Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• Sorry to put the CV hat on everyone. Please double check your image sizes. I don't know if the forum has messed up or if it's just my computer but some images are showing up larger than 800 px wide. Thank you.

• I've been playing around with a couple of new techniques and mixing them with some of my old techniques. This one went somewhere totally unexpected from where I started. I thought I'd share.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

I've been playing around with a couple of new techniques and mixing them with some of my old techniques. This one went somewhere totally unexpected from where I started. I thought I'd share.

very nice love the effect on the hair and the ground especially,

ps all images look the same width at this end

edited January 2018

Image may contain: 2 people

Image may contain: 1 person

two from me with stuff I learnt from that poser vid - thanks again Kenmo et Tasos Anastasiades.

Carrara render passes (object,shadow, depth, ToonPro3,, coverage, ToonPro, posteffect, diffuse pass)  worked on in Photodonut and Topasz Impression and Nik.

All the render passes are Carrara Native passes except the tooon Pro.

Example of ToonPro render at end. You can achioecve almsot the same lines with Carrara native NPR engine.

injeeptoonpros.jpg
    2000 x 1822 - 644K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Thanks a lot, Divamakeup. Lori is the best.

edited January 2018

Thanks, head wax. I have found, that many images I have made in Unity,
    looks great after applying pastel filter.

Post edited by Artini on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562
    head wax said:

Example of ToonPro render at end. You can achioecve almsot the same lines with Carrara native NPR engine.

Lines look awesome, @headwax! Perfect for technical illustrations/blueprints. Their width (or lack thereof) is a big part of what makes them look so good, IMHO.

- Greg

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

I've been playing around with a couple of new techniques and mixing them with some of my old techniques. This one went somewhere totally unexpected from where I started. I thought I'd share.

This looks great, KM! Can't help but wonder how it would look if you were to run the elements independently, which might help with separation by making outlines more prominent, as well as making the hatching not line up for each element - just a thought.

- Greg

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited January 2018
    Artini said:

.. and the close up of scuba diver.

You are on a fantastic run of cool renders...

One problem I have when I do a NPR render, do I want a comic book look or a paintery look? Nice to see you experimenting... 

Been too busy in Lightroom & Photoshop with my photo editing. And I have some 3D models that I have been working on and off with that need finishing...

Too many hobbies and not enough down time... :)

Post edited by kenmo on

Thanks, Kenmo.

edited January 2018

Another render from Unity, filtered afterwards in Topaz Clean.

fps03CartoonedDetailed.jpg
    1911 x 1027 - 816K
    Post edited by Artini on
    head wax said:

Lines look awesome, @headwax! Perfect for technical illustrations/blueprints. Their width (or lack thereof) is a big part of what makes them look so good, IMHO.

- Greg

thanks Greg!

out of interest there is a video here from Cripeman (RIP) showing how to use Carrara native renderer to make blueprints

cheers :)

• BTW: Lots of great stuff here lately. I'm a bit tied up with my new work schedule, so instead of catching up on things online, I spent the day trying to get started on my comic story again (after doing some chores around the house). Talk to you all in more detail in a few days.

head wax said:

two from me with stuff I learnt from that poser vid - thanks again Kenmo et Tasos Anastasiades.

Carrara render passes (object,shadow, depth, ToonPro3,, coverage, ToonPro, posteffect, diffuse pass)  worked on in Photodonut and Topasz Impression and Nik.

Fantastic outcome...I like this style very much...

• magicjavamagicjava Posts: 152
    edited January 2018

Mermaid test. Minimal postwork.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • head wax said:

very nice love the effect on the hair and the ground especially,

ps all images look the same width at this end

Thanks. I kind of like those areas myself. The technique still needs some work but I like the results so far.

This looks great, KM! Can't help but wonder how it would look if you were to run the elements independently, which might help with separation by making outlines more prominent, as well as making the hatching not line up for each element - just a thought.

- Greg

Thanks. As always, there are some things I need to figure out how to tweak. I'll try running the elements independently and see what that does. It's definitely not perfect but a nice start. I do think I'm kind of getting to a place where I'm getting a feel for how the elements work together. Just need some more experimenting. :)

kenmo said:
    head wax said:

Fantastic outcome...I like this style very much...

thank you I had a lot of fun doing it :)

today's digital engraving - with photodonut and filter forge plus an assortment of Carrara render passes.

plus another version

hair by carrara.

in carrara you can render out hair passes - you get a light and a dark one and you can add those to your diffuse layer (which doesnt have the hair passes)  with different parameters eg screen and multiply, then bring in your shadow layer as well and put it on top. Or you can just grab your 'beauty pass' which already has everything combined - but the first way lets you do more tweaking

edited January 2018

Now THAT ^^^^ deserves a tutorial - totally awesome

Post edited by magicjava on
    edited January 2018

A cover for one of my comic books. If I remember right It's just a genesis model with a metal shader for skin. The picture is then run through a filter forge filter. I can't remember which one because I lost my notes over the years. I think it started with a G.

EDIT: Other than that filter and the composition of the various elements, no postwork.

EDIT 2: Here's a sample from inside the book. Yup, thats some Victoria 4 action going on there!

Post edited by Chohole on
    magicjava said:

A cover for one of my comic books. If I remember right It's just a genesis model with a metal shader for skin. The picture is then run through a filter forge filter. I can't remember which one because I lost my notes over the years. I think it started with a G.

EDIT: Other than that filter and the composition of the various elements, no postwork.

EDIT 2: Here's a sample from inside the book. Yup, thats some Victoria 4 action going on there!

great cover, really like the first image bottom left, just the right amount of patina!

Great engraving examples, head wax. I like very much the first one.

magicjava said:

Now THAT ^^^^ deserves a tutorial - totally awesome

Concurr....Head Wax you are onto something that is awesome....

Oso3D said:

Still tinkering...

There are two outline layers on a grayshaded layer passed through FilterForge's Crayon Master 2 filter.

Love your "tinkering"....:-)

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

The mermaids scene looks amazing @magicjava  Very cool that you were able to achieve it without a lot of post work.

The soldier/vehicle renders are neat @headwax.  Are you using the same figure for all three characters?  The faces look similar and I'm wondering whether that is because of minimum lines or use of the same character.  Like your explorer renders as well.  The second one actually looks a little like it's in motion/vibrating, like the seconds before using a transporter or something, if you know what I mean.  

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Sheesh, don't check in for a day or two and you guys are 64 posts ahead lol. 

edited January 2018

The mermaids scene looks amazing @magicjava  Very cool that you were able to achieve it without a lot of post work.

Thanks. There's so much good stuff on this thread it's hard to stand out or even compliment everything that's good!

I used rhyming to compose that picture. The bodies of the two girls in the back rhymes with the hair of the girl in the front, which also rhymes with her arm (rhyming with shapes). The front girl's eyes rhyme with the light behind her head and the glowing sea creature on the left (rhyming with color).

I learned about rhyming in a documentary about tarot cards, of all places. There's a man in NYC named Enrique who uses rhyming to discern the meaning of the tarot cards.

Post edited by magicjava on
    head wax said:
    magicjava said:

great cover, really like the first image bottom left, just the right amount of patina!

Thank you, sir! I had to google patina! ;) 

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited January 2018

Just messing around with FotoSketcher.

Darsel head 02_FotoSketcher.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Darsel head 03_FotoSketcher.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited January 2018

Some wall art for my workout area:

Bushido

The Samurai was done in IRAY, then Fotosketcher filter.  Text and Dragon done in Photoshop.  The dragon is a PS brush.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
This discussion has been closed.