Rigging Question: Joint at angle - SOLVED!!

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
edited January 2018 in Carrara Discussion

Aargh. I have to do the rigging over for a couple of figures because the mesh does not have the joints at right angles.  Is there a way to change the center of axes for joints relative to the "world"?

For example, this figure is modeled such that the elbow is slightly bent so that a joint that is aligned to the "world" Y axis does not quite align with the mesh of the forearm.  I've tried turning on CAPSLOCK and a couple of other ideas, but nothing I have thought of works.

EDIT: my post and the attached image should be labeled X axis, not Y axis.  Same point being made.

SS01 RIGGING QUESTION b.jpg
1828 x 1022 - 608K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2018

Here is a closeup of the fingers.  Maybe you can see the problem more clearly here.  I have selected a knuckle on the index finger.  I have the rotate tool on.  See how the X Y Z rotation circles are aligned to the "world" and not to the finger?

ss02 fingers show not aligned.JPG
    1775 x 972 - 222K
    edited January 2018

Solved

OK, fell victim to RTFM.  blush

Don't use the CAPSLOCK such as changing hot points.

Instead, turn on the Lock Child tool in the top menu in the Assemble room.  This will fix the parent and children bones/joints in place.  Then, select the joint of the bone that you want to align.  Select the rotation tool.  Rotate the joint as desired.  Unclick the Lock Child icon.

orient joint from manual.JPG
    999 x 805 - 93K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812

ah the Carrara manual, I myself forget to consult it so often and indeed never knew this either

it may even hold the answer to something that bugs me endlessly exporting Carrara rigging, duplicating bones and then making them unique.

th3Digit said:

ah the Carrara manual, I myself forget to consult it so often and indeed never knew this either

it may even hold the answer to something that bugs me endlessly exporting Carrara rigging, duplicating bones and then making them unique.

I think I need to go through some exercises and tutorials again.  I'm forgetting things that I use to have a good handle on.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    Diomede said:
    th3Digit said:

I think I need to go through some exercises and tutorials again.  I'm forgetting things that I use to have a good handle on.

Happens to us all!