Carrara Challenge #37 - Dungeons Deep - WIP Thread

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited January 2018

Oh btw I need to put up my latest, I've finished the Christmas dungeon scene (at least as close I can get it) and moving on to the next idea I had which is actually going to be someone thematically similar.  Here's the Carrara render and then after postwork:

The original render was too dark and hard to make out I thought, but the postworked one looks too bright to me too.

Christmas dungeon2.png
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    Christmas dungeon4ps2.png
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited January 2018

Using Snaggletooth Caverns as my cave (it's an old Daz store product I got on the super-cheap not long ago) and threw in a treasure chest.  I decided to make my gold coins from a single vertex cylinder, then used 2 surface replicators on 2 different planes within the chest to try to create the effect of lots of coins on top of each other.  Not sure how well it's working at first blush.  Put a single yellow bulb light over the chest so far.

Dungeon Chest1.jpg
    600 x 338 - 74K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Jonstark said:

Oh btw I need to put up my latest, I've finished the Christmas dungeon scene (at least as close I can get it) and moving on to the next idea I had which is actually going to be someone thematically similar.  Here's the Carrara render and then after postwork:

The original render was too dark and hard to make out I thought, but the postworked one looks too bright to me too.

terrific work JonStark - you could try the Vintage filter in FotoSketcher on the second one, then just drop the opacity of the result to about 15 percent (after pasting it as a new layer on the toobright one) - that will grunge it up a wee bit :)

• not dark but maybe it will fit?

used a terrain with crater and terrace to place the birds

in layers of a cone.

cone of birds1.png
    1280 x 960 - 2M
    cone of birds1 setup.png
    1160 x 685 - 228K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited January 2018

Jon, life rarely runs smoothly.smiley  We appreciate your efforts.  Is the new entry deadline next Tuesday?

Thanks for the chortle on my render!  A graphic novel is a little daunting, so we will see what happens.

On another note, I'm getting this strange "no data could be found in your post" message when I try to attach a file to post.  So, no more entries for now.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Jon, life rarely runs smoothly.smiley  We appreciate your efforts.  Is the new entry deadline next Tuesday?

Thanks for the chortle on my render!  A graphic novel is a little daunting, so we will see what happens.

On another note, I'm getting this strange "no data could be found in your post" message when I try to attach a file to post.  So, no more entries for now.

Yup, next Tuesday is what I always planned on mentally, just had a mental short circuit and put the wrong date down.  That would have been really unfair, only giving people 1 day to put up entries lol.  I've changed the date in the header of this thread, and it will close for voting next Tuesday (that's Jan 9, according to the calendar).  The holidays are a joy, but also it can take up a bunch of time, leaving not much time for our little render hobby, so I just want to make sure we're leaving enough time for everyone that wants to participate, if anyone thinks it's wise or needed we could extend it out another week even beyond the 9th, which would be.. let's see... the 16th.  

edited January 2018

A slight bit of tweaking to my cave, added some blue LightX bulb lights to various places in the caverns in the distance to make it a little more clear to see the cave structure.  I'm thinking of maybe doing some 3d painting to roughen up the coin faces as they are utterly smooth right now and it's probably not clear that this is a chest with gold in it, it could easily be mistaken for lava at the bottom of the render, thinking maybe if I lower the level of the coins so the wood of the chest itself is more visible and also once the main character is added peering down into the chest contents it will help to make it clearer what this is.  Hmmm, maybe I should add in some gemstones sprinkled in there too...

Dungeon Chest2.jpg
    600 x 338 - 100K

A week is good for me, but longer is fine as well, thanks.

You are your own best critic on your treasure chest render.  Good observations.  Look forward to seeing the result.  HW made some nice suggestions on your Christmas tree render, and that is looking good as well.

I think that I solved the file posting issue.  Daz must have some limit on file upload size.  I reduced things a bit, and now they work.

edited January 2018

Postcard from the Red Planet

From Jon's original instructions, I took it to heart that "deep" didn't necessarily mean "dark."  The small mountain in the scene is just a plane with displacement.  The sky is a Horo HDRI.  The characters are V4 Bioskin and G2M Retro space suit.  GMIC and lens flair round out the Carrara part of the render.  The text was applied in PSE 2018.

I hope that y'all have a wonderful New Year!

Fire Caves Carrara.PNG
    1749 x 1123 - 2M
    Fire Caves postcard 1.png
    2100 x 1213 - 5M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    Jonstark said:

Yup, next Tuesday is what I always planned... 

Oh, great.  thank you.  I'm still traveling, so I appreciate the extra time.  I will probably be substituting updated versions for the two images that I posted in the entries thread.  That has been OK in the past, but let me know if it will be a problem.  I may even get a chance for one more before next Tuesday.

Diomede said:
    Jonstark said:

Oh, great.  thank you.  I'm still traveling, so I appreciate the extra time.  I will probably be substituting updated versions for the two images that I posted in the entries thread.  That has been OK in the past, but let me know if it will be a problem.  I may even get a chance for one more before next Tuesday.

Substitutions are totally fine at any time right up til voting starts, and since I think it would be more fair to extend the deadline out another week to give more people time to catch up from the holidays (and don't see any vehement disagreement to the idea), I'll go ahead and reset the deadline to Jan 16th instead  :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Thanks!  I will see about getting Brash some irises.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    Jonstark said:
    Diomede said:
    Jonstark said:

Substitutions are totally fine at any time right up til voting starts, and since I think it would be more fair to extend the deadline out another week to give more people time to catch up from the holidays (and don't see any vehement disagreement to the idea), I'll go ahead and reset the deadline to Jan 16th instead  :)

Cool. I might just make it then. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Jonstark said:

there's a scary in the fireplace  !!

edited January 2018

my idea not working. thought i ciuld make the rs colrs look like inside of cave 

i dont know to pick polys to sprout hair. can only do the whole cucumber

Post edited by Mistara on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited January 2018
    Jonstark said:

If you take both images into your fav graphics program and do some layer adjustments and masking you can probably get mor of what you are after...

I took the oppurtunity to give a quick example to show you... in PSE2018 and five minutes playing around with the both images & layers & masking.. wink

jonstarkimage.jpg
    800 x 450 - 241K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

you're not just a pretty face Stezza

Play your own D&D game by watching a movie on YouTube!

I have the dvd. Pretty cool, I thought. Haven't seen it in years

Scourge of Worlds

Must have annotations turned on

- click your choices as the story unfolds. Can you make it all the way through, or will it just turn out to be an animated short?

a wip.

i sooo wanna put a ruby rod hair style on him

37 Doc6.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    37 Doc8.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    frizz ch37-2.JPG
    1633 x 971 - 177K
    frizz ch37.JPG
    2299 x 1019 - 259K

woo hoo jon stark tutt on hair regions.  thankssmiley

and tysmiley wendy for the linkieheart

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited January 2018

Dang ..... another competition that will be hard to judge, Lots of great stuff here again. Thanks Jonstark for extending the deadline laugh I would have had a much less polished entry, the materials/shaders and setup on this one was a pain.

Attached is a screen capture of the scene setup. I ended up using 5 mesh lights (the big black planes) to get the lighting I wanted. Two of them have images on them to help with the reflections, and create a bit more interest in the lighting. I've also attached a before and after image for the post work I did (just levels, unsharp mask, and a touch of fog). I think this will be the final entry, I'm still debating on the pose if I want to make her right hand anchor to her cheek a bit better, but I kind of like it the way it is, a bit more like a quick draw without time to anchor.

Almost all of the materials/shaders were reworked to make them render better in Octane. the girl and the Dragon both use glossy/specular mix shaders. With this project for some odd reason I had to bring all of the clothes in first, then conform them or Carrara would crash (Genesis 2 ..... I went through a lot of cloths before I got a combination I liked). Definitely zoom to full resolution to see the details.

Carrara Setup

Original Image

Post Worked Image

setup Capture.JPG
    1419 x 1037 - 307K
    Ember and Dragon 16 nopost.jpg
    2500 x 2500 - 1M
    Ember and Dragon 16.jpg
    2500 x 2500 - 1M
    Post edited by DustRider on

is possible to put hairy eyelashes on G8?  there's 3 bones on the eyelid. actually 6 including lower lid.
    does that mean 6 hair groups? 
    does carrara see the figure as a single mesh?

was going ruby rod, but looks more like a jean luc picard

DustRider said:

(Genesis 2 ..... I went through a lot of cloths before I got a combination I liked).

Kazai looks really good on her! Part of my main character's costume starts with that set.

Very cool render DR!!!

Mistara said:

was going ruby rod, but looks more like a jean luc picard

LOL!

Might actually be a good thing?

Ruby rod: Just make a vertex model of some poo, give it some bump, and parent it to his forehead!

Ruby rod: Just make a vertex model of some poo, give it some bump, and parent it to his forehead!

smiley

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

It's a loofah!

Mistara said:

smiley

It's a loofah!

Just like I said... make a vertex model of some poo, give it some bump, and parent it to his forehead!

Postcard from the Red Planet

From Jon's original instructions, I took it to heart that "deep" didn't necessarily mean "dark."  The small mountain in the scene is just a plane with displacement.  The sky is a Horo HDRI.  The characters are V4 Bioskin and G2M Retro space suit.  GMIC and lens flair round out the Carrara part of the render.  The text was applied in PSE 2018.

I hope that y'all have a wonderful New Year!

Too cool!  Very splashy color scheme here I like it a lot.  Also the martian lady's face head/face is simultaneously disturbing and welcoming at the same time, neat trick.  I had never heard of the bioskin before, had to go look it up and may add it to my collection for future sci-fi stuff (M4 has a fairly cool bioskin too).

Stezza said:
    Jonstark said:

If you take both images into your fav graphics program and do some layer adjustments and masking you can probably get mor of what you are after...

I took the oppurtunity to give a quick example to show you... in PSE2018 and five minutes playing around with the both images & layers & masking.. wink

Excellent idea Stezza, thanks for the tip.  I don't have PS and really rely on just Gimp, and I'm not very good at understanding how to make layers work together, so I don't know if I can get as good a result, but I'm intrigued to give it a try as it does look like a very viable solution to my dilemma.  Want the scene to be dark but also want the viewer to spot the creature at the same time.