Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

Thanks guys! smiley

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    0oseven said:
    3drendero said:
    0oseven said:
    3drendero said:

I finally found may way into bios through windows as apparently function keys dont work [ at least on my laptop ] Since W8 bios is accessed from windows itself.Having said that coulddn't see option to change anything to discrete graphics but I will have another look.

I'd really like Alberto's opinion about changing bios settings - should it be necessary just to get fluidos working ?   

Needed? Don't know, just proposing yet another action to try in your bug hunting quest.

Based on the fact that my Intel+NVIDIA laptop f*cks up many 3D apps either at startup or after a few minutes...
    I even get an Windows error message "Cannot eject NVIDIA graphics card..." just before the shit hits the fan.

What is the model name of the laptop?

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    3drendero said:

Hey Dart, can you check if the Intel OpenCL CPU drivers helps you get Fluidos to run (without disabling OpenCL)?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#latest_CPU_runtime

These drivers lets the CPU run OpenCL code, handy if the GPU is slow, but if the app cannot select the fastest device itself and the user cannot choose which OpenCL device to use, it does not help much...

Not for a Radeon card though... right?

Works on any setup, you basically add another OpenCL device that runs on the CPU instead.
    The drivers can be uninstalled later.
    Just for beta testing and learning...

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219

I am looking forward to spending time with Fluidos, but life has been busy.......soon....very soon.smiley

McGuiver said:

I am looking forward to spending time with Fluidos, but life has been busy.......soon....very soon.smiley

I'm looking forward to you spending time with it as well! yes

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

@Alberto - Your diagram helps clarify the process - thankyou.

Something preventing the .dll file loading - but what?   Maybe time to reinstall Windows 8.1 and see what happens before all the updates are applied !!

Or  maybe I buy a desktop PC !!!!!!!! ha ha !!!!!!!

edited January 2018
    0oseven said:

Something preventing the .dll file loading - but what?   Maybe time to reinstall Windows 8.1 and see what happens before all the updates are applied !!

I'm really feelin' for ya, my friend.  frown

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

0oseven said:

Or  maybe I buy a desktop PC !!!!!!!! ha ha !!!!!!

Try to get ownership to the file!

Google for "take ownership" and use it on the DLL, it should start working properly.

Imago said:

0oseven said:

Or  maybe I buy a desktop PC !!!!!!!! ha ha !!!!!!

Try to get ownership to the file!

Google for "take ownership" and use it on the DLL, it should start working properly.

Cool. I hope it works! yes

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

great tut Dart:)

glad to see you're up and running

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    0oseven said:

Hi Mike!

I just finish to build a new computer (i7/8700K- geforce 1080/16Gb RAM) and install c8.1 and all the plugins with success... except "Fluidos"...

Windows made a few updates and... WOW it's working now!

Windows 8 is the badest version they have done, change and I'm sure that will solve your problem!

Thanks, 3DAGE :)

@ DUDU

Just try Windows XP for half a day and then let me know... devil

@ Dartanbeck

Did you tried the "Ownage trick"?

@ Alberto

Forgot to ask if in the next update you will add the parenting support, it's the very last piece!

Imago said:

@ Dartanbeck

Did you tried the "Ownage trick"?

I haven't been home since you mentioned it. I'll try it though.

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    Imago said:

@ Alberto

Forgot to ask if in the next update you will add the parenting support, it's the very last piece!

Yes, it will, without level limits.

Alberto said:

I'm not into boys... But I love you! cheeky
    I'm doing a lot of experiments, the plugin is wondrous! Plus, I found out I can convert the output into OBJ to obtain a nice sequence. Next step is to find a script that imports those OBJs in DAZ inside a group so I can resize and move them easily!

Imago said:
    Alberto said:

I'm not into boys... But I love you! cheeky
    I'm doing a lot of experiments, the plugin is wondrous! Plus, I found out I can convert the output into OBJ to obtain a nice sequence. Next step is to find a script that imports those OBJs in DAZ inside a group so I can resize and move them easily!

Sounds like a job for mCasual to me! ;)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

why go backwards into a lesser program (DS) with objects (big files) when you already have the ability to do what you want in Carrara (including using daz/poser figures)

Not all objects from the OBJ sequence would appear in the scene at the same time,. so grouping and rescaling in DS won't work for all objects in the sequence since theyre not in the scene at the same frame.

edited January 2018

I already tried it in a small scale, 3DAGE, and it works perfectly smooth. The only issue is the time need to modify every single OBJ values for longer simulations.

Carrara is good, but I still feel more effcient with DAZ.

Post edited by Imago on
    edited January 2018

Hello,
    I made some tests with Fluidos, and I begin to control it but only with small dimensions for the domain (100%).
    With a dimension of 3000% (I want to flood a city), I have the usual error message (Carrara encountered…).
    With a dimension of 1000%x1000%x300%, no crash but the simulation doesn't want to start.

- Is it a limitation due to the program or to the hardware configuration of the computer?
    - The plugin does it use all the cores processor for this simulation (I cannot check while it tries to start)?

Did somebody already tried out large scenes?

Thanks.

PS: Is it a way to stop a simulation, ESC don't work?

Post edited by DUDU on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

If you are increasing the size of the scene, you also should look at increasing the grid size - you don't mention this so I am guessing that you didn't do this?

On the defaults of 10ft cube and 0.125ft grid, each side will be divided into 80 units (10 / 0.125) and 80 x 80 x 80 gives a total of half a million virtual cubes in the fluid domain.

If you increase this to 3000% (ie 30 times the size, without changing the grid) then each side will have 2400 units and 2400 cubed is 13,824,000,000 virtual cubes in the fluid space - so it is little surprise if it chokes Carrara!  For flooding a city, you also won't need it to be as high as it is wide and deep.  If you try to set the grid so that it is no more than 100 units on the longest side, that should give you a workable simulation - so if your fluid domain is 300ft by 300ft by 50ft for example, try a grid of 3ft to test the simulation, and once you are happy with the overall movement, perhaps reduce the grid size to 1ft - but be prepared for much longer simulation times and large files.

Excuses my ignorance Phil but ... what is the grid size?

edited January 2018

It's a parameter in the Fluid Domain - have a watch of my first video and you can see me change the value from the default.  As you can see from my figures, you need to set the grid size appropriate to the size of scene you are working on, otherwise you will get stupidly high resource requirements for the fluid calcuations (or if you are working with a smaller fluid domain, you will get very low resolution in the fluid).

Post edited by PhilW on

I'll look your video again, my poor old brain must learn so much things at the moment (Windows10 for ex...).

Thanks a lot!

@ DUDU

ESC works for me. Just keep it pressed for about five seconds, then release and press again for 5 seconds. SOme time Windows doesn't get the inputs when busy!

@ Phil
    Increase the size of the domain brings to longer simulation times?

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    Imago said:

@ DUDU

ESC works for me. Just keep it pressed for about five seconds, then release and press again for 5 seconds. SOme time Windows doesn't get the inputs when busy!

@ Phil
    Increase the size of the domain brings to longer simulation times?

The ESC only works during the intervals between each frame simulation, the external fluidsim.dll don't respond to it, the plugin has to wait to regain the control. If the frame simulation takes long time to be completed, Carrara could be unresponsive por a while. That is similar to what happen in Render Room. 

The size of the domain itself has no effect on simulation times, but the grid size has.

Grid Size = (xsize / cellsize) *  (ysize / cellsize) *  (zsize / cellsize)

where xsize, ysize, zsize are the dimensions of the fluid domain.

If you want to increase the size of the domain without an increase in simulation times, you must increase the cellsize altogether.

Sorry I have been calling it Grid Size when I should have used Cell Size.- apologies if this has caused any confusion.

Alberto said:
    The size of the domain itself has no effect on simulation times, but the grid size has.

Ah, very well! Thanks!

This is good news for me, I need colossal simulations! laugh

OK Phil and Alberto, if I do understand well, it is the resolution of the fluid which should be decreased to reduce simulation time…
    What is the level of subdivision?
    What wants to say “Anisotropic”?
    Which is the influence of these two parameters on a simulation (and the final render)?

Thanks!

One more question: I just look the Dartanbeck's video and I see that there are 3 more parameters below "Maximal number of diffuse particles", is it a new version?

@Phil: I'm sorry if I ask some questions where you answered in your videos, but English is not my usual language and it's difficult for me to try to translate and understand the process in the same time...