FLUIDOS plugin for Carrara -- version 1.4 update

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

The point force (Icon) arrows point inward , so a positive value would draw things into that point,. negative values force things away from that point,.

the point force can also be animated to move around in the scene.

Use low values,  the default carrara values are crazy,. try 50kg or less

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

The point force (Icon) arrows point inward , so a positive value would draw things into that point,. negative values force things away from that point,.

the point force can also be animated to move around in the scene.

Use low values,  the default carrara values are crazy,. try 50kg or less

• 3DMD3DMD Posts: 18
    edited January 2018
    PhilW said:

Hi Dart - have a go at loading and running this scene file. You will need to create your own folder for the fluid data but otherwise don't touch anything (you could increase the grid size to make it run faster initially).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3oafrrvlds04mdu/Fluidos Dart's Sphere.car?dl=0

Ok, guys; I downloaded this PhilW scene created from Dartanbeck's, and ran a simulation but all I got was the shpere moving up. I looked at Fluid Domain 1 and Fluid Domain 2 and discovered that Carrara had thrown them into infinite space (kind of) - which I have seen before with volumetric ojects though I don't know why.

imageimage

So what I did was delete those two fluid domains, rerun the simulation, then manually added back those two fluid doamins just as PhilW originally made them.

imageimage

I only changed the cell size to 0.5 as PhilW suggests. Now it works!

Oh, did I forget to thank Alberto for this fantastic plug in? Thanks!!! I hope someday to have the time and skill to do something like this. And of course, thanks to PhilW and Dartanbeck for all thie time you put into the forum for those of us who wish DAZ would just take Carrara to places it can obviously go, as evidenced by this plugin and thread with so many talented users showcasing their work. 

Screenshot (6)2.jpg
    701 x 539 - 88K
    Screenshot (6)4.png
    446 x 658 - 113K
    Screenshot (7)2.png
    695 x 528 - 198K
    Screenshot (7)3.png
    433 x 748 - 125K
    Post edited by 3DMD on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I had to delete those two viewer Fluid Domains and insert fresh ones. I think it may have been because they are Enabled in the scene, and I didn't realize that before I ran the simulation. You're right... Carrara sends their scales to incredibly tiny values (seen in the Motion tab)

It does work on my laptop (AMD with built-in Radeon), it seems. takes forever, so I couldn't let it finish. Maybe I'll set something up for when I'm sleeping.

Great news! Although it's not finished yet, Alberto was kind enough to have me test a new feature of the current build he and PhilW are testing - the ability to disable using OpenCL. He thought it might help my situation.

He was right!!! I'm currently rendering my first successful fluid simulation!

I don't know what's wrong with me. I kinda wanted to just do a Cell size of 0.5 and no diffuse particles. Instead I left Cell size default and reduced diffuse particle default by a factor of ten, so 10,000 max.

Sure it took a little while to calculate, but I expected it to.

Okay... before that I dud just kind of like PhilW's initial test in his video tutorial: Just a fluid domain, a sphere of fluid mass, and I didn't even put in an obstacle and set it to run for two seconds, fust to see if the gravity issue was fixed. That one I did run at 0.5 Cell size and no diffuse and was done really, really fast, even without the GPU.

Anyway... my simple first test looks pretty cool prior to shaders and render.... I look forward to seeing the rendered result!

Kudos Alberto!!! Thank You So Much!!! You Too, PhilW! You Too, everyone else helping me through this ordeal!!!

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,874

Great! Finally! laugh

And that new feature sounds interesting to me too! My GPU isn't very powerful and I would like to try CPU calculation!

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017

Hey Dart, can you check if the Intel OpenCL CPU drivers helps you get Fluidos to run (without disabling OpenCL)?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#latest_CPU_runtime

These drivers lets the CPU run OpenCL code, handy if the GPU is slow, but if the app cannot select the fastest device itself and the user cannot choose which OpenCL device to use, it does not help much...

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Dart - glad you have something working, now you can join in the fun!

Quick note on Surface Forces - positive values attract the fluid, negative values repel the fluid.

It's my turn to have problem with the simulation! *Jumps from the chair, mimics Superman, crashes on the floor*

I set up a scene, pretty complex animation but only one char who gets showered when sunbathing. The first test, without forces in any prop or char go smooth. But after applying the force to the char, the simulation fails at about 2.4% - 3.6%, Carrara totally freezes and I have to force-close it.

What's wrong?

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    Imago said:

It's my turn to have problem with the simulation! *Jumps from the chair, mimics Superman, crashes on the floor*

I set up a scene, pretty complex animation but only one char who gets showered when sunbathing. The first test, without forces in any prop or char go smooth. But after applying the force to the char, the simulation fails at about 2.4% - 3.6%, Carrara totally freezes and I have to force-close it.

What's wrong?

Imago said:

What's wrong?

Your computer or at least, it's RAM...

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381
    edited January 2018
    Imago said:

What's wrong?

It's a bug. But the update fixes it. Wait a little, please.

Post edited by Alberto on
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    3drendero said:
    0oseven said:
    3drendero said:

I just tested Fluidos on my PC with only an older Intel CPU, no graphics card. Just the shitty integrated Intel crap graphics that does NOT support OpenCL at all. 

Without the Intel OpenCL CPU drivers; FAIL. Fluidos gets stuck at 2%, does nothing else, no CPU or HDD load, no error code.
    With the Intel OpenCL CPU drivers: PASS. Fluidos works.
    Used these Intel OpenCL CPU runtime drivers: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#latest_CPU_runtime

Conclusion: Fluidos requires a working OpenCL driver installation, either GPU och CPU OpenCL works.
    Tools for testing if OpenCL works:
    GPU Caps: http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu_caps_viewer/
    LuxMark 3.1: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxMark#Binaries

Also laptops with both Intel and NVIDIA graphics enabled, should disable the Intel graphics, unless battery time in 2D is critical.
    Cannot run several other 3D apps due to incompatibilitites between Intel/NVIDIA, even the frickin NVIDIA control panel crashes on my laptop.

As suggested I  ran the ozone3d -viewer .Attached images show openCL results which I admit to having no real idea how to interpret . Hopefully  image detail is good enough for you to see results,  Image 1 is Nvidea and Image 2 is Intel.

You say to disable Intel graphics. I only know how to do this via the Nvidea control panel.ie make Nvidea the default graphics in the global setting.  Is there another way ? And of course I have set Carrara to run with Nvidea Graphics Card 

Check your manual on how to access BIOS and change the graphics setting to "Descrete graphics", that means only the NVIDIA graphics will be used.
    If you never accessed the BIOS before, it may look scary, try to find some youtube videos showing the BIOS with your particular model, to build some curage...

If BIOS still is too scary:
    I also see is that the Intel graphics driver is one year old and has an old OpenCL driver (although is seems to be working), get the latest Intel graphics driver from the Intel web site.
    Since Intel is busy patching security holes everywhere, there automatic driver download utility is offline and you need to find the right driver yourself.
    Again a little complicated, you need to know the model name of the GPU and what "CPU generation of the Core platform" it is, to select the right driver on the intel site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers

The Core platform names: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

--------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe something for Alberto, 007 has 2 sets of active OpenCL drivers (Intel and NVIDIA) and it seems that the Intel GPU drivers are listed as the first.
    Maybe that is one of the problems.

I finally found may way into bios through windows as apparently function keys dont work [ at least on my laptop ] Since W8 bios is accessed from windows itself.Having said that coulddn't see option to change anything to discrete graphics but I will have another look.

I'd really like Alberto's opinion about changing bios settings - should it be necessary just to get fluidos working ?   

3drendero said:

Hey Dart, can you check if the Intel OpenCL CPU drivers helps you get Fluidos to run (without disabling OpenCL)?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#latest_CPU_runtime

These drivers lets the CPU run OpenCL code, handy if the GPU is slow, but if the app cannot select the fastest device itself and the user cannot choose which OpenCL device to use, it does not help much...

Not for a Radeon card though... right?

PhilW said:

Quick note on Surface Forces - positive values attract the fluid, negative values repel the fluid.

Thanks for that! ;)

PhilW said:

Dart - glad you have something working, now you can join in the fun!

...and I did! Vegas is rendering my "Fluidos - First Look" video as we speak! Turned out really well for my first try. So as I used it the way I was explaining pages ago, I decided to work out how to screen capture it - which worked best to just do my work, paying attention to what I want to show, then record after. I think it turned out okay. Much better than most of my tuts anyway! LOL

Okay, it's live! I'm posting it here before I give it my first full 'sit-down-and-watch' session. So if it sucks, or made a mistake or whatever, please let me know! LOL

I've also included a link to this thread as well as Alvin's ShareCG gallery in the description. If I messed something up there, please let me know about that as well. Thanks! :)

edited January 2018
    0oseven said:

Maybe something for Alberto, 007 has 2 sets of active OpenCL drivers (Intel and NVIDIA) and it seems that the Intel GPU drivers are listed as the first.

I finally found may way into bios through windows as apparently function keys dont work [ at least on my laptop ] Since W8 bios is accessed from windows itself.Having said that coulddn't see option to change anything to discrete graphics but I will have another look.

I'd really like Alberto's opinion about changing bios settings - should it be necessary just to get fluidos working ?   

I don't think so. The problem in your case is nothing to do with OpenCL, because it is used during simulation calculation. But, for some unknow reason, the plugin cannot load the fluidsim.dll. At this point, 

Below is a simplified flux diagram of the Fluidos plugin. In red is the stage at which the error of loading is showed. In yellow is the stage when is initiated OpenCL only if the user want to continue a saved state; if not, it is initiated in blue stage. OpenCL is called to do calculations at the blue stage. This is way I don't think is a OpenCL issue, i.e, GPU issue.

flujo.jpg
    816 x 1056 - 46K
    Post edited by Alberto on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited January 2018

Brief play, didnt have much time, so no added spray etc, love this plugin thanks!!!

goldlad1y.jpg
    1418 x 1791 - 1M
    goldlad13y.jpg
    1600 x 1483 - 3M
    goldladheady.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    goldladheadnpry.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Stuck in awe again! This is one beautiful piece, and very cool workflow!

This plugin offers a lot of cool possibilities!

thanks Dart!  yes, considering this is my first real play I can see it going a zillion places in other hands 

head wax said:

thanks Dart!  yes, considering this is my first real play I can see it going a zillion places in other hands 

Me too. It was amazing to put a thought into the system and have it turn out so similar to what I was trying to achieve! Kudos to a fine system!

After watching my video, I see that a lot of the cool details of the water splashes got lost in the various video making process. I guess it still makes a point though. 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

The video was great Dart.  Most of it was way over my head, but it was very valuable seeing your workflow.  Never underestimate that.  And finally seeing some of your newer Rosie was a treat.  I wish that you would release some snippits at least, but that is a subject for another thread.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Great vid, Dart, loved seeing the effect of Rosie running through puddles!

Okay, it's live! I'm posting it here before I give it my first full 'sit-down-and-watch' session. So if it sucks, or made a mistake or whatever, please let me know! LOL

I've also included a link to this thread as well as Alvin's ShareCG gallery in the description. If I messed something up there, please let me know about that as well. Thanks! :)

Wow, you work very fast !

Alberto said:

Wow, you work very fast !

Indeed, thanks to FLUIDOS for CARRARA! ;)

Jonstark said:

Great vid, Dart, loved seeing the effect of Rosie running through puddles!

Thanks! And Rosie says thanks too! :)

The video was great Dart.  Most of it was way over my head, but it was very valuable seeing your workflow.  Never underestimate that.  And finally seeing some of your newer Rosie was a treat. 

Thank you, Sir!

I wish that you would release some snippits at least, but that is a subject for another thread.

I'm working toward just that. It's what's preventing me from doing other things, like making a cool Dungeon render :(   The horrible thing is that I've been rendering all sorts of things that would be perfect for a Dungeon-esque challenge... but right now it's just having Carrara create piles of gigbytes for the HDD to swallow, then onto more. 

I almost threw some of it into this, but it would have just been confusing and would have wrecked the release when it is actually ready.

Thanks for the support folks! yes

So cool!

Alberto said:
    0oseven said:

I don't think so. The problem in your case is nothing to do with OpenCL, because it is used during simulation calculation. But, for some unknow reason, the plugin cannot load the fluidsim.dll. At this point, 

Below is a simplified flux diagram of the Fluidos plugin. In red is the stage at which the error of loading is showed. In yellow is the stage when is initiated OpenCL only if the user want to continue a saved state; if not, it is initiated in blue stage. OpenCL is called to do calculations at the blue stage. This is way I don't think is a OpenCL issue, i.e, GPU issue.

edited January 2018

@  Alberto

Ah, nice! laugh thanks a lot!

@ Dart

Watching your video now, looks great!

Post edited by Imago on

wow ow wow ! Sorry didn't see this is amazing!!! 

Dart - very cool work and a great demo of compositing.