Poser + Genesis DSON Importer module not found

Comments

• JMCarriganJMCarrigan Posts: 179
    edited December 1969

Wait a minute. Ya'll do know there are THREE 3 things to install?

the Dyson_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_your version_os, and then the 2 starter essentials 14812, one is_1.6_trx.exe, the other PoserCF_1.6_dpc.exe

There are a lot of different configurations here, but on the second try, before I found out about the 3rd piece of software, I chose my Poser content directory (E: \Poser Pro 2012 Content) then the installer took over and put things where they needed to be needed to be. On the last one it "remembered" where my Poser Content was and installed the Dyson importer thereby giving python something to find and that worked.

I think.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

Still trying to get an un-corrupt download of the Core Starter Essentials. This is about my fifth try and it's more than 200 mb.:p I may have to wait until late tonight when the servers are in better shape to handle the traffic or whatever.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You are remembering to clear your cache between attempts, aren't you. Most browsers have a habit of retaining the partial download, and then the subsequent attempts fail at the same point.

I guess you know that, but just in case. :)

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    You are remembering to clear your cache between attempts, aren't you. Most browsers have a habit of retaining the partial download, and then the subsequent attempts fail at the same point.

I guess you know that, but just in case. :)

I didn't, actually! Thanks for that information.

It does explain a lot.

edited October 2012

Finally got the 400+ mb core files installed! It seems to be working now. Hooray, and thanks very much to everyone who helped. :-)

Interesting to note that Poser Pro 2012 apparently has no collision or smoothing mechanic. Clothing with no FBMs in it therefore will not fit anything but default Genesis, it appears? Journeyer Scout sure doesn't.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • Fred Winkler ArtFred Winkler Art Posts: 795
    edited December 1969

Finally got the 400+ mb core files installed! It seems to be working now. Hooray, and thanks very much to everyone who helped. :-)

Interesting to note that Poser Pro 2012 apparently has no collision or smoothing mechanic. Clothing with no FBMs in it therefore will not fit anything but default Genesis, it appears? Journeyer Scout sure doesn't.

Thats great to hear. :)

It's good to see it's all working now.... and yes I noticed the same... but the good thing is, Dynamic Poser clothing works.... yay. ;)

... now if only there is a way of exporting character morphs out of DS4.5 and importing the morphs into poser than that would be awesome, as it's a bit dull just with the basics... that said, i already recreated one of my own characters and she is rendering in poser now, but still would be cool to bring old morphs over.

edited December 1969

It looks like the Evolution set etc. are listed under compatibles? Maybe resetting downloads on them will produce compatibility files.

• Fred Winkler ArtFred Winkler Art Posts: 795
    edited December 1969

It looks like the Evolution set etc. are listed under compatibles? Maybe resetting downloads on them will produce compatibility files.

oh yeah, they work, but I was meaning character morphs that were created in DS4 before the whole poser thing came in, where all the dials are all set to look just right... those morphs i'd like to import and try out... but maybe that will happen one day... who knows... some kind of scribt that can convert alt dsa files to have them work in poser... unless it is possible and I just havent figured it out yet.

• Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

In PP2012 in the Scripts menu, there is a DSON category. Inside that is a "Copy active morphs" script. If you load Genesis, dial whatever FBM you want, and then use that script on the clothing, I've had good luck with it. If that doesn't work, you can always load the clothing and genesis in the latest DS4.X build, try autofit, and then export it in the right format for use in Poser (which also works surprisingly well for me).

Of course... experiences may vary... :)

edited December 1969

Saba Taru said:

In PP2012 in the Scripts menu, there is a DSON category. Inside that is a "Copy active morphs" script. If you load Genesis, dial whatever FBM you want, and then use that script on the clothing, I've had good luck with it. If that doesn't work, you can always load the clothing and genesis in the latest DS4.X build, try autofit, and then export it in the right format for use in Poser (which also works surprisingly well for me).

Of course... experiences may vary... :)

Oh cool! That sounds like a very nice fix for a pesky issue.

• edited December 1969

I uninstalled DSON, and now poser gives me an error when ever I open it...

poserdazerror.jpg
    436 x 345 - 69K
  • edited December 1969

I have poser pro 2010 a higher version then Poser9 it doesnt say anything about 2010. im guessing its not supported? and why not because its 64 bit and as i said higher version then poser9.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Stan57 said:
    I have poser pro 2010 a higher version then Poser9 it doesnt say anything about 2010. im guessing its not supported? and why not because its 64 bit and as i said higher version then poser9.
    Something to do with Python and Triax Weight mapping I believe. Not 100% sure but along those lines.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Stan57 said:

PP2010 was released with Poser 8, only P9 and PP2012 have weight-mapping and the plugin architecture.

edited October 2012

I uninstalled DSON, and now poser gives me an error when ever I open it...

You may need to update to SR3.

EDIT: Oh wait. It's doing that after you uninstalled? Is it just popping up on startup?

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • cole4965cole4965 Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

I have yet to get it to work. I am using Windows 7 Poser 9 installed in Program Files (x86). I run with all my runtime etc in Poser 9. I updated the service pack, installed all 3 files and restarted but when I go to load a character I get the following message:

"The DSON importer requires a writable Runtime folder that is outside of the program files. Add a writable Runtime folder to the Library and try again"

When I look in my Poser directory I see folders such as Animals, aniBlocks, Camera Presets, People Props, Scenes and even Runtime outside of my normal Runtime, that is where the default installation put them? Is that right?

Help please, I usually figure stuff out but this one has got me snackered.

Thanks

edited December 1969

cole4965 said:
    I have yet to get it to work. I am using Windows 7 Poser 9 installed in Program Files (x86). I run with all my runtime etc in Poser 9. I updated the service pack, installed all 3 files and restarted but when I go to load a character I get the following message:

"The DSON importer requires a writable Runtime folder that is outside of the program files. Add a writable Runtime folder to the Library and try again"

When I look in my Poser directory I see folders such as Animals, aniBlocks, Camera Presets, People Props, Scenes and even Runtime outside of my normal Runtime, that is where the default installation put them? Is that right?

Help please, I usually figure stuff out but this one has got me snackered.

Thanks

Where is the runtime, and did you add it as an external runtime in Poser?

edited December 1969

Sorry, I'm not sure what that means. You mean outside the normal Runtime that is in Poser? I have the normal Runtime in Poser 7 and now there is another Runtime and several other folders outside the Runtime but still in the Poser 9 directory that were populated there when I installed the 3 Genesis files. If there is a method for installing external Runtimes in Poser I don't know it. When I buy products from DAZ I install them inside the the Runtime that is default in Poser 9 when you install it.

Not sure I am answering what you wish to know
    Thanks

edited December 1969

The Runtime you install "Genesis Starter Essentials - Core" and "Genesis Starter Essentials - Poser Companion Files" needs to be outside of the Program Files/Program Files (x86) folders.

edited December 1969

Thanks I figured it out, I didn't know how to link to an outside folder from inside Poser, shame on me, I have had every version of Poser since version 4.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited October 2012

OK, I read all 6 pages, but I don't think any of it helped me:

1) Running Poser 9 SR3 on Win7 64 bit

2) Downloaded:
    2a) DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Win32.exe
    2b) 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.6_dpc.exe
    2c) 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx.exe

3) Installed (2a) to C:\Program Files (x86)\Smith Micro\Poser 9 (NOTE: it defaulted to Poser Pro 2012 in a (x86) directory, which is wrong, and still put the un-installers there, even though I changed it)

4) Installed (2b,c) into my Runtime, which is on my V: drive (another hard disk, fully writeable)

5) Poser starts fine, stuff is in the Runtime, double-click on Genesis and get the picture like before posted:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "V:\Hobbies\Daz\Studio\content\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter

Any thoughts? Anyone here using P9?

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

SR3.1 fixed it...thanks anyway.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've just noticed this, for Poser 9 people a re-install of SR3.1 after the default install's seems to help some of the time. Maybe that should be a tip in the doc's?

• RJS666RJS666 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

So I take it only 1/2 dozen clothing things actually work in Poser? They have to be "compatible?" Hardly worth the effort. Maybe in a years time.

edited December 1969

RJS666 said:
    So I take it only 1/2 dozen clothing things actually work in Poser? They have to be "compatible?" Hardly worth the effort. Maybe in a years time.

More like 2 dozen at quick count. If you can run DS4.5.1.6 you can update others yourself.

• RJS666RJS666 Posts: 5
    edited October 2012

Hmm, thanks but no I don't run DS, been on Poser for 10yrs, to old to learn another app. If I had DS installed I wouldn't need to export to poser in the first place.

Post edited by RJS666 on
  • Mr BunMr Bun Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I am also having this issue... seems to be missing something? error message is as follows;

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
    import dson;
    ImportError: No module named dson

I've placed the starter essentials on a separate writable drive.
    I've linked to all known libraries on both my C drive and G drives. Best part of my weekend spent fiddling with this to no avail.
    This has me stumped!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Have you updated to Poser pro 2012 to SR3? Did you install the actual plugin?

• Mr BunMr Bun Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Thanks... that did the trick.
    SR3 was not installed.... seems to be working now.

• edited June 2013

Is someone willing to work with me to help me solve this "DSON Importer module not found" installation problem...I have read tons of posts, installed all three of the required DSON and genesis starter/CF files, the SR3 is downloaded AND installed, and I have moved/changed/ rearranged all my runtimes and selected paths to everyones' suggestions. I have PoserPro 2012 with WIN 7, so i have tried to install the script files in a runtime outside of the program files folder. So far, nothing has actually worked. I need a step by step walkthrough for the situation I have.

Any kind souls? I'll be your best friend forever.

By now I have changed so many things, I don't actually know how to just start over. I spent a bunch of money on these products and don't want to waste it.
    Thanks
    Marie

poser_dson.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 461K
    Post edited by lowriderchick_de3decb0d4 on