Content Wishes for 2018

We've already had the obvious discussion about content availability being a direct result of what sells, but I guess I'm as frustrated as those who keep wishing for for men's clothing. But for me, it's wishing there was more normal, every day, real world stuff. Like lots of variations of everyday homes and other buildings and furnishings and so on. Yeah, there's some, but compared to the availability of other-worldly-fantasy stuff, there's not a lot, IMO. And clothing too. I realize everyone loves the Princess Leia outfits and so on, but actual real world clothing for G3 is in relatively short supply. Yeah, there's a bunch of it, but compared to the incredible variation you see when you go into a department store over the years, there's not much. And stuff like everyday womens accessories, like jewelry and shoes and stuff. Especially shoes...the thing I least want to try to make on my own since they can be so complicated to model and rig. 

And I realize some will now feel obligated to provide a long list of stuff to try to disprove my theory, but trust me, I've looked and looked and looked here and elsewhere, and most of the time I end up making it myself or doing without solely because there just isn't the variation in types and styles I'm hoping for.

And no, I'm not hoping to change the market, just expressing frustration. I'm curious if I'm the only one who feels this way.   

Comments

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589

More good tutorials in shop & hey what about some Dazstudio 5.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...a return to PDF tutorials.

• I've been making my content wish for 2018.  I'm sure I'll finish it 'soon' ;)

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

You can stack planes of images to give apparent depth. From what I've seen in videos of how some of the big screen stuff gets made, they stack layers of images together to make a final image. I imagine if they were doing a render like yours they probably wouldn't hire extras to sit in bleachers, they'd take some images and duplicate them and place them on planes or something like that. 

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

What we need is the ability for the Daz Studio Subdivision engine to work the other way and lower the polygon resolution to lower than base levels for distant characters (or when you manualy set it)
    A side effect of that would be opening up a whole new market for low resolution clothing and hair for your crowds.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    kyoto kid said:

I couldn't agree more.  I'd  also like to see:

More cute little furry animals from Alessandro Mastronardi (you can never, ever have too many cute little furry animals)

More fantasy appropriate scenes and buildings from Stefan Morrell (Stonemason).

Some fantasy breast morphs for G8F.

Cheers,

Alex.

• JamesJAB said:

What we need is the ability for the Daz Studio Subdivision engine to work the other way and lower the polygon resolution to lower than base levels for distant characters (or when you manualy set it)
    A side effect of that would be opening up a whole new market for low resolution clothing and hair for your crowds.

Isn't that what decimator does?  And it's not just the poly-count - it's the texture maps too.  4096x4096 times diff/spec/bump/norm/trans times figures really adds up.  Removing bump/normal (and even trans when possible) maps from distant figures helps, as does reducing texture size with that free script.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Here's something I did in maybe 5 minutes after downloading a freebie crowd PNG (with alpha), and duplicating it 3 times and rendering in Blender. Real quick and easy, and especially for a dimly lit background like you showed I think you can tweak something real quick to get nice results. Maybe even add a bit of haze or something. 

Just a thought.

Crowd.PNG
    1285 x 509 - 461K
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 2017
    Fixme12 said:

More good tutorials in shop & hey what about some Dazstudio 5.

In various posts, you keep wanting Studio 5.

What will it provide that Studio 4 is not capable of doing? What is this nirvana you seek?

Back on topic:

Better Blender integration - which is already pretty good imo.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • A modular capital (big) spaceship. 

Not greebles or doodles or bits and parts, but BIG sections, many big sections so that you could build every ship in the fleet- from frigate to tanker to mothership to destroyer.
    We have modular ruins.   We have modular dungeons.      Modular houses....

Preferably NOT based on a major license like Star Wars or Star Trek.

Lots of textures and no sensible markings.

Not based on common geometric shapes. And so, I shouldn't squint and see two rectangles and a tube, plus a square--  when I look at the overall shape.

Lots of turning or moving parts, like fins and flaps, etc.....

-

If I were to do 3D art, this would be my focus.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 2017

What would I like to see:

More sets and costumes inspired by parts of the world other than Eurofantasy and pseudo Asia.... or even more variation in the pseudo Asia (Cambodia, Thailand... that whole northern coast of the Indian ocean...)

More sets with doors that lead off of them, even if there's nothing beyond them but a brief false hallway - or even nothing.  More shops need doors that could be break rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, etc.  And more rooms need doors that could lead to the rest of the house/apartment/flat.

More special effect shaders in Iray.  I like the auras that SY and Fuseling did, but I want to do stuff like pwEffect's flames without needing more than simple tiling maps.  And ghost effects.

More small Stonemason sets so I actually might be able to afford some more. :D

More dForce development.

More boots/costumes with heavy heels (as opposed to stillettos/spikes They can be 5" high, just not stillettos, please. :))

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • More fantasy appropriate scenes and buildings from Stefan Morrell (Stonemason).

My preference would be "Streets of Suburbia".

While more Stonemason of any kind is always worth looking forward to, the original poster's wish for "more normal, every day, real world stuff" is something I would appreciate too. Hence, suburbia. Yes, there are some individual houses available from other vendors you can try to kitbash into a neighborhood, but it lacks the cohesiveness you find in Stonemason's wonderful environments.

Happy Almost-New Year folks! :)

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

While more Stonemason of any kind is always worth looking forward to, the original poster's wish for "more normal, every day, real world stuff" is something I would appreciate too. Hence, suburbia. Yes, there are some individual houses available from other vendors you can try to kitbash into a neighborhood, but it lacks the cohesiveness you find in Stonemason's wonderful environments.

Good point.  I'd also like more "Urban residential" which is to say more bungalows (I have the old Collective 3D one, I want a few more variations) and two flats and such.  Collar suburbs (at least around Chicago) tend to look more like residential neighborhoods in the city than what most people envision when it comes to Suburbia.

JamesJAB said:

...yesyes

edited December 2017
    kyoto kid said:

More cute little furry animals from Alessandro Mastronardi (you can never, ever have too many cute little furry animals)

Cheers,

Alex.

...yes on the critters.   Especially an updated cat (which I thought he was working on) and a European badger.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Good point.  I'd also like more "Urban residential" which is to say more bungalows (I have the old Collective 3D one, I want a few more variations) and two flats and such.  Collar suburbs (at least around Chicago) tend to look more like residential neighborhoods in the city than what most people envision when it comes to Suburbia.

...he was working on such a set several years ago but not sure what happened.

• Never thought I'D say this but more boys, please

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,688

Never thought I'D say this but more boys, please

Sakura wants a hot boyfriend.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

Cheers,

Alex.

...yes on the critters.   Especially an updated cat (which I thought he was working on) and a European badger.

I'm a dog person so this the one thing I wouldn't be interested in, personally. I think it would make commercial sense, however.

If the number of cat renders I've seen over the last year is anything to go  by, an updated cat would go down very well.  How about a base cat morph (like the rodents) with various add-ons for the individual breeds?

Cheers,

Alex.

...that's what I was thinking.  I also agree that Mil Dog has become a bit "long in the tooth" as well.  What good is a poodle without that curly hair, or a golden retreiver without that lovely ginger coloured coat?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I'm surprised that cats & dogs don't sell but they must not of because what are they called? Millenium Cat & Millenium Dog and that was nearly 20 years ago. I don't mind but please get word out to my neighbors. 

Personally my number one wishlist item is LAMH 2.0 with save functionality to save in LAMH Catalyst format.

Seeing as I still only want Guy 8, Girl 8, and Boyfriend of Sakura 8. I will probably just buy AM animals and PC+ items with my coupons this PC+ calendar year. I could stand to add more hair styles too.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762

Isn't that what decimator does? 
    And it's not just the poly-count - it's
     the texture maps too.  4096x4096
     times diff/spec/bump/norm/trans times figures really adds up. 
     Removing bump/normal (and even trans when possible)
    maps from distant figures helps, as does reducing texture size 
    with that free script."

I use Both options you mentioned
    as an animator scene optimization is crucial.
    the  30+ people watching the video carousel
    in the clip linked,
    were decimated in DS before exporting to Maxon C4D
    they are about 3000 polys each.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2TYEp536iB8aVBBdHJWRE9jODg/view

I'm surprised that cats & dogs don't sell but they must not of because what are they called? Millenium Cat & Millenium Dog and that was nearly 20 years ago. I don't mind but please get word out to my neighbors. 

Personally my number one wishlist item is LAMH 2.0 with save functionality to save in LAMH Catalyst format.

Seeing as I still only want Guy 8, Girl 8, and Boyfriend of Sakura 8. I will probably just buy AM animals and PC+ items with my coupons this PC+ calendar year. I could stand to add more hair styles too.

...the dog and cat have been needing serious upgrading for a while, even some of the stock poses (at least for the cat) tend to distort the mesh. 

The Horse got an upgrade a couple years ago as did the Big Cat, and the Dragon had two, I believe, since I started in this.  Aside with a couple riding horses, two English Mastiffs (which usually guard the hallway to Leela's bedroom at night) and and an English Shorthair cat, the Grand manor has neither a resident Dragon or Lion.

Though the pic I did years ago of Leela scolding the Catoblepas after it got into mum Grande's sweets again was fun.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Never thought I'D say this but more boys, please

yesyesyes

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

I'd really like:

A chihuahua. A bag to hold him in. Food dish, and toys with food. Up to date. Both Apple head and deer.

Grocery and shoppy center. I know some exist, but, a whole checkout experience would be nice.

Sweat brushes. Not foam, water, drops, whatever sweat, and perspiration.

Eating poses with half-eaten food

Beds with bedding which is dforable.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited January 2018

Less (or even better, none) of the creepy jailbait promo art. I don't need to see an adolescent or pre-adolescent 3DUniverse girl making pouting kissy-faces in her lead promo image, nor what looks like a sixteen year old arching her back and sticking her rear end out in order to promote a (mildly risque) anime cosplay type outfit.

Dforce friendly cloaks and pants. (For Genesis 3 would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath on that part.) More Dforce friendly period and fantasy cloth

Post edited by Odaa on
    edited January 2018

...hear hear. on both accounts.  If they can give away a dForce sweater for the old Mil Dog, we should be able to have dForce clothing for G3.  Or how about a retro fit clone like the one that is available for G3 to G2?

Also: "Babushka" styled hair and scarf, and real "messy" hair (I still find myself going back to Koz's Gen3 Messy Hair and April's Gen4 Osean Hair).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

I would also like to see more dforce clothing for earlier figures (G3 and G2 particularly, but even V4/M4).

Also, a broader range of historical clothing and sets for earlier historical periods, say Bibical Times back to Bronze Age or earlier.  Particularly for Middle East and UK regions.   I would like to see some sets from UK region with brochs, crannogs, hill forts, and maybe a chambered passage tomb.  There are some pretty good megalithic sets for standing stones, but more are always welcome.  A very detailed celtic longhouse with interior would be great (something of an earlier period then Mog Ruith).  Of course, I realize that in many cases we don't really know what some of these things looked like in detail, but historians have attempted reconstructions and depictions based on what is known  (I like the depictions of the Brochs, round stone tower forts in the Northern UK, with big wooden conical roofs, but there is no proof that they had them.)

More furry creatures always welcome.

More urban/suburban sets from early 1900's to present.

More realistic, practical, historical armor, both male and female.  Female skimpware armor from Frederick's of Londinium or Queen Victoria's Secret is great for some projects, and I have bought plenty of it (ok, maybe most of it : )  ), but some of a more practical and historical nature is needed for other projects.

More Mechs!  While there are a lot of fine mech models available, more is always good, particularly power-armor, piloted types that don't resemble too much those in games or Manga, etc.

And one that is probably too specialized:  A set with Karst Towers, like near Guilin and along the Lee River in China, and in Ha Long Bay in Vietnam.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited January 2018

Textures that are a little more realistic (ie, not so clean) for things like clothes AND sets. Real walls have dirt, cobwebs...at least some cracks, even in the cleanest house. I'd love to see some clothing texture sets that have tears, worn spots and a little dirt. ;)

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Stonemason Suburban Cul-de-Sac would be nice and fit the size niche of a lot of his Streets Of sets.

Sakura Boy.... Though preferably one who isn't just a direct port but one that actually observes the dimorphic split between anime boys and girls. I need to make me some Atelier Sophie fan art. >.>

I too would like a big spaceship-constructor. Maybe even two: one of the greebled 'hard' style and one of the flowing elegant style. It'd be a huge project, though, and not copying existing designs means doing new designs, which makes it even harder. Still. I can hope. Though heck I'd probably buy a tutorial that gave me tricks for faking the outside look of such a ship and the inside could be faked with more of what we have now....

I'm excited about the idea of a new dog model. Hope that happens.

More Precious stuff.

I picked up 3d-Coat when it was on sale on Black Friday. I'm hoping I can make some of my own content this year.