Carrara Challenge #37 - Dungeons Deep - WIP Thread

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

Well... you're writing now, in these forums! ;)

I have to check out your writing - but now I must sleep!

edited January 2018

Planescape Enhanced Edition (for modern computers) Now Available at GOG

Currently (as of this writing) on sale 25% off

...as are the other Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate (I & II) (75% off), Icewind Dale (66% off) and the new Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear (50% off)

I love the teaser that went out with other games before Planescape was officially released!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited January 2018

No postwork.  Thank you, Carrara!  I love PSE 2018 (for example) but I also love how Carrara gives you the tools to pretty much accomplish whatever you want.

Stephanie 4, GFSnake from Predatron, Fantasy Tunnel, Barbarian King sword, Choko hair.  Lighting is a combination of ambient, gamma, GI, HDRI, and a lot of bulbs.  Fog is Carrara cloud.  Carrara text.  G'MIC plugin.  Metaball blood pool.

Balance.png
    1000 x 1500 - 2M
    Balance Carrara.PNG
    1749 x 1160 - 3M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Very, Very Nice!!!yes

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

No postwork.  Thank you, Carrara!  I love PSE 2018 (for example) but I also love how Carrara gives you the tools to pretty much accomplish whatever you want.

Stephanie 4, GFSnake from Predatron, Fantasy Tunnel, Barbarian King sword, Choko hair.  Lighting is a combination of ambient, gamma, GI, HDRI, and a lot of bulbs.  Fog is Carrara cloud.  Carrara text.  G'MIC plugin.  Metaball blood pool.

Holy crap, that's awesome!  I am absolutely drooling over this (not just because of the nearly-naked-Vicky-in-a-temple-with-2-swords).  That's one of the best 'comic' style renders I've ever seen with Carrara.  Dying to know more about how you did that, is the magic solely in the shaders?  Just wow.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited January 2018

that's a superb result straight out of Carrara !! Amazing - okay TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL! as Holly Wetcircuit used to say :) sad that Holly doesnt come here any more ...

Ot here is her site http://www.wetcircuit.com/

Post edited by Headwax on
    head wax said:

that's a superb result straight out of Carrara !! Amazing - okay TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL! as Holly Wetcircuit used to say :) sad that Holly doesnt come here any more ...

I 100% agree - twice!  That would be an awesome tut!  And also, I miss Holly.  Hope she's ok, on of the all time greats. 

MDO2010 said:

Here's the final version of my second entry. I added some hands sticking out of the floor grate, stairs and some lorez rats.

Final Scene Setup:

Final Render:

Final With Postwork:

Love the hands on the bars in the floor, brilliant addition.

Mistara said:

wip: Djinnie in a bottle

this challenge taught me how to make a grow region devil  course doing something with new knowledge is another thing, lol

the hairy blanket is sprouting from a cucumber, collision against his hand and thighs.

learned pulling on a point on the lathed spline can change the shape

plate of french toast cheekycheeky in the rara native content
    ladybug from the old creeper collection.
    g3m

Djinn is definitely a dungeon staple. Careful what you wish for!  :)

Here's a few more personal favorites for me of stuff you awesome Carrarists have done for prior challenges.

Here's an interesting one that could be absolutely peaceful and beautiful, or on the other hand if you just change the soundtrack in the background becomes a forbidding abandoned station filled with shadows and lurking danger.   This one is by Pnewhook:

Here's a gorgeous one by Wgdjohn, that conjures images of stirring fantasy while simultaneously being quite beautiful:

Did you ever play scary games with flashlights when you were a kid?  I think everyone did. Miciodue shows that not all of these games have happy endings  :)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Dart, Jon, HW - many thanks for your comments!

Jon and HW, I'm using the same G'MIC filter that I used for the Mars postcard, and in the Pinup Challenge.  I outlined it's usage here.  One difference is that I turned off the canvas texture in the current render.

HW, I'm not thinking that a tutorial is possible - exactly.  This is one of those organic renders that I kept adjusting over time, until it finally told me where to go.  So there was nothing efficient or step-by-step about it.  For example, I probably used way more lights than necessary to get the final result, with ambient, HDRI, GI, gamma, and bulbs all playing a role.  It's a relatively complex balance.  But I think if you start playing with the filter (on minimal settings), and experiment with flattening the image with enough light (I used 25% ambient on this one), you will achieve similar results.  Without the filter, the image itself is pretty flat looking, and that is fine, as it is optimized for the filter.

Holly Wetcircuit was before my time here, but I totally agree with you guys.  Her tutorial on using Carrara hair on animals (apparently no longer onlineangry) was the single best written tutorial I have ever seen, and it helped me a lot in the Cripeman Challenge.  I have considered emailing her to ask why she left, but I'm reluctant to invade her privacy.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited January 2018

Found some time to work on this...

Don't know what is happening... but it looks like crap here, compared to how it looks on my desktop.

Doc7.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 861K
    Post edited by Varsel on

Dart, Jon, HW - many thanks for your comments!

Jon and HW, I'm using the same G'MIC filter that I used for the Mars postcard, and in the Pinup Challenge.  I outlined it's usage here.  One difference is that I turned off the canvas texture in the current render.

HW, I'm not thinking that a tutorial is possible - exactly.  This is one of those organic renders that I kept adjusting over time, until it finally told me where to go.  So there was nothing efficient or step-by-step about it.  For example, I probably used way more lights than necessary to get the final result, with ambient, HDRI, GI, gamma, and bulbs all playing a role.  It's a relatively complex balance.  But I think if you start playing with the filter (on minimal settings), and experiment with flattening the image with enough light (I used 25% ambient on this one), you will achieve similar results.  Without the filter, the image itself is pretty flat looking, and that is fine, as it is optimized for the filter.

Holly Wetcircuit was before my time here, but I totally agree with you guys.  Her tutorial on using Carrara hair on animals (apparently no longer onlineangry) was the single best written tutorial I have ever seen, and it helped me a lot in the Cripeman Challenge.  I have considered emailing her to ask why she left, but I'm reluctant to invade her privacy.

hey thanks that data is what we need :)

Overview on Holly..This is the impression I got, could be wrong totally.. she did a million hours of work on the Cafe (?) there were people complaining about stuff (the net is full of interesting people who see things differently to most of us). Those people are no longer on this forum I think (removed by mods). and I think she spat the dummy and left the whole Carrara scene behind -

her work on her site has certainly come along in leaps and bounds and she is sorely missed

Varsel said:

Don't know what is happening... but it looks like crap here, compared to how it looks on my desktop.

chillingly ominous

to fix issues ..... sometimes I post stuff on my blog and link to here

also if you have an image on facebook (eg) you can copy it and paste it here - maybe that will improve the look ?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798
    edited January 2018

Where to

Seeing where we came from and where we are and where do we go... no matter what, three things are guaranteed, there will be sheep, Carrara 8 and f^$%ing seagulls!

dunno if it fits the challenge.... but space is kinda dark.. no postwork apart from sig.. 

Where to WiP.jpg
    1504 x 754 - 194K
    Where to WiP2.jpg
    1570 x 775 - 172K
    Where to.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 551K
    Post edited by Stezza on

UB, I appreciate the description of the process and what went into it.  Just a superb and striking render, and getting insights into how it was done is very valuable, and much appreciated.  :)

Varsel said:

I think it looks pretty great, even here.  Very ominous, moody scene.  Looks like it's coming along beautifully. 

I know the forum does tend to degrade pictures posted here, I run into the same thing all the time, where the render looks so much better to me on my desktop than it does in the forum. 

Stezza said:

Where to

Seeing where we came from and where we are and where do we go... no matter what, three things are guaranteed, there will be sheep, Carrara 8 and f^$%ing seagulls!

dunno if it fits the challenge.... but space is kinda dark.. no postwork apart from sig.. 

Wow, that's a striking render Stezza.  That astronaut was probably surprised to see that farm come whizzing by, exploding into space, but probably not as suprised at the farm animals!  :)

thanks jonstark.... just my weird imagination... cool

edited January 2018

Here's a few more of my favs from prior challenges, just to add some more dungeon flavour:

Diomede shows that sometimes the bravest heroes go into battle without swords:

Not every adventurer will make it back, and some will be lost in the trackless wastes, at least that's the backstory my imagination creates for this one from th3digit:

Beware of dungeon bosses!  Ok, that's probably more video-game vernacular, but it still applies I think  :)  I've always admired this beautiful one from MDO2010:

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    edited January 2018

In the cave of the sovereign beast

These are five terrains; the filters are Fractal Fuction Generator (Multifractal). The bottom ones have also Canyon filter, and two of them, Zero Edge Filter. This is the scene.

Cave.jpg
    1920 x 1040 - 395K
    Post edited by Alberto on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited January 2018

Yet one darkness from me:

HangarAlien01.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 1M
    2018-01-10_2256.jpg
    1477 x 876 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,686

Dustrider - love your Dragon

Jonstark - cool use of the Dragon skeleton

UB - awesome work with your Balance render

MDO2010 - lovely dungeon, as long as your not the prisoner holding onto the grate

Misty - interesting concept, like the Ladybug

Varsel - looks better to me when I click on the larger image, maybe lighten it just a tad ?

Stezza - great work as always

Alberto - looking forward to the finished render

Vyusur - love the composition of this one

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Bunyip, thank you!

and the winner is..........................................

this is awesome.. nothing else to say !!

Well, my first Fluidos simulation is underway on my Carrara PC. If it works out I may just have time to get it done and in here in time, along with a pretty cool WIP, I think. I mean... if it doen't work out, how cool could it be, right?

If it doesn't work as expected, I'll try and put that off and at least try and get this scene done for this challenge. Crossing fingers.

Now, I put a figure in scene. It's a genesis. VWD was used for the cloak and tunic. Hair is dynamic.

Cave2.jpg
    1920 x 1040 - 378K

Well, my first Fluidos simulation is underway on my Carrara PC. If it works out I may just have time to get it done and in here in time, along with a pretty cool WIP, I think. I mean... if it doen't work out, how cool could it be, right?

If it doesn't work as expected, I'll try and put that off and at least try and get this scene done for this challenge. Crossing fingers.

I'd like to see it ! smiley

Vyusur said:

Yet one darkness from me:

Looking great Vysur, is that the same hangar set that I saw you and Dart experimenting with lighting setups in the render thread?  Looks terrific, I was thinking I might need to track that down and add it to my collection of sci-fi scenes.  :)

Alberto said:

Now, I put a figure in scene. It's a genesis. VWD was used for the cloak and tunic. Hair is dynamic.

Looks like it's coming together quickly and nicely.  It's amazing how versatile and useful the terrain modeler is in creating realistic cave shapes, both ceilings and floors.  I'm excited to see this one come together.