The answer was no plans to do so at this time so I made my own version. Then I put it up for others to use if they wished.

I'm not going to stop work on the Improved Double overlay version that will include all the overlays from the Bryce version this one inspired. The work of the Bryce version inspired me to do much better in the new version. Once I beat these scripts into working order I have plans.

edited February 2014

Jaderail said:
    LOL! You know links to items are allowed and believe me you can post it here. I do not mind. I still use DS3A and many items that are from that vendor. I wanted something like it in DS4.5 and asked about a update. The answer was no plans to do so at this time so I made my own version. Then I put it up for others to use if they wished . . .

Dreamlight's Camera Pointer for DS, for anyone who's still wondering -- IIRC the main problem with updating it is that all its functions except for the Camera View Composition Overlays are natively available in DS4x now, not much left to sell. So, thanks again!

I'm not going to stop work on the Improved Double overlay version that will include all the overlays from the Bryce version this one inspired. The work of the Bryce version inspired me to do much better in the new version. Once I beat these scripts into working order I have plans.

Looking forward to it! Hey, has anybody here seen the pic of Sonic the Hedgehog's head with a Golden Spiral overlaid on it? :bug:
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Hey, has anybody here seen the pic of Sonic the Hedgehog's head with a Golden Spiral overlaid on it? :bug:

Hadn't seen it before...but it doesn't surprise me that Sonic 'fits' so well. He was probably designed that way from the very beginning.

• Kat_KatKat_Kat Posts: 169
    edited February 2014

Just want to add my thanks for this amazing tool. I had been trying to eyeball and use hand drawn overlays on paper (I know a little about some of the elements of composition, but not everything that was here) and this just made my life so much easier. This is great.

Thank you Jaderail for putting it together as well as fixmypcmike and Kismet2012 for linking it and bringing it to the light again :)

Post edited by Kat_Kat on
    edited February 2014

I'm happy it is useful. I just got all the needed information to proceed with the new Version. I have beaten the auto size issue so overlays now adjust to the users render size at load. No more setting by hand. And the Double overlays are in the works with a better, read that as easy to use, toolbar that can be docked to your interface or float in your Viewport. Or you can still use icons from the content view. This version might go pro on me but that will depend my beta teams view.

I will be posting here for Beta testers once I get to that stage.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Jay Jay_1264499Jay Jay_1264499 Posts: 298
    edited December 1969

This is a fantastic tool thank you for making it available Jaderail

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

Thank you! =)

. . .

edited December 1969

Okay. I have been away from this tool a long time now. For some reason I never was able to get a version, even a simple one, to function for DAZ Studio 4.0. I just can not think of what would be the error, but any rotation and the overlay just goes away. I stopped trying to develop that version and started building Version 2 of this item for DS4.5+. All went well with the new version which now used Script files and was designed to auto fit to the users render Viewport with Aspect Frame turned on. I then ran head first into a brick wall for the second overlay, not the needed plane itself that's very doable, but the script controls themselves.

I plan to spend much of the summer months on Golden Rules Double Overlay version 2, which will have the option of single or double overlays at the users need, with the Auto match the users Viewport so no more need to set it by hand any longer and a simple set of controls either from the content folder or a user Toolbar the user can place where they like. With the DAZ Studio version of 4.6.3.50 and above DAZ 3D has already added a rule of thirds overlay to the Viewport and have hinted this may grow in the future. That in itself has prompted me to keep at my Double overlay version of DAZ Studio as was done for Bryce by the great team of Horo and David B. I'm sure it is a simple fault in my scripting skills and will focus much effort in do this new Improved version. If it comes down to writing more code than I think is needed, same code but basically used twice, so be it. I just find that a sloppy solution until I explore this deeper.

I hope there is still a use for this Tool by the community by the time I finish it one way or the other. Thanks again to all that has used this version. I will post more as more gets done and working fully to my level of expectations.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I for my part still love, love, love it!
    :)

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I for my part still love, love, love it!
    :)

+1

I always use it. As soon as I load a camera I apply your Golden Rules prop.

edited December 1969
  • siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

Is it compatible with Atmospheric Effects Cameras for DAZ Studio ?