My Project: Brash Lonergan adventures - Warning AI Discussion Possible

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Better than having your dog bone you!!! surprise

Guess I should include Brash's horror image fom the Dungeon's Deep challenge in this main Brash thread.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Stezza said:

I have trouble trying to bone my dog!

hmmmmm.... that don't sound right...

I'd have no hope doing what you're doing ... great work yes

step 1 - catch dog

Diomede said:

Better than having your dog bone you!!! surprise

Guess I should include Brash's horror image fom the Dungeon's Deep challenge in this main Brash thread.

great image especially the dof - and I just saw the bone!

edited January 2018

Thank you, HW.

I have another rigging issue.  I have started another thread for it, but it definitely applies to Brash and Moxie as well.  The joints for fingers, etc. do no always align X Y Z with the world.  I can't figure out how to realign the default axis of a joint.  Missing something simple I bet.

If you know the answer, please post in the dedicated rigging thread.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/226816/rigging-question-joint-at-angle#latest

SOLVED!!!   See solution here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3259756/#Comment_3259756

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited January 2018

Just a test: Carrara native Toon III filter, no postwork

Baseline scene

Default Carrara Toon III render.  This is a test render of the simplest scene possible with my custom Brash and Moxie.  Using some low res clothing modeled in the vertex modeler and applying procedural shaders.  I have not applied any morphs to correct joint bends.  Clothing is not draped in any way to create folds or wrinkles.  Clothing is simply attached to the same skeletons as the figures.  No VWD, no wrinkle morphs, no...  I have not applied any expression morphs.  I have not done anything to correct poke through.  The hair is prop hair created from Carrara dynamic hair using Philemo's plugin.  No postwork.

Test Render Brash and Moxie.jpg
    1600 x 2133 - 218K
    edited January 2018

Test Continued: GMIC Colored Pencil filter, no postwork

Brash Colored Pencil GMIC.jpg
    1600 x 2133 - 324K
    edited January 2018

Test Last Post: here is the default photoreal render, note one light plus ambient

Brash Colored Pencil no filter default photoreal one light and ambient.jpg
    1600 x 2133 - 217K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

These are looking pretty cool!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Great results, Diomede!

edited January 2018

Thank you, PhiW and Vyusur. 

It has been quite the journey, but I am glad I did it.  Before, said that I thought that I had reached about the level of Poser 4.  I think I am in the range of Poser 6.  

Poser 6 Hi res James and Jessi

Here I have attempted to adapt the clothing for Poser 6 James and Poser 6 Jesse.  Again, attached clothes to same skeletons.  Roughly the same poses.  No expressions, no attempts to fix poke through, no postwork, etc.

p6 toon iii.png
    1200 x 1600 - 845K
    edited January 2018

Another cover

brash wip 2.jpg
    800 x 1321 - 252K
    brash wip 2c composite.jpg
    800 x 1321 - 694K
    edited January 2018

Brash Toon iii filter, prop hair converted from dynamic by Philemo's plugin, clothes attached to same skeleton.  Needs an elbow correction morph.

Can see a hint of his teeth.

brash closup toon iii.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 47K
    brash teeth.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 49K
    Diomede said:

Brash Toon iii filter, prop hair converted from dynamic by Philemo's plugin, clothes attached to same skeleton.  Needs an elbow correction morph.

Can see a hint of his teeth.

greet style in these - I like the second one best :)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,531

I like him with his teeth.

laugh​  Even the emoti likes having teeth,

Well, I feel like the Brash figure is done.  Going forward, I'm going to have to handle joint morphs on a case-by-case basis because I just can't get Fenric's plugin to handle the rotations automatically.  But other than that, I have several working options for expressions (combination of facial bones and morphs), the hair (matching dynamic and prop), for clothing (conforming and drape), 

But I'm not satisfied with the Moxie figure.  The eyes and mouth have artifacts in some of the test renders that I'm not happy with, and the rigging needs some significant adjustments.  The next few posts in my little progress journal here will be attempts to adjust the Moxie figure and do some more test renders.

Then - let the adventures begin!

edited January 2018

Experimenting with expressions.  Brash has facial bones.  Here, I combined using the facial bones to adjust his mouth while using morphs for the eyes.

The other figure is Darsel for G8M by Vyusur.

Diomede said:

Experimenting with expressions.  Brash has facial bones.  Here, I combined using the facial bones to adjust his mouth while using morphs for the eyes.

The other figure is Darsel for G8M by Vyusur.

wonderful movement in this, and just the right expression for being decked :)

Thanks, HW.  

edited February 2018

Struggling with a couple elements of Moxie's face.  But here are some WIPs.  One default and one attempt at an expression of wink/smile.  Toon Part iii default.

Moxie 3 toon part iii.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 51K
    Moxie 3 toon part iii wink.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 54K
    edited February 2018

Moxie in a Temple with a Sword, MIATWAS

Carrara Toon III

GMIC filter colored pencil

Carrara NPR

moxie temple sword.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 56K
    moxie temple sword gmic.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 86K
    moxie temple sword npr.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 75K
    edited February 2018

Rediscovered toon override for individual elements in a scene.  Had to experiment.  In the attached, I've reduced the toon lines effect just for the hair.  That allows the blonde to show a little instead of being drowned out by the black lines of the strands in toon 3.

brash 2 cover med planet.jpg
    800 x 1333 - 107K
    edited February 2018

Working on Brash's and Moxie's wardrobes. Although I will often be using VWD, being able to attach to the same skeleton can also be a great time saver in some situations.  Never could get "fit to" to work, even when using the exact same skeleton for the person mesh and the clothing mesh.

Here, I experimented with a morph to tuck in Brash's shirt.  

Of all the gin joints in all the galaxy, Moxie had to walk into his.  Hopefully, you can see the correction at the back of his pants/shirt in the sitting position in the two pics.  Have to clean up more of the weightmap around the top of the thigh, but very happy with the tuck-in morph.

Problem area out back of pants when seated

Shirt corrected with morph

gin joints 3.JPG
    1686 x 1009 - 172K
    gin joints 2.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 116K
    Gin Joints 1b.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 314K
    edited February 2018

Same scene but stacked a reduced toon 3 with GMIC colored pencil.

gin mix toon 3 and colored pencil.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 160K
    edited February 2018

Playing around with the Moxie and Brash figures, and with GMIC filters.  

Panels combined 1.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 691K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Love these - very impressed by all the work you have put into this project.

Thanks, PhilW.  Great to see you in the forum. Thanks for the encouragement.

Blocking out some ideas for an urban set.  Unfortunately, I am being indecisive.  I need to choose how stylized I want this particular apartment to be.

gg01 blocking out apartment.JPG
    1656 x 1008 - 134K

And I should include the appearance of Brash and Moxie in the recent challenge.

And here is the other entry with one of the figures.  Moxie is not happy.

edited June 2018

No one might care but me, but I need to put this where I can look it up again later.

In experiemnting with more stylized custom toon figures, I've learned some very useful rigging tips (Thank you, 3DAge).  I think the Brash and Moxie figures' meshes might be reasonable, but some issues I have been having with Brash and Moxie are due to the way I rigged them.  For example, the joint rotation order is wrong on several limbs that were duplicated with symmmetry.  The problem is not the first letter of X,Y,Z, but is the second.  Sometimes, if a joint has X,Y,Z instead of X,Z,Y, then a 90 degree structural constraint can mess up bends.  That is, if the joint tries to bend 100 degrees (like an elbow), then the figure bounces back at 90.  This can be corrected if the rotation order is corrected, focusing on the 2nd and 3rd direction.

See - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/254696/save-to-browser-loses-info-for-joint-rotations-comments-polygon-groups#latest

and 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3655341/#Comment_3655341