Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    Artini said:

This has a nice look -- somewhere between toon and toys. I appreciate that you gave the different poses, some subtle some not, which really work for a bunch of people just waiting on a train. The one thing that doesn't work for me is the dual shadows on the fence. In reality, the sun would be casting a single shadow, so the second shadow (the one falling toward us) is a bit of a distraction. This is a minor point, though. I am definitely impressed with the clean linework you got in this render. Nicely done.

Thanks. Yes, I have to check that dual shadows on the fence - it bother me, too.

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    edited January 2018

Character revamp

Character potrait art.jpg
    2100 x 3150 - 598K
    ani concept art 2.jpg
    2100 x 3150 - 1M
    Post edited by Sammagi on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

The Wolverine

The Wolverine by tkdrobert

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,001

Character revamp

This looks amazing! I really like how clean the cell shading is!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited January 2018
    head wax said:

thankyou Mr mmitchell_houston ​ ;)

looking forward to more of your work

Thanks! Work has been crazzzy! I had a rush deadline for my work recently. Stuff that was originally scheduled for 5 days was suddenly needed in 3. Just the usual crazy stuff. I'm looking forward to sitting down and getting back to work on my comic.

yes here too, lucky I finished all the work for my show a few months ago othersie I would have crashed and burned....

this image my first go with the New fluid plugin for Carrara in action (free plugin) - didnt have much time for post work

more data on plugin here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/220631/fluidos-plugin-for-carrara/p1

Post edited by Headwax on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895

A npr render in Vue Complete I did a year or two ago. Car is a free Sketchup model of a 1953 Chevrolet low rider from 3DWarehouse.

kenmo said:

A npr render in Vue Complete I did a year or two ago. Car is a free Sketchup model of a 1953 Chevrolet low rider from 3DWarehouse.

Love classic cars. heart

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    kenmo said:

A npr render in Vue Complete I did a year or two ago. Car is a free Sketchup model of a 1953 Chevrolet low rider from 3DWareho

Well done, I love your style a lot!

:)

edited January 2018

I watched this recording of a Smith-Micro webinar on Youtube. Artist Tasos Anastasiades show his technique for doing his comic books and graphic novels.

He was influenced by Brian Haberlin's process...

Post edited by kenmo on
    tkdrobert said:
    kenmo said:

Love classic cars. heart

Art, classic cars, hot rods, comic books, art deco, era of Bettie Page pinup art....  all seem to go hand in hand... :-)

edited January 2018
    kenmo said:

A npr render in Vue Complete I did a year or two ago. Car is a free Sketchup model of a 1953 Chevrolet low rider from 3DWareho

Well done, I love your style a lot!

Thanks kindly... I've not been doing much 3D lately as I'm still processing photos from summer past (car show, landscapes, scenes, etc)...

Here's another free Sketchup model rendered a couple of years back in Vue Complete with Vue's npr option...

Post edited by kenmo on
    edited January 2018

Tom Fritz is one of my most favorite automotive/hot rod artists... IMHO what Frank Frazetta is to fantasy art, Tom is to car/hot rod art...He has a very loose painting style I would love to recreate in my 3D car renderings...

Tom Fritz's website

My feeble attempt to emulate Tom Fritz  using a photograph I took at a car show (2014 Atlantic Nationals, Moncton, New Brunswick Canada) and Lightroom CC (process raw photo), Photoshop CC and Topaz Studio Impression...

Frazetta, Fritz and Norman Rockwell....three of my most favorite modern painters....

Now when it comes to comic book artists I have many...

Barry Windsor-Smith

Moebius

Jack Kirby

Jim Starlin

Dave Stevens (Rocketeer, Bettie Page)

Paul Chadwick (Darkhorse's Concrete)

Gil Kane

John Buscema

Will Eisner

Richard Corben

Virgil Finlay

Are some of my favorites....

Post edited by kenmo on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    tkdrobert said:

Confront Your Demons.  You can't hide from your demons, but you can defeat them.

Confront Your Demons

IRAY Render, filtered in Topaz Studio with some post work in Photoshop and Clip Paint Studio.  This is a little more psychadelic than I usually do because it's suppose to represent the human psyche not reality.

This is awesome.

edited January 2018
    tkdrobert said:

Confront Your Demons.  You can't hide from your demons, but you can defeat them.

Confront Your Demons

IRAY Render, filtered in Topaz Studio with some post work in Photoshop and Clip Paint Studio.  This is a little more psychadelic than I usually do because it's suppose to represent the human psyche not reality.

This is awesome.

Thank you.  I would say this is my most artsy and meaningful renders.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    tkdrobert said:
    head wax said:

Carrara Job

I feel sad for him.

This is really evocative. 

tkdrobert said:
    Artini said:

Lori rendered in Daz Studio iray and filtered afterwards in Topaz Simplify.

https://www.daz3d.com/lori-for-genesis-8-female

Very nice, looks like color pencils.

Love the color choices for her clothing and hair.  Despite the fact that it looks like a drawing it has a sense of authenticity to it if that makes any sense.

Artini said:

Another render from Unity 3D - filtered afterwards in Topaz Simplify.

This really makes me want to sit down and binge on Warner Bro's cartoons.  Roadrunner and Bugs Bunny.  (thats a good thing by the way lol).  It definitely feels like that kind of cartoon image.

Oso3D said:

This is a line render (my thing) plus a shading render run through Fotosketcher (nothing fancier than 'make everything flat white')

I find that a good line render (whether 3dl or my thing or whatever), slightly blurred and applied lightly, can really enhance the detail that other purely filtering methods have trouble with.

This was mostly a test to see how well I could get the lining to work on a lot of flat surfaces edge on to the camera, which is where many systems fall down.

NICE! This method did a good job of maintaining the lines where they needed to go. Yes, there's a little blow-out on his hip, but as that's where a highlight would naturally fall, it's okay.

This is gorgeous. 

@magicjava - thank you for the detailed tutorial/info re how to use the geoshell.  The images you posted were very helpful.  

I made this image layering a GSO render and an iraytoon shader render.  I then fixed errors such as failure to put matts on the belt, lol.  Painted over a bit, and added a tiny bit of line art.  The rest is topaz filters.  The background is not mine.  My goal was to see whether I could achieve a manga style character with good outlining - which for the first time, I feel i did.  Because I was just playing around and testing, I didn't have a particular story or image idea in mind.  I regret that now because it would have been so much better with a real pose/storey behind it.  

Even if you didn't have a set story for this, most people read their own story into what they see anyway.  so while you mig

head wax said:

Carrara job - postwork in Nix and Topaz Impression - used a new plugin that converts Carrara hair to mesh which can then be used as replicator bases

tratidionally some of us have used Carrara hair for grass

image is 3000 wide if you feel like clicking

Really great feeling of traditional painting and a very serene feel to it.

Character revamp

Really like his eyes

head wax said:
    head wax said:

thankyou Mr mmitchell_houston ​ ;)

looking forward to more of your work

Thanks! Work has been crazzzy! I had a rush deadline for my work recently. Stuff that was originally scheduled for 5 days was suddenly needed in 3. Just the usual crazy stuff. I'm looking forward to sitting down and getting back to work on my comic.

yes here too, lucky I finished all the work for my show a few months ago othersie I would have crashed and burned....

this image my first go with the New fluid plugin for Carrara in action (free plugin) - didnt have much time for post work

more data on plugin here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/220631/fluidos-plugin-for-carrara/p1

This is amazing!

kenmo said:

Tom Fritz is one of my most favorite automotive/hot rod artists... IMHO what Frank Frazetta is to fantasy art, Tom is to car/hot rod art...He has a very loose painting style I would love to recreate in my 3D car renderings...

Tom Fritz's website

My feeble attempt to emulate Tom Fritz  using a photograph I took at a car show (2014 Atlantic Nationals, Moncton, New Brunswick Canada) and Lightroom CC (process raw photo), Photoshop CC and Topaz Studio Impression...

Frazetta, Fritz and Norman Rockwell....three of my most favorite modern painters....

Barry Windsor-Smith

Moebius

Jack Kirby

Jim Starlin

Gil Kane

John Buscema

Will Eisner

Richard Corben

Virgil Finlay

I like all three renders but this one in particular.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

tt

kenmo said:

Tom Fritz's website

Barry Windsor-Smith

Moebius

Jack Kirby

Jim Starlin

Gil Kane

John Buscema

Will Eisner

Richard Corben

Virgil Finlay

Terrific post (because I agree with so many of your choicessmiley).

Excellent use of Topaz on the hot rod.  Not feeble at all.

tkdrobert said:

Confront Your Demons

This is awesome.

Concur...this a brilliant work...

• magicjavamagicjava Posts: 152

Thank you!  I can remove it if it doesn't fit.

No need to do that! But I did start a photorealistic thread so people can show off their photorealistic renders.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited January 2018

Still tinkering...

There are two outline layers on a grayshaded layer passed through FilterForge's Crayon Master 2 filter.

Old London Pencil.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 521K
    Post edited by Oso3D on

tt

kenmo said:

Tom Fritz's website

Barry Windsor-Smith

Moebius

Jack Kirby

Jim Starlin

Gil Kane

John Buscema

Will Eisner

Richard Corben

Virgil Finlay

Terrific post (because I agree with so many of your choicessmiley).

Excellent use of Topaz on the hot rod.  Not feeble at all.

I only posted a photograph to illustrate what I would like to try an achieve with a 3D render... that's the type of look for my car renders...

Cheers and many thanks..

edited January 2018

Zar-Gor threatens Sugar City.

Post edited by magicjava on
    edited January 2018

Plasma Dragon eggs on the surface of the sun.

The entire picture was done using 3D Kirby Crackle that I created.

Post edited by magicjava on
    Oso3D said:

Still tinkering...

There are two outline layers on a grayshaded layer passed through FilterForge's Crayon Master 2 filter.

looks pretty good, be interesting if you could drop the line darkness or size for those distante buildings

magicjava said:

Plasma Dragon eggs on the surface of the sun.

The entire picture was done using 3D Kirby Crackle that I created.

interesting effect, can see it fitting in many places, I had to google 3D Kirby Crackle  :)

kenmo said:

I watched this recording of a Smith-Micro webinar on Youtube. Artist Tasos Anastasiades show his technique for doing his comic books and graphic novels.

He was influenced by Brian Haberlin's process...

great , thanks for sharing this

thanks IceDragonArt  and @Kenmo for the comments on my work too

Character revamp

very professional, I like the overall feel of this one

head wax said:

Character revamp

very professional, I like the overall feel of this one

Yeah. Some How-To tips on this would be nice.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited January 2018

Head wax: pretty easily; you can render a distance canvas and then use that as a mask for certain layers.

I actually did something along those lines in another image, where I masked the color layer and some detail over distance.

(I'm not convinced the effect works well for this specific image, but the principle should work for other stuff, like less detail in the distance.)

Traveling in Sands.jpg
    2600 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
    Oso3D said:

Head wax: pretty easily; you can render a distance canvas and then use that as a mask for certain layers.

I actually did something along those lines in another image, where I masked the color layer and some detail over distance.

(I'm not convinced the effect works well for this specific image, but the principle should work for other stuff, like less detail in the distance.)

Yes, it adds context but doesnt take away from the focal point. I always add too much stuff to my images so it's something I am learning :)

another Carrara job, a zillion edits in post, I u sed some of the stuff I learnt in  that poser video kenmo  posted - I didn't realise you could stack artistic filters in photoshop inside the filter window

there's also an old thread here on using render passes in compositing - it's a battle field but has gems https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54406/compositing-and-post-work-what-is-it-and-why-should-i-care/p7

This discussion has been closed.