January 2018 New User 3D Art Challenge - Composition

Comments

• GeffeGeffe Posts: 63
    edited January 2018
    HighElf said:

Here it is. I couldn't get rid of this strange wavepattern in her hair. So I transitioned the right portion of her hair, behind her shoulder. Also I changed his Hairstyle a little bit to make a more natural looking point of contact on their foreheads.

Currently I'm thinking of lighting. Here I used two modified spotlights. A Key and a Rim Light, Both a set to a rectangular geometry and the Rim is illuminated as Diffuse only. My current Colortemperature is 3'200 Kelvin. I'm still not convinced by the color.

What your thoughts about this state of the picture?

The draping of the cloth in this looks very convincing, and the composition is simple yet effective (at least to my untrained eye). Getting hair to behave realistically is always a challenge, especially if they don't have much in the way of movement morphs, but I think the hair in your image looks pretty good.

The aspect ratio of this pic is the golden ratio (which is helpfully one of the presets in the render and camera settings), although I didn't use the spiral sections for the composition. Instead I used the rule of thirds. I don't know if everyone already knows this, but one of the posts in an earlier challenge pointed out that you can turn on a thirds guide from the dropdown menu in the top right of the viewport.

I also tried to use lighting to focus on the characters, especially the monster who I wanted to be lunging out of the dark.  The characters are also literally pointing at eachother, so hopefully plenty of things to direct the viewers eye.

Chase.jpg
    1920 x 1186 - 925K
    Post edited by Geffe on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 646
    Geffe said:
    HighElf said:

Here it is. I couldn't get rid of this strange wavepattern in her hair. So I transitioned the right portion of her hair, behind her shoulder. Also I changed his Hairstyle a little bit to make a more natural looking point of contact on their foreheads.

Currently I'm thinking of lighting. Here I used two modified spotlights. A Key and a Rim Light, Both a set to a rectangular geometry and the Rim is illuminated as Diffuse only. My current Colortemperature is 3'200 Kelvin. I'm still not convinced by the color.

What your thoughts about this state of the picture?

The draping of the cloth in this looks very convincing, and the composition is simple yet effective (at least to my untrained eye). Getting hair to behave realistically is always a challenge, especially if they don't have much in the way of movement morphs, but I think the hair in your image looks pretty good.

The aspect ratio of this pic is the golden ratio (which is helpfully one of the presets in the render and camera settings), although I didn't use the spiral sections for the composition. Instead I used the rule of thirds. I don't know if everyone already knows this, but one of the posts in an earlier challenge pointed out that you can turn on a thirds guide from the dropdown menu in the top right of the viewport.

I also tried to use lighting to focus on the characters, especially the monster who I wanted to be lunging out of the dark.  The characters are also literally pointing at eachother, so hopefully plenty of things to direct the viewers eye.

I like, how the light fall on the protagonists. The camera angle is also good and as HighElf said, the hair looks pretty well in the movement. 

Can it be, that the monster not run directly at the man? For me it seems, that his body points more in the direction to the camera.

I know, you want the monster come out of the dark, but I find, the great black area in the left corner is a little too much and turn the viewer's attention away from the two main chars.

I also ask me, how the scene would work, if the man had no gun in his hand. 

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326

yup,the tension in the atmosphere is well done. I like it much. :)

With the movement direction of the "Lurker" I agree with daybird, also the Gunarm seems to aim a little bit off. But could be an optical thing, thanks to the cameraangle. I like the movement of his hair.. ;) The lighting looks a littlebit sharp for me, Maybe camera DoF or a softbox lighting could help here to achieve the "emerge from the dark" effekt. So far a very promising project.

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

Some very nice images here so far this month, especially love HighElf's!

Going to have to read through the links and get to working on my own attempt too.

• shaneseymourstudioshaneseymourstudio Posts: 383
    edited January 2018

I made some adjustments to poses and changed the vampires eyes so they are not solid black now. I feel less irked by the falling guy but not sure his pose looks correct still.

TITLE: VampHunter

SOFTWARE: Daz3d, iRay Render (Photoshop only on a couple of clipping areas for clothing)

VampHunter

VampHunter2.jpg
    5200 x 2167 - 2M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited January 2018

I made some adjustments to poses and changed the vampires eyes so they are not solid black now. I feel less irked by the falling guy but not sure his pose looks correct still.

SOFTWARE: Daz3d, iRay Render (Photoshop only on a couple of clipping areas for clothing)

VampHunter

I think your falling guy has too much of an arch in his back.  Sometimes getting a pose right takes a lot of adjusting but can be worth the effort.

The rest of the changes you have made are very effective.  This scene is shaping up quite nicely.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • I made some adjustments to poses and changed the vampires eyes so they are not solid black now. I feel less irked by the falling guy but not sure his pose looks correct still.

VampHunter

I think your falling guy has too much of an arch in his back.  Sometimes getting a pose right takes a lot of adjusting but can be worth the effort.

The rest of the changes you have made are very effective.  This scene is shaping up quite nicely.

Thanks I'll keep working on him!

• I made some adjustments to poses and changed the vampires eyes so they are not solid black now. I feel less irked by the falling guy but not sure his pose looks correct still.

VampHunter

Would it work with the vampire's pose mirrored? Then, with a bit of adjustment, it could look as if she'd pushed the "falling" man aside.

VampHunter

Would it work with the vampire's pose mirrored? Then, with a bit of adjustment, it could look as if she'd pushed the "falling" man aside.

I may give that a try. I wanted it to look like he was just startled by the abrupt landing and stepped backward causing him to catch the curb and fall. I really like the scene with the exception of his pose and the woman in background's hand near her mouth isn't what I'm wanting yet either.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Here's a couple of new versions. Mostly texture work, but the second one has a little something extra tucked in. The glowing SLIME in the center of the room is from this. The settings I'm using for it's glow are used in one of the preset scenes that come with it. I had found myself using the glowing slime by itself enough that I went and saved it as a preset so I could just load the slime and apply without having to load the rest of the premade scene.

jan2018d.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
    jan2018d2.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M

VampHunter

Good idea from Richard!

I like what you did to her pose, she now looks even more pissed and dangerous . 

The falling guy looks still a little wrong and look at the mobile.

In this angle it's hard to realise, whats a little pitty because I find it's a great little detail in this scene!

Here's a couple of new versions. Mostly texture work, but the second one has a little something extra tucked in. The glowing SLIME in the center of the room is from this. The settings I'm using for it's glow are used in one of the preset scenes that come with it. I had found myself using the glowing slime by itself enough that I went and saved it as a preset so I could just load the slime and apply without having to load the rest of the premade scene.

Your on the right way Shinji. You should play even more withe the surfaces of the corridor. Try to raise the glossy or reflection (not sure about this, maybe there are better ways to light them up...emission??...hope someone here can give a better clue) from the sidewall to bring some light behind the soldiers and turn down the same setting on the ceiling, to put the darker area above them.

• Here's a new idea for this month. And don't anyone go telling me to make things brighter, we're in a STINKING sewer for crying out loud.

jan2018-2a.png
    1072 x 662 - 1M

Here's a new idea for this month. And don't anyone go telling me to make things brighter, we're in a STINKING sewer for crying out loud.

An underground location should be gloomy.  You definitely have that atmosphere. 

This looks like a promising image.  Cannot wait to see where you go with it.

• Here's a new idea for this month. And don't anyone go telling me to make things brighter, we're in a STINKING sewer for crying out loud.

Agree that you wouldn't expect a sewer to be bright, by the way what set is that?

Here's a new idea for this month. And don't anyone go telling me to make things brighter, we're in a STINKING sewer for crying out loud.

Great set!

This looks far more realistic, than the green glowing water.

Even the light is perfect and YES... this looks really like a STINKING sewer.

In my eyes, one of your best works. Can't wait to see how you are bringing it to life. yes

• somefunok said:

Agree that you wouldn't expect a sewer to be bright, by the way what set is that?

I used this setting.

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

The lighting on this is perfect - it's dim, but not indistinct, if that makes sense. Even though the lights are low, the details are very clear. Nice balance!

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

VampHunter

I agree with Kismet on the falling guy - try adjusting from his upper abdomen to straighten the back slightly or twist him just a bit to one side. Few people fall straight back - they twist to break their fall. I really like the DOF!

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 832
    edited December 2018

Hi everyone,

Hope all of you had a good new years!

@ High Elf

Working retail on the holidays?  That must stink.  Hope they paid you extra.  Looks good so far.

@ Sinji

“...And don’t tell me I need more light.  It’s a sewer for crissakes!”

Ha!  You come up with some good ones.  Hard to top “Objects in mirror closer than they appear” but a sewer seems a good start.  What’s living in the sewer?  Hmmm...

@ Chameo

Waiting to see what you come up with.  I also need more wardrobe advice. : )

@ Daybird

Did you get a computer upgrade?  If you did, I want to hear all about it.  

Orc off to a good start.  Will be interesting to see what you do with it.

@ Shane

Agree with Daybird, Kismet & Chameo.  First pose looks the best imo.  You hardly need me to be giving advice, but...

If falling is a reflex arc, then instinct is to put hands behind to cushion impact right?  Someone would likely look over his shoulder to see where he's going to land without even thinking about it.  So maybe both arms back to brace for fall?   Just a thought. : )   

@ Noswen

As with Chameo, be waiting to see what you come up with!
    ---
     For myself, this theme will be though because composition drilled into me time & time again through photography editors & school of hard knocks.  O_o

So what do you think?

Might work, or what an editor used to write on B&W prints: “NF”

“NF” meant “No Future.”  Don’t even bother with it.  Go out and take some more pictures!  

So “NF” or a "maybe"...  If has a future, Owen needs a better shirt.  One he has on now looks like he’s ready to go disco dancing.  : 0 !

Thanks for reading & enjoy weekend!

--Bruce

---
    Edit: weeding out old imgur files.  PM broken links.

Post edited by Tynkere on
  • Here's version b of my sewer idea, Added a pair of shadowrunners on the bridge, cracked open the door to the elevatror in the back and did some texture work.

jan2018-2b.png
    1072 x 662 - 1M

Here's version b of my sewer idea, Added a pair of shadowrunners on the bridge, cracked open the door to the elevatror in the back and did some texture work.

The open door is a interesting point and you should use it even more for the storytelling in your picture.

There can be someone come in and the runner ambush him.. or they hide before someone. 

Only one thing I would change.

Until now, my main focus goes instantly to the bright area around the door. The runners do it well, to hide in the shadow...maybe too well. ;)

Hi Tynkere and thx for the good wishes. After my first week on work I miss the holidays extrem. *gg*

The new PC must wait a little longer. My family was the opinion, that a cat for my son was much more important, than a new toy for me.indecision

To your entry.

I think you should give him a try. The composition looks even in this early state promising. I like the warm familiar look when I look at the girl who brings him a cup of coffee/tee.

Tynkere said:

Hi everyone,

Hope all of you had a good new years!

@ High Elf

Working retail on the holidays?  That must stink.  Hope they paid you extra.  Looks good so far.

@ Sinji

“...And don’t tell me I need more light.  It’s a sewer for crissakes!”

Ha!  You come up with some good ones.  Hard to top “Objects in mirror closer than they appear” but a sewer seems a good start.  What’s living in the sewer?  Hmmm...

@ Chameo

Waiting to see what you come up with.  I also need more wardrobe advice. : )

@ Daybird

Did you get a computer upgrade?  If you did, I want to hear all about it.  

Orc off to a good start.  Will be interesting to see what you do with it.

@ Shane

Agree with Daybird, Kismet & Chameo.  First pose looks the best imo.  You hardly need me to be giving advice, but...

If falling is a reflex arc, then instinct is to put hands behind to cushion impact right?  Someone would likely look over his shoulder to see where he's going to land without even thinking about it.  So maybe both arms back to brace for fall?   Just a thought. : )   

@ Noswen

As with Chameo, be waiting to see what you come up with!
    ---
     For myself, this theme will be though because composition drilled into me time & time again through photography editors & school of hard knocks.  O_o

So what do you think?

Might work, or what an editor used to write on B&W prints: “NF”

“NF” meant “No Future.”  Don’t even bother with it.  Go out and take some more pictures!  

So “NF” or a "maybe"...  If has a future, Owen needs a better shirt.  One he has on now looks like he’s ready to go disco dancing.  : 0 !

Thanks for reading & enjoy weekend!

--Bruce

I like Owen's pose and body language.  The draft table needs a project.  Something Owen is working on and has gotten stuck ( that is what his body language says to me ).

Are the grey rectangles light reflectors?  Are they supposed to be there?

Is the cup supposed to be floating in the air?  I think your draft table is floating as well.  It doesn't seem to be touching the floor.

I think this is a promising image.  I am interested to see where you go with it.

edited January 2018

Here's version b of my sewer idea, Added a pair of shadowrunners on the bridge, cracked open the door to the elevatror in the back and did some texture work.

That open elevator door needs something.  A person in front who just got off.  Or the shadow of someone/something inside the elevator waiting for it to open completely so they can get off.  Or someone standing holding down the elevator button desparate to get on to leave before that rocket blows.

Eddited to add:  Please remember these are only suggestions.  This is your artwork and vision.  Feel free to disregard.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited January 2018

@ Daybird

Thanks for encouragement.  : )  Bummer about the computer, but family more important right?   And yes-- working stinks, but I guess it's better than being unemployed?  : 0 !

@ Kismet

Actors, main props, (cup, table, etc.) just popped in there to get spacing and see if idea will even work or not.

Relief for me that both of you understood he has writers block, and daughter is bringing him some tea. Maybe she will have an idea! 

The white planes are there just to give me an idea of what to look for in the set, or maybe make some diagonals in upper corners to (hopefully) help draw the eye back to Owen.  They don’t always fit in, but come in handy when they do. 

So anyway-- now to matching cup with girl’s hand, and hopefully finding a better shirt for him.

best

--Bruce

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161
    edited January 2018

Here's version c of my sewer idea fresh out of the iray render engine.  Added an orc in front of the elevator as well as what is being fired at on the bridge. Also turned the shooters head some so he's shouting over his shoulder at his companion and also to let us see the glow of his cyber-eyes.

Edit: Almost  forgot that there was a little more texture work as well, lighting the buttons for the elevator and bumping up the glow of the cyber-eyes to make sure that it showed.

jan2018-2c.png
    1072 x 662 - 1M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on

I played around with my content, to give my Orc lady a world to life in. ;)
    Her name is SHRUCCRA, what means "little" in her language.
    Her tribe finds, she was no great gain for them and forced her, to life alone.
    After a year, she took the decision, to seek her fait in the world of the 'pale skins' .
    Her arrive in the small village, causes some real exitement. Rare is the number of Orcs who have visited human places after the big war, between their races and even rarer was the sight of a Orc woman. Especially if she has no clue about the correct morality dress code. :)

This is not the final entry and I also not pleased with a few things. (pokes, poses, positions...)
    I thought for the people in the background I could use some old V3/M3 but they turned out a little ugly.
    Especially as I have no iray skin shaders for them. Until next weekend I try a few chances.

she orc test 2.png
    800 x 494 - 832K
    edited December 2018

@ Shinji

Coming together!  The space marine or the guy in full armor is going to have his hands full with whatever is crossing the bridge...  : 0 !

@ Daybird

So you put a little village in there and kiddo in the foreground.  Cool.  Anyone with a two handed war axe gets a wide berth.  An Orc with an axe like that gets a crowded street parting like the red sea!  ; )

---
    As for myself, nothing fancy.

Kiddo is almost over exposed. He is in a darker area-- in a dark mood?  

She is coming from a more well light area.  Maybe she brings a little light with her eh?

I’m having trouble with that stupid desklamp. Doesn’t show (as in this render) or if dial settings up, then light just looks like the drafting design look washed out.  Probably ditch it.  

Collar of his his shirt doing weird things.  Have to photoshop I guess.

Other than that, a little DoF to place emphasis on him.

She’s in foreground-- if I were smart, she’d be out of focus.  Editors like that sort of thing.  He’s in the middle & off center.  (Editors like that sort of thing too.)

What else...  No posts growing out of their heads.  I don’t like him being framed with a curve pointing to viewer’s left rather than curving in towards the image, but nothing I can do about the set.  Nothing I could really add to upper right corner that wouldn’t look like I popped it in there, so that one’s a blank.  

Oh, and Hypnagogia’s props (drafting set) are first rate.  If something moves in real life, it’s rigged in DS.  But no cord for the lamp?   Sorry-- nothing I can do about that one either!  : )

Thanks for reading & enjoy week everyone!

--Bruce   

---
    Edit: weeding out old imgur files.  PM broken links.

Tynkere said:

@ Shinji

Coming together!  The space marine or the guy in full armor is going to have his hands full with whatever is crossing the bridge...  : 0 !

@ Daybird

So you put a little village in there and kiddo in the foreground.  Cool.  Anyone with a two handed war axe gets a wide berth.  An Orc with an axe like that gets a crowded street parting like the red sea!  ; )

---
    As for myself, nothing fancy.

Kiddo is almost over exposed. He is in a darker area-- in a dark mood?  

She is coming from a more well light area.  Maybe she brings a little light with her eh?

I’m having trouble with that stupid desklamp. Doesn’t show (as in this render) or if dial settings up, then light just looks like the drafting design look washed out.  Probably ditch it.  

Collar of his his shirt doing weird things.  Have to photoshop I guess.

Other than that, a little DoF to place emphasis on him.

She’s in foreground-- if I were smart, she’d be out of focus.  Editors like that sort of thing.  He’s in the middle & off center.  (Editors like that sort of thing too.)

What else...  No posts growing out of their heads.  I don’t like him being framed with a curve pointing to viewer’s left rather than curving in towards the image, but nothing I can do about the set.  Nothing I could really add to upper right corner that wouldn’t look like I popped it in there, so that one’s a blank.  

Oh, and Hypnagogia’s props (drafting set) are first rate.  If something moves in real life, it’s rigged in DS.  But no cord for the lamp?   Sorry-- nothing I can do about that one either!  : )

Thanks for reading & enjoy week everyone!

--Bruce   

Ok, disco time for him is over. laugh

The new shirt shader works well. I also like how you disigned the work space and room. The poses and expressions are on the point and looking perfect. I think the rest is somthing that lies in your own choise, how the scene should finaly look. 

To be honest, I think I see nothing that I can do better.  If I look at your works, I can see that you are much more experienced than me. wink