January 2018 New User 3D Art Challenge - Composition

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Here's version c of my sewer idea fresh out of the iray render engine.  Added an orc in front of the elevator as well as what is being fired at on the bridge. Also turned the shooters head some so he's shouting over his shoulder at his companion and also to let us see the glow of his cyber-eyes.

Edit: Almost  forgot that there was a little more texture work as well, lighting the buttons for the elevator and bumping up the glow of the cyber-eyes to make sure that it showed.

The story is really coming together.

daybird said:

I played around with my content, to give my Orc lady a world to life in. ;)
    Her name is SHRUCCRA, what means "little" in her language.
    Her tribe finds, she was no great gain for them and forced her, to life alone.
    After a year, she took the decision, to seek her fait in the world of the 'pale skins' .
    Her arrive in the small village, causes some real exitement. Rare is the number of Orcs who have visited human places after the big war, between their races and even rarer was the sight of a Orc woman. Especially if she has no clue about the correct morality dress code. :)

This is not the final entry and I also not pleased with a few things. (pokes, poses, positions...)
    I thought for the people in the background I could use some old V3/M3 but they turned out a little ugly.
    Especially as I have no iray skin shaders for them. Until next weekend I try a few chances.

I like the story you are telling here Daybird.  I am looking forward to seeing it after you have made your adjustments.

Tynkere said:

@ Shinji

Coming together!  The space marine or the guy in full armor is going to have his hands full with whatever is crossing the bridge...  : 0 !

@ Daybird

So you put a little village in there and kiddo in the foreground.  Cool.  Anyone with a two handed war axe gets a wide berth.  An Orc with an axe like that gets a crowded street parting like the red sea!  ; )

---
    As for myself, nothing fancy.

Kiddo is almost over exposed. He is in a darker area-- in a dark mood?  

She is coming from a more well light area.  Maybe she brings a little light with her eh?

I’m having trouble with that stupid desklamp. Doesn’t show (as in this render) or if dial settings up, then light just looks like the drafting design look washed out.  Probably ditch it.  

Collar of his his shirt doing weird things.  Have to photoshop I guess.

Other than that, a little DoF to place emphasis on him.

She’s in foreground-- if I were smart, she’d be out of focus.  Editors like that sort of thing.  He’s in the middle & off center.  (Editors like that sort of thing too.)

What else...  No posts growing out of their heads.  I don’t like him being framed with a curve pointing to viewer’s left rather than curving in towards the image, but nothing I can do about the set.  Nothing I could really add to upper right corner that wouldn’t look like I popped it in there, so that one’s a blank.  

Oh, and Hypnagogia’s props (drafting set) are first rate.  If something moves in real life, it’s rigged in DS.  But no cord for the lamp?   Sorry-- nothing I can do about that one either!  : )

Thanks for reading & enjoy week everyone!

--Bruce   

I realize this would be difficult since you deal with Editors in your profession but there are no Editors here. 

If you want to create a cord for the desk lamp you could try using a primitive and deform it.  I have been known to repurpose items from other sets.  Like the hose from a welder set I turned into a glowing cord for a Three Fates style image.

The desk lamp being off adds to his dark mood.

• Had an idea for a new character to add to my sewer sceen, but figured I'd try him out by himself first in a seperate location.

jan2018-3a.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
  • NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    edited January 2018

I'm so used to just pointing the camera directly at the subject so felt it was time to try something different, aiming for the thirds intersection idea, and it feels really weird to do this still.

Joyride

Initial attempt to show the idea, can see that there is some poke-through to take care of on the arms that didn't show up pre-rendering. Would also like to get the background motion blurred, but I believe that means looking at doing two renders, one for the figure, one for the background, blurring the background, and then combining them.

Joyride 1.jpg
    927 x 572 - 127K
    Post edited by Noswen on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    Noswen said:

I'm so used to just pointing the camera directly at the subject so felt it was time to try something different, aiming for the thirds intersection idea, and it feels really weird to do this still.

Joyride

Initial attempt to show the idea, can see that there is some poke-through to take care of on the arms that didn't show up pre-rendering. Would also like to get the background motion blurred, but I believe that means looking at doing two renders, one for the figure, one for the background, blurring the background, and then combining them.

Nice motorcycle and a even nicer driver. The shaders on the motorcycle looking really cool. 

Until now, I miss the feeling of moving and speed in her pose and hair.

The space behind her need to be filled. Maybe another biker or crowd who is looking at her, but I think this is only a first testrender and you will bring the scene soon to life. :)

• Noswen said:

Joyride

My first thought was of my late uncle and how he'd go popping wheelies on his ATV when we'd go out riding.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited December 2018

@ Daybird

Thank you for the kind words.  You’re too modest though.  By my count, you’re our leader with the most featured renders.  Given the competition here that’s no small accomplishment!

The following might sound corny, but I think you are also a ‘leader’ in the sense you always include everyone and point out strengths in a render and areas for improvement.  They should make you a CV!  (I heard a rumor that DAZ gives their CVs free Quadro P6000 cards.  Ha!  I'm sure Kismet would say, "Yeah, I wish!"  laugh)

@ Kismet

Well all of us (if we try to help one another) are kind of like editors imo.  They aren’t mean or anything (at least the ones I worked with) they just have a tough decision to make.  Will a photo, or a story get students to read college newspaper?  Will an ad or image ‘hook’ a reader and help client sell product?  Probably high stress for them.  I’m glad I’m out of the pre-press business.  

Am semi-retired now, and work for a temp agency as a statistician of all things!  Very fortunate to have had two careers.  When the temp lady calls, I have the luxury of declining if I have family visiting or whatever.

But OK!  I won’t type ‘editor’ anymore! 

To topic:
    I found a Poser asset of an old telephone with rigged cord.  Hiding it behind table makes a shadow tho.  Will try d-Form next to get some practice.  Too much cord looks distracting.  It's a magic lamp.  ; )

@ Shinji

Woah!  Wicked glass sword, and flashlight or pointer?  Prefer a plasma gun myself but maybe firearms + natural gas lines (if they’re in sewer) would make a big Boom!

I like him though.  Good posing and everything.  But where do you get all these props?  Bet you and Chameo must have thousands!

@ Noswen

I like it!  Like Shinji, good posing for her on bike, parenting and getting angle on bike + Y axis.  Cool lilghts on it.  Did you make them?  Some neat reflections on the front wheel.

Are you planning to add some stuff behind her?  I’ll share a bit about rule of thirds, but please don’t take it wrong way.  I don’t want to sound like a know it all, or insult your intelligence if already know.

In cartoons or photography, general rule of thumb is if subject is facing left-- he needs ‘room’ in the frame for movement unless a quick get away.  My crappy  cartoon scribbling might explain better.  “Room to move” inside frame, or “Speedy exit” out of frame.  

I hope that makes sense.  Am up at a ridiculous hour installing stupid iOS updates to three devices.  iOS 11 updates seem to come every two days.  Don’t like Tim Cook’s Apple, but family likes facetime.

---
    Edit: weeding out old imgur files.  PM broken links.

Post edited by Tynkere on
    Tynkere said:

@ Daybird

Thank you for the kind words.  You’re too modest though.  By my count, you’re our leader with the most featured renders.  Given the competition here that’s no small accomplishment!

The following might sound corny, but I think you are also a ‘leader’ in the sense you always include everyone and point out strengths in a render and areas for improvement.  They should make you a CV!  (I heard a rumor that DAZ gives their CVs free Quadro P6000 cards.  Ha!  I'm sure Kismet would say, "Yeah, I wish!"  laugh)

@ Kismet

Well all of us (if we try to help one another) are kind of like editors imo.  They aren’t mean or anything (at least the ones I worked with) they just have a tough decision to make.  Will a photo, or a story get students to read college newspaper?  Will an ad or image ‘hook’ a reader and help client sell product?  Probably high stress for them.  I’m glad I’m out of the pre-press business.  

Am semi-retired now, and work for a temp agency as a statistician of all things!  Very fortunate to have had two careers.  When the temp lady calls, I have the luxury of declining if I have family visiting or whatever.

But OK!  I won’t type ‘editor’ anymore! 

To topic:
    I found a Poser asset of an old telephone with rigged cord.  Hiding it behind table makes a shadow tho.  Will try d-Form next to get some practice.  Too much cord looks distracting.  It's a magic lamp.  ; )

@ Shinji

Woah!  Wicked glass sword, and flashlight or pointer?  Prefer a plasma gun myself but maybe firearms + natural gas lines (if they’re in sewer) would make a big Boom!

I like him though.  Good posing and everything.  But where do you get all these props?  Bet you and Chameo must have thousands!

@ Noswen

I like it!  Like Shinji, good posing for her on bike, parenting and getting angle on bike + Y axis.  Cool lilghts on it.  Did you make them?  Some neat reflections on the front wheel.

Are you planning to add some stuff behind her?  I’ll share a bit about rule of thirds, but please don’t take it wrong way.  I don’t want to sound like a know it all, or insult your intelligence if already know.

In cartoons or photography, general rule of thumb is if subject is facing left-- he needs ‘room’ in the frame for movement unless a quick get away.  My crappy  cartoon scribbling might explain better.  “Room to move” inside frame, or “Speedy exit” out of frame.  

I hope that makes sense.  Am up at a ridiculous hour installing stupid iOS updates to three devices.  iOS 11 updates seem to come every two days.  Don’t like Tim Cook’s Apple, but family likes facetime.

That's fair Tynkere.  We are all "Editors" in our own way.  And we all see different things.  One of the things I really enjoy is reading other's views on an image.  Someone almost always points something out I missed entirely.

I was just hoping to encourage a different persepective but I know I end up in a "box" of thinking and doing and setting up when working on my own images.

@Everyone:  You are all doing a great job.  You are going to make judging difficult...again.

Haha, flattering words Tynkere, but when you post long enough pics, it's normal that one or another of them will win a price. I know I'm not bad, but I also see if someone have more talent and a better understanding than myself.

You and shaneseymourstudio are really good and often enough, one of the other member here do something, where I can only say wow... how do they did it.

In the beginning it was a main goal from me to 'win' but now I like to see, what people do. Learn from mistakes or great ideas from them.
    Every evening I look at this thread and enjoy the works or comments. It's a great community here and I'm enjoyable surprised how nice the atmosphere is between all the members.

Had an idea for a new character to add to my sewer sceen, but figured I'd try him out by himself first in a seperate location.

Hihi, I thought the same how Tynker. You must have a real arsenal of props only for figures. All the cool stuff your guys are wearing, must take a terabyte space on your hard disk. *gg*

The guy looks great and his shield is a fits great with the forearm sword  ( modern gladiator outfit. )      

What i find really cool, is the fire shader right above him on the opening. where did you get him, or is it a prop?

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited January 2018

I used this from over at Renderosity. It was made for M4, but I found that If you have the M4 morph set to G2M the gauntlets line up just fine. Parent to the respective forearms like you'd do with M4 and pose. Other then that I did a little retexturing for Iray on them.

And as for having a terabyte of space, I have about that between my 3 drives, and one of them is almost full with my Itunes stuff taking up about a 4th of my overall space.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • Don't all laugh!  I am posting my very first effort.   All done in Daz3d.  Name haeb_first.jpg

haeb_first.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 368K
    edited January 2018

@ Kismet

Yes, I learned something from you that’s probably far more important than anything DS, or the challenge.  Old ways of thinking can be hard to break (for me at least.)  Had this “pass/fail” or “run it / toss it” stuck in my brain from old pre-press days in late 90’s.  Who says you can’t teach some fuddy-duddy in his 50s to be a bit more flexible!

@ Daybird

Hmmm.... Both of you have given me plenty to think about.

Talent is subjective don’t you think?  I mean who is more “talented” ?  Rembrandt or Michelangelo?  I don’t think anyone can really say.  People can say they prefer one to the other of course, but saying one is more “talented” -- don’t know that it’s possible!  Same might be true about comparing oneself to others.  Can you compare finger prints and say “one’s better than the other” ?  Of course not!  I don’t see renders being that much different.  They’re all unique like our fingerprints right?   Hope that makes sense.  

Anyway, looks like we have similar attitudes about the challenge.  My enjoyment is meeting others, maybe going OT a little, and of course seeing what they come up with.  I also might be at a stage in life where I want to give back to others-- that’s my real reward. smiley

@ Shinji

A TB of music?   Wow.  Sounds like enough-- 24/7 for a decade!  

edited December 2018

Well here is-- unless anyone sees room for improvement-- I’m always open to suggestions.   Finally figured out lamp cord, changed glossiness on Owen a bit, and used Shane’s tip to add extra surface to stupid lamp. It looked a little plain jane and I wanted to try it.  Very handy tool!

Life’s Small Pleasures
    DS 4.10 | IRay
    PS 10.0.2 - edit shirt distortions & poke-throughs

Products:

Set:
    Modern Home Deluxe 1

Architect character:
    Owen 8
    Osher Hair G8M
    ST Shoes
    ST Shirt
    TnC Pants

Daughter:
    G3F
    Growing Up for G3F (6 y.o. preset)
    Voss Hair for G3F
    Trail Running Shoes G3F
    HOJeans
    HOShirt

Props:
    Antique Architect Set
    PEO Private Eye Props (filing cabinet)
    Treasury of Books (books)
    Industrial Clutter Pack (clipboard, pencil & calculator)
    Patio Dining (coffee/teacup)
    The Works Props Megapack (picture frame)
    Ockham’s “1960s Office Equipment & Old Phones” free at ShareCG - Thank you!

---
    Edit: Weeding out old imgur files.  PM broken links.

_000_LifesSmallFavorsFinal.jpg
    1949 x 1462 - 1M

Don't all laugh!  I am posting my very first effort.   All done in Daz3d.  Name haeb_first.jpg

It can be scary posting that first image. It is a very good start. 

Your character's legs need to be adjusted a bit.  His left foot is intersecting the base he is sitting on.

My eyes are drawn right to your character's face.

This is a very nice start.

Tynkere said:

Well here is-- unless anyone sees room for improvement-- I’m always open to suggestions.   Finally figured out lamp cord, changed glossiness on Owen a bit, and used Shane’s tip to add extra surface to stupid lamp. It looked a little plain jane and I wanted to try it.  Very handy tool!

Life’s Small Pleasures
    DS 4.10 | IRay
    PS 10.0.2 - edit shirt distortions & poke-throughs

Products:

Set:
    Modern Home Deluxe 1

Architect character:
    Owen 8
    Osher Hair G8M
    ST Shoes
    ST Shirt
    TnC Pants

Daughter:
    G3F
    Growing Up for G3F (6 y.o. preset)
    Voss Hair for G3F
    Trail Running Shoes G3F
    HOJeans
    HOShirt

Props:
    Antique Architect Set
    PEO Private Eye Props (filing cabinet)
    Treasury of Books (books)
    Industrial Clutter Pack (clipboard, pencil & calculator)
    Patio Dining (coffee/teacup)
    The Works Props Megapack (picture frame)
    Ockham’s “1960s Office Equipment & Old Phones” free at ShareCG - Thank you!

The smallest of adjustments can make such a huge difference.

• Ok, maybe I wasn't clear on what space I have for my computer. I have 2 238GB drives built into my laptop that I use one of them is almost full (less then 4GB left) of music, and videos (tv/movies) in my Itunes library. My external drive has 465GB of space, so like I said earlier I have about a TB total between all three drives and about a 4th of that is used by Itunes give or take. If I had a TB of music and whatnot from Itunes I wouldn't have space for anything else at all on my laptop. But on the other hand the coment of 24/7 jams for a decade reminded me of how I'd use my brakes/lunch to watch something on my first laptop (I'm currently on my third.), back when I was working 8 hour shifts with a half hour lunch brake. I'd pick a show and start it up during my first brake, pause when I had to return to work, contenue watching while I ate my lunch pausing until I came back for my final brake at which time I finished what I was watching. I kept the laptop in sleep mode when I was away so it wouldn't run out of power.  Most of the time I was watching Mythbusters (they make up the bulk of my tv library if broken down by number of epasodes. I have almost 100 episodes with the original guys. I've watched some with the new team, but it's not the same for me. They're mythbusters, but not THE MYTHBUSTERS. So while I might watch them It's not the same for me.)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

Don't all laugh!  I am posting my very first effort.   All done in Daz3d.  Name haeb_first.jpg

Nobody's laughing at all. You've made a nice start. yes

You might consider a tighter crop, to make the character stand out more in the composition. Maybe consider  a different aspect ratio (more of a portrait aspect - taller than wide) to cut out some of the extraneous areas on the sides of the image. You can change the aspect ratio in the Render Settings on the General tab, if you want to try that.

Welcome to the fun!

Think you’ll like it here.  Lots of good advice & friendly people.

Cool idea by the way.  He's in a giant glass gazing ball, or something?  I'd have never thought of something like that! 

Best wishes!

--Bruce

Hi Harry (hope it's ok to shorten your name)

How the other say, don't be nervous. This is a great start for a first render. I like the idea and how it looks. It has something from a genie and much more of Harry Potter.
    Yes one of the foots need a little adjustment and the podest should be a little smaler or the building a little bigger to avoid the intersection from the podest in the columns.
    To use another aspect ratio may be a good idea, but I find it also great if you put people in the empty places who stare at him.

@daybird: Thanks. It's kind of hard to get the hair to do much as it's a bit short, so I might end up changing that to a different style so it can show motion better. And will be adding one or two people, a crowd would probably blow past my graphics card and turn it into a CPU render nightmare (and my CPU is not new by any means).

@Shinji Ikari 9th: Um... hope that's a good thing :-)

@Tynkere: Thanks. I definitely didn't make these props, I haven't actually tried to do any making of anything yet, just putting them together, though the pose was done from scratch. Don't worry, you're not going to insult me by giving advice, I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to any of this laugh. Everything you said makes full sense, the effect I was going for (not that I knew about the general rule) was for her to be out-pacing the camera (motion blur needs to be added still), no idea if that's a good idea or not.

@harrybroomhall: We've all been there with our first renders, so we won't laugh. In addition to what kismet siad the snowglobe is also overlapping with some parts of the environment such as the pillars and some leaves, probably the easiest way to get around that would be to shrink the snowglobe's and the figure's scale down a bit, but not sure what side effects that might have.

• Thanks for the comments everyone.

@Kismet  I was aware of the foot being somewhat cut off.  My excuse is that he is sitting in a snowglobe, and I assumed the base was actually snow, so the foot could be buried a bit!   <grin>

I might experiment a bit with changing the size of the snowglobe and see how it comes out.  I included some of the panels from the 'Alcove' as I felt it added to the atmosphere.

I also need to think about lighting - I've only just got to the 'Lights' section of the UserGuide so I need to experiment a bit with that.

Harry.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Thanks for the comments everyone.

@Kismet  I was aware of the foot being somewhat cut off.  My excuse is that he is sitting in a snowglobe, and I assumed the base was actually snow, so the foot could be buried a bit!   <grin>

I might experiment a bit with changing the size of the snowglobe and see how it comes out.  I included some of the panels from the 'Alcove' as I felt it added to the atmosphere.

I also need to think about lighting - I've only just got to the 'Lights' section of the UserGuide so I need to experiment a bit with that.

Harry.

I like that idea with the snowglobe, it has something surreal to it

if there are enough polys on that snowglobe "bottom" you could try adding a d-former and push it a bit down where the boy sits, or you really pursue the snow idea ( brr he must be cold then) you might want to add a snow sprincle inside the globe , that would make it easier to think of the bottom as snow

Tynkere said:

The smallest of adjustments can make such a huge difference.

Ohh nooo the big cup is gone.crying

Yeah I know, the small espresso cup fits better in her hand and to his italian style, but I find it much more cuter how she holds the big cup in her hand.

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

The first and last months of the year are super-busy ones for my business, and I usually don't mind that at all. This year, I hate that it's kept me from participating as much in the challenges I enjoy so much. I'm trying to do a bit of a catchup here, but don't be offended if I miss someone - people have been really productive this month!

@Daybird - That's a great story for your orcess, and a nice composition on the render. I especially like the expression on the face of the girl in the foreground.

@noswen - Great posing on both the bike and rider, and nice lighting. Something about the camera angle is a little unsettling, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I keep wanting to move myself a little to the left to get a better perspective on it - but that's just my eyes, I'm sure. The angle of the bike lines up with the angle of the street, so it -shouldn't- be bothering me.

@harry - Welcome aboard! The community in here is great - super helpful and lots of good advice sharing going on. I'm a big fan of snowglobe enclosures, so I love your first render and see nothing at all to laugh about. You should have seen MY first tries. Kismet suggested cropping the sides a little to focus more attention on your boy there. Maybe when you're doing that, play with the camera angle just a bit to see how you like it when the globe is a little off-center, or the character isn't looking directly out at the camera.

@shinji - I'm the contrary one here. I actually LIKED the glowing green slime in your first attempts. I also like the figure coming out of the elevator in your later one, but my old eyes have trouble picking out the other figures. One of the reasons I seem to comment less on your renders is exactly that - I know I'm not seeing them properly. That said, I REALLY like your latest character and am waiting to see where you place him!

@Tynkere - Bruce, you started out with a great idea, and it's been fun watching you pull it all together and fill in the details. I _never_ would have thought about the missing cord on the lamp, for example, but it really brings the realism level up. Owen's pose is perfect - casual and realistic. The ONLY thing I see that feels a little off is the back of Owen's hair - got a little static going on to make it stick out like that?

As for me - I ran my first render by Kismet before posting it, and she judged it (as I suspected she would) as a little too "sexy" for the forums. I'm still deciding if I want to modify the pose and post the modified version or do another one entirely. We'll see!

Chameo said:

The first and last months of the year are super-busy ones for my business, and I usually don't mind that at all. This year, I hate that it's kept me from participating as much in the challenges I enjoy so much. I'm trying to do a bit of a catchup here, but don't be offended if I miss someone - people have been really productive this month!

@Daybird - That's a great story for your orcess, and a nice composition on the render. I especially like the expression on the face of the girl in the foreground.

@noswen - Great posing on both the bike and rider, and nice lighting. Something about the camera angle is a little unsettling, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I keep wanting to move myself a little to the left to get a better perspective on it - but that's just my eyes, I'm sure. The angle of the bike lines up with the angle of the street, so it -shouldn't- be bothering me.

@harry - Welcome aboard! The community in here is great - super helpful and lots of good advice sharing going on. I'm a big fan of snowglobe enclosures, so I love your first render and see nothing at all to laugh about. You should have seen MY first tries. Kismet suggested cropping the sides a little to focus more attention on your boy there. Maybe when you're doing that, play with the camera angle just a bit to see how you like it when the globe is a little off-center, or the character isn't looking directly out at the camera.

@shinji - I'm the contrary one here. I actually LIKED the glowing green slime in your first attempts. I also like the figure coming out of the elevator in your later one, but my old eyes have trouble picking out the other figures. One of the reasons I seem to comment less on your renders is exactly that - I know I'm not seeing them properly. That said, I REALLY like your latest character and am waiting to see where you place him!

@Tynkere - Bruce, you started out with a great idea, and it's been fun watching you pull it all together and fill in the details. I _never_ would have thought about the missing cord on the lamp, for example, but it really brings the realism level up. Owen's pose is perfect - casual and realistic. The ONLY thing I see that feels a little off is the back of Owen's hair - got a little static going on to make it stick out like that?

As for me - I ran my first render by Kismet before posting it, and she judged it (as I suspected she would) as a little too "sexy" for the forums. I'm still deciding if I want to modify the pose and post the modified version or do another one entirely. We'll see!

I'm still waiting for the steam to clear on my monitor.  wink

edited December 2018

@ Kismet

I foolishly thought I was done.  Not!  Words of wisdom I guess.  And now you and Chameo have me curious... What is that steamy render?    

@ Daybird

That’s why I like it here.  Never can tell what people will like.  Had scaled cup to 150% just to making posing her hand easier.  Forgot to scale it back down.  Ooops!  Then come to find out small child with adult sized cup might be part of the charm.    Ok, back to 150% then...  : )

@ Chameo

Good to see you again.  Had wondered if still busy.  You would catch his hair though.  Busted!  Of all things DS, I hate 36 sliders and virtual hairdoos.  But it's a fair call... Find out which one controls Owen’s ‘windswept’ look.  Static electricity is kind of funny.  Back to Kismet’s small details make a difference I guess.

@ Shinji

Mythbusters!  I liked that show too & would binge on it, back when Discovery channel ran back to back episodes.  Fav was Jamie dressed in HazMat suit & self contained breathing.  No escaped convict would have that, but is it even possible to evade a trained bloodhound from Dept. of Corrections?  Nope!  

Anyway, that inspired a “Wonder What The Hyneman Is Doing” moment.  Probably retired now, and living a life of luxury in the Bay area.  Since I’d just gotten ‘Old Chap’ for a different project, figured I’d pair him with Vicky.  Couldn’t find trademark beret tho.

@ Noswen

Thanks! Glad you took pointers right way.  Have only been here since October so was worried,  “Who does this guy think he is?”  

Don’t encourage me though-- composition is a favorite topic from cartoons & ‘pho-tag.’ 

Sinji mentioning MythBusters inspired a render and figured I’d share the following...  Kismet, other CVs or any Contestant can tell me to be quiet. 

This Is Not An Offical Entry

Diagonal lines can form imaginary triangles.  “Triangulation” can help “frame in” your subject, or whatever you want viewer to take a second glance at.

Starting from the top of garage, one diagonal goes to her neck/shoulder, across chest to arm that’s at same angle with garage.  Follow it (hopefully) to his shoulder & down where he’s giving the ‘thumbs up.’ 

His arm is more or less at same diagonal.  (Don’t want to be too obvious about it.)  If lucky, the eye follows from his elbow to the little bird on the moped.  Why is the bird even in there right?  In real life, it would fly away.  It's there to hopefully get viewer to stop scanning left.  The eye might glance up the vertical line of house.  Hopefully the eye gets redirected by diagonal of house’s roof back to Vicky. 

Now they are “framed” or grouped.  I usually wouldn’t be so obvious about it.  Looks too ‘posed’ for lack of better word, but hopefully explains concept.  Diagonals can be very useful when done more subtly imo...   

Hope that made sense.  “Modern house” is a fun set, and I’m really enjoying “Old Chap.”  smiley

Motion Blur:

I’m hoping someone will chime in here and help us.  Would open up a lot of possibilities.  Here’s hoping you can pull it off.  That way I can use it too. devil

Thanks everyone, for putting up with long post.  Last time at playing 'art teacher' -- promise!

--Bruce

---
    Edit: Weeding out old imgur files.  PM broken links.

Unfortunately at this time, unless things have changed, motion blur is not available in Iray renders.  It can be done using 3Delight.

That is a great, quick, how to on leading lines Bruce.  Thanks for sharing that image.