The Doctor Appreciation thread

Comments

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

Finally stumbled across a procedural shader I could use upon the PoserWorld TimeLord jacket that won't suffer texture stretching.

Though not recreating any specific scene from the series, the situation is something we can easily imagine. Having escaped a dreadful situation, the Doctor tries to impress Romana by showing some sort of artifact they worked hard to obtain. Only, it seems he has lost it. All that effort for nothing. Romana rolls her eye, producing the item and the Doctor grins in appreciation, his mule teeth shining from the light cast by the mysterious object. Cue the closing "sting".

Sincerely,

Bill

Doctor-Romana-J-1.jpg
    1387 x 822 - 197K
  • TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

Just some of my own ideas of the Doctor, along with one of my own characters, Cassy, and my own take on the Master.

The_Master.jpg
    1258 x 870 - 630K
    Tardis_land2.jpg
    925 x 870 - 439K
    Tardis_land.jpg
    925 x 870 - 389K
    Tardisroom.jpg
    1030 x 870 - 411K
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Oh my word! Well, depending upon the style targeted, an anime/manga version of Davison's Doctor could very well be depicted as an androgynous "bishie boy"! Is Sera used for both the Doctor and Tegan? I'm not familiar with that figure.

You know, given some of the "tropes" in anime and manga, both Hartnell and Troughton would probably be two foot tall, wizened Yoda-like goblins. Pertwee? We've seen at least one interpretation by that guy who made that 12 minute promotional anime.

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/61811/Doctor-Who-anime-FINAL/

I understand the animator wound up with a job associated with the BBC and DW. Dream come true it seems.

Anyway, a neat spin on the characters. It really captures the motif!

Sincerely,

Bill

He should be a writer or something for Dr. Who, since he seems to do a lot better than Moffat or that guy who did Journey to the Center of the Tardis.

And if you want androgynous, check out Andre Pejic, if he won't make one question one's sexuality, NOTHING WILL. ;)

• aldemps_65d152c25faldemps_65d152c25f Posts: 157
    edited December 1969

Just messing about:
    Another 'Anime' Who (inspired by an old book cover where the artist didn't know what the TARDIS looked like & assumed it was an ordinary phonebox) & another attempt at a Toon Clara.

13-05-01_Doctor_Clara.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 832K
    13-05-01_Anime_Who.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 762K
    edited December 1969

Where'd you get those Daleks from?

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

they look like mechmasters to me - an alternative colour scheme for Ghalt.

http://www.mechmaster.co.uk/cg-lair/downloads/index.html

edited May 2013

You are correct Nightkin, they are Mechmaster's Ghalt supreme.

I simply changed the colour scheme to silver & blue.

Post edited by aldemps_65d152c25f on
    edited December 1969

Dalek spotting - the new alternative to train spotting.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,686
    edited December 1969

I am the Doctor and I am afraid.

Hello Sweetie!

• blutobluto Posts: 827
    edited December 1969

My latest work in progress. Borrowed Aldemps' fantastic McGann console because it's similar to what I need and I haven't built mine yet. This one's going to take a while.

any progress yet ? I am so impresses with this one Grinch it makes me green with envy

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited May 2013

bluto said:
    My latest work in progress. Borrowed Aldemps' fantastic McGann console because it's similar to what I need and I haven't built mine yet. This one's going to take a while.

any progress yet ? I am so impresses with this one Grinch it makes me green with envy

Here's the latest quick look. It comes in two halves so you can frame shots better, this pic has one half off so you can see what it looks like from a total perspective so far.

A little progress, as I said I think it will take some time to get this ready. It's still very early.

NewControlRoomTest3.jpg
    950 x 777 - 325K
    Post edited by grinch2901 on
    edited December 1969

i've been creating a few wall pieces.

dalek_in_new_hall.jpg
    899 x 707 - 517K
    edited December 1969

Very interesting, particularly the panels with hexagonal recesses.

And I never commented upon your Daleks in the earlier posts, did I? A rather neat variation there, skirt hemispheres mounted within recessed hexagons. They coordinate quite well with the panels I noted above. Different from what we've seen in the series, but yours maintain the "classic" proportions that the New Paradigm awkwardly violated. I like them! Yours, I mean.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

nightkin said:

Any of your Dalek models available? One can never have too many Daleks, :D

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

nightkin said:

Any of your Dalek models available? One can never have too many Daleks, :D
    Just don't let them between yourself and your police box! But in case one does, I have several more iterations of the TARDIS handy via the Freepository thread.

edited December 1969

aldemps said:
    Just messing about:
    Another 'Anime' Who (inspired by an old book cover where the artist didn't know what the TARDIS looked like & assumed it was an ordinary phonebox)...

Here's the art I suspect you are remembering. (Took a bit to track down the slideshow page I saw several years ago.)

http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~ecl6nb/OnTarget/1973/daleks/daljacov.htm

Here's the root link if anyone wishes to explore the whole site.

http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~ecl6nb/OnTarget/

Click the arrows to see the interior illustrations. The Daleks are shaped more like smooth dome capped bullets coasting upon a large "ball" mounted within their bases. Also, their eye-stalks can twist around like a goose-neck lamp.

This reminds me of something else. In 1697, Toho collaborated with Rankin-Bass (yes, the studio that made all those puppet animated holiday specials) to produce a film titled in English ar "King Kong Escapse". In a nutshell, Kong, roughly the size of Godzilla, is pitted against a robotic duplicate of the great ape. This mechanoid is the creation of a villain called, I kid you not, Dr. Who, alternatively spelled Dr. Hu depending upon the material referenced. Here's how he appears in some scenes...

http://finnclark.thiswaydown.org/Image/KingKongDrWhoAmamoto.jpg

Obviously, while not exact, that ensemble with the pill-box hat reminds me of William Hartnell's entrance, when he returns to Foreman's junkyard and encounters Susan's teachers. Speaking of Susan, Dr. Hu in the Toho film also has a granddaughter in her late teens. Was it an homage? Eh, I doubt it. The now iconic BBC series was only in it's fourth year and probably all but unknown outside the UK. But the coincidence IS rather bizarrely funny!

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

theres a new outfit - Highland Lad - that is just perfect for creating Jamie McCrimmon.
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/highland-lad

edited December 1969

Just read "Wheel of Ice" a couple of weeks ago. I'd love to see a take on Jamie.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,686
    edited December 1969

Just read "Wheel of Ice" a couple of weeks ago. I'd love to see a take on Jamie.

Which doctor do they use?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Jamie was a companion to the second Doctor, Patrick Troughton.

edited December 1969

yes, but Pat Troughton died many years ago . It is the second Doctor, but I think the doctor is voiced by Frazer Hines in this.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited May 2013

I assumed it was a written book, and the question was which doctor was described in it.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Emperor

Emperor_Elevator.jpg
    1258 x 870 - 500K
    edited December 1969

Just messing about.

I Think the M3 Marauder set combined with Celestial Toymaker's free cyber helmet makes a very nice Classic/New Series Cyberman hybrid.

The helmet is available in the fan art section of the Gallifrey Base website (http://gallifreybase.com)

13-05-19_Cybermen.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 522K
    edited December 1969

aldemps said:
    Just messing about.

I Think the M3 Marauder set combined with Celestial Toymaker's free cyber helmet makes a very nice Classic/New Series Cyberman hybrid.

The helmet is available in the fan art section of the Gallifrey Base website (http://gallifreybase.com)

Good to see a decent design, finally. :3

edited December 1969

ald which exact thread is that cyberhelmet In , I cant seem to find it anywhere?

edited December 1969

bluto said:
    ald which exact thread is that cyberhelmet In , I cant seem to find it anywhere?

Monopticon (Fan Artwork) > The 3D Toyroom
    edited December 1969

Grinch , I found a few images that might help you in your quest to finish the new console room

2013tardisconsole4.jpg
    1072 x 756 - 126K
    2013tardisconsole3.jpg
    1078 x 742 - 133K
    2013tardisconsole2.jpg
    1062 x 874 - 105K
    2013tardisconsole1.jpg
    1078 x 868 - 135K
    50thanniversaryconsole.jpg
    1574 x 614 - 135K
    edited December 1969

and the final 2 pics

2013tardisconsole6.jpg
    1074 x 789 - 137K
    2013tardisconsole5.jpg
    1085 x 760 - 146K
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the references Bluto. They will be a big help, in fact on my lunch hour I already roughed in two of the panels.

The bad news is that I have decided I need to start over. You see, I started this project after watching the first episode with the new room. I found the few references I could and dove in. However as time has gone by and I've watched more episodes like "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS" much better views of the room are available and I have realized I made many bad mistakes. For example there are stairs where I have none, there are doors where I have none. I also failed to UVMap as I went and made hundreds of replicas of items like the hexagonal wall panels with no materials assigned. Fixing that would be excruciating. Fixing the problems would be harder than just starting fresh so that's the answer. Will add some time, hopefully will make a better model though. The good news is I expect to be taking some time off from work soon and will have a good block to work on it.

Panels.jpg
    624 x 270 - 30K