Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ

Comments

• scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

Is there a new version of the DIM to go along with the changes? I wouldn't be asking, but it's extremely hard to tell what version of the DIM I have. The *only* version info I can find is in the finder's "get info" window, where it says "Ver. 1.0" However, with versions numbers that have lots of incremental updates, I may not be seeing the whole version number this way.

Looking at the website, I see the download says "DAZ3DIM_1.0.0.112_Mac32zip"

My attempt to download files tonight showed weirdness: the two items that *only* had the new format downloads Bast (sku: 1544) and Millenium Cat (sku: 1506) were the ones that didn't download.

• p05p05 Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

You should find V4 in the Content Library tab, under: Poser Formats>My Library>Figures>DAZ People

If you don't see her there, let me know and I'll help you tell DAZ Studio where to find your "My Library" folder.

ok ! i see her!! :-)

But how could import this to see with all genesis figures, in left side of screen within Figures, hair, lights, etc?

thank you!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Is there a new version of the DIM to go along with the changes? I wouldn't be asking, but it's extremely hard to tell what version of the DIM I have. The *only* version info I can find is in the finder's "get info" window, where it says "Ver. 1.0" However, with versions numbers that have lots of incremental updates, I may not be seeing the whole version number this way.

Looking at the website, I see the download says "DAZ3DIM_1.0.0.112_Mac32zip"

My attempt to download files tonight showed weirdness: the two items that *only* had the new format downloads Bast (sku: 1544) and Millenium Cat (sku: 1506) were the ones that didn't download.

1.0.0.112 is still the official release.

edited December 1969

You should find V4 in the Content Library tab, under: Poser Formats>My Library>Figures>DAZ People

If you don't see her there, let me know and I'll help you tell DAZ Studio where to find your "My Library" folder.

But how could import this to see with all genesis figures, in left side of screen within Figures, hair, lights, etc?

thank you!

Did you install Victoria 4 Base using DIM? Mine shows up in Smart Content under Default > Figures > People

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

thank you!

Did you install Victoria 4 Base using DIM? Mine shows up in Smart Content under Default > Figures > People
    Mine too...although make sure Genesis isn't selected first (otherwise she won't show up because she isn't a Genesis figure).

• IamJunYahIamJunYah Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I'd like to thank the rest of the Community Volunteers for their assistance with this. If you have trouble with any of the above, or questions about the process of getting DAZ Studio set up, feel free to ask here!

When u order Daz will the product be sent through the mail or is it purely an online transaction. I guess what I'm saying is do I have to wait for it to come in the mail or can I start to download it now. Because I don't want it through mail. If it is then is their a way I can cancel my order?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My Account then Product Library and there you are. Daz Studio ready to Download and install.

• IamJunYahIamJunYah Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    My Account then Product Library and there you are. Daz Studio ready to Download and install.

No shipping.

Just that easy huh?

Well that's great...

edited December 1969

All digital. No shipping. Enjoy.

• interfacedinterfaced Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Do I have to uninstall DS4Pro to install DS4.5Pro.
    Thanks.

edited December 1969

What I would recommend is to uninstall CMS (Content Management Service), then uninstall DS4, then follow the instructions in this thread to install DS4.5

It's not essential that you do it that way (if you don't uninstall first, the DS4.5 installer should remove the previous version of DS for you), but it should help avoid problems with the database. Actually, you may wish to back up the database first, particularly if you use custom categories.

• bshugs@hotmail.com[email protected] Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

I've recently upgraded my computer. I've been using DIM on my previous machine and kept all of the downloads. Can I just copy that folder ("Downloaded Installers", I think) to my new machine to avoid having to re-download all of the content again? Will there be any conflicts?
    Thanks in advance.

edited December 1969

I've recently upgraded my computer. I've been using DIM on my previous machine and kept all of the downloads. Can I just copy that folder ("Downloaded Installers", I think) to my new machine to avoid having to re-download all of the content again? Will there be any conflicts?
    Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can just install DIM on the new machine and copy over the downloads folder (C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads). If you also copy the ManifestFiles folder, then you can just copy over the entire content folder (e.g. My DAZ 3D Library) and DIM will know that you've already installed them,

• bshugs@hotmail.com[email protected] Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

Thanks. You're answer was so fast, I was able to read it before trying anything silly!

• edited December 1969

Hi,

I see people mentioning the content directory manager. I do not even have that as an option in Edit > Preferences. What am I doing wrong?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited May 2013

bobzub said:
    Hi,

I see people mentioning the content directory manager. I do not even have that as an option in Edit > Preferences. What am I doing wrong?

this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11176/#160953 will guide you through finding it.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Try this...

Capture5.png
    497 x 386 - 31K
    Capture4.png
    461 x 498 - 46K
    Capture3.png
    233 x 357 - 20K
    edited December 1969

here is with his fancy arrows.... :P

edited May 2013

Szark said:
    here is with his fancy arrows.... :P
    You just jealous, is my other Sharp pointy things...
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I know I wants them too...your fancy arrows that is. :)

edited May 2013

Szark said:
    I know I wants them too...your fancy arrows that is. :)
    Ok, I'll spill my secret. Is a Paint Shop Pro default Vector shape, from version 7. I still use it for fast editing. So now you and ALL the forums know my pointer thing. Now figure out my Text that matches. Hint PSP 7 too. %-P
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

PSP nope never used it, but thanks anyway. I am happy sticking with GIMP and PS

• edited December 1969

Thanks for your replies. Seems the reason I was not able to see the option in preferences was due to using the beta layout. I switched the layout and was able to get to the content directory manager.

• theartisttheartist Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thank you S-L. :-)
    couldn't have done it w/o your 'klartext'

the confirm email from DAZ leads one right to the install manager.
    not knowing any better i installed it first. bad idea. (as one of the posts mention)

thanx

• ThornsberryhomeThornsberryhome Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

this looked like it may be a good thing. but so far it is nothing but a mess. i keep finding help on how to download the program, but nothing matches the direction. looks like lots of bugs just in the initial setup. If they cannot get their act together just for a simple down-lode of the program I'll bet the rest is a bigger mess. :P

edited December 1969

this looked like it may be a good thing. but so far it is nothing but a mess. i keep finding help on how to download the program, but nothing matches the direction. looks like lots of bugs just in the initial setup. If they cannot get their act together just for a simple down-lode of the program I'll bet the rest is a bigger mess. :P

What in particular are you having trouble with? The software and the website have both undergone changes over time. Some of the instructions out there (while still mostly accurate) may not match what you are seeing because of the changes that were made after the instructions were written. I'm trying to keep this one up-to-date, so if something doesn't seem right, please let me know and I'll look into it for you.
  • manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
    edited May 2013

hi ^^ - i just got an email announcing the "new" DAz studio 4.6.
    i checked my own version i installed a few months ago, from the .exe install file i kept, seems it's DAZStudio_4.5.1.56_Win32. so i went to my product library, and there it was! there where previously the 4.5 version was listed, i could download this new version.

so.. what am i supposed to do with it? seems a bit different from usual software updates, that run kinda automatic, and overwrite whatever version you already have. and since it's only an .exe file, no readme.

should i deinstall the old 4.5 version (omg please NOT that)?
    will this one just update itself, like "integrate" itself aka overwrite my existing 4.5 version?
    i already have an old daz 3.x version i never use(d) from my first attempt with daz - i'm not sure i want parallel 3.x, 4.5, and 4.6 versions all on my HD..

what about all plugins that came with 4.5, is there no problem there, aka don't i lose anything? i myself haven't bought any, and i think no freestuff either.

and since i haven't installed the DIM yet as i wanted last weekend, guess it's wiser to first cater to the update, and then install the DIM? ~

Post edited by manekiNeko on
    edited December 1969

I just installed 4.6 yesterday, and it does automatically uninstall 4.5 as part of the process.

After installing the updated version, you should also install the latest version of Genesis Starter Essentials (you can do this manually, or using DIM). Generally speaking, when updating software it may be safer to uninstall first, then install the updated version. I haven't heard any official recommendation whether that is advisable in this specific situation, though. I didn't uninstall DS4.5 first...so far things are working for me. :)

See the official thread for more information: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22156/

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
    edited December 1969

thank you a lot Scott! :)
    why did i miss this official thread published 1 day prior anyway... too excited about the news (aka unnerved at having to mess with DAZ) i guess... ;)

• pdarukpdaruk Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Hi everybody,
    I've been using DAZ Studio for couple of years but always hesitating with moving on to new version. Now I'm still using DAZ Studio 3.0 but I'd like to to install 4.6. What holds me back is loosing all my old scenes saved in 3.0
    Whenever I build a character (Figure + morphs + textures + clothes etc.) I save it as scene and I don't know how to transfer them to new version of Daz Studio. I hope my description make sense ;) I've been trying to find solution by my own but without any luck. Could you help?