Carrara Challenge #37 - Dungeons Deep - WIP Thread

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited January 2018

Coming into the final stretch, only a few days left!  :)  So, sprinkling in a few more of my favs from past challenges to lend a bit of 'dungeon' flavor.

I know a lot of dungeon-style renders are based on fantasy, but the idea of such a thing as 'Carrara 9' is almost becoming unbelievable myth at this point laugh  Here's a great one from Dustrider:

Here's a great one from Vysur.  Our intrepid adventurer is about to come face to face with the dreaded Gargoyles of the Baskervilles.  I've been on a kick lately where I've incorporated a lot more of Carrara's 'aura' effect into my renders, I think it can really make a fantasy render pop.  I don't know if that's what Vysur used here, but whatever it is, it really works to make those Gargoyles fearsome and vibrant:

I've referenced it before, but some of the best dungeon adventures can take place on other planes (there's a whole D&D setting called Planescape built around just this concept).  Here's one from Bunyip in the last challenge that I found particularly striking:

At first blush, you might not think a well-lit daylight scene set in a modern/sci-fi setting could have a 'dungeon' feel to it, but anyone who's read Altered Carbon or any other good cyberpunk sci-fi knows differently (For those who haven't read it, 'Altered Carbon' by Richard K Morgan has been made into a Netflix tv series that will release first of February, so it's been on my mind as that's one of my all time favorite scifi novels).  This one was done by Philemo:

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Vyusur said:

Andrew, very impressive! What keeps you inside?

thanks Veronica!  Oh just my addiction to making pictures!

Stezza said:
    head wax said:

here's me in my studio praying to be let out for a surf

very good... nice to see you showed a waft of smoke from the bushfire at yours also.... genious... yes

thanks we are having fried missionaries tonight!!

still working on final lighting.

indirect lighting makes test renders slow.

yes rig up a false set if you can (ie fake gi)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Alberto said:

Alberto, always great to see you entering.  So far it looks intriguing.  What, no fluid? smiley

No, no fluids this time... but the lights are only LightXs ! smiley

Alberto, you will have to forgive me, as I was unaware of your LightX product until just now.  I found your thread which I somehow missed completely.  Hope to give it a try soon.  Too many things on my list!!!

head wax said:

I just love it when you casually drop in with something kick-ass like this.  One of your best ever, and that is saying something.  Great posing, composition, textures, lights, pathos - the whole package.

You gonna post the Carrara setup files?  How you dood it?  I'm guessing that this is not "no postwork." smiley

• the render

• the render

egyptian doom with vickys1.png
    2000 x 1500 - 4M

the render

Looks great Shlomi, was this rendered in Octane?  My first guess is Octane was the renderer, but then the effects of the magical force that the sorceress on the right is using makes me think it might be Carrara native render, or maybe it's a combo of both.  smiley   

By the way, the way to make your pictures appear closer to full-size in the forums is to first do the attachment of the render, click on it and then on the full size pic right click and select 'copy image address', then go back and edit your post to include an image (it's the little symbol that looks like a square with 2 moutnains inside it) and use the url you copied of wherever your attachment pic goes to.  Took me forever before I figured this out, actually to be honest I never figured it out myself but ended up asking and some helpful Carrarists who are wiser and better at understanding how the forums worked told me :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198
    Stezza said:
    head wax said:

very good... nice to see you showed a waft of smoke from the bushfire at yours also.... genious... yes

Agreed. Just a gorgeous piece of work!

the render

Sweet!!!

err apologies thanks JonStark UB Bunyip02 et Dart - sorry didnt see your comments :(

the render

great sense of foreboding in this and a delightdul suprise with the tentacle :)

head wax said:

I just love it when you casually drop in with something kick-ass like this.  One of your best ever, and that is saying something.  Great posing, composition, textures, lights, pathos - the whole package.

You gonna post the Carrara setup files?  How you dood it?  I'm guessing that this is not "no postwork." smiley

hey thanks so much :)

It's got three lights - two bulbs for the background elements (135percent but only 12 foot - medium sized scene) and a spotlight

For the spotlight - I put a photograph of some clouds in the gel and ticked 'used gel' in the light cone box (see  pics) 

for post work I used waterelogue to get the watercolour look - drop result down quite a lot in the opacity because it screws up faces bigtime

I fine tuned contrast details and colour with Oloneohdr

I have it a warm bloom in photoshop elements with ... Opitikverve Labs Virtual Photographer

copied the whole lot and desaturated it because the guy's foot was now too red ( to keep saturation and contrast on the focal point)

then erased the centre of that desaturated layer to bring back some warmth in the middle

I ran this through Topaz Impression (custome filter can't remember sorry!)  and dropedd the result down to about 8 percent opacity

attached is the file without post work - didnt really need much work actually -

Oh I hit his trousers with a noise parameter in the alpha channale and that made them less clean

setup2.jpg
    1628 x 1094 - 1M
    setup1.jpg
    1897 x 1253 - 2M
    manprayingWIP.jpg
    1855 x 2000 - 2M
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794

the render

I hate to think what's in that sarcophagus !... sweet render

@head wax I think there is a typo in the title in the entry thread on this one.... maybe the second  he should be a who ?

Stezza said:

the render

I hate to think what's in that sarcophagus !... sweet render

@head wax I think there is a typo in the title in the entry thread on this one.... maybe the second  he should be a who ?

​Thanks Stezza I type English like an 14th century Russian Prince...... will fix :)

Coming into the final stretch, last day to put renders together!

Here's a few more of my favorites from prior challenges, that I think have a cool dungeon-y vibe:

Here's a brilliant one from 5th Element I've always loved.  Is she trapped on a derelict wreck, signalling for help?  Lonely and waiting for her tour of solitary service on the station to come to its end?  Perhaps she's just going about her normal workday, unaware that in the deep shadows something malevolent is watching...

Out for a stroll in a densely-wooded forest, when suddenly you catch a glimpse of something... fantastic.  It's startling, and then perhaps slightly charming, but all at once you are disconcerted by the thought that you're not just in a forest, but that you've instead managed to wander into a forest dungeon.  Beware!  This one is from Antara:

I guess fair is fair, and since I've been posting prior renders from others (without even having the common decency to ask permission first lol) I should probably put up one of mine too, to share the pain.  This is the first time I can remember combining both Octane and Carrara native into one render.  I'm torn about this one, as I thought the render was pretty decent, but I had no idea how to do graphic text, so ended up cobbling together some 3d text renders out of Carrara and superimposing them, and that part looks pretty terrible to my eyes.  If I had it to do over again, I'd definitely do the text differently:

While it's easy to see that sci-fi can be just as valid a genre for dungeons as any other, what if the dungeon isn't inside the ship itself, but rather the adventuring encounter with the unseen fiends takes place in the cold dark void of space?  Here's an explosive render from Pimpy that I've always thought was terrific:

great choices, I love that one from Antara!

head wax said:

Me too. Where is she, anyway? She okay? All of them are cool. We could use some more renders from 5th around here as well! And Pimpy! And JonStar.... oh! LOL!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    head wax said:

So do I!

• Jonstark said:

the render

Looks great Shlomi, was this rendered in Octane?  My first guess is Octane was the renderer, but then the effects of the magical force that the sorceress on the right is using makes me think it might be Carrara native render, or maybe it's a combo of both.  smiley   

By the way, the way to make your pictures appear closer to full-size in the forums is to first do the attachment of the render, click on it and then on the full size pic right click and select 'copy image address', then go back and edit your post to include an image (it's the little symbol that looks like a square with 2 moutnains inside it) and use the url you copied of wherever your attachment pic goes to.  Took me forever before I figured this out, actually to be honest I never figured it out myself but ended up asking and some helpful Carrarists who are wiser and better at understanding how the forums worked told me :)

carrara native render.

i think i also used: https://www.daz3d.com/gkd-skin-ultimate

and the setup is:

egyptian doom with vickys1 setup.png
    1220 x 878 - 442K
    edited January 2018
    Vyusur said:
    head wax said:

So do I!

a woman of taste :)

here's another more PR treatment of my dungeon chap

blackandwhitesr.jpg
    1855 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on

head wax said:
    Vyusur said:
    head wax said:

So do I!

Looks very good, but personally I actually like the first version better, something about it conveys more emotional content or... something (hard to explain I guess smiley)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2018

Quick update.  Changed the helmet to better display eyes and hair.  

Switched out the first version from the entry thread

brash 8 composite.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 665K
    Post edited by Diomede on

I don't know if it's my sick sense of humor or whether I'm just plain sick, but a stray comment someone made way back when stuck in my brain and got me thinking about a different kind of dungeon, the kind with girls in lingerie and dominatrixes, etc.  Of course I thought it would make a fine jest, so I had to make a render, but now I'm having second thoughts about posting it.  There's no nudity or anything particularly sexual, but eh, it just doesn't seem that appropriate, so I think I'll play it safe and hold off.

Diomede said:

Actually I really like the change, it helps sell the scene even more.  Also it seems darker/more threatening and forboding too, not sure why. The creature looks scarier in this version for some reason too.

head wax said:
    head wax said:

It's got three lights - two bulbs for the background elements (135percent but only 12 foot - medium sized scene) and a spotlight

For the spotlight - I put a photograph of some clouds in the gel and ticked 'used gel' in the light cone box (see  pics) 

for post work I used waterelogue to get the watercolour look - drop result down quite a lot in the opacity because it screws up faces bigtime

I have it a warm bloom in photoshop elements with ... Opitikverve Labs Virtual Photographer

copied the whole lot and desaturated it because the guy's foot was now too red ( to keep saturation and contrast on the focal point)

then erased the centre of that desaturated layer to bring back some warmth in the middle

I ran this through Topaz Impression (custome filter can't remember sorry!)  and dropedd the result down to about 8 percent opacity

Oh I hit his trousers with a noise parameter in the alpha channale and that made them less clean

Thanks for those generous details!  Very interesting workflow and practical tips.  Several things there I don't have (like Topaz which seems to show up a lot in my favorite renders of yours) but oh well.  I'm just happy to mostly grasp the process, as a year ago I wouldn't have understood a single thing. :)

Jonstark said:

head wax said:
    Vyusur said:
    head wax said:

So do I!

Looks very good, but personally I actually like the first version better, something about it conveys more emotional content or... something (hard to explain I guess smiley)

thank you :) yes suggestion is always more emotive that plain statement

head wax said:
    head wax said:

Thanks for those generous details!  Very interesting workflow and practical tips.  Several things there I don't have (like Topaz which seems to show up a lot in my favorite renders of yours) but oh well.  I'm just happy to mostly grasp the process, as a year ago I wouldn't have understood a single thing. :)

pleasure - their lots of tools out there and only a few nails :)

Diomede said:

this is good, you are focusiing in on the action

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

hairy cucumbers and kilts!