wishes for a better Hexagon

2»

Comments

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

By default Hexagon shows a toolbar at the bottom of the window, one containing various icons to help you position your camera within a view. I need to use these controls, but I have found that although they work as expected when I'm moving my mouse sideways (the Rotate Mode icon will let me spin around and around my selection), unfortunately when it comes to the vertical direction, the mouse is captured or its travel distance limited in some other way (I can only drag down a very short way to rotate the top of my object into view, so to get where I need to be, I must click on Rotate Mode and drag down to rotate the selection a tiny bit, then release the LMB and do it again and again and again).

Rotating vertically is a slow, repetitive process!

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited February 2018

I think its always been like that. Looking at a cube straight on, you can rotate up until you can see straight down on the top face, then you move down and you can only go so far as you can see the bottom of the cube. That is one action, I do not get the stop-start problem you are encountering.

I'd report it to Tech Support - https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Hexagon's "work area" GUI is an old take from Amapi's GUI when it merged with EOVIA's Cararra. This was all 2000-era GUI design. Hopefully, future versions of Hexagon will begin using a more contemporary work area.

Wow, I remember Amapi. Not that I ever used it, but I do remember it.

I also remember Ray Dream Designer, which is the first 3D modeling application I ever used; also the only one I could at the time afford.

In essence, Hexagon kind of reminds me of Ray Dream Designer. The likely reason why I have a soft spot for it and wish to see it continue to be developed.

Fingers crossed for a more contemporary work area in the future.

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited February 2018
    Inkubo said:

By default Hexagon shows a toolbar at the bottom of the window, one containing various icons to help you position your camera within a view. I need to use these controls, but I have found that although they work as expected when I'm moving my mouse sideways (the Rotate Mode icon will let me spin around and around my selection), unfortunately when it comes to the vertical direction, the mouse is captured or its travel distance limited in some other way (I can only drag down a very short way to rotate the top of my object into view, so to get where I need to be, I must click on Rotate Mode and drag down to rotate the selection a tiny bit, then release the LMB and do it again and again and again).

Rotating vertically is a slow, repetitive process!

If it's Windows, that has been a problem since Vista was released (because the widget toolkit used was for 2000/XP). You got three Window modes to use there: Maximized, Full Screen, and non-Maximized. The default non-Maximized Window mode allows the bottom navigation tools to operate fully for me without limiting mouse movement. I'm also using a screen size of 1280 x 1024.

Hexagon's "work area" GUI is an old take from Amapi's GUI when it merged with EOVIA's Carrara. This was all 2000-era GUI design. Hopefully, future versions of Hexagon will begin using a more contemporary work area.

I also remember Ray Dream Designer, which is the first 3D modeling application I ever used; also the only one I could at the time afford.

In essence, Hexagon kind of reminds me of Ray Dream Designer. The likely reason why I have a soft spot for it and wish to see it continue to be developed.

I started with Ray Dream Designer. Just for rendering though. Couldn't figure out its modeling at all. Was very happy when Amapi Designer 7 showed up. It had its share of bugs though (transitioning from Win98 to WinXP at the time of its development). I use Amapi 7.51 Pro from Eovia these days, along with Hexagon, for all my modeling. I use Carrara 5.1 Pro for illustration work using Wireframe Pro a lot.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • I think I started with Raydream Studio, I do remember trying to make cogs and stuff like that. I got it as a package deal with Poser and Bryce 3D - £100 (funny I remember the price, I must be turning into my father, he was Scotish).

• LimbaLimba Posts: 53

Is there UI scale?

It seems little small with 28" 4k display

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited February 2018
    Limba said:

Is there UI scale?

It seems little small with 28" 4k display

The program was made long before 4K displays were available. So I'll let you guess what the answer would be.

Post edited by Ascania on
  • Candy-BoyCandy-Boy Posts: 8
    edited February 2018

Deleted for double posting

Post edited by Candy-Boy on
  • Hexagon's "work area" GUI is an old take from Amapi's GUI when it merged with EOVIA's Cararra. This was all 2000-era GUI design. Hopefully, future versions of Hexagon will begin using a more contemporary work area.

Oh my! Ray Dream Studio by Fractal Design! That takes me waaaay back to the early 1990's. My dormmate was pretty rich and had a copy of AutoCad and Autodesk 3DS. I was mezmerized by his software, but I could only afford Ray Dream. It was easy to learn, but super limited. I can't imagine modeling on that today. Anyway, I created my first animation for an in-house project with Ray Dream Studio. I was so proud of it then, but I am totally ashamed of my modeling and animation work in RDS now. Back then, I had a Pentium Pro with 8MB of RAM and an NVidia Edge card...

For Hexagon, having better material and UV tools would be great. And an update to their scuplting tools would be welcome, too.

Anyway, Hexagon is still going although many a 3D program has given up the ghost. R.I.P.

1) Ray Dream Studio

2) Softimage

3) Hash Animation

4) TrueSpace