Making Clothes?

glennblackphotosglennblackphotos Posts: 160
edited January 2018 in New Users

If I wanted to get into making clothes for Daz characters what would be the best software to use?

Are there any good tutorials on how to do this too please?

thanks.

Post edited by glennblackphotos on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

Most modelling programs can be used to create the mesh, the most important thing is to find the one which suits you. Start with the free ones like Hexagon or Blender.

Another option is Marvellous Designer, which enables you to design clothes more or less like you would do for sewing: you design pattern pieces then assemble them. This gives really good results but is also quite expensive.

• Leana said:

Most modelling programs can be used to create the mesh, the most important thing is to find the one which suits you. Start with the free ones like Hexagon or Blender.

Another option is Marvellous Designer, which enables you to design clothes more or less like you would do for sewing: you design pattern pieces then assemble them. This gives really good results but is also quite expensive.

Thanks 

• I found this tool that can be used in Daz Studio, but I do not know how to install the addon. I tried to get in touch with the developer and I did not get it and besides, the addon is not updated, in addition to the Daz 4.5+.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

If I wanted to get into making clothes for Daz characters what would be the best software to use?

Are there any good tutorials on how to do this too please?

thanks.

Hello!  I have a lengthy tutorial series on this with Blender (you can also start in a later tutorial in the same series if you model in a different program):

https://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-G1G2G3G8-Clothing-in-Blender-1-428585748

If you want the clothing to have extra bones, this method can be used for clothing:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

one of the easiest way to make simple garments is to start with a cylinder preset

this can be done in Hexagon, Wings3D, Carrara (what I use) or any other 3D software 

you remove the top and bottom if it loads with one (Hexagon doesn’t if I recall) and then use soft select and symmetry to shape it to the figure and cut out arm holes

now DAZ studio has Dforce anyone can make clothes as simple things like this cylinder can be then draped and the results exported as an obj for further modelling 

sleeves can be additional cylinders bridged to the armholes

a skirt can be a torus sliced in half and draped

hell you can even do it all in DAZ studio with primitives and the geometry editing tool!

the main thing is pinning it with the weightpaint modifier and then later hiding your figure after draping to export and reimport mesh for further work or to weld pieces, 

edited January 2018

this was a DAZ studio cone primitive

I hid and deleted bits with the geometry editor

I added subdivision and dialed it up and exported and reimported an obj for more detail and it rounded the armholes I cut out

I sized and translated it to fit the figure better the added a dforce modifier dynamic surface and draped it

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 187K
    Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 264K
    Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 214K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

OK a sort of video tutorial

• Blender is very complex and disorganized and, besides, it is impossible to price menus and the developers have the audacity to say that it is easy to use;

Carrara seems to be easy to use, but unfortunately it gets paid;

The Hexagon has become free (I do not know how long), but the software is anchored and does not have updates for years, but also only software without addons requires 113GB of disk space. The Hexagon has to be a bit smaller.

Already the addon I showed, as I said, I do not know how to install, but someone can teach both you and me and I think DazStudio should have tools that help in the creation of clothes, hair and accessories.

• this was a DAZ studio cone primitive

I hid and deleted bits with the geometry editor

I added subdivision and dialed it up and exported and reimported an obj for more detail and it rounded the armholes I cut out

I sized and translated it to fit the figure better the added a dforce modifier dynamic surface and draped it

Thanks! Looking great!

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

this was a DAZ studio cone primitive...

Heh heh... I like that drapery! Rather inspiring. So far the most "bendy" or wavy thing I have done is a filmstrip (JPEG image) - I bent a primitive plane shape in Hexagon and then painted a suitable "texture" file for it.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

Blender is very complex...

An older user here once wrote “this stuff isn't easy, otherwise everybody would be doing it!!!”

I think it takes some people a while to begin "thinking like a 3-D modeller". I'm in that category myself; I can sculpt — give me a lump of Silly Putty or plasticene or Fimo clay and away I go! — but on the computer screen it's, ah, not the same.

Although the documentation continues to lack (IMHO) Hexagon has been updated recently. I have had trouble with the older version(s) on one computer but the newest 64-bit beta version seems like an improvement, to me anyway.

As Wendy mentioned, you can do a lot with primitives, poking and pulling at their geometry a bit... in my opinion add-on tools like Mesh Grabber may be worth a look.

The default interface for the "Sculptris" modelling program is a sphere that you can poke and stretch.

I don't have Daz Studio 4.5 (I think I can only go back to "8") so I'm probably not able to try that third party clothing tool (Clothing Creation Kit) you mentioned. I agree that not being able to use older stuff can be irritating... I myself like to play the odd vintage game here and there ("Qix" comes to mind) but I'll be darned if I can figure out the various virtual machines and emulators!

IIRC the first experience I had with virtual, 3-D figures and clothing was "The Sims II" - another franchise that did not last (I don't think). But we've come a long way in the last ten years or so! blush

• Interesting. I've just started with Daz and want to learn to design clothes and environments and backgrounds etc mainly because I cannot find stuff I want.

Part of this is because I want to use Daz for culturally specific things (Polynesian and Pacific Island region) and there is nothing at all that fits. So either I use what is avaialble and get critsized for not portraying things correctly or start learning how to design clothes and buildings etc ... I will give Blender a try and see what I can do.