FLUIDOS plugin for Carrara -- version 1.4 update

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

My simulations are very slow and as you can see on the screenshot, not so much ressources are used in my new computer, is it normal?

Capture.PNG
    1160 x 734 - 90K
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,873
    edited January 2018

I tried it myself, the CPU never goes beyond 18%... and my GPU is at 2%!  (.-.)

Maybe it isn't that heavy for the PC, after all? Or maybe it uses the CPU in some strange way?

P.S.

Nice CPU, Dudu, I want one too! cheeky

And for those interested, I found a way to export 1:1 simulations to DAZ! I don't even need to resize/move/rotate it, that wonderful Plugin is... Wonderful! laugh

Post edited by Imago on
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381
    DUDU said:

OK Phil and Alberto, if I do understand well, it is the resolution of the fluid which should be decreased to reduce simulation time…
    What is the level of subdivision?
    What wants to say “Anisotropic”?
    Which is the influence of these two parameters on a simulation (and the final render)?

Thanks!

Level of subdivision is a postprocess of the fluid simulation itself, it's the equivalent to Subdivision level in Smooth of Vertex Objectcs, or the Smoothing in Soft Body modifier or Extra Adaptive Steps in Subdivision of Displacement Mapping. 
    Only take into account that, as says the GridFluidSim3d documentation, "A higher subdivision level will produce a higher quality surface at the cost of longer simulation times and greater memory usage."

Anisotropic refers to the method construction of the triangle mesh of the fluid after simulation. By default the construction is isotropic, i.e., the fluid mesh is created from a set of spheres. On the other hand, for anisotropic construction, the fluid mesh is created from ellipsoids. This method preserves sharp features while better match a smooth fluid surface, but it's much slower than isotropic one.

DUDU said:

My simulations are very slow and as you can see on the screenshot, not so much ressources are used in my new computer, is it normal?

The simulator don't work in multithread. Its calculations are carried out by the GPU, so you won't see much CPU activity.

DUDU said:

One more question: I just look the Dartanbeck's video and I see that there are 3 more parameters below "Maximal number of diffuse particles", is it a new version?

@Phil: I'm sorry if I ask some questions where you answered in your videos, but English is not my usual language and it's difficult for me to try to translate and understand the process in the same time...

Yes, it is a new version, not released yet.

DUDU, I have the same problem with English, so this is the bridge-language between us. I hope my english explanations don't confuse you.smiley

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited January 2018

Dudu, nous reponderons en Francais au future, peut-etre?

Post edited by PhilW on
    PhilW said:

Dudu, nous reponderons en Francais au future, peut-etre?

¿Y quizá, a mí, en español? wink

Alberto, may I ask what that "Expansion" option in the emitter does?

I tried it but I can't see diefferences...

Imago said:

Alberto, may I ask what that "Expansion" option in the emitter does?

I tried it but I can't see diefferences...

By the emitter you mean the Fluid Source, don't you?

It's supposed to increase or decrease the size of the Source, as an alternative to use the Carrara scaling. Is it not working properly for you?

Yes, I keep using the name of the other system! blushcheeky

I tried it at 1 and the simulation has the same size, no changes.

I'll try again with different sizes but it seemed to never had effect on my tests.

Ah, a little question: How can I control how much fluid is generated by the liquid source?

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    Imago said:

And for those interested, I found a way to export 1:1 simulations to DAZ! I don't even need to resize/move/rotate it, that wonderful Plugin is... Wonderful! laugh

I am interested in how to export to DAZ, if you could share that info it would be much appreciated!

Imago said:

Ah, a little question: How can I control how much fluid is generated by the liquid source?

Use the velocity in Source Properties.

Speaking of velocity in Source Properties, quite often you may want to have variations in the flow rather than being totally constant. You can do this very easily by setting the maximum flow at the start of the simulation and the minimum flow at the end of the simulation (or vice versa) and using the Noise Tweener set to Cubic and then adjust the other parameters to suit. I think Cubic probably works best but as usual feel free to experiment!

edited January 2018

@ Alberto

Already tried, the max I can put is 25, higher values makes the flow break in many smaller spheres, even with higher grid values.

@ Firepro9

Just create a DAZ scene subset containing at least one primitive. Open Carrara and load the subset, then create the fluid simulation you need, be sure to use a separate folder for the output. After this, cave the scene for further usages. Choose one or more of the frames from the simulation and remeber which frame they are. In the end, go to the output folder and convert to OBJ the one numbered after the frames you need.

Now you can import your OBJ into DAZ, it should be the dame identical size as the one in Carrara.

Post edited by Imago on
    Imago said:

@ Alberto

Already tried, the max I can put is 25, higher values makes the flow break in many smaller spheres, even with higher grid values.

You could try increasing the size of the Source - bigger Source will give more flow.

Imago said:

@ Alberto

@ Firepro9

Just create a DAZ scene subset containing at least one primitive. Open Carrara and load the subset, then create the fluid simulation you need, be sure to use a separate folder for the output. After this, cave the scene for further usages. Choose one or more of the frames from the simulation and remeber which frame they are. In the end, go to the output folder and convert to OBJ the one numbered after the frames you need.

Now you can import your OBJ into DAZ, it should be the dame identical size as the one in Carrara.

Besides the advice of Phil (I think his is the more in accord with physics), you could use a bigger FPS.

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    Imago said:

@ Firepro9

Thank you Imago, I will give it a try.

edited January 2018

I'll try modifing the tweener, I never thought about it.
    And increase the size won't work for me, I need a narrow, not too big stream of water. And increase scenes' size will make all my efforts to have a 1:1 export later useless...
    Yes, I know, I'm a genious in entangle myself in crazy stuff! cheeky

Post edited by Imago on

Alberto may correct me if I'm wrong but what I think the source does is create fluid where the Source is, which is then moved away either by setting a velocity or simply by gravity, and as this vacates the space in the Source, it is refilled again each frame. If the movement away from the Source in the time it takes for one frame to pass is larger than the size of the Source, then you will likely get the interrupted flow that you are seeing. So the two fixes are increase the size of the Source - not necessarily the width of the opening but "along the pipe" as it were, so that when it moves by one frame, it still connects to the Source, or increase the frame rate as Alberto suggested so that the movement per frame is less.

edited January 2018

Do you mean making the source "Longer"? Well, I'll try! I haven't thought about that solution, and probably is the simpliest and most effective!

*EDIT*
    Oh, boy! It works! Just making the fluid source elongated in the flow direction, now I can use higher velocities and smaller grids!
    Thanks Phil! laugh

Post edited by Imago on

Glad you got something that worked for you!

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Alberto said:
    DUDU said:

The simulator don't work in multithread. Its calculations are carried out by the GPU, so you won't see much CPU activity.

I am running FLUIDOS on CPU only, no GPU in the system (the old integrated Intel GPU does not support OpenCL) and using Intel CPU OpenCL drivers.
    Have only run a simple simulation (the one described in the manual) and get between 20% and 50% CPU load, depending on the FLUIDOS settings.
    Only other plugin I have checked in detail is LuxCore and LuxusCore rendering plugins, they also spend a lot of time with no CPU/GPU load.
    I am guessing that transferring data between Carrara and external plugins takes time and if you do simple renders or simulations, half the time is wasted.
    You can check GPU load in latest Windows 10 1709 task manager or GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Berrys and creme

I need a tutorial to do same thing, 3DAGE... When I try to fill a container, all the fluid passes through the mesh and goes everywhere but inside it! And I'm pretty sure I put it inside the domain! surprise

Another thing I noticed is that when I add an object inside the domain (Genesis 1 with some morph) the fluid flow somehow increases its size and in order to obtain the same result of before adding it, I have to bring the grid from 400 to 300. Oddly enough, the flow doesn't break like when the char is out the domain!

Hi Imago :)

you may need to make a "proxy" object to keep the fluid in the object,.for the simulation,. then make it invisible at render time,

I wish i could give you some idea of what settings to use,. but it's more like try it and see what happens,. sometimes it works, sometimes it fails

generally speaking, the density of geometry for the deflecting object,. should be related to the size of the fliud particles,. but in some attempts at this,. bigger grid sizes caused more leaking. 

there's still bit's of leaking in that simulation, whee it's gone through the inside layer of geometry and stopped at the outside,. so I don't think that the "normal direction has any effect in the sim.

perhaps that's something which can be worked on for a plugin update.

On genesis / figures,. I'm not sure what's causing that,. could be a parenting thing, could be a Genesis thing

depending on the shot,. you could try using another generation of figure V3/V4 as a "Stand in" and see if the problem is the same,. or make a Proxy surface for the area that get's fluid

hope that makes sense :)

Proxy? I'll look for that and make some experiment! Thanks!

About the parenting, I don't know. I'm using always the same saved scene for experiments, and Genesis is always in it. I think it could be related to the force I add to the char. Maybe it "attracts" the particles a bit when they are casted and makes the flow bigger.

A proxy is just a "stand in" object,.. basically another mesh with better geometry to stop the particles

I wouldn't normally add a force to a figure, ... that's probably what's causing the issues,. (98% sure)

Forces can be attached to a "physics" object,.. to move it,.  but it's more common to simply add the force to the scene ,. or in Fluidos, the force is added to the domain,. it'll then effect the partlices or physics objects in that domain

It worked! I created a bucket from scratch and imported it in Carrara, it worked immediately.

Thanks for the tips! laugh

I'm eager to try the new version, I saw some new options on Dart's video that looks really interesting.

Imago said:

It worked! I created a bucket from scratch and imported it in Carrara, it worked immediately.

Thanks for the tips! laugh

I'm eager to try the new version, I saw some new options on Dart's video that looks really interesting.

It is released now, Imago !

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Alberto said:

It is released now, Imago !

great news Alberto, thanks once more! you are a gem!

Great! Going to try it right away!

If it supports parented emitter and moving chars- ( Drops on the floor senseless)