Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• magicjavamagicjava Posts: 152

headwax - love your pictures. Both the ones you've posted here and the ones on your blog. :)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Thanks a lot, IceDragonArt.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    head wax said:

another Carrara job, a zillion edits in post, I u sed some of the stuff I learnt in  that poser video kenmo  posted - I didn't realise you could stack artistic filters in photoshop inside the filter window

there's also an old thread here on using render passes in compositing - it's a battle field but has gems https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54406/compositing-and-post-work-what-is-it-and-why-should-i-care/p7

Looks like an hand crafted pencil sketch...Fantastic results...

edited January 2018

Another western theme image from Unity 3D, filtered in Topaz Simplify afterwards.

Cam01cs3.jpg
    1909 x 1025 - 990K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

... and one more ...

Cam04cs3.jpg
    1915 x 1023 - 955K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

... and one more ...

The lines on the polygon subdivisions is an interesting look. It definitely gives it a video game vibe. I'm very impressed with the coloring; it has a nice pastel look that seems more hand-drawn than rendered in a game engine. Nice effects all around.

• kenmo said:

I watched this recording of a Smith-Micro webinar on Youtube. Artist Tasos Anastasiades show his technique for doing his comic books and graphic novels.

He was influenced by Brian Haberlin's process...

I attended that Webinar live. It was very enjoyable and informative. Also, it was free. Have you signed up for the host site's emails? They run a lot of free events and the newsletter is a great way to find out what's coming up.

• head wax said:

another Carrara job, a zillion edits in post, I u sed some of the stuff I learnt in  that poser video kenmo  posted - I didn't realise you could stack artistic filters in photoshop inside the filter window

there's also an old thread here on using render passes in compositing - it's a battle field but has gems https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54406/compositing-and-post-work-what-is-it-and-why-should-i-care/p7

Learning the filter stacking changed the way I approached filters in PS. And, as others have said, this is outstanding work. It definitely has a hand-drawn look to it.

edited January 2018

Thanks for the comments, mmitchell_houston.

I have redid my previous image.

Cam06t04cs3.jpg
    1909 x 1025 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

... one more image filtered in Topaz Simplify with Pastel preset.

Cam08pastel.jpg
    1909 x 1021 - 381K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

and one more image filtered in Topaz Clean.

Cam07ts02flatTexStrong.jpg
    1913 x 1021 - 584K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

thanks magicjava et mmitchell_houston  and Kenmo - hopefully I can decconstruct the methodology :)

thanks for posting that video Kenmo

Artini said:

... one more image filtered in Topaz Simplify with Pastel preset.

love this style artini

another Carrara work 

the composition is a bit weird but I think the method works and 

it's 4000 wide if you click - Topaz Impression was used plus a little handwork using a Carrara object pass for to aid selection 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    Artini said:

Thanks for the comments, mmitchell_houston.

I have redid my previous image.

Really like the western style your posting.  I think it could work great as an illustrated childrens book. 

edited January 2018

Thanks a lot, head wax.

Post edited by Artini on

Thanks so much, FirstBastion. I like the theme, as well, and Topaz filters made a great job on improving the feel of the image.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited January 2018

So i've been watching the Game Grumps play Doki Doki Literature Club recently and felt inspired.

Glitch effect was done in Filter Forge Pro 6 using "Glitch" by AwesomeSauce (with minor alterations to work with alpha).

DDI_Final.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

So i've been watching the Game Grumps play Doki Doki Literature Club recently and felt inspired.

Glitch effect was done in Filter Forge Pro 6 using a filter found on the website.

Wow, looks like it came from a TV show.

Glitch effect was done in Filter Forge Pro 6 using "Glitch" by AwesomeSauce (with minor alterations to work with alpha).

wow that's wonderful!!

edited January 2018

Here's a go with some flowers - a little plastic and not what I had in mind - but it's all practice i guess.

Carrara render, Topaz Impression and Corel Painter for post

Post edited by Headwax on
    kenmo said:

I watched this recording of a Smith-Micro webinar on Youtube. Artist Tasos Anastasiades show his technique for doing his comic books and graphic novels.

He was influenced by Brian Haberlin's process...

I attended that Webinar live. It was very enjoyable and informative. Also, it was free. Have you signed up for the host site's emails? They run a lot of free events and the newsletter is a great way to find out what's coming up.

I most have missed his mentioning of a e-mail list. I do watch his Facebook page and sent him a friend request which he was very prompt in replying to...

https://www.facebook.com/tasos.anastasiades?pnref=lhc.unseen

head wax said:

Here's a go with some flowers - a little plastic and not what I had in mind - but it's all practice i guess.

Love the outcome you achived...

edited January 2018

Another image made in Unity and filtered afterwards in Topaz Simplify.

pic04cs3.jpg
    1913 x 1021 - 1M
    pic03cs3.jpg
    1903 x 1023 - 644K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

... and one more, with pastel filter.

pic05pastel.jpg
    1903 x 1017 - 413K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

.. and the close up of scuba diver.

pic07cs3.jpg
    1909 x 1019 - 1M
    pic07pastel.jpg
    1909 x 1019 - 399K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    Artini said:

Lori rendered in Daz Studio iray and filtered afterwards in Topaz Simplify.

https://www.daz3d.com/lori-for-genesis-8-female

Dawww Cute! Thank you for using Lori - I love the art effect too! Your render here reminds me a bit of Pippy Longstocking or maybe Anne of Green Gables (modernized). Nicely done! 

• magicjava said:

Ok, one last picture. It's a page from a comic I'm currently working on. Be kind. It's a WIP.

This is really cute. I like it. You have a nice style. :)

Can you double check your settings for the image in your post? Images posted to the forum should be 800 px wide or smaller. To do this, just click on the gear at the top right corner of your post then select Edit. Right click on your image and select Edit image properties. Make sure the image is 800 px wide or smaller.  Thank you.

• tkdrobert said:

Tweaked it a little.  Tell me which you like better.

I kind of like this one with the slightly more saturated colors.

tkdrobert said:

Confront Your Demons.  You can't hide from your demons, but you can defeat them.

IRAY Render, filtered in Topaz Studio with some post work in Photoshop and Clip Paint Studio.  This is a little more psychadelic than I usually do because it's suppose to represent the human psyche not reality.

I really like your color choices in this one.

kenmo said:
    head wax said:

Love the outcome you achived...

thanks Kenmo :)

Artini said:

.. and the close up of scuba diver.

this one has wonderfull watercolour feel

This discussion has been closed.